Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TwoQuestions posted:

No joke this might be a good use of excess money/construction capacity, you get a lot of prestige from a big-dick navy.
Oh absolutely. That and they take forever to staff up so I am always sprinkling in a few in my construction queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TBF if there's nothing YOU need to build you can just let your autonomous investment build instead. Let THEM gently caress up your infrastructure for you.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Gort posted:

So, a warning to other players - don't do what I did and tell a low population state to build a ton of mines with the idea that "it'll grow into them eventually".

What happens is the mines use a ton of infrastructure, which requires a ton of railways. All the people go to work in the railways and nobody makes it to the mines.

It's OK to not use your construction capacity if there's nothing that needs to be built.

This is what happens to late game AI single state countries and it's one of the reasons why the AI cannot manage a country because it won't remove the 20 railroads that it built and don't do anything.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Playing the US for the first time, has anyone worked out a way to prevent the Trail of Tears? Annex the Indian Territory day one or something?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Gort posted:

Playing the US for the first time, has anyone worked out a way to prevent the Trail of Tears? Annex the Indian Territory day one or something?

It's a canon event.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I've done it by getting a pacifist in government and abolishing colonialism, but by that point the expulsion was already almost complete so it wasn't really worth it, especially since it took a long time to get colonial expansion back. Iirc multiculturalism requires abolishing slavery and no one wants it that early anyway. So yeah, you're not really meant to stop it.

edit: happy independence day, I ended the Trail of Tears and it wasn't worth it :911:

Magissima fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 4, 2023

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

You used to be able to use the constant events that changed people to slaver/abolitionists to quickly stop it. I had it fire for Andrew Jackson, immediately abolished slavery, and instituted multiculturalism. With all the changes, multiculturalism is going to be impossible to implement before the event fires (you'd have to unlock human rights & have someone lead an interest group that would support it e.g., anarchists). I think removing colonialism is likely the best bet to avoid it. You can usually find an agitator to support no colonialism within a few years.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So I just started playing this game and I'm having a few newbie issues that I could use some help with.

How does one generally grow their country, population-wise and GDP-wise?

Which laws are a good idea to try to get early on?

What would you use your Authority on mostly in the early game and later on?

Is Free Trade good by itself or do I need Laisseiz-Faire to make it work?

Also I would like some tips how to run smaller nations like for example Sweden since I don't know what to aim for, should I try to invade for overseas territory/pops ASAP to get resources or not?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Koorisch posted:

So I just started playing this game and I'm having a few newbie issues that I could use some help with.

Also I would like some tips how to run smaller nations like for example Sweden since I don't know what to aim for, should I try to invade for overseas territory/pops ASAP to get resources or not?

Industrialization is it. Usually this is iron→pm2 tools→coal→steel→pm3 tools, turning on all the pms that take tools for greater output (not the one that take tools and/or coal for workforce reduction) as available.

The best early laws for most starts are anything that replaces an existing law that gives a flat buff to landowner political power, but that don't set the landlords on edge that they're about to be removed. Professional army and dedicated or militarized police are usually good starts at this, the questions of abolition and republicanism are the biggest ones but you can find yourself a civil war there in most situations.

If you're not an OPM and staying that way, decrees really fade in relevance other than when they're tied to events. Bolster/suppress are somewhat tactical, getting a group above or below the 20% or 5% breakpoints when they're close but not quite there; taxes on luxury goods, on the other hand, are almost always both a boon to the national budget to begin with--and can be used for reform, as you tax spare money out of the aristocracy's pockets reducing their influence and then feed it to the intelligentsia or the armed forces increasing theirs.

Free trade and laissez-faire are somewhat trap options; with both you're tying yourself to the AI making reasonable decisions and it often doesn't. Laissez-faire in particular removes your primary lever on your country. They don't have any particular interaction other than a third-order "exports of industrial goods make capitalists rich, and capitalists' surplus gets a bonus to investment pool contribution", so you can take the first without the second if you've got a strong and reliable export market, just beware that those can go away in a second if your counterpart goes to war.

At the current state of the game access to resources through trade and diplomacy is very weak, the AI often fails to dev it intensively even if you're buying as much as you can from them, even if you're in a customs union with them and bidding its price sky-high. So you kind of absolutely need to find yourself as Sweden coal and sulfur. Sulfur can come from Norway by either normal war or the unification of Scandinavia, coal is going to be a tough one that will require either war with a great power or picking off the right parts of Africa before the British and French get there.

E: Japan is balanced to do what Japan did, and the levers the game itself has for balancing countries are almost all on the material end rather than EU barely-mutable ideas and dominant culture or EU and HoI focus/mission trees, so quickly grabbing Kyushu for coal is a great idea if you don't care that it's terrible mapgore. Grab the whole country and your resource and labor problems other than opium (and, okay, oil if you reach the point of high-SoL endgame that you're rolling out private automobiles and mass adoption of plastics) are solved if you can get multiculturalism through.

As "terrible lessons to take from mapgames" go, there's probably quite a bit of writing to be done about how in V3 you really can and will use the resources of your colonies not just differently but better than the inhabitants knew how.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 7, 2023

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Koorisch posted:

Growth means either Open Immigration law or health care and worker safety. Immigration is the better route. Or just conquest from some high pop state that has a low standard of living. For example, anywhere in Japan, China, or Russia. Temporarily joining a larger nation's market to siphon their population is a worthwhile idea sometimes, especially if you're a South American country. Growing gdp means industry. Mandoric covered this, you want cheap iron and cheap tools. Your objective is to grow these so you can throw down construction sectors and build more iron and more tools, then throw down more construction sectors. Repeat.

Early game authority is dependent on where you are, what you have, and what you are doing. Suppressing interest groups keeps them from meddling in politics, but requires the group to be out of your current government - this means that to suppress the landlords you may have to tank legitimacy and that's actually not always worthwhile. Bolstering is good for passing a law that one and only one IG cares about. Otherwise, you use your authority for taxing services/other luxury goods to make money, or to temporarily pump resources for lumber/iron or to pump literacy if you're thinking for the long game.

Free trade/LF can be good, but can be bad. Intervensionalism is the safe pick with steady returns.

For early laws do what Mandoric said, but also try to end serfdom asap because serfdom locks you out of almost every other good law. Sometimes you want to boot the landlords out of the government early, but other times you can keep them in place and if you keep legitimacy above 90 you will get a steady tick of loyalists that will boost your loyalty of your interest groups - making it easier to pass laws in the future.

edit: what country are you playing? Because this will make it easier to give advice.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Depending on your country size, you might not need to directly conquer much territory to get a lot of migration. Custom Union members have free migration, so building up your market diplomatically can net you tons of free pops (Japan is the holy grail here, though you have to get its market open one way or the other). Since player economies usually have pretty high SoL, you'll soak up tons of pops from your union. If you're playing a Great Power, this is more viable mid-game than tearing off chunks of China. You do need to have laws which make them accepted though, so multiculturalism/some sort of religious freedom is necessary for this to work.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
How do you get multiculturalism, anyway? None of my IG's ever supported it while I played as Transvaal (it's currently 1930). I read that you need to get lucky and have an anarchist leader pop up for an IG, but that never happened to me (it seems they all leapfrogged anarchism and dove straight into communism / vanguardism instead).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It seems like no interest group approves of multiculturalism, so you'd have to get an agitator in or just plain get lucky with the leaders of your interest groups.

How do people play the discrimination game? I mostly just get to the most-permissive citizenship law I can (cultural exclusion) and run level 5 dedicated police to minimise the effects of the inevitable turmoil from discriminated pops, while running level 5 public schools to encourage as much assimilation as possible. Is there a better way?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Gort posted:

It seems like no interest group approves of multiculturalism, so you'd have to get an agitator in or just plain get lucky with the leaders of your interest groups.

Yeah you gotta find an intelligentsia/trade unions/possibly other IG agitator that's extremely in favor of multiculturalism and then invite them to take over the IG in your ruling party (tried to look up what kind of agitator you need but of course the wiki doesn't have that info, or practically any detailed info). IIRC in my recent France game I was able to pick one up by around 1870, but your options might be more limited. It was almost a failure for me anyway because I got the event partway through passing the law that replaces your intelligentsia leader with someone from a discriminated pop group, and the new guy turned out to a generic radical or something who didn't support passing the law any more, lol. Luckily I was able to scrape through the last phase on luck.

Edit: if you happen to roll a general/admiral that supports a law you want passed, you can also try to make them take over their IG by getting rid of all of your other generals / admirals from that IG (so they're the only one left), promoting them all the way up, and then exiling the current leader of the IG (you may need to remove them from government first). The next leader is highly likely to be your promoted military leader and will keep their ideology, although this isn't the most reliable thing in the world. If a leader of an IG is a moderate without any stances, you can also transform them into a more radical ideology by exiling them, and then if you like their new ideology you can invite them back to your country as an agitator and then make them the leader of the IG again with their new ideology. I think the ideology is usually counter to whatever your government is (so for example if you exile a moderate from an autocratic state, you might get a liberal reformer).

Edit2: Looks like anarchists and humanitarians both strongly endorse multiculturalism. I'm not sure if humanitarians are tech locked but anarchism isn't that far down the tree. You should start to see them pop up around midgame.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 7, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mandoric posted:

As "terrible lessons to take from mapgames" go, there's probably quite a bit of writing to be done about how in V3 you really can and will use the resources of your colonies not just differently but better than the inhabitants knew how.

I suppose it kinda reflects on me badly that once foreign investment gets into the game, I will absolutely go hard in V3 because my biggest issue was always squeezing out the resources I needed and the AI in my customs union being dogshit at making that happen.

On a sidenote, I guess from that advice about getting development going, part of my troubles when getting started in V3 was trying to address SoL issues from the getgo by developing agriculture because I was inadvertently boosting landowner power by building farms, huh?

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I would guess that mainly depends on the ownership production method. I haven't looked in detail but I imagine tenant farmers give a lot more political power to landowners than homesteading which I'm guessing contributes to the agricultural IG and maybe the union IG. And at the start of the game I imagine most are set to the former rather than the latter so you'd be right.

MuffinsAndPie fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 7, 2023

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, the AI really can't be relied on to supply your needs. In my latest USA game I tried to import dye and silk so I could make luxury clothing in my textile factories, and the amount I got fluctuated wildly and was never enough, even with trade routes set up to every dye and silk producing country in the world.

In the end I just cancelled all the trades, set up new trades for luxury clothing, set my textile factories to just make basic clothing, and tech-beelined to Aniline and Art Silk so I could build synthetics plants to make what I needed myself.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Mandoric posted:

To be fair, the problem with colonizing poor countries, abusing the native population and squeezing the natural resources for all they're worth was never that it's ineffective.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

On a related note, why do Paradox games insist on representing the Dutch East Indies as a quasi-independent dominion? Maybe the direct investment DLC will address this, but it feels pretty bad to have a colony with an absolute treasure trove of resources that you can barely interact with.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Recent Paradox games have been doing a lot to represent colonies as vassal states rather than integral parts of your nation, I assume so you can (a) avoid too much micromanagement, and (b) allow players to play as them with their own agenda.

I don't mind it, but yeah this game definitely needs foreign investment of some kind

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I was wondering, CKIII has a metaphorical 'In case of emergency break glass' DLC with the Byzantines behind it, what would be behind the glass for this game? Steam and Steel railway, Prussia, and Japan dlc?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Deltasquid posted:

Recent Paradox games have been doing a lot to represent colonies as vassal states rather than integral parts of your nation, I assume so you can (a) avoid too much micromanagement, and (b) allow players to play as them with their own agenda.
(c) stop that faction from being too powerful

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Ithle01 posted:

edit: what country are you playing? Because this will make it easier to give advice.

Sweden, I was also trying out Spain a bit.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Koorisch posted:

Sweden, I was also trying out Spain a bit.

Oh, well Sweden is very different than other countries because it starts with almost all ideal laws. Defeating the landowners is the first thing that most countries have to do (if you played Spain you noticed this), but in Sweden the work is basically already done for you. Just build up your domestic iron and tools and go ham. Don't abolish monarchy before annexing Norway though or you'll lose them as a subject state.

Build some universities to get tech and ideally make a beeline for quinine and then rail roads and then skirmish infantry and percussion caps. Take the easy spots in Africa around Cameroon for dyes, but most importantly go looking for early coal because for some reason you have no coal in Sweden but you have tons or iron, lead, and wood which are all good. If you can afford to build up some armed forces do that and then do some imperialism. You also want to build up your population which you can do through conquest and eliminating discrimination. Also, get racial segregation relatively fast because it means you can now absorb populations from all European countries to bolster your small nation.

Try to pass better voting laws, maybe get started on healthcare, education, and worker rights at some point.

edit: by the way, Venezuela is easy to take early on as long as Brazil stays away and has lots of good late game resources. It's also low population so the infamy cost of the war is small. You can make them a dominion or a puppet and then annex them later.

edit 2: improve relations with GB and Russia early on. These are the big two powers that will try to mess with you. Eventually you might want to go to war with Russia over Finland. Early game Russia is very scary, mid game Russia is not nearly as bad, late game Russia is a paper tiger.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 7, 2023

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
How scary Russia is also a question of who you are; I tend towards Asian majors and there it's coinflip→paper tiger→scary (if they actually managed to launch) since they have such a hard time getting off of peasant levies and that hard caps the quality of draftees (and thus, most troops that get to default-defend east of the Urals) at pm2. Unless you're doing something very strange as Sweden you won't be able to man-for-man them until very late at best, but if you are it flips the logic.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Man, I just don't get how to earn money in this game, every time i try to expand my construction bar to be over 30 my money just sky-dives into the drat ground so fast.

How do I even get rich, I've been building iron and tools but it doesn't even matter one bit since I get at least 20k expenses just from the Iron shortage constantly.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Koorisch posted:

Man, I just don't get how to earn money in this game, every time i try to expand my construction bar to be over 30 my money just sky-dives into the drat ground so fast.

How do I even get rich, I've been building iron and tools but it doesn't even matter one bit since I get at least 20k expenses just from the Iron shortage constantly.

well 1st you need population, but assuming you have that, you have to build up a positive feedback loop. so you build a few construction centers, then a few iron mines, then you build a few of the things those use, and then what those use, and so on. and you also change up the production methods as needed to get more of the products you need. you can't build too much of any one thing all at once, because oversupply of that thing will make it's price go down at the same time that the price of the input materials goes up thus making the new industry unprofitable

also you need to fix your laws, the starting tax laws of most countries suck. but to do that you usually have to disempower the landowners, which means you have to industrialize. some early game consumption taxes can help balance the budget when you're starting, I like to do services and whatever vices your pops like (tobacco, opium, etc) because that usually makes big money

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 8, 2023

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
That's the thing, you keep them out of shortage. So

code:
mine
+20 i -5 t

tooling
pm1: +30 t -30 w
pm2: +60 t -30 w -20 i

logging
pm1: +30w
pm2: +60w -5t
becomes one wood, then one tools, wood pm2 and one mine, tools pm2 because you have the wood, then another few mines because you have the tools, all the way up into infinite scaling with wood/iron/tools syphoned off to other industries as necessary. This will give reasonable amounts of money from taxes on the profits, but most importantly it also produces the political conditions in your country for the bourgeois to replace traditional economic relations with taxable transactions and then, if desired, the proletariat to replace private fortunes with public planning.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Koorisch posted:

Construction sectors don't cost a fixed cost, they're more expensive if the materials they use are expensive, and cheaper if those materials are cheaper in your market. That may seem obvious when put that way, but if you really just want construction to be cheaper you want to tank the cost of all the goods going into it. Lumber, iron, tools, steel, glass, whatever you're using, you literally cannot get enough of it if you've got an expanding construction sector.

The good news is it's a virtuous cycle eventually. You get more resources to make your construction cheaper, you build more construction sectors. The price of the goods goes back up, but you get more in taxes, letting you afford to develop more resources, which your construction sector consumes and so on. If you've got limitless resource exploitation potential the whole thing just spirals up on its own if you just keep building whatever you need as you need it.

You will never really have limitless resource exploitation potential though. Maybe you're importing your iron and really can never get the price down. Maybe you're running out of workers. Something will give sooner or later.

If you find you're already having issues expanding your construction, that something gave sooner, and you need to identify and rectify whatever the issue is. Just remember, lower the price of goods before you expand the construction sector itself. If you can't manage that, you can't afford to expand your construction sector. Unless you've got a huge windfall from some other source, which it doesn't sound like you have.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Koorisch posted:

what country are you playing as

also you shouldn’t be earning money, you should be sustainably losing money

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Well, I kinda sorted the problem out by going around and conquering some valuable land, now i'm no longer hemorraging money even at max tax.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Koorisch posted:

Well, I kinda sorted the problem out by going around and conquering some valuable land, now i'm no longer hemorraging money even at max tax.

no you want to be losing money so that you make more money!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

no you want to be losing money so that you make more money!

Yeah but if I go into bankruptcy I don't think it's something I will be able to get myself out of.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

what country are you playing as

also you shouldn’t be earning money, you should be sustainably losing money

It's this. You're not playing the game right if you're not losing money. There is virtually zero benefit to stockpiling money other than giving you more of a cushion to lose money quickly as you expand your economy.

The goal shouldn't be to lose money, it's to avoid going into a spiral of debt.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

The goal shouldn't be to lose money, it's to avoid going into a spiral of debt.

Yes, and *this* is what i'm trying to do.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Can someone tell me more about things like the different types of healthcare and schooling, what exactly do I get from them and how much does their effect matter?

I'm assuming some of them are much better than the other types.

edit: Also what exactly changes if I switch to No Migration controls?

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 8, 2023

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Raising taxes, luxury consumption taxes, and manually setting up profitable trade routes are my go-tos for early game income. I generally try to keep the reserves somewhere in the middle.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Koorisch posted:

Can someone tell me more about things like the different types of healthcare and schooling, what exactly do I get from them and how much does their effect matter?

I'm assuming some of them are much better than the other types.

edit: Also what exactly changes if I switch to No Migration controls?

Schooling and Healthcare laws allow you to spend more bureaucracy to increase the level of health and education, from 1-5. That's in the government tab, at the end on the right. More healthcare means less people dying, education means more literacy and more people that can fulfill higher level jobs, which I think also translates to higher Standards of Living? I tend to run education as high as I can, and healthcare if I have the extra bureaucracy. Public Schools and hospitals also reduce how much influence religious interest groups have so you can more easily get them out of government and pass progressive laws.

Migration Controls means discriminated pops can't immigrate while No Migration Controls means everyone except slaves can immigrate. Discriminated pops are based on whatever discrimination law you have. Multiculturism is the best but it's a lot harder to get now.

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm no expert.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Arbite posted:

I was wondering, CKIII has a metaphorical 'In case of emergency break glass' DLC with the Byzantines behind it, what would be behind the glass for this game? Steam and Steel railway, Prussia, and Japan dlc?

I'd like to see a colonization-focused expansion after Sphere of Influence, or a big colonization rework in an update. Taking and holding decentralized land feels a little too simple currently, and empires should be able to employ the settler and economic exploitation approaches at the same time in different regions. The liberate nation wargoal also doesn't really represent what the US did in the Phillippines / Cuba or what the British and French did with Syria / Palestine. It would be neat if there was some kind of nation building mechanic where you could promise to grant a nation independence in fifteen or twenty years (for an infamy reduction? ) and then make decisions related to what kind of government / nation is going to be created while controlling the land in the interim.

It's a shame a lot of that stuff is butting right up against the end of the game's timeline. I like Victoria's scope but it does feel like the first half of the story in a lot of ways. All the loving around, none of the finding out.

Japan is for sure on the nation DLC list. Russia and Prussia are both pretty barebones. Maybe Mexico?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Randallteal posted:

I'd like to see a colonization-focused expansion after Sphere of Influence, or a big colonization rework in an update. Taking and holding decentralized land feels a little too simple currently, and empires should be able to employ the settler and economic exploitation approaches at the same time in different regions. The liberate nation wargoal also doesn't really represent what the US did in the Phillippines / Cuba or what the British and French did with Syria / Palestine. It would be neat if there was some kind of nation building mechanic where you could promise to grant a nation independence in fifteen or twenty years (for an infamy reduction? ) and then make decisions related to what kind of government / nation is going to be created while controlling the land in the interim.

It's a shame a lot of that stuff is butting right up against the end of the game's timeline. I like Victoria's scope but it does feel like the first half of the story in a lot of ways. All the loving around, none of the finding out.

Japan is for sure on the nation DLC list. Russia and Prussia are both pretty barebones. Maybe Mexico?

The influence re: subject laws would be real nice, I've had wars where I've deliberately "lost" against the remaining coalition once I peaced out who I actually wanted to eat because their demand was regime change in a subject and their own laws were closer to mine than the subject's were.