Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Notably any time someone primes after Clive has taken their power (which, to be fair, we only see twice) there are extreme circumstances. Either extreme desperation in Benedikta’s case or extreme amounts of aether in Hugo’s. They also both prime in berserk mode and don’t have control (see: orange eyes). That seems to suggest whatever Clive takes is important for their ability to prime but it’s never fully explained I don’t think.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Untrue, Bahamut manages to casually dragonify at the end. Notably he's also the one who got the most time to rest afterward.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clarste posted:

Untrue, Bahamut manages to casually dragonify at the end. Notably he's also the one who got the most time to rest afterward.

Ahhhh right, I was just thinking about fights. Never mind! I have no idea then lol

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They actually do mention in Dion's case that priming after Clive yoinks their power drove them crazy and he's like gently caress it, I'ma do it anyway how else are you getting up to Origin?

(I expected Mid to finish her airship and that would do it)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I like that plot point because Clive, Joshua, and Dion discuss and are also completely unsure about how it works. Like it was literally something like "well, we know you can still prime, but it seems like you can't control it as well". Which makes sense because nobody else in recorded history has had this power before!

So, the rules are what we see happen in the game. It drains your powers temporarily, but if you take some time to recover, you're basically no worse for wear. Heck, before the final battle you can even get Jill as a party member again, and she has no trouble using her ice magic, same as ever.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ImpAtom posted:

Joshua was saved by the Undying

Speaking of that, is it explained why they didn’t save Clive as well? Did they arrive after the Imperials and Joshua was conveniently under a pile of rubble?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Well the place was swarming with imperials, and they left with Clive, so I assume Jote dug out Joshua after they cleared out.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The depiction of the undying makes me easily believe they’d be the sorts to just say “eh, that guy isn’t the Phoenix, gently caress him.”

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There’s some easily missed dialogue that they were planning to assassinate him because he almost killed Joshua, until Joshua told them to stop.

And yes that means they knew he was a slave for 13 years and did nothing. Maybe Joshua thought he was safer there

EDIT: If you talk to Cyril in the inn between receiving the badge and leaving Tabor he says this:

quote:

The history of our order spans generations...but I expect you are most interested in the events of our more recent past.
On that fateful night eighteen years go, myself and my fellow acolytes were ensconced in the crypts below Phoenix Gate, preparing for His Grace's communion.
We did not learn of what was happening above until it was too late to prevent it, but we did arrive in time to drag his barely breathing body from the rubble and flee the duchy.
Naturally our attention turned to identifying the Dominant of Fire who had so grievously wounded the Phoenix...and our suspicions eventually came to rest on the late Clive Rosfield.
Or...not so late, as we came to understand many years later when word reached our ears of a slave soldier who seemed to wield the Phoenix's Blessing. We readied our assassins forthwith.
But His Grace stayed their hands. Since his awakening, he had insisted that there must be other forces at work, and that we continue our investigations. Investigations that led us to Ultima.
So you see-- were it not for your brother's unshakable belief in your innocence, my lord, you might not be standing here today.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 8, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Is there any way to access the crystal wave you can see and that the bard mentions? Wonder if that's a DLC hook or just cut content.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Bugblatter posted:

Is there any way to access the crystal wave you can see and that the bard mentions? Wonder if that's a DLC hook or just cut content.

dlc hook/cut content.
i kept seeing it and being like "is that a mothercrystal?"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Definitely a future hook. If anything was cut out of this game they hide it very well.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It's sort of in the direction where Drake's Eye would be too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SettingSun posted:

Definitely a future hook. If anything was cut out of this game they hide it very well.

I need to know what's behind the fallen ruin door in The Dim on your way to Rosaria.

I hope it's Leviathan(somehow) and 2-3 minigames Clive can play against people across the continent.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
at first i thought that the frozen wave was just the aftermath of a little scuffle jill got into on her way to northreach, since she and clive took separate routes

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I need to know what's behind the fallen ruin door in The Dim on your way to Rosaria.

I hope it's Leviathan(somehow) and 2-3 minigames Clive can play against people across the continent.

You open the door, a dim hallway illuminated in soft blue light. You walk, the lights glowing dimmer and dimmer, until you are in pitch blackness. Suddenly, without warning, the playonline theme begins playing and a new quest objective appears; Navigate playonline and win tetra master matches. 0/3.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Inside the door is a blitzball stadium.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's the Jack Garland superboss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Also hey what's the deal with Clive stealing the powers of other Dominants?

They can still prime (at great risk to themselves), and they appear to still be able to cast spells. So what exactly is he taking?

There is a lore thing that basically states that they can still Prime but it is way riskier and harder. Notably nobody who primes after Clive takes their powers lives long enough for us to see.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Well as mentioned Bahamut does.

I’ve been reading the tomes in ng+ and there’s some interesting bits that get thrown in there after the credits.

It mentions that there are 16 Ultimas that share a single consciousness, and Origin is the ship they used to arrive in Valisthea.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Dion never survives the transformation back though. He doesn't go batshit insane like Benedikta or Hugo does, but we don't know what sort of toll it took on his body because he gets counter-gigaflared by Ultima.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SettingSun posted:

Well as mentioned Bahamut does.

I’ve been reading the tomes in ng+ and there’s some interesting bits that get thrown in there after the credits.

It mentions that there are 16 Ultimas that share a single consciousness, and Origin is the ship they used to arrive in Valisthea.

Those are there if you max out Harpocretes before the final mission but yeah. Joshua sealing Ultima(1 of 16 apparently) really did fuckall

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Is Joshua proportionally weaker as an adult party member than as a child? When you play as him as a kid, he knows Curaga and his fire spells can two-shot knights the same level as him. He knows a couple of very flashy spells as an adult, but I don't know if he ever just deletes enemies the way he can in his pov section.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Harrow posted:

FF6 and 15's worlds both get wildly hosed up before their endings, too

True, but they don't have continuations after that.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
FF6 famously continues on after the world gets hosed

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Where did the mothercrystals come from? Are they a natural occurrence that have always been there or did something cause them?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ultima put all of them down (and powered them with a copy of himself at the heart). They’re giant aether siphons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Someone brought this up in the main thread, but it's kind of wild to me that there's another continent mentioned in the game that doesn't seem to have any of Valisthea's problems. The game's events feel like they're world-shaking but they're spurred by something that seems to be really localized.

Are there Mothercrystals on the other continent? Do they have the Blight? We can reasonably assume they don't have Dominants and Eikons because those came from Ultima (who was very focused on Valisthea), but are they aware of them? When Clive removes magic from the world in the ending, is that the whole world or just Valisthea? Does it only apply to magic from crystals? Can Bearers still use their magic in Valisthea? What about the other continent?

I feel like a sequel is pretty unlikely but boy I really wonder what the hell was going on in the rest of the world during FFXVI's story.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Is Valisthea the planet or just Storm and Ash? The codex calls Valisthea a realm but Ultima intends to remake the world. Is Origin a space ship?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

There's at least one much bigger continent that's hard to get to but sometimes trades with Valisthea, I dont think the game goes into more detail than that

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SettingSun posted:

Is Valisthea the planet or just Storm and Ash? The codex calls Valisthea a realm but Ultima intends to remake the world. Is Origin a space ship?

I kind of assumed they'd just come from elsewhere on the planet, but the fact that they all had to shed their physical bodies to "undertake an unprecedented journey" makes it sound like it's something more extreme than an ocean voyage.

Origin either traveled through space or from another dimension (Ultima does take you to the interdimensional vortex after all).

I don't think the other continents are ruined by blight, because a) we hear about like the Seven Great Houses of merchants and only two of them are on the Twins (Byron and his rival in Dhalmekia) and b) it would be boring if they were.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the continent was supposedly colonized by the remnants of the fallen who didn't get zapped by ultima after their rebellion. barnabas is one of the last spinoffs of a cult from that population that have spent the centuries begging forgiveness for their transgressions. nothing about the civilization itself, though

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Magic is the art of channeling aether. That can be done in two ways: innately as a bearer or dominant, or by using a crystal to draw it for you.

That makes sense. Ultima is deliberately trying to create a vessel that can channel vast amount of aether for his Raise spell. And the mother crystals are designed to channel aether so naturally shards of it can do it too.

Aether is life so it’s still around at the end of the game. The crystals are gone. What about the bearers? Is the knowledge of magic just lost?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Magic is the art of channeling aether. That can be done in two ways: innately as a bearer or dominant, or by using a crystal to draw it for you.

That makes sense. Ultima is deliberately trying to create a vessel that can channel vast amount of aether for his Raise spell. And the mother crystals are designed to channel aether so naturally shards of it can do it too.

Aether is life so it’s still around at the end of the game. The crystals are gone. What about the bearers? Is the knowledge of magic just lost?

Clive specifically calls out "Ultima's Legacy: Bearers, Dominants, crystals, Magick" as something he is going to consign to the flames. Combined with the fact magic is the cause of the Blight it's pretty safe to assume they are just gone.

It's like the ending of FF6, magic as a thing is just gone from the world. Maybe another Ultima-like godlike being could start the whole blight cycle over again but at least for now they're back to using flint to start fires.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

They mention that crystals stopped working when Ultima casts the Bad Weather Spell, but I think bearers can still use magic.

I think that humans, as creations of the Fallen, can still use magic that draws on their own aether, but without the crystals they can no longer pull it out of the land. So the blight is over, but bearer slavery is still something that could be a problem. Indeed, Cid explicitly says at one point that his plan to destroy the mothercrystals may make that problem worse before it gets better.

It's so interesting to me that we never see bearers using magic for anything but household chores. Healing people, doing laundry, etc. They really avoid the like Dragon Age thing where mages are discriminated against... but it's for a good reason! They can just go crazy and turn into a demon and kill a whole town at any time! There's never any indication that bearers are more dangerous than the average person, they can just do the same mundane sort of stuff that crystals can do, but without a crystal.

There are indications that they can use it for combat, of course, just like crystals, but it's never shown on screen. The bearers who were slaughtered at that church early on defended themselves until they ran out of aether and turned to dust, and presumably your assassin buddies in the opening could do some combat magic as well.

If they wanted to do a sequel/spinoff about rebuilding the world and truly ending bearer slavery, there's plenty of meat left on that bone.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
The big argument against destroying all magic for me is thematic, because as much as magic is often a source of hardship for bearers it feels like it betrays Cid's ideals - where he explicitly said that bearer talents should win them respect & is implicitly destroying the Mothercrystals partially to force spciety to stop treating bearers as the cheap, disposable alternative to crystals - to just say "ok now that bearers are literally identical to everyone else there's no more oppression!"

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

In addition to Clive specifically saying bearers being one of the things he’ll end, in the post credits scene where the kid is lighting a fire with flint he wishes he could use magic and his mom laughs it off as a fairy tale. Pretty sure it’s all just gone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Begemot posted:

They mention that crystals stopped working when Ultima casts the Bad Weather Spell, but I think bearers can still use magic.

I think that humans, as creations of the Fallen, can still use magic that draws on their own aether, but without the crystals they can no longer pull it out of the land. So the blight is over, but bearer slavery is still something that could be a problem. Indeed, Cid explicitly says at one point that his plan to destroy the mothercrystals may make that problem worse before it gets better.

It's so interesting to me that we never see bearers using magic for anything but household chores. Healing people, doing laundry, etc. They really avoid the like Dragon Age thing where mages are discriminated against... but it's for a good reason! They can just go crazy and turn into a demon and kill a whole town at any time! There's never any indication that bearers are more dangerous than the average person, they can just do the same mundane sort of stuff that crystals can do, but without a crystal.

There are indications that they can use it for combat, of course, just like crystals, but it's never shown on screen. The bearers who were slaughtered at that church early on defended themselves until they ran out of aether and turned to dust, and presumably your assassin buddies in the opening could do some combat magic as well.

If they wanted to do a sequel/spinoff about rebuilding the world and truly ending bearer slavery, there's plenty of meat left on that bone.

No, Bearers can use combat magic. In fact one of the big sidequests (the one where your contact gets revealed as a secret bearer) happens because he uses a combat spell to save some children from danger. They don't do it often because people freak the gently caress out and they mention that secret bearers usually keep a crystal nearby so they can fake using it to cast magic. They dont' do it more because they are beaten down slaves.

Also the ending of the makes it pretty blunt magic isn't around anymore. The kids wishes he could use magic to start a fire and it's dismissed as a fairytale, and since magic itself was the caught of the Blight and Clive calls out 'consigning it to the flames" it would't make any sense for it to remain around.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Begemot posted:

they can’t. bearer magic sputters out when the crystals break as well. every region has slavers at their wits’ end over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Right. Without magic, the blight doesn’t spread. Presumably.