Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
If only the jedi had the emotional intelligence of an 8 year old seeing Pixar's 2015 film Inside Out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

After the first quarter of the game or so I stopped engaging storm troopers and most other low level peons in earnest whenever there was a long enough drop nearby.

Like qui-gon's line in the Phantom Menace game, "I have no time for the likes of you"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dogen posted:

Pushing unaware stormtroopers off a cliff and genocide levels of inter species murder are fine

lol I had this exact thought.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Dogen posted:

Pushing unaware stormtroopers off a cliff and genocide levels of inter species murder are fine

yeah that's the joke. jedi survivor is one of the few bits of star wars media that actually 'gets' star wars, and that includes making all the jedi amoral idiots

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Klungar posted:

Playing on Story Mode, this was the only Game Over I got during the entire game. And I’m still salty over it. It’s like a similar moment in Ragnarok where you as a player don’t want to actually do what the character is trying to do, and resisting fulfilling the on-screen commands is the actually correct move, but here they just force you to do the bad thing.

how dare this story based game make you take the action that progresses the story

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The Dark Side has far more to do with why or how you do something than what you did precisely. Not exclusively, of course, but it’s more important as a rule and Jedi Survivor is well aware of that fact.

Ending spoilers

Killing Bode wasn’t the Dark Side act. Doing it with rage, malice, and a desire to cause pain is what made it dark side. The man needed to die. As did Ninth Sister! But Cal dispatched Ninth Sister with both calm and a degree of compassion.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Rascyc posted:

Yeah all the ones I had problems with involved a super jump off a nearby mount. I just completely forgot about that move.

You’ve got to be thinking with nekkus.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Dark Side has far more to do with why or how you do something than what you did precisely. Not exclusively, of course, but it’s more important as a rule and Jedi Survivor is well aware of that fact.

Ending spoilers

Killing Bode wasn’t the Dark Side act. Doing it with rage, malice, and a desire to cause pain is what made it dark side. The man needed to die. As did Ninth Sister! But Cal dispatched Ninth Sister with both calm and a degree of compassion.

I think that is not a good reading of that fight. The game prompts you to embrace the darkness and then you do, and you beat him.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Not really a big fan of, 'it's okay, Cal has a woman's love to stop him from falling to the Dark side.' Especially because he immediately goes right back there after promising her he wouldn't. Merrin needs to see the red flags and :sever:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

They gave him every chance, and he spat on, stabbed, choked, and killed every one of them and refused to back down

There's only one thing you do with rabid animals at that point

Cal even looks at Merrin before the double-tap

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
As silly as it is, The Dark Side is a literal magically corrupting presence that makes you abuse your loved ones.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not really a big fan of, 'it's okay, Cal has a woman's love to stop him from falling to the Dark side.' Especially because he immediately goes right back there after promising her he wouldn't. Merrin needs to see the red flags and :sever:

women having bad taste in men is a foundational element of star wars

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cal and Turgle :love:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dogen posted:

It's fine to hurt/kill, as long as you have fun doing it. It's only when you lose your chill and get mad that it becomes bad.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

It's fine to hurt/kill, as long as you have fun doing it. It's only when you lose your chill and get mad that it becomes bad.

Yeah Anakin murdering hordes of bug people is good but Anakin murdering hordes of Arabs Tuskens is bad, because in the former he is having fun and flirting with his girlfriend while in the latter he’s mad and crying.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Magic is all about intent.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

1st AD posted:

Yeah Anakin murdering hordes of bug people is good but Anakin murdering hordes of Arabs Tuskens is bad, because in the former he is having fun and flirting with his girlfriend while in the latter he’s mad and crying.

Wrong, the former was bad too because he was horny. Horny leads to being mad and crying. He has to have platonic, friendly fun while killing bug people/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly, let's just skip all these moral quandaries and go back to killing soulless robuts

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Robots who argue with each other like the kids from Stranger Things

(legit one of my favorite parts of the game)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

1st AD posted:

Yeah, I wasn't joking. That is literally what makes things "dark side" - you gotta be mad while doing violence. Violence is okay as long as you're having fun.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

isk posted:

Robots who argue with each other like the kids from Stranger Things

(legit one of my favorite parts of the game)

“Were those droids arguing?”

“It happens more than you’d think.”

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This is why I wish the game hadn't done the Dark Side thing, and I really hope it's not the central pivot of the next game. It's a shallow, worn-out trope that always trots out the most interminable discussions about morality.

I even think this game does about as good a job as possible conveying the corrupting influence by showing us Cal's differing emotional states when he kills people. But dangit now I'm getting bogged down in the morality play too! Arrrggh!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I can start blabbing about how Cal is an Achilles like figure, again.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Not gay enough

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Not gay enough

Yeah, but that's Star Wars in a nutshell. Remember, this is a setting that was canonically not-gay until very recently. It's got a long way to go before it can catch up to anything as progressive as 3,000 year old twink Patroclus.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 8, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Cal and Turgle :love:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I still can't believe they made Ventress straight. smdh,

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I still need to pull that Star Destroyer out of the sky for scaring away my one pair of space lesbians.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Skippy McPants posted:

This is why I wish the game hadn't done the Dark Side thing, and I really hope it's not the central pivot of the next game. It's a shallow, worn-out trope that always trots out the most interminable discussions about morality.

I even think this game does about as good a job as possible conveying the corrupting influence by showing us Cal's differing emotional states when he kills people. But dangit now I'm getting bogged down in the morality play too! Arrrggh!

Prepare to be disappointed in the next one cause there's no way that they're not going to go deeper into Cal touching the Dark Side.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh I know it’s inevitable, I just wish it weren’t. I hope they at least match and exceed the degree of nuance they managed in this game. Also Cal loving better get a happy’ish ending cause another thing I’m sick of in this setting is tragic anti-heroes.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I want Tanalorr to be the Jedi Praxeum I was promised in the 90s, dammit.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I mean the whole angle is Order is gone= we're starting over and going to fix some of the issues. Much like the catholic church, they were wrong to forbid romantic relationships. It's inhuman.

Flirting with the dark side to gain more power of course is a much slipperier slope and I can see how leaning into that would make a good plot device in a potential sequel.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Respawn won’t do this, but I think a really cool thing to do would be to do a Kill Bill-style revenge adventure with an older Kata hunting down the remaining inquisitors.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Cerebus_Gaming/status/1678288187305652224

Nice of 'em to include Han, Luke, Obi-Wan, Kyle, Dash Rendar, Cobb Vanth, and Starkiller as character options

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Took me way too fuckin long to find how to get to the force essence or whatever it was in the area in those screenshots where you scale the walls

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dogen posted:

Had the same thought in fallen order dathomir when Cal just starts laying waste to the dathomir population in their own homes. This was the same game where on the first planet you encounter a force memory of people getting blown to bits in their homes by stormtroopers.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Apparently a job posting is hinting that the sequel is already in development.

Also just had a hidden encounter spoiled for me that I assume only happens after completing all the bounties.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Nice of 'em to include Han, Luke, Obi-Wan, Kyle, Dash Rendar, Cobb Vanth, and Starkiller as character options

this is making me want to double dip for the PC version.

codo27 posted:

Apparently a job posting is hinting that the sequel is already in development.

Also just had a hidden encounter spoiled for me that I assume only happens after completing all the bounties.

I'm nervous about there being a 3rd game. :ohdear: How do you even top Jedi Survivor? Will there be more Turgle? Will Cal and Turgle kiss or is that just too much forbidden love?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

I said come in! posted:

this is making me want to double dip for the PC version.

I'm nervous about there being a 3rd game. :ohdear: How do you even top Jedi Survivor? Will there be more Turgle? Will Cal and Turgle kiss or is that just too much forbidden love?

Aforementioned Turgle and Skoova Stev adventure through the galaxy, clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

codo27 posted:

Yeah it’s probably the last bounty encounter and it sucks that it was spoiled for you