Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Feldegast42 posted:

Also I wonder if they are going to run out of FF reference nostalgia to mine since they basically did all the hits except for Sephiroth (who I think they are saving for whenever the FF7 remakes finish up as a crossover event)

There are few if any references to FF2, 9, or 10 so far, aside from some glam and the wild rose running gag. And there's still plenty to mine from other games in the series that have only been touched on thematically, like 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Feldegast42 posted:

Also I wonder if they are going to run out of FF reference nostalgia to mine since they basically did all the hits except for Sephiroth (who I think they are saving for whenever the FF7 remakes finish up as a crossover event)

here comes Seymour

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

we gotta pocket necron until the end of the next arc

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
They've harvested some models from FFXIII, but haven't really integrated any plot points there yet as far as I know. I guess there was the weird crossover event with Lala-lightning? Was that a real thing or a fever dream I had?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
One of the earliest crossovers was Lightning just visiting Eorzea, in a similar manner to Noctis in the XV crossover. It's why there's Lightning and Snow's outfits on Mogstation, along with an assortment of weapons that INCLUDES single-handed WHM/BLM weapons. There was also an XI event with Shantotto.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

bobtheconqueror posted:

They've harvested some models from FFXIII, but haven't really integrated any plot points there yet as far as I know. I guess there was the weird crossover event with Lala-lightning? Was that a real thing or a fever dream I had?

It was a crossover event with Actual Lighting, with various FF13 weapons and Lighting / Snow outfits as rewards. That was years ago though and you can now buy them from mogstation iirc.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm waiting for 15 to come back, so I can get the glams and mount, but expecting it to end up on the Shop by the end of the year... :(

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Thundarr posted:

It was a crossover event with Actual Lighting, with various FF13 weapons and Lighting / Snow outfits as rewards. That was years ago though and you can now buy them from mogstation iirc.

Oh. Ok. So the fever dream part was where she was mysteriously transformed into a lalafell.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Wasn't Lightning somehow deposited into Paris at the end of Lightning Returns like Homer falling into the real world in that one Halloween episode or did I imagine the discourse around that

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

Wasn't Lightning somehow deposited into Paris at the end of Lightning Returns like Homer falling into the real world in that one Halloween episode or did I imagine the discourse around that

That is correct, yes. Lightning ends up in the real world at the end of the third game. It was weird, and I seem to recall had something to do with one of the lead devs being really into the character in a weird way, but this was ages ago in video game terms.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Feldegast42 posted:

That gets followed up on with everyone being in the real world and getting interview in the light novel Final Fantasy XIII: Reminiscence -tracer of memories-.

FF light novel sequels are also where we get cool plot points like Tidus kicking a blitzball-shaped bomb and exploding.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

bobtheconqueror posted:

That is correct, yes. Lightning ends up in the real world at the end of the third game. It was weird, and I seem to recall had something to do with one of the lead devs being really into the character in a weird way, but this was ages ago in video game terms.

I don't think that's canon so much as fanon because while the producer was definitely weird about Lightning, I don't think there was any connection between that and her ending up in Paris as a model necessarily.

The guy being weird about Lightning has to do with him giving some presentation and then talking about her at length while holding a rose and it was definitely weird though.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bruceski posted:

That's not for clock spreads, it's... call it pair spreads even though nobody pairs up. For the "supports stack, dps spread" or vice-versa that's the direction you go. Some groups did it as a circle and then unfolded it for the mechanic that's around the edge of the platform, others did it by edge and folded up for ones that allowed the full circle.

nah, it was clock spots 'cause then there'd be a second marker for everyone to shuffle into light parties then two more to make a square for inviolate spreads then usually another set for purgation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobtheconqueror posted:

No, that is something people decided was true because until FF16 FF13 was the reigning king of 'people make up stuff to get angry about'

The ending is literally 'we kill God and remake the universe free of the influence of his power' and the end result is modern day Earth to show a world without magic. That is it. It is a JRPG rear end ending but also like a bog standard JRPG ending.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 7, 2023

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I feel like we're leaving the full value of Kefka on the table by just having him be in the Sigmascape. I hope it turns out that was a simulated copy of him and he becomes aware of it, on whatever reflection he's on, and starts making plans to come burn the source down too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oneiros posted:

nah, it was clock spots 'cause then there'd be a second marker for everyone to shuffle into light parties then two more to make a square for inviolate spreads then usually another set for purgation

Dang, that's weird. Sorry I assumed there was logic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theironjef posted:

I feel like we're leaving the full value of Kefka on the table by just having him be in the Sigmascape. I hope it turns out that was a simulated copy of him and he becomes aware of it, on whatever reflection he's on, and starts making plans to come burn the source down too.

I think the issue there is that between Zenos and Fandaniel they already have done all the interesting Kefka stuff

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

ImpAtom posted:

I think the issue there is that between Zenos and Fandaniel they already have done all the interesting Kefka stuff

Yeah those two made a pretty good approximation of Kefka in the story and doing his arc would feel like retreading old ground. Endwalker covers Kefka's entire story arc except for the very beginning stuff which didn't need to be done (no villages to poison), you have his regicidal phase, his monomaniacal phase, his deicidal phase, all covered.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah those two made a pretty good approximation of Kefka in the story and doing his arc would feel like retreading old ground. Endwalker covers Kefka's entire story arc except for the very beginning stuff which didn't need to be done (no villages to poison), you have his regicidal phase, his monomaniacal phase, his deicidal phase, all covered.

And the very beginning stuff waa done in Stormblood!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
7.0 will need an antagonist and it's not like Square are shy or bad about reusing their greatest hits archetypes. Fanny was the most nihilistic bits of Kefka dialed up to 11 anyway so definitely room to mellow that. More World of Balance, less World of Ruin. At least until the story progresses.

As far as nostalgia baiting goes I don't think they've mentioned gigaton sources like 7(!!!) outside of Weapon arc/Gold Saucer or 10 which might be the two most popular overall. FF10 was a flagship PS2 title back when the PS2 slammed into normie/casual gaming like Dalamud into Eorzea. I'm sure there might be other references but nothing to the scale of the FF4/5/6/8 love. There's also gems like 9 and 12 and going to a new continent where the antagonist force has a bunch of imposing, imperial style badasses called Judges could be super cool. Maybe they're ripping aether out of the planet as "mako." ... Alright, well, there's room to adjust it and not just send in Garleans 2.0. FF7 had a lot going on and FF7Remake added even more. Clearly we will be fighting the Time Janitors.

I don't know anything about 13, 15 and we've got a huge lead time for 16 which is crossover event bait, haha. Basically 7.0 will be as "lacking" as the devs make it and they're in the middle of an incredible streak as the best in the genre for storytelling.

No geomancer no peace tho.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 7, 2023

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I want geomancer, Mystic Knight, beast master, Ranger... and ridiculously unlikely because WAR, but I'd like to see a Berserker too.

I'd happily accept a FFT style geomancer that's a kinda weird melee/magic hybrid.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Doesn’t RDM already fill the weird caster/melee niche?

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Technically I guess, but I was thinking more of an even balance between the two. Either way, I feel it would give the class better flavor than just being a more traditional caster.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Doesn’t RDM already fill the weird caster/melee niche?

There can be two! Flexible Geomancer and Mystic Knight with FF5 imbues and FFT Holy Swords would be a dream.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Some of the current plot is oddly reminicisent of the end of IX's plot. But it would definitely be cool to have Kuja show up at some point. The only issue is that he is basically an Ascian in IX's story and so they might've already *done* that beat.

I really really think it's going to be Merycydia. "Outer Continent" is a classic Final Fantasy trope! You could stick in all kinds of odd stuff. (Qu Tribe from IX, for instance.) And it just feels like a way to pivot the story in an interesting direction, where we're not just exploring over well-trodden ground.

I think an interesting question might be: when *do* they start to sunset the game? 7.0 and 8.0 will be fully fledged expansions I think. Can you get 9.0? 10.0? 10 is quite a nice number to finish on in some ways, and 4 more expansions will bring us fairly close to the 20 year mark when all is said and done. I guess a lot depends on what else CBU3 end up doing now that 16 is done.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

they won't sunset the game until LONG after they run out of interesting ideas. squeenix is a company that wants to make money, not an art collective

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
XI came out 21 years ago and seems to still get new content. I have to imagine that will sunset first.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

lines posted:

I think an interesting question might be: when *do* they start to sunset the game? 7.0 and 8.0 will be fully fledged expansions I think. Can you get 9.0? 10.0? 10 is quite a nice number to finish on in some ways, and 4 more expansions will bring us fairly close to the 20 year mark when all is said and done. I guess a lot depends on what else CBU3 end up doing now that 16 is done.

Everquest 1 still gets yearly updates.

WoW is undoubtedly actively making another major expansion and just released one 19 years in with an entire full-fledged class. They could be shaping up to try to finish things sometime(i.e. Azeroth ascends to Titan state and we beat up the Void Lords or whatever) but also Blizzard has demonstrated that they have enormous difficulty actually launching and supporting new IPs so risking the WoW golden goose(even on current day life support) for a WoW 2 isn't something predictable.

ESO is almost 10 years old and announced their next expac this year and is what I'd think of as a successful tertiary.

The only limitation of a MMO is success/money followed by success vs the dev teams willingness to keep going. A MMO has to be truly struggling to pay the server bills to get the axe. Or published by NCSoft. I do see your point about a clean finishing point, as it'd be a breath of fresh air for a developer(and liberating to Yoshi P perhaps) to say "we did a good job, keep the servers up but time for new things."

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I thought 11 was in a somewhat holding zone? Like, it's maintained, I have to imagine that will just run and run and run for both games, but I thought Rhapsodies of Vana'diel was somewhat the final big content drop for it? Thought I don't play it so I might just be incorrect.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

You'll eventually see a shrinking budget eating into the quality of content that can be released, but that's a long ways off, assuming Yoshida's previously dedication to a decade more of FFXIV support wasn't hot air. I also can't see them developing a new MMO any time in the immediate future with the League MMO sitting on the sidelines waiting to eat everyone's lunch, so betting on FFXIV being around in 12-14 years seems like a safe gamble.

lines posted:

I thought 11 was in a somewhat holding zone? Like, it's maintained, I have to imagine that will just run and run and run for both games, but I thought Rhapsodies of Vana'diel was somewhat the final big content drop for it? Thought I don't play it so I might just be incorrect.

They've been releasing new high-level content pretty regularly, though there haven't been any big ticket expansions since Rhapsodies. You might end up seeing something further down the line, since I know Yoshida's a big FFXI booster and the idea of a combined FFXIV/FFXI subscription that's been floated around would probably open up some more money towards small expansions or something similar.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 8, 2023

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I’d combine my sub, or at least take advantage of it. I tried 11 when it came out but it did nothing for me.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Vermain posted:

They've been releasing new high-level content pretty regularly, though there haven't been any big ticket expansions since Rhapsodies. You might end up seeing something further down the line, since I know Yoshida's a big FFXI booster and the idea of a combined FFXIV/FFXI subscription that's been floated around would probably open up some more money towards small expansions or something similar.

I'd love to experience XI in some way though every explanation of how to get a sub and install it I've ever seen looks approximately like instructions for launching a moon rocket, let alone actually playing it. I assume it is not beyond my wit if I actually bothered to figure it out, though.

I think the graphical update is the biggest concrete proof that Yoshida means it and that they are investing in XIV for the long-haul, certainly. Why do it otherwise?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I want geomancer, Mystic Knight, beast master, Ranger... and ridiculously unlikely because WAR, but I'd like to see a Berserker too.

I'd happily accept a FFT style geomancer that's a kinda weird melee/magic hybrid.

Berserker melee DPS based entirely around autoattacks :pseudo:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kitfox88 posted:

Berserker melee DPS based entirely around autoattacks :pseudo:

The most limited job.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I assumed there was logic.

a bad bet in na pf :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Failboattootoot posted:

The most limited job.

15 different buttons but all they do is change your auto attack in some way. Make it faster or hit harder or an AOE

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

lines posted:

I'd love to experience XI in some way though every explanation of how to get a sub and install it I've ever seen looks approximately like instructions for launching a moon rocket, let alone actually playing it. I assume it is not beyond my wit if I actually bothered to figure it out, though.

PlayOnline is a rare thing of wonder and I can't believe it's survived this long.

11 isn't without charm, but it's very dated at this point and I'm not sure you can sustain yourself through it without some nostalgia. The trusts make it soloable, but it's still a grindy Everquest-like from 2002. There's a nice LP currently ongoing if you just want to see the story bits without needing to personally murder quite so many crabs.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the problem with XI is the combat sucks rear end but also the classes are really cool

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So many crabs murdered, due to a quirk in monster design. Crabs had high defense and low offense, so they'd take forever to kill, but you can theoretically defeat them easier than a normal mob of the same level.

Also they would let you level your weapon skills, which was important fighting enemies who weren't crabs as missed blows could be deadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think there’s easily a universe where 14 lasts 20+ years as long as the devs don’t drop the ball hard enough to scare off too many subs. It’s probably the second largest MMO on the market (at least in the West) and makes a ton of steady yearly revenue and awards for SE. It’s not going to last forever or anything because nothing does, but WoW is basically that old. And at the very least the lights are still on on 11’s servers.