Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

youknowthatoneguy posted:

How about the fact that they don't play the Chocobo theme when you ride one in FF16? What kind of bullshit is that?

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Glad I decided to wait for the PC release so I can mod that poo poo in day fuckin one

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Did you think you could ride that chocobo? (that's the best version of the theme, fight me, it's a brilliant shitpost) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
The challenge dungeons in Grim Dawn have a few really annoying features:

Cannot save and quit in them. I had my graphics card poop out on me, or something updated or whatever, for a second very shortly into my first one of these. Restarting the game had me booted out to the closest town, wasting what was at the time a super rare skeleton key, and is still kind of uncommon.

Cannot reset themselves. If you fail out of one because, for example, you were surprised to see a merchant and went into their trade menu only to be bombarded from enemies you thought were well outside of aggro range, the game wants to make you do the whole thing over again. However, it puts that burden on you, making you quit out to the main menu instead of resetting it during your death.

It's not exactly a challenge dungeon specific thing, but the cooldowns on potions are surprisingly long for something it's trivially easy to collect several hundred of. I'm so flooded with them that I could probably sit there for half an hour chugging them, even after I decided to stop keeping new stacks two acts into a four act game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shovel knight pocket dungeon: money carries over after the end of a run if you die, but not if you abort the run.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

bawk posted:

What the gently caress

It plays the jingle as you get on but then goes back to the zone music.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Red Minjo posted:

The challenge dungeons in Grim Dawn have a few really annoying features:

Cannot save and quit in them. I had my graphics card poop out on me, or something updated or whatever, for a second very shortly into my first one of these. Restarting the game had me booted out to the closest town, wasting what was at the time a super rare skeleton key, and is still kind of uncommon.

Cannot reset themselves. If you fail out of one because, for example, you were surprised to see a merchant and went into their trade menu only to be bombarded from enemies you thought were well outside of aggro range, the game wants to make you do the whole thing over again. However, it puts that burden on you, making you quit out to the main menu instead of resetting it during your death.

It's not exactly a challenge dungeon specific thing, but the cooldowns on potions are surprisingly long for something it's trivially easy to collect several hundred of. I'm so flooded with them that I could probably sit there for half an hour chugging them, even after I decided to stop keeping new stacks two acts into a four act game.

Also what makes that most annoying about the challenge dungeons is that for the majority of the game they're usually the best way to level up or grind items if you need to. So once you finish one or die, it's back out to the menu. And if you forget to collect items before you leave: gently caress you. Also the second DLC, the forgotten gods one, I found to be really boring in terms of environments and content.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Finally finished TOTK. I'm pretty sore about activating all the lightroots. I assumed you must get something cool for doing it. No. You just get a medal that does nothing but sit in your inventory.

A thing that is probably just a me problem is that after over a hundred hours of playing, I still couldn't reliably parry or flurry rush. I wish there was an accessibility menu where I could toggle some visual or audio cue for incoming strikes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Did you think you could ride that chocobo? (that's the best version of the theme, fight me, it's a brilliant shitpost) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

M... mods?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

TotK has to be a different timeline than the BotW we experienced.
There's no way all the towers, shrines, guardians, and divine beasts are just gone, with so few NPCs mentioning them and leaving no holes in the ground/underground.

Didn't get too far into Age of Calamity but I assume it ends with the mini guardian hitting a reset button poorly.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The implementation of the abilities you’re rewarded with for beating the dungeons in TotK sucks. You get an AI buddy who fights alongside you with an ability you toggle by talking to them, which can be hell to do in combat, and good luck if you have more than one out and you want a specific ability. One especially loooves charging into melee, but has an ability that interacts with your bow and arrows.

I’ve mostly accepted durability, but one thing that annoys me is that while most Zonai devices seem pretty indestructible, wings and hot air balloons are not. They just wink out of existence after flying a certain distance, we’ll before your batteries drain, and also not nearly enough to reach some distant sky islands.

I’ve run into the maximum capacity for brightbloom seeds, a very common material. Obviously I could just sell them off, but I’ll get more money if I cook them first, even if the food you get is useless, and that’s tedious.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BioEnchanted posted:

drat, I didn't know Shootie HG had multiple songs in FF games. This is one of several jingles for the Happy Turtle bar in the FF7 Remake DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A968HyZXUcU

Also, this is clearly the best version of the Chocobo theme (also from FF7 Remake).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMte_qgxa8

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

I’ve run into the maximum capacity for brightbloom seeds, a very common material. Obviously I could just sell them off, but I’ll get more money if I cook them first, even if the food you get is useless, and that’s tedious.

lol if only there was a solution

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

replaying RDR2 was great until i got to the loving songbird hunting requests. i'm having arthur grow his beard out in rage

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Dr Christmas posted:

The implementation of the abilities you’re rewarded with for beating the dungeons in TotK sucks. You get an AI buddy who fights alongside you with an ability you toggle by talking to them, which can be hell to do in combat, and good luck if you have more than one out and you want a specific ability. One especially loooves charging into melee, but has an ability that interacts with your bow and arrows.

I really think that TotK could have been well-served with a complete revamp of the control scheme. I don't know exactly how I would do it, but some kind of "assign items/abilities to buttons" scheme like zelda games used to have in the pre-BotW era could have worked better maybe. It's hard because the game is trying to do so much poo poo all at once.

At the very least, they could've put companion abilities on d-pad down, a button that is otherwise worse than useless (multiple times i have been sneaking up on a group of enemies, tried to select a different weapon, and accidentally alerted all the enemies with a whistle).

Dr Christmas posted:

I’ve mostly accepted durability, but one thing that annoys me is that while most Zonai devices seem pretty indestructible, wings and hot air balloons are not. They just wink out of existence after flying a certain distance, we’ll before your batteries drain, and also not nearly enough to reach some distant sky islands.

This is probably the biggest bullshit in the game. I guess they don't want you to just fly forever but you can still just make a quadcopter (a design the game explicitly teaches you about) and fly forever anyway so I don't get the point of making wings and balloons disappear.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Just let me remap the controls, please. It's not hard and spits in the face of accessibility.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Totk has some of the most barebones options I think I've seen in games in a long time, it's kind of embarrassing honestly. Games have been including multiple controller button layouts since the early 2000s. Zero accessibility settings. There aren't even volume settings.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I don't understand why in Tears of the Kingdom, you don't get a heal every time you fast travel. Instead you have to go to Lookout Landing, sleep in the bed, and then go to wherever you are going. There's no reason why I should have to take a 15 second detour every time.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Konstantin posted:

I don't understand why in Tears of the Kingdom, you don't get a heal every time you fast travel. Instead you have to go to Lookout Landing, sleep in the bed, and then go to wherever you are going. There's no reason why I should have to take a 15 second detour every time.

I think it's to encourage you to return to hub areas in the world. You can't get free health without going to a stable or city, and while you're there you're likely to stock up on items and look around. You might hit a sidequest you missed, turn one in you completed, start another one in a chain of quests, etc. but all roads have to go through a town. Even the free beds you get in Hateno or outside Tarrey Town put you adjacent to a hub of some kind.

The alternatives are: forcing you to engage with the cooking system, utilizing select hot spring/fairy fountain locations, or discovering a Rauru's Blessing shrine and choosing to not get the reward item so you can pick it up later + the free health refill. It fits with the design theme they worked on for BOTW, where they want to get you standing at spot A so they can put B, C, D, etc. on the horizon or lay out the bait with sidequests to point you in certain directions. TOTK is very much a game where you're being drawn one way or another based on the systems interlocking in specific ways like that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Why you can't just queue up cooking by recipe and play the animation once instead of holding and dropping everything into the pot is beyond me. Batch cooking is what we want!

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

They seem to be fond of using tedium and annoyance as a balancing factor, which is just garbage game design in my book. Like, if you could really easily stock up on lots of meals, you'd almost never be at risk of dying because at any moment you can pause and eat as much healing food as you want, so they made it loving annoying to cook a lot in order to discourage you from doing that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

TOTK is probably harder if you have beaten BOTW beforehand than if you started from here.

Stuff that was out in the open like getting armour upgrades, respecing stats, improved runes, and even getting a paragilder is now gated behind quests that may not immediately obvious you can undertake.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Triarii posted:

They seem to be fond of using tedium and annoyance as a balancing factor, which is just garbage game design in my book. Like, if you could really easily stock up on lots of meals, you'd almost never be at risk of dying because at any moment you can pause and eat as much healing food as you want, so they made it loving annoying to cook a lot in order to discourage you from doing that.

Is that why I get to watch my friend strap a keese eyeball to every single arrow?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

On that topic, am I just watching uncreative people playing it or do you really have to drop the material and then activate Fuse to combine weapons every single time?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RareAcumen posted:

On that topic, am I just watching uncreative people playing it or do you really have to drop the material and then activate Fuse to combine weapons every single time?

If it isn't in your auto build pretty sure yes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's an all timer of a game, but it has its share of problems, Nintendo's allergy to sensible, non-repetitive interface options being a big one. See also Animal Crossing, a game mostly designed around building innumerable quantities of items, that also limits you to constructing a single item and watching the associated animation every time.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Just imagine how good Nintendo games would be if they didn’t hate you and your time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's an all timer of a game, but it has its share of problems, Nintendo's allergy to sensible, non-repetitive interface options being a big one. See also Animal Crossing, a game mostly designed around building innumerable quantities of items, that also limits you to constructing a single item and watching the associated animation every time.

I remember when Animal Crossing was all the rage people would say that anyone asking for batch crafting was minmaxing the fun away and making the game unchill lol

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

mycot posted:

I remember when Animal Crossing was all the rage people would say that anyone asking for batch crafting was minmaxing the fun away and making the game unchill lol

The amount of people I've run into who get like, actively mad, if you say you don't like the tool durability in the switch animal crossing has been absolutely wild. It's probably the most tedious part of the game, and all the workarounds for it just add an extra step to the tedium near on par with having to make a brand new tool!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I still can't believe they let you craft high tier golden tools, which use gold chunks to make, and you only get the recipe for after breaking 100 regular tools, and those still break. Like, gently caress me if I'm ever gonna waste a rare resource drop on that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bear in mind AC was big right at the start of Covid and everyone wanted it to eat a bunch all the free time we had and didn’t know how to deal with

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Post poste posted:

Is that why I get to watch my friend strap a keese eyeball to every single arrow?

I will accept that kind of tedium from Red Dead Redemption 2. Cooking individual meals, brewing potions, and picking berries is kind of that game's main selling point. You're supposed to stop and breathe in the boringness of it all.

Zelda isn't that sort of game, so it clangs.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Christmas posted:

Whistle during combat.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Barely possible to tell if that works

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Watching some Far Cry retrospectives finally elucidated the feelings I had about 4 and especially 5. I had chalked it up to the games shifting to a much more prominent co-op first design and almost chasing after Saints Row in a way, but two other points rang true:

1) For whatever else you want to say about 3's malformed and stupid story and Jason Brody as a character, the ludonarrative (:monocle:) of starting as a useless dweeb and growing into an apex predator is woven into the mechanics and story, which is cool. Meanwhile Ajay and the Deputy just kinda arbitrarily get stronger and grow from a vague and unclear baseline.

2) While none of the games eschew stealth entirely, lots of little tweaks to the formula have shifted things such that while you could oftentimes play 3 as a straight stealth game, by 5 they really want to push the action-heavy shaggy dog story generator thing. Not entirely dissimilar to how you're "supposed to" play Dishonored, stealthing at first but playing through the consequences of being spotted. Trying to play 5 solely as a stealth game was revealing a lot of weaknesses in the design and now I understand why.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Opopanax posted:

Bear in mind AC was big right at the start of Covid and everyone wanted it to eat a bunch all the free time we had and didn’t know how to deal with

Animal crossing coming out at the start of Covid was an enormous coincidence though. No triple A game has a 3 month dec cycle

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

I still can't believe they let you craft high tier golden tools, which use gold chunks to make, and you only get the recipe for after breaking 100 regular tools, and those still break. Like, gently caress me if I'm ever gonna waste a rare resource drop on that.

This is the one that annoys me the most. If the golden tools had been indestructible, they would have been worth the tedious effort to get them, and I would have happily grinded that poo poo just to get them. Or done whatever festival or event the game might have wanted. But, instead, no. gently caress you, they break.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing Arcade Paradise and while I understand putting little minigames onto random tasks it is just annoying when you're trying to deposit money in the safe.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
AWAY Shuffle Dungeon: The LGBT character would be cool if he wasn't a sex pest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

replaying Oblivion and god this loving level scaling system. God. God.