Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Polygynous posted:

"everyone who doesn't like elon is probably a pedo"

32k likes

The dude's most famous book includes a child gangbang scene. If you are going to make up poo poo you could start with things he actually did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

Never post the "funny SSIDs" you and your neighbors have online. Broadcast SSIDs are public information that can be tied to a physical address. Those Google street view cars aren't just collecting photographs. There are companies that drive around parking lots to sell your car's location data and they're likely selling geolocated SSID data as well.

I've got over 600k geolocated SSIDs in a database I've personally collected mostly by bicycle. I have access to a database of a billion more. Occasionally in the past I've DM'd people a picture of their house telling them to delete the "funny wifi network names" post.

Companies like Target know who you are the moment you walk in the door. Your phone has a list of wifi networks that's quite likely to be unique to your phone. It sends out broadcasts looking for those hotspots and those broadcasts can fingerprint your device. I thought about doing it myself to know when the cops were at my apartment complex: their phones would obviously be broadcasting that there trying to connect to the wifi at the station. SSID "BVAPCITY." (I looked that up in my database, btw)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

what on earth

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
at least the worst of the hate speechers are getting moderated on Threads and then running back to Twitter to cry about it

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Context posted:

My twitter (mostly podcast people) is basically a ghost town, but I can’t really tell if there’s a migration to Threads because I just keep seeing stupid grindset posts and Paris Hilton. I’ve missed posts my actual friends have made, that I’ve seen by clicking their profile.

I think Bluesky was picking up some steam with those tech/news types before, but I never got an invite so they might’ve lost their window.

In the article yesterday about dipshit threatening to sue meta for copying twitter it said bluesky only has 50k users and ~375k app downloads. Thats just a tiny user base compared to twitter and threads, when musk starting setting rate limits they paused signups because they got too much traffic.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Those settings are clearly for push notifications.

That's entirely possible, all's I know is since I set them my feed has been showing me less stuff I don't give a crap about, like ESPN or Rolling Stone. It's likely entirely unrelated to those settings, but so far I have no complaints :shrug:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

KakerMix posted:

I've not had a twitter ever, didn't auto follow anyone from my instagram when I made a threads account (meaning I had zero people I was following) and the thing had no idea what I wanted to see. Sports stuff right off the bat, ok fine but I don't sports, not even a little bit. Basketball and MLB and all that. Mixed in that was hiphop stuff, fashion and R&B and rap music things of which is fine I guess but certainly not my jam. A whole heap of blue checkmark people that I have no idea who they are. Makeup, fashion icons, quite literally stuff I have absolutely zero interest in. I thought facebook had dibs on everyone! I saw absolutely zero anti trans or hate or conservative anything, and I am a cis white dude in Florida that's almost 40 years old :c00l:

Blocking every brand and anyone with a blue checkmark I don't recognize has shifted everything to something that is better, but I've landed on Japanese photography. It seems like a bunch of people shitposting and that's pretty neat. Still nothing hateful or disrespectful at all, actually.

I get all dog pictures, pro wrestlers, thirst traps, poo poo posts, and yes, the japanese photography. So I think the algorithm has me figured out.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

StarkRavingMad posted:

at least the worst of the hate speechers are getting moderated on Threads and then running back to Twitter to cry about it

Ahahahahaha

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Oh you’re the poster who said 10% of Instagram users signing up for Threads in 12 hours was bad. I’m guessing 70 million is bad too. You don’t have to like Threads but pretending Twitter is fine is pathetic lol
im elon musk irl actually

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

this is very funny tho

twitter being the way it is now has removed their knowledge of how to thinly veil their bigotry

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

StarkRavingMad posted:

Nice. Eat poo poo, nerd.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Post the Japanese photography accounts

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

"Due to the unwillingness of the legal profession to defend the First Amendment right to post its own work product—legal documents—PlainSite is no longer available to the general public as of July 7, 2023 pending further notice. We sincerely apologize."

:argh:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I should start following some key people migrating from twitter because my Instagram was mainly titties, kitties, and foodies so I guess I need to catch any major newshounds.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

"Due to the unwillingness of the legal profession to defend the First Amendment right to post its own work product—legal documents—PlainSite is no longer available to the general public as of July 7, 2023 pending further notice. We sincerely apologize."

:argh:

Wait what happened, that was up this morning? Did Elon threaten to sue them for sharing the docket?

Edit: Oh this is Aaron Greenspan's website, who was banned from twitter last month for criticising Elon too much. So yeah that must be exactly what happened lol. I guess this is Elon's frivolous lawsuit arc.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 8, 2023

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

big black turnout posted:

Post the Japanese photography accounts

Just random ones that have popped up in my feed. I think I followed one so some may have been reposts by them

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Further Reading posted:

Wait what happened, that was up this morning? Did Elon threaten to sue them for sharing the docket?

Edit: Oh this is Aaron Greenspan's website, who was banned from twitter last month for criticising Elon too much. So yeah that must be exactly what happened lol. I guess this is Elon's frivolous lawsuit arc.
Here's the reupload of the PDF of the complaint at least, you can go to the California State Court site, click on case access, pass the captcha and search for the case number CGC23607461 to find the docket if you want to follow it yourself.

It's...not actually frivolous if the allegations are true or provable.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kazil posted:

hard to imagine why people want something besides Twitter

White people not understanding colorism within the latino community will never not be surprising to me.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

kw0134 posted:

Here's the reupload of the PDF of the complaint at least, you can go to the California State Court site, click on case access, pass the captcha and search for the case number CGC23607461 to find the docket if you want to follow it yourself.

*glances at current tire fire*

80 million sure doing a lot of heavy lifting given the dude's behavior and the steps necessary the board and shareholders took to protect themselves, and at this point, the general public, multiple governments, an entire gender, and basically the world itself from someone who cooooonstantly posts on all kinds of drug cocktails *and* brags about it.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

kw0134 posted:

Thank you for the reupload!

Wachtell is one of THE name brand BigLaw firms, so between Elon being Elon and them being an elite organization, I'm banking on them dotting their Is and crossing their Ts and this being frivolous. Time to peruse the complaint, of course.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Assuming the allegations are true, the payout was well after the deal's done, there's not $80 million worth of billable hours to do. There may be some particulars of California law I'm not familiar with but in general you don't get to charge five times your actual billed work for giggles.

To be clear: I'm not passing judgment on whether this in fact happened, and there may be a defensible reason for the fees. But Wachtell won't be able to scoff it off in the first motion to the court to get it dismissed and it will definitely proceed to discovery.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 8, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

If someone liked or responded to something on threads it appears on your timeline and that is why I am seeing a dozen "good morning 💜💜💜" posts I hate this faux positivity so much

Also I had to block at least 3 variations of lad bible accounts in different languages

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

kw0134 posted:

Assuming the allegations are true, the payout was well after the deal's done, there's not $80 million worth of billable hours to do. There may be some particulars of California law I'm not familiar with but in general you don't get to charge five times your actual billed work for giggles.

To be clear: I'm not passing judgment on whether this in fact happened, and there may be a defensible reason for the fees. But Wachtell won't be able to scoff it off in the first motion to the court to get it dismissed and it will definitely proceed to discovery.

The dude is not sane tbh

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
It’s funny that the complaint mentions multiple times that the fee represented 10% off the firms 2022 revenue for “just a few months” of work when it took a third of the year

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Lol up at 3am worrying about the trans

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Japanese photography

Just random ones that have popped up in my feed. I think I followed one so some may have been reposts by them

By the way I added these accounts hoping it will un gently caress my awful threads algorithm

I have since then had to block accounts called "the deepest sayings" and "mufti wisdom" and "influencers in the wild"

Thanks zuck

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Influencer gangs In your neighborhood

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

“Your thread on Threads”

Jfc what a bad idea

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's a threed

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I heard you like threads, so I put your threads on Threads.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The Saddest Rhino posted:

By the way I added these accounts hoping it will un gently caress my awful threads algorithm

I have since then had to block accounts called "the deepest sayings" and "mufti wisdom" and "influencers in the wild"

Thanks zuck

Can't outfuck the zuck

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

isnt dumbass already banned from other zuckbook products, like why would she think that she would sneak back in especially how Threadz is just kinda piggybacking on Instagram infrastructure right now?

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

ruddiger posted:

White people not understanding colorism within the latino community will never not be surprising to me.

I feel like we touched on the colonial hierarchy of Latin America extensively during my honors history class in sophomore year of high school, and revisited it briefly during senior year. If I had bothered to finish a college STEM degree by now, I probably could have gotten through without ever encountering it again. And if I hadn't taken the honors-level classes during high school, I probably never would have encountered that history at all.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Waffle House posted:

The dude is not sane tbh
Even so, he's definitely not the one who wrote the complaint and it's drafted and alleged perfectly reasonably. (Unlike a bunch of other suits I can think of that are clearly the client using the idiot lawyer to sockpuppet his rants.)

Hoshi posted:

It’s funny that the complaint mentions multiple times that the fee represented 10% off the firms 2022 revenue for “just a few months” of work when it took a third of the year
For a firm of Wachtell's size, given that Twitter wouldn't be your only, or possibly even your largest client, that's absolutely an outlier. And definitely not for M&A work that was essentially complete by the time the alleged bonuses were paid. It'd be like having 10 sales people, and somehow one guy in a single quarter made 10% of all your revenue. That's suspicious no matter how you slice it. It might be in fact innocent, but you're not going to wave that away without justification.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

kw0134 posted:

Even so, he's definitely not the one who wrote the complaint and it's drafted and alleged perfectly reasonably. (Unlike a bunch of other suits I can think of that are clearly the client using the idiot lawyer to sockpuppet his rants.)

That basically embodies Mr. Musk's behavior, yes. His lawyer is probably not an idiot, just on retainer.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kw0134 posted:

Yeah, it's not absurd, idk how the merits play out but it was clearly a last 'gently caress Elon lol' from the board. Wachtell earned their money though, that brief was incredible:. https://abovethelaw.com/2022/07/twitter-complaint-demonstrates-that-every-lawyer-everywhere-always-is-smarter-than-elon-musk/

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

best thing elon could do to kill threads in the cradle would be to make an account there and encourage all of the blue checks to follow him

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Waffle House posted:

That basically embodies Mr. Musk's behavior, yes. His lawyer is probably not an idiot, just on retainer.
Maybe, but there's a difference between writing a thinly veiled Twitter rant as a complaint (see, e.g., any number of Trump's civil suits that got dismissed) and this suit, which is a perfectly reasonable complaint that follows both the substantive and procedural laws in question. Wachtell is free to dispute the facts either in substance or as they are framed, and it may yet turn out the whole thing is a fabrication (which will get the lawyer sanctioned, see also the various Trump suits that get dismissed with a swing of a 20lb mallet) but the actual allegation isn't some galaxy brain nonsense that is clearly insane.

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, it's not absurd, idk how the merits play out but it was clearly a last 'gently caress Elon lol' from the board. Wachtell earned their money though, that brief was incredible:. https://abovethelaw.com/2022/07/twitter-complaint-demonstrates-that-every-lawyer-everywhere-always-is-smarter-than-elon-musk/
That brief was worth $18 million, deffo. Whether it was worth an additional $80 million is, uh, a bit harder to justify.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

sebmojo posted:

quote:

In addition to excluding, for example, market-wide and industry-wide effects and circumstances and declines in stock price and financial performance, the final definition excluded matters relating to or resulting from Musk’s identity or communications, “performance” of the agreement, and any matter disclosed by Twitter in its SEC filings other than the “Risk Factors” and “Forward-Looking Statements” sections of those disclosures. Id. Art. I.

Musk's behavior is a loving excellent bellweather for this.

His 'influence' and height, especially now that he "runs" Twitter is such a [conflict of interest?] that it/he is not only a Risk Factor, but affects not only the social media industry, but others as well, at full depth, breadth, and width, INTENTIONALLY.

If it can be Discovered that he uses bots and other false, fraudulent, or artificial means to affect undue influence on these industries, and yes, also stock prices (doesn't he short himself? What's up with all that crypto bearing his face that he never seems to file trade dress/infringement complaints against?) among other things, then that is extremely culpably complicit. If he has ever done it to rivals, or otherwise affected or manipulated markets, individuals, corporations, or anything remotely construed as an entity or structure, then he's a loving idiot.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

kw0134 posted:

For a firm of Wachtell's size, given that Twitter wouldn't be your only, or possibly even your largest client, that's absolutely an outlier. And definitely not for M&A work that was essentially complete by the time the alleged bonuses were paid. It'd be like having 10 sales people, and somehow one guy in a single quarter made 10% of all your revenue. That's suspicious no matter how you slice it. It might be in fact innocent, but you're not going to wave that away without justification.

every single lawyer response to it was that it was frivolous enough to be embarrassing and the lawyers should have refused to file it

as it was explained in cases such as this it's typical for firms to take fees up to 40-50% of the recovery amount, in this case they took something like .02% of the $44Bn they helped their clients recover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I definitely agree that the outgoing Twitter crew's motivation is probably a "gently caress you, Elon," but I'm interested to see Wachtell's response because it's impossible to imagine them not anticipating Elon trying to weasel out of this and preparing accordingly. Admittedly, this isn't my area of law at all, but my best recollection of corporate law is that boards get away with over-paying whoever the gently caress they want in the name of "business discretion."