Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

koolkal posted:

He's gonna pull out his eye and reveal its a laser cannon and OPTIC BLAST Gravik to to oblivion

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Nameless Pete posted:

I don't see why it's incumbent on us to find the Skrulls a homeworld when humans are like the galactic version of Sentinel Islanders.

Oh, gently caress, we are, aren’t we? The MCU is reverse Star Trek rules.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I really like that about the MCU. We're not the most important thing in the universe. Though with the Battle of Whever-The-gently caress-In-Upstate-New-York, we're rapidly becoming so and I really wish they just wouldn't.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

LividLiquid posted:

I really like that about the MCU. We're not the most important thing in the universe. Though with the Battle of Whever-The-gently caress-In-Upstate-New-York, we're rapidly becoming so and I really wish they just wouldn't.

We’re North Korea, but our WMDs actually work.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
If they don't bring back Agent Coulson in some epic reveal ala Luke at end of Mandalorian S2 I'm never going to watch any of these other boring shows.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SyRauk posted:

If they don't bring back Agent Coulson in some epic reveal ala Luke at end of Mandalorian S2 I'm never going to watch any of these other boring shows.

Buddy have I got the show for you

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Earthlings are so great that the Eternals unprecedentedly saved Earth from destruction.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Arist posted:

Buddy have I got the show for you

What? AoS? I fully expect the LMD Coulson to swoop in with Lola to knock out some Skrulls to save Fury and then have a comical line like: "Guess they found out the hard way, Lola doesn't brake for Skrulls."

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I will admit I... don't hate this show? First episode was underwhelming, and it isn't amazing me (not yet at least, who knows). But there is enough going on that it could end up a good one, it depends. Nick fury and talos as diminished old dudes who were once formidably powerful and connected, together in a buddycop/spy thing? That is fine with me. Skrull presence has me so busy guessing who might be a skrull that the plot seems like it could go anywhere, a paranoid atmosphere where you already couldn't trust anybody has become one where anybody (even large groups of people) could actually be somebody else.

The biggest stretch IMO is how quickly the skrulls seemed united behind gravik considering how drastic his plan is. Aside from fear, it could be a cultural thing too (following the supreme general for the supposed collective good of skrullkind could be their "This is the way"). Also, it seems it would be simple to kill fury or talos if gravik's forces wanted to, so we have to assume they're purposely keeping them alive. I'm ok not overthinking things as long as it's nothing major, I hope they don't dive into absurd potholes and bizarre decisions to the point I have to start wondering why shits so loving stupid. For now I'm just assuming gravik wants to punish or even manipulate them, and doesn't consider them actual credible threats to his plan. Otherwise nick fury wouldn't be able to be recognized or seen anywhere, lest literally anybody around him turns out to be an unearthly strong alien hit man ready to die for the cause. If anything the show should be MORE paranoid.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Even at its absolute worst, Agents of SHIELD was leagues better than this.

That's my take and I'm sticking to it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ApeHawk posted:

Even at its absolute worst, Agents of SHIELD was leagues better than this.

That's my take and I'm sticking to it.

That is a cold take because even if you think Secret Wars is an 8 out of 10 show, even the worst of AoS was an 8.5. It was a good show.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Winter Soldier twist, Ward, and Kyle MacLachlan alone are worth watching for.

Probably impossible to actually experience the Winter Soldier twist in the same you did in real time in 2014, but it is still pretty great.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Agents of Shield really had some great characters. Why a talent like Iain De Caestecker isn't being offered every role out there is beyond me.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Oasx posted:

Agents of Shield really had some great characters. Why a talent like Iain De Caestecker isn't being offered every role out there is beyond me.

I thought that was why he was mostly absent the final season, he was filming other stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Elizabeth Henstridge was in something pretty popular? One of those one word shows, not Succession, but Severance or Suspicion?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

swickles posted:

I thought that was why he was mostly absent the final season, he was filming other stuff.

I think he was filming that WW2 zombie movie thing, he had a minor role in that but hasn't done a ton since then

twistedmentat posted:

Elizabeth Henstridge was in something pretty popular? One of those one word shows, not Succession, but Severance or Suspicion?

Suspicion. I don't think it was particularly popular and was mostly bad. Since then she has been directing episodes of Superman & Lois.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oasx posted:

I think he was filming that WW2 zombie movie thing, he had a minor role in that but hasn't done a ton since then

Suspicion. I don't think it was particularly popular and was mostly bad. Since then she has been directing episodes of Superman & Lois.

She directed the time loop episode of Agents of SHIELD, so let her direct anything she wants.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Normally when I watch MCU shows, I find myself rushing here to see what everyone else is saying and thinking. But this show... I find it hard to care so far. If this weren't an MCU show, I'd probably have already moved on to something else, but I have a compulsion to know what happens ahead of The Marvels.

The second episode was a slight improvement, especially on the VFX. But now we're on ep3 and nothing is really happening. There is sooooo much exposition that we just don't need or adds absolutely nothing in service to the story or progressing any character arcs. I think its biggest crime with being a spy show is that it is way too predictable, too. The only thing in ep3 that I specifically enjoyed was Talos' exchange with Gravik at the restaurant, but I barely remember what happened after that, and it hasn't even been 48 hours since watching it.

Generally speaking, the only thing I think this show has done is make audiences (or at least me) question if Fury was ever actually a good spy, or he just got super lucky to have Carol Danvers and a squad of shapeshifters fall into his lap. Unless Fury really pulls a rabbit out of his rear end (or eye, I guess), then that's probably all we're going to really figure out in this story.

I did get a good laugh at all the YouTube "theory" videos after ep2 speculating on "are they creating SUPER SKRULLS?!" I mean, how much more confirmation did you need during ep2 (the computer screen)? Then in ep3, Gravik spells it out in big, bold shouty letters what he's doing to the little cadre of rebels following him.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 7, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I appreciate that Kingsley Ben-Adir is not just doing a Cardiff Welsh accent for Gravik, it’s a Butetown Cardiff Welsh accent, a neighbourhood known for its black residents. He doesn’t need to do it, but he is, and it’s pretty good.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Doronin posted:

Then in ep3, Gravik spells it out in big, bold shouty letters what he's doing to the little cadre of rebels following him.
I was hoping the MCU would never get to the point of someone actually saying 'Super Skrulls' out loud but here we are

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

live with fruit posted:

The stuff with the guy and his son was confusing. Had they replaced the human kid with his Skrull kid or was he just really deep cover?

AngryBooch posted:

I have no idea why Nick Fury holding some random human kid hostage worked to disarm a skrull impersonator. Are they saying when a skrull gets the memories, they also get the sentiment?

I didn't make this connection while watching and it's bothering me that I didn't, because yeah, what was going on with that.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Sivart13 posted:

I was hoping the MCU would never get to the point of someone actually saying 'Super Skrulls' out loud but here we are

They could have at least had a Vanilla Ice song before it.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

That tripped me up too, the kid must have been a skull. Course I didn't really think about it until I saw them throw a few skull bodies in the trunk.

Haven't actually gone back to see if the kids clothes matched the trunk bodies, but I do remember a skull guard getting shot. Plus Talos seemed to feel compassion for the kid so doubt he'd be cool "tying up loose ends", but then again he did flip out and shoot his dad and phone his contact right in front of him. Am I missing something? Did he accept the roofies?

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 8, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That is a cold take because even if you think Secret Wars is an 8 out of 10 show, even the worst of AoS was an 8.5. It was a good show.

Sometimes I feel like I watched a different AoS to everyone else.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, it's understandable because AoS is also the acronym for a terrible Philippine variety show so you might have gotten confused. "AoS "in this thread typically refers to Agents of SHIELD, which was quite good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nah some ppl here love some terrible TV. AoS was consistently mediocre as hell

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Argue posted:

I just never got into it because it was just so very obviously the red-headed network TV step-child that (kinda sorta) took place in the same world as the MCU. The Disney+ shows have their flaws but when WandaVision debuted, the show had spent the loving money to put Paul Bettany and Elizabeth Olsen on our screens for nine episodes. None of that "This character is super-besties with Pepper Potts who never shows up even once on the show."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm enjoying the Talos and Gravik bits and absolutely not caring about the Fury bits.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Gonna +1 this. Wife and I hate watched this show, and we couldn’t even bother with the last season. The season that was a lighthouse in space* broke us.

*Some industrial plant they filmed in for cheap.**

**Wife and I visited the real life lighthouse just before we watched that season.

The only good thing about AoS is that I got an inexplicable name drop in one of the episodes, so I guess I’m in the MCU.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

This show seems to be loving marmite where half of us insist it's legitimately awesome TV and half insist it's god awful and nobody can resist jumping into a conversation about it just to tell the other side that they're crazy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah its pretty funny. Universal recommendation it is not lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I feel like this is a ‘big picture’ kind of show where only once you can see it all, can you tell if it’s any good or not. Right now, it’s alright in places, bit rough in others.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Coming into the thread to defend AoS, bring Daisy Johnson to the MCU cowards. Or at least vary Chloe Bennette as Dr Aphra

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I just want one multiverse in the movies to be the one where Deke is head of SHIELD, complete with eyepatch only because it looks cool.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like this is a ‘big picture’ kind of show where only once you can see it all, can you tell if it’s any good or not. Right now, it’s alright in places, bit rough in others.

It's a "When are they going to get to the fireworks factory" kind of show.

We know Fury is going to get his mojo back and kick evil Skrull rear end. We just have to wade through three quarters of the show's run before we get there.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah.

Conspiratorial, but I wonder if Disney predicts reactions and sows detractors on social media only to prove them wrong. Sort of a 'no such thing as bad publicity'. Everyone was complaining about the skrull effects being cheesed in ep1, but I believe the second episode then showed skulls changing as well as young fury. (I was so high when I watched it I was like "is that leftover footage from captain marvel? Fury's old now!" I momentarily, stupidly, thought SLJ was young for captain marvel. Weed.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 8, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Let's be real, any well-written show doesn't have a roundtable of villains monologuing exposition straight from 1940s comics but done absolutely straight-faced and "dramatic"

I'm just watching it for Olivia coleman chewing the scenery with a bemused expression the entire time, and a "i'm too old for this poo poo x10000" thing sam jackson is going with. Everything else is really lame.

Ben Mendelsohn is very wasted in the MCU, y'all know that guy can act yeah?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
"Any plans for the downtime?"

"Well you know, I never cared much for golf so... I'm thinkin' I may take up REVENGE."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
If this was some brand new IP and not Marvel, no one would be watching this show.