Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my first was bloodborne when it was released and then beat ds1-3 over covid lockdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Armitag3 posted:

why are you doing my boy DS3 dirty like this

it's still better than 95% of games, but it's a fuckin' mess of a souls game. armor basically doesn't matter, the game world is the most linear it's ever been, and the story makes precisely zero sense and is full of "hey remember this??" callbacks to ds1 for no reason other than that people liked ds1

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

quiggy posted:

it's still better than 95% of games, but it's a fuckin' mess of a souls game. armor basically doesn't matter, the game world is the most linear it's ever been, and the story makes precisely zero sense and is full of "hey remember this??" callbacks to ds1 for no reason other than that people liked ds1

it’s set on the same setting as DS1 but after a couple more cycles of dark/fire

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

DS2 was so fun I went through to NG++ and still enjoyed having my poo poo stomped in. I liked DS1 but the Demon Souls remaster was really well done on PS5.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Armitag3 posted:

it’s set on the same setting as DS1 but after a couple more cycles of dark/fire

ds1 and ds2 both have, like, actual themes and poo poo. ds1 is about the flame burning down and reality coming undone and you, the chosen undead (or are you?) trying to reach the kiln of the first flame to either relight the flame and extend the age of fire or abandon the flame and embrace the age of dark. ds2 is set countless cycles later, when no one remembers gwyn, lord of cinder, and compels you to once again relight the flame and continue the cycle, but for what exactly? vendrick is a shadow of himself, no longer remembering the things he's done, and the world doesn't seem to care whether you extend the age of fire or bring about the age of dark. the game isn't completely clear about whether drangleic stands on the ruins of lordran, partly because it doesn't matter, but also partly because no one even remembers lordran's name

ds3 meanwhile is set in the "transitory lands" where the lords of cinder converge. it's kind of about lothric and the twin princes, but it's also kind of about gwyn, and also kind of about anor londo, and at the end you fight a guy who's just all the player characters, and there's just no actual cohesion to why things are happening the way they are. the age of fire has fallen into this weird state where it's been so long since a rekindling that even the ash itself is rising to relight the flame, but it doesn't do anything with that concept. narratively and thematically it's a goddamn mess that completely throws out all the interesting worldbuilding and lore from the first two games in favor of fanbait callbacks to the original

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I though main theme of DS3, especially the second dlc, was "we are sick of making these games please let us stop" which is why it's set in a giant trash heap made of the contents of the other two games and everyone is super double extra dead

Armitag3 posted:

actually kinda hyped for lies of p(nocchio) since i never played bloodborne

seems like that game just copied off bloodbornes test wholesale and is content to be the pc bloodborne

it's probably for the best that you never played bloodborne because if you had the lies of P demo would feel like a pale imitation

I hope they can polish it up because it could be pretty neat but it's got a ton of rough edges that bloodborne doesn't, especially in how your character controls

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

transition from …notbi

i will never

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
transition from shitnobi to shinobi

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i have a sibling who is a she/nb

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

quiggy posted:

the Correct* soulsborne ranking:

BB > ER > DS2 > DS1 > DeS > DS3

*correct because it is my opinion, and i wouldn't have this opinion if i were wrong

ive never played any of those games. thanks

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ok but what about Lego Island, the ultimate souls game?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

can’t even dodge roll on lego island

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

ive never played any of those games.

yes you have

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Was watching Pete's ice sheet run, and it's on such an old version of rimworld. I miss the easy sandbag/trap layout that you could use to cheese your colony's defense. :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
souls games rankings:
i like them but i haven't played bloodborne, sekiro or elden ring yet

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Was watching Pete's ice sheet run, and it's on such an old version of rimworld. I miss the easy sandbag/trap layout that you could use to cheese your colony's defense. :(

i adore Pete Complete. they're the coolest.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i thought ds2 was just as much of a narrative mess as ds3 (is narrative even the right word for souls?)

maybe i just didn’t engage with the lore like i did with ds1, but everything felt kind of flat and random. there were cool bits, like what was going on with vendrick/the giants, but so many bosses and enemies just felt random and confusing. the weird scorpion people? the snake lady that carries her own head? dogs dropping ricards rapier??? WHAT?

but the real reason i think ds2 is the worst souls is the mechanics. they hosed up ripostes, they hosed up backstabs, they hosed up iframes. the only thing they significantly improved was jumping, which is not hard given ds1 jumping has probably the worst control scheme of any game ever.

but even though i think it’s the worst souls it’s still a good game and i played it 2.5 times and enjoyed it

shoutout to dukes dear freja, possibly the most annoying of all souls bosses

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it's a real shame the boss which is a giant goddamn laser shooting spider is also really annoying

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i adore Pete Complete. they're the coolest.

He's great! Hope he starts a biotech playthrough soon.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

quiggy posted:

ds1 and ds2 both have, like, actual themes and poo poo. ds1 is about the flame burning down and reality coming undone and you, the chosen undead (or are you?) trying to reach the kiln of the first flame to either relight the flame and extend the age of fire or abandon the flame and embrace the age of dark. ds2 is set countless cycles later, when no one remembers gwyn, lord of cinder, and compels you to once again relight the flame and continue the cycle, but for what exactly? vendrick is a shadow of himself, no longer remembering the things he's done, and the world doesn't seem to care whether you extend the age of fire or bring about the age of dark. the game isn't completely clear about whether drangleic stands on the ruins of lordran, partly because it doesn't matter, but also partly because no one even remembers lordran's name

ds3 meanwhile is set in the "transitory lands" where the lords of cinder converge. it's kind of about lothric and the twin princes, but it's also kind of about gwyn, and also kind of about anor londo, and at the end you fight a guy who's just all the player characters, and there's just no actual cohesion to why things are happening the way they are. the age of fire has fallen into this weird state where it's been so long since a rekindling that even the ash itself is rising to relight the flame, but it doesn't do anything with that concept. narratively and thematically it's a goddamn mess that completely throws out all the interesting worldbuilding and lore from the first two games in favor of fanbait callbacks to the original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXPC2HXjrYU&t=10s

ds3 is clearly the best of the trilogy and anyone who thinks 2 is clearly deranged

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
someone was asking about a turn based strategy game and i picked up warhammer chaos gate and its a pretty fun xcom clone but with 40k themes and less cover

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
also picked up sherlock holmes the awakening and its pretty janky but kind of entertaining so far if you want a lovecraftian fix and/or detective mystery game

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I started a new rimworld colony

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

quiggy try wildermyth or fell seal

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

the best souls game is sekiro

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPx6bqBrE4g

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

that music is cool as heck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6eCsk9P4QU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my girlfriend made the conscious decision to get into video games and asked for a bunch of suggestions from me. i was mostly offering easy, low impact games to get started with because it takes a little bit to get into the groove of how video games even work. so she played about an hour of goose game and then decided she was ready. want to know what she chose? as her first real game to play? despite me telling her it may be a *bit* difficult?

hollow knight

and she hasn’t let the game defeat her either. after about eight hours she finally managed to beat hornet. she laughed and cried simultaneously lol. i think she ‘gets’ video games now

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
ha wow power to her. that's a high bar to set. i would have suggested rogue legacy 2 with some accessibility tweaks to make the reward drip a little faster.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

she's got excellent taste, either way

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

my girlfriend made the conscious decision to get into video games and asked for a bunch of suggestions from me. i was mostly offering easy, low impact games to get started with because it takes a little bit to get into the groove of how video games even work. so she played about an hour of goose game and then decided she was ready. want to know what she chose? as her first real game to play? despite me telling her it may be a *bit* difficult?

hollow knight

and she hasn’t let the game defeat her either. after about eight hours she finally managed to beat hornet. she laughed and cried simultaneously lol. i think she ‘gets’ video games now

thats about how long it took me to beat hornet

which was still less time then it took me to beat the mantises :negative:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
mantises are a gently caress but it's a real turning point when you finally whomp them

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Captain Foo posted:

quiggy try wildermyth or fell seal

I have played both, wildermyth loving owns, fell seal I wanted to like more than I did

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

oh no blimp issue posted:

the best souls game is sekiro

this may be true but I am not gud enough

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

quig it's not turn based but have you seen the aliens marines real-time xcom-like yet

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

i have, it looks cool. if it weren't for the fact I suspect it plays like rear end on deck id already have picked it up

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

hollow knight

dwarf fortress asap

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

quiggy posted:

i have, it looks cool. if it weren't for the fact I suspect it plays like rear end on deck id already have picked it up

it seems to play pretty decently for me on the deck, but i can see why they want to tweak it further

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sekiro talk made me reinstall it

i wonder if i remember well enough that i can beat up mr gonichumi in the prologue

(e) lmao nope, forgot i can't mikiri yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

quiggy posted:

oh, i didn't remember that you got a tower shield. have you played all the spiderweb software games yet for turn-based rpg/strat? or shadowrun dragonfall/hong kong?