Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What games don't work in Windows 11? The OS has worked great for everything I've thrown at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GreenNight posted:

What games don't work in Windows 11? The OS has worked great for everything I've thrown at it.

I mean unless he somehow installed the N variant or whatever that makes it a huge pain in the rear end to get any DirectX older than 12 on there which will break some games

I made this mistake because I thought it would just not install windows media player and other junk I don't want :negative:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Agrikk posted:

Stupid computers. Stupid Agrikk.

Are the crashes while playing a game with Easy AntiCheat? It's insanely stupid, but check for a BIOS update. Had that be the root cause of what looked like hard power cuts and reboots.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

GreenNight posted:

It causes an fps drop in a number of games primarily due to the xbox game bar that they require

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Diqnol posted:

It causes an fps drop in a number of games primarily due to the xbox game bar that they require

I haven't had that at all, in anything, and honestly I've had better performance on my system with some games (Hogwarts Legacy, Jedi Survivor) than basically every reviewer had with better hardware (not that my 12900k/3090ti are bad) so I'm wondering where the actual slowdowns happen.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

pointlessone posted:

Are the crashes while playing a game with Easy AntiCheat? It's insanely stupid, but check for a BIOS update. Had that be the root cause of what looked like hard power cuts and reboots.

If this is it I’m going to be hostile.

And I dunno why he downgraded other than “I downgraded to windows 10 to play games”. Having avoided windows 11 I know nothing about it nor do I know how games play or don’t play on it.

He wanted windows 10. I gave him windows 10 and now there’s this thing. Worst part is I have no way of knowing if this was happening before my wipe because his PC was unusable after the downgrade.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It sounds like this wasn't a custom build, can you get a reset image from the manufacturer? It would be Win11 again, but at least you could see if it's stable.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Good idea. I’ll run that down.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
It's a new computer, could the downgrade be a red herring and there is a separate issue causing the crashes? How are the thermals?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Knormal posted:

It sounds like this wasn't a custom build, can you get a reset image from the manufacturer? It would be Win11 again, but at least you could see if it's stable.

You'll probably have to pay, and it's not cheap.

The recovery partition might have survived a wipe though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Renegret posted:

You'll probably have to pay, and it's not cheap.

The recovery partition might have survived a wipe though.

Lenovo and hp cloud recovery images are free, dell depends on the model.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
When you say random crashing, I'm hearing bad ram.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Silly Newbie posted:

When you say random crashing, I'm hearing bad ram.

It could also be weird stock drivers for logic board components compared to OEM validated ones.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It's funny how the thread about complaining about computers suddenly rallies together to fix a computer. ❤️

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Sywert of Thieves posted:

It's funny how the thread about complaining about computers suddenly rallies together to fix a computer. ❤️

We’ve all learned it’s us against them. Gotta band together.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm against computing as a concept, not individual computers

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Thanks for all the tips, y’all!

Memtest did find errors, but reseating both sticks seemed to have solved it as evidenced by successfully rerunning the test a half-dozen times.

I blew away the win11 recovery partition when I flattened it so a restore that way isn’t an option.

I did confirm that my son’s friend plays Apex Legends which does indeed use Easy AntiCheat so we are going to look into a BIOS update.

It could also be thermals because the machine runs really, really hot. I ran a CPU and GPU stress test program, each for several hours and while both ran really hot (I can’t remember offhand what the numbers were) the numbers were right up against the factory spec ceiling, the machine ran stable for hours. Running without the side panel dropped temps by maybe a dozen degrees so I will say the case has bad thermal design and if it were mine I’d be cutting into it with a dremel by now.

I am going to try kale flashing the BIOS because that seems the likeliest culprit. If that doesn’t work, I’m going to have him run things with the case door off to see if it’s thermal related.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

If it's running up against tjmax then it's probably stable but at the cost of throttling itself to keep it that way so it's losing performance. Which judging from all the gamer's nexus prebuilt reviews is a frustratingly common issue with prebuilts at all price levels

Isepic
May 7, 2002

Agrikk posted:

Thanks for all the tips, y’all!

Memtest did find errors, but reseating both sticks seemed to have solved it as evidenced by successfully rerunning the test a half-dozen times.

I blew away the win11 recovery partition when I flattened it so a restore that way isn’t an option.

I did confirm that my son’s friend plays Apex Legends which does indeed use Easy AntiCheat so we are going to look into a BIOS update.

It could also be thermals because the machine runs really, really hot. I ran a CPU and GPU stress test program, each for several hours and while both ran really hot (I can’t remember offhand what the numbers were) the numbers were right up against the factory spec ceiling, the machine ran stable for hours. Running without the side panel dropped temps by maybe a dozen degrees so I will say the case has bad thermal design and if it were mine I’d be cutting into it with a dremel by now.

I am going to try kale flashing the BIOS because that seems the likeliest culprit. If that doesn’t work, I’m going to have him run things with the case door off to see if it’s thermal related.

You can grab the Windows 11 ISO free from MSFT, as long as you have a key embedded somewhere, which you PROBABLY do, it should install with drat near no effort:
https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm working with thousands of IT and Information Security people, and a loving single digit including myself number of people who actually know poo poo about computers.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

evobatman posted:

I'm working with thousands of IT and Information Security people, and a loving single digit including myself number of people who actually know poo poo about computers.

Healthcare IT eh? Don’t miss that field at all.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

we love then the fiber gets cut, don't we folks

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

evobatman posted:

Healthcare or Education. Both nightmares. Godspeed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

evobatman posted:

I would never include myself

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Shugojin posted:

We had a severed G48 (missing a few meters of fibre, even) and a G96 with damage spread across 100+ meters...

loving projects, man.

They're fixing it, but no one reported it happening, it was just dumb luck that we checked things more closely after getting reports of some services being down when they absolutely shouldn't have been, along a closed stretch of track.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anyone know what's up with VLC suddenly appearing on people's computers?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Shugojin posted:

update: we are now 3 providers in on finding out who the hell owns this to fix it

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
A group at work upgraded to a new version of Solidworks. The majority of the work was migrating/updating the vault and database servers for all of their project data files. I'm just the janitor tasked with updating the client machines.

They're working with a tech support company that specializes in Solidworks and similar products to walk us through the upgrade, and everything went pretty drat smooth. After all the server stuff was done I upgraded the first client with help from tech support, and all was well. Upgraded the rest of the clients and called it a day.

The next morning none of the Solidworks users can access the vault. Great. I take a look, but everything looks fine on the workstations. Settings look right, but they're all getting the same error message:

quote:

The SQL-server user account associated with the vault has insufficient privileges.
The administrator can solve this by running the following command in the SQL Server Query Analyzer:

GRANT VIEW SERVER STATE TO <user name>
Now, I know gently caress-all about SQL, but rarely do I see such explicit error messages. Especially ones that include the exact command to resolve it. I send a screenshot to the manager and ask if he can have one of the DBAs take a look since it might be a quick/easy fix. He'd rather wait and get everyone back on a Teams call with the tech support rep before doing anything, just to be safe. Seems reasonable I guess, but the support rep is booked until the next week, so all the Solidworks users are just stuck using local files for awhile.

Fast-forward to yesterday morning, join the Teams call, and watch/listen to the support rep work through narrowing down the issue. They get to a point where the error appears, and there's a silent pause as we all read it.

The DBA chimes in first, "give me a sec and I'll run that grant for you."

"Okay, try it again."

Bingo. Vault access restored for everyone. Call was scheduled for an hour and it was over in less than 15 minutes.

Not exactly a horror story since nothing bad happened, but I had a good laugh over the pomp and circumstance of such a trivial resolution.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/bl4sty/status/1678657320023126017?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am broadly in support of all these companies making home user printers so hostile to their owners that companies cannot reliably expect people to have printing facilities available to them.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

I am broadly in support of all these companies making home user printers so hostile to their owners that companies cannot reliably expect people to have printing facilities available to them.

:same:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
HP has started loving with non-home printers too. Half the time now when our helpdesk asks me for help with a printer issue they can't figure out, I need not a password but a PIN, which they never realize they need to get. (How did they troubleshoot the device without discovering that? Great question.) Most of the time, that PIN is available from a printed report. Some of the time, it's physically printed inside a compartment on the printer. All of the time, they are no longer on site to get it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
HP now sells printers that require an active ethernet internet connection to print over USB. :fuckoff:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

gently caress printers, and gently caress HP.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Entropic posted:

HP now sells printers that require an active ethernet internet connection to print over USB. :fuckoff:

are you loving serious? what are the model numbers so we know to never buy them

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Just buy Brother color laser printers and never worry about a stupid printer again. They generally speaking just work and don't come with endless bloatware. The only time I had to replace ours is when I accidentally forgot to remove the toner before throwing it in a moving van and driving 250 miles and toner ended up shaking out all over to the point where it needed replacing.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Weedle posted:

I think you mean ‘so we can buy their entire stock’.

Honestly for anyone still using a printer: gently caress you

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Here's my printer:

It lives in the closet until I need to print something and then I pull it out, plug it in, print, then put it away again. The plastic piece that holds the paper drawer closed broke, otherwise it still works great. Drivers still work on Windows 11 too. My only printer for close to 20 years now, inshallah it will last another 20 and I never have to own a networked printer.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Weedle posted:

AFAIK it's the "e" in the model number that indicates it's tethered to a HP+ subscription and won't work if it can't check in with the online servers.

Most models are available both with and without that "feature" but of course the ones with the mandatory subscription are cheaper up front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why aren't the Hungarian hackers breaking John Deere DRM working on getting the standard HP firmware images onto their subscription printers :bahgawd: