Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Chasiubao posted:

I was level 83 when I learned you could upgrade jewelry and had an entire voice chat of people yelling at me for being an absolute dummy.

And I'll fuckin do it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Here’s how it’s gonna work, you’re gonna play season 1 and quit after a few weeks with one or two high level chars. You’re gonna skip some seasons. In a year or so you’ll get the ARPG itch and be like “hey I should see what’s up with the current season” and you will and you’re gonna play it like it’s a new game and then quit after a few weeks with one or two high level characters. You’re going to do that for eleven years.

Posting from about a couple hundred posts in the past to say that I appreciate the sanity of this take thank you.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

WarEternal posted:

lol, they seriously put "Serial" and "Predator" right next to each other?

There's no way that happened by mistake.

https://i.imgur.com/RnnClRW.mp4

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
Salty menace

As for damage percents as a rogue I’ve got +300% vulnerable and +200% crit with a couple extra conditional crit% boosts on 40% crit chance plus conditional crit chance boosts

Right around 60 nm dungeons

Frost flurry build with emphasis on attack speed and mass barrier building for defense

It’s pretty ok

Having difficulty pushing beyond low 60s nm dungeons cuz as a melee build I get hit a lot and some things just one shot me, even with +1200 health and full 76% barrier

Having fun though

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

I like silly titles, so my sorc is Bossy Boots

molestrios
Jan 21, 2020
I am Potential Stalker, did they get rid of that one too :(

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

zoux posted:

If I don't get Tempest Roar this weekend I shall become this thread's foremost Hater

Cannibal and cultist enemies have the highest drop rate of helms. I got my first running dungeons with them as a main enemy type and didn’t like the roll so started spamming them again to get another. Just had another drop from a cannibal elite. Godspeed my friend

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Doomykins posted:

Oh that's a sweet strategy and not too bad, 14 hours to pop off in an ARPG. Thanks for the advice.

as far as i know the Anicas Claim solo is still the fastest for low levels and then doing Hoarfrost Demise.

RoyalkubsTV on youtube has a video explaining the whole thing. it’s about 4-5 hours to go 1-50 solo. if you just get boosted by people it’s like an hour. if you do nothing but NMDs at ~50+ and do them at about 3-4 levels higher than yourself you can get to 100 solo in about 24 hours

i don’t know if this is comparable to other games or seasonal expectations

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Enigma posted:

What does the mechanic "up to a X% chance to [do a thing]" mean? What is the "up to" based on, and why isn't it just always X%?

For example, Rogue's Exposure key passive says "Lucky Hit: Dealing damage to an enemy affected by a Trap skill has up to a 25% chance to: [do stuff and things]."

Edit: As I understand, if your lucky hit chance is, say, 50%, and an effect says "Lucky Hit: 10% chance to [do a thing]," then 10% of your lucky hits, i.e. 50% * 10% = 5% of your regular attacks [do a thing]. If that's correct, then this is replacing the second number with, what?

not sure if this has been answered yet but the way luck works from my understanding is that each skill has a lucky hit % that is unchanging, and that all your lucky hit on gear/skill tree is additive to your lucky hit procs, and you need to hit both to get a lucky hit. to get an accurate lucky hit chance you'll have to take the lucky hit proc you want, add your lucky hit bonuses, then multiply it by the lucky hit chance of the skill you're using.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

My HC character is Anointed Sacrifice. Still kicking, but someday...

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

wizard2 posted:

Silly question for teh thread: What game started Prefix/Suffix titles for your player avatar? I love that poo poo. RN I am an Apprentice Witch. :) I know Animal Crossing New Horizons did it?

i went for “small skull” because i have a small brain

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
BeatAss the Furious Ravager

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

McCoy Pauley posted:

I was playing a Helltide in Hawezar last night and came across a public event I'd never seen before with a giant tornado and all these enemies you had to kill and then destroy a bunch of effigies around the outside of the tornado. I cleared it with a friend who was in my party, but it occurred to us afterwards that the enemy density was so thick during that event we might have been better served just to keep it running as long as possible to grind up cinders.

I'm not sure I've ever tried to slow roll a public event and not beat the mastery timer, but can you do that? If you avoid doing whatever mini-goals are associated with the public event (like in this case breaking the effigies) will enemies just keep spawning as long as you want? Or do public events time out on their own at some point after you fail to master them?

like the other guy said they burn out yeah, but the pro move -is- to make the events take as long as possible but then still get the mastery because the mastery chest has more cinders in it.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Rosalind posted:

Thanks for sharing your racist and homophobic character names! Very cool!

turn on your monitor lol

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Swilo posted:

This is why I usually run past them or nope out of the room in dungeons. The events are all so uniform and bland and involve waiting around between waves. There's no way to do them faster by playing better or penalty for doing them slowly. Also the rewards are garbage.

in helltides specifically they are the fastest way to get cinders, minus leeching from a 4 stack clearing the one area in dry steppes or kejistan that has quick respawning mobs in that one cave area

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 7, 2023

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
my group once farmed a portal invasion event for quite a while by leaving all the portals up. it was just a constant stream of mobs for a few hundred easy cinders

then i tried doing it by myself a few days later and the waves seemed to stop spawning, so i just killed the portals and the boss and went on my way. maybe the successful farm had something to do with the extra players, i dont know

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

thats not candy posted:

my group once farmed a portal invasion event for quite a while by leaving all the portals up. it was just a constant stream of mobs for a few hundred easy cinders

then i tried doing it by myself a few days later and the waves seemed to stop spawning, so i just killed the portals and the boss and went on my way. maybe the successful farm had something to do with the extra players, i dont know

i’ve done that one solo a couple times and yeah it always seemed like the portals sent out one wave and then went dormant. never done it in a group or seen big waves from that event

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I just got disconnected by Blizzard during an Act III cutscene of this single player game and reconnecting shows my progress was set back like 20 minutes.

Man the future is cool.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I'd like to mess around with Barb before season 1 and I don't know too much about them. What are pros and cons of HotA / WW / Thorns / etc (stomp/kick?) with regards to solo and group play in the 50-100 range. Probably not going to be doing any NMD's above 60 anytime soon. Starting off @50+.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

So I just got disconnected by Blizzard during an Act III cutscene of this single player game and reconnecting shows my progress was set back like 20 minutes.

Man the future is cool.

We love always online, don't we folks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Time posted:

Cannibal and cultist enemies have the highest drop rate of helms. I got my first running dungeons with them as a main enemy type and didn’t like the roll so started spamming them again to get another. Just had another drop from a cannibal elite. Godspeed my friend

Just got it, out of a chest in Earthen Wound. NOw I am become wolf

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Tonetta posted:

not sure if this has been answered yet but the way luck works from my understanding is that each skill has a lucky hit % that is unchanging, and that all your lucky hit on gear/skill tree is additive to your lucky hit procs, and you need to hit both to get a lucky hit. to get an accurate lucky hit chance you'll have to take the lucky hit proc you want, add your lucky hit bonuses, then multiply it by the lucky hit chance of the skill you're using.
Lucky hit from gear and whatnot is additive to itself, and multiplicative to the final chance.

So the math is (lucky hit of proc) x (lucky hit of skill) x (sum of lucky hit from gear etc).

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Time posted:

Is there a guide anywhere for which dungeons have which mobs?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a guide anywhere for which dungeons have which mobs?

yep

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Something about knowing that some drops are weighted to certain mobs doesn't sit right with me.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

odinson posted:

I'd like to mess around with Barb before season 1 and I don't know too much about them. What are pros and cons of HotA / WW / Thorns / etc (stomp/kick?) with regards to solo and group play in the 50-100 range. Probably not going to be doing any NMD's above 60 anytime soon. Starting off @50+.

HotA does all of its damage in its vuln + crit windows, so it’s very spiky. if they don’t change the way the aoe earthquake aspect works, if you play on controller, it’s really hard to reliably get the double damage dip that requires you to aim away/to the side of mobs

WW is pretty fun but not much for variety. shout + spin. not great at single target stuff, so running from the end of one pack to the next is the way to play, constantly in the move. +close damage isn’t snapshotting in a logical way, so ignore it in favor of core damage. suppressor mobs are annoying because you have to stop spinning and start inside their aura, because of snapshotting

gear for both of these is largely the same if you don’t do the bleed WW but instead do hammer. hota likes +max fury where WW doesn’t care. you’d want +4 Hota gloves or WW gloves but all the other stats are more or less interchangeable, i guess minus the quaking aspect for hota

both of them work much better with drop-only aspects, bold chieftain, echoing, and uh one other one.

thorns/kick/leap just got a maybe unintentional nerf of 50-75% with the recent change where aspects only scale with item power instead of character level. it was very easy/nice to just apply aspects from codex for those builds and get decent damage. now you have to farm/keep good rolls for them like with other builds. i don’t know how limiting this is for average non end game use or whatever, but because they retroactively nerfed already applied aspects too i can’t go and test if new rolls do alright damage.

e: missed the part about group play, uhh

kick and the like in group play are annoying to play with because of the way they move monsters. thorns relies on monsters attacking you only (minus needleflare) so you can taunt for some time but not 100%. any triple shout build can be very helpful to groups but WW is probably the best for that. grasping WW groups up guys, you don’t need to worry about bad ST dps, spin to win. hota is also fine because most stuff will die in your 3s vuln window and you’ll have other people helping to keep mobs vuln too. less reliant on dense mob packs for best effect as well.

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 8, 2023

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

King Cocoa Butter posted:

Yeah, I think this is the big sticking point for a lot of folks. If leveling to 50/the point where your character comes online was doable in an afternoon solo like in other ARPGs, then fine. Even casual players will get a few characters up by the end of the season. But since it's such a long slog to level in D4, people are rightfully balking at the reset, because many of them have been playing "hard" (for them) since release and are still just now barely breaking into WT3.

It's gonna be September before a many folks see NM dungeons in S1 and that kind of sucks!

Edit: people saying leveling alts is fast, how many hours is it taking you to get to WT3 solo? What are you running?

do u think casual players are getting a poe character into maps in an afternoon. or a d2 character to doing baal hell runs ro whatever else. what planet do you live on? just talking nonsense lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
guyssss other arpgs (only diablo 3) you can get to end game in like 2 hours (im only talking about diablo 3 i do not like any other arpg) they cant just make an ARPG take 10 hours to hit end game, no one will like this (i loving hate that this game isnt d3 and i would be happier just playing d3) its just hosed!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I am Fragrant Goat.

Just how rare are uniques? I've found a grand total of two, both utterly rubbish. This game is missing that nostalgic dopamine hit from seeing the gold item text.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Regular uniques, not so rare. Late game you'll probably see one every 1-2 nightmare dungeons, helltides drop a lot. I killed the helltide bug twice yesterday and it dropped a unique both times

the six chase uniques are mega rare, like Zod rune/mirror of kalandra rare, and only drop from 85+ monsters, and afaik they're currently disabled entirely

edit: looks like they were just re-enabled a little while ago

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 8, 2023

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
also why is getting 2 weeks of fun out of a season a negative for D4 but what everyone liked about D3 seasons?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

yay!

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons
Stone Collector here; is there any way to disable/override the auto targeting on console? It is messing with my Trampleslide something fierce and I don't have the uniques for the bear/wolf heavy builds.

E: also, is there anything I should be doing at level 60 besides finishing up the side quests and doing helltides in WT3?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

You can give yourself the title The Claw. Green and blue Barb named Pizza Planet

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Well PizzaPlanet because of space hatred by Blizzard

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I think all of my characters are Dire Trash

also that's their titles

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

almost1337 posted:

is there any way to disable/override the auto targeting on console?

You can lock-on to a specific enemy to have a bit of control but otherwise not much you can do.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

harrygomm posted:

also why is getting 2 weeks of fun out of a season a negative for D4 but what everyone liked about D3 seasons?

D4 specifically advertised their seasons are bigger and better so delivering the standard content patch update of "1 system to grind, some content" feels underwhelming. S1 coming so soon after release makes it feel extra awkward too.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I like being "The Goat" and also later "Lilith's Goat."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Equestrian Eater checking in.