Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://twitter.com/PGDHanson/status/1677420001630777344?s=20

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Man, Teysa's getting a lot of reprints in the past few months lol

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Framboise posted:

Man, Teysa's getting a lot of reprints in the past few months lol

just reprinting everything to the ground. this gotta sell better than double masters 2022 did.

also kemba at uncommon now.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

new Gorillaz album cover looks dope

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wish teysa were 1bw

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i netdecked a real fun ratadrabik of urborg historic brawl deck a bit back and teysa's my favorite include in the entire list

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I really dig those, the solid flat backgrounds are just cool

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
yeah, shame about those in perfect profile, why not treat them all like Yuriko?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

0/10, I don't get the feeling Teysa has figured out exactly how I'll fit jnto her plots and she's already thirteen steps into manipulating me into being exactly where she needs me to be to fulfill her end goals.

Not bad art, just not a fan of her expression and the full profile style.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I don't really care for that art style, myself, which is a reduction of fomo for me.

As far as Teysa goes, both of her other reprints from earlier have stellar art and I can only own so many and do nothing with them lol*

*I would actually very much like to build a commander deck with my Secret Lair Teysa at the helm (or be able to switch to Ratadrabik on the fly).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Randalor posted:

0/10, I don't get the feeling Teysa has figured out exactly how I'll fit jnto her plots and she's already thirteen steps into manipulating me into being exactly where she needs me to be to fulfill her end goals.

Not bad art, just not a fan of her expression and the full profile style.

Art Nouveau Teysa is great

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

flatluigi posted:

'the nazgul are cool cards and there's a clear commander for a nazgul themed deck' isn't exactly something people need to watch youtubers to conclude

And not what people watch them for.

People watch them to get good ideas for the other ~50 cards

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

trying to decide whether to go to a lotr jumpstart event today. I have the urge to play magic in person but I don't have any decks in actual formats like cedh, modern or pioneer. but I also don't really give a poo poo about lotr

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kalel posted:

trying to decide whether to go to a lotr jumpstart event today. I have the urge to play magic in person but I don't have any decks in actual formats like cedh, modern or pioneer. but I also don't really give a poo poo about lotr

I cashed in five jump in (same thing as jumpstart?) tokens on Arena yesterday and the games were not fun. If LotR isn’t your thing I don’t think it’d be worth it unless you really crave the interpersonal interaction.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
On the other hand, I had a ton of fun in Jumpstart and regularly play it on Arena just for fun. The LotR set in general has been good in formats you can play em.

I was planning doing the jumpstart event today as well, my main hesitation is the store hosting it smells terrible and has a bad vibe.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

kalel posted:

Maybe you're not a Limited format sort but if you're down for it and your local store does run Draft it might be worth inquiring about what set they're going to be using, even though LotR is the new thing right now not every store will be using it for their events by default. If it's a big enough store they might even be running multiple concurrent drafts with different sets for each.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Other posted:

Maybe you're not a Limited format sort but if you're down for it and your local store does run Draft it might be worth inquiring about what set they're going to be using, even though LotR is the new thing right now not every store will be using it for their events by default. If it's a big enough store they might even be running multiple concurrent drafts with different sets for each.

I was thinking about that, I'm a big limited head at least on arena so I wouldn't mind doing a draft. thanks :)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

our local store isn't actually holding a jumpstart event, its just a 'go in and buy two packs and you also get the dice' type thing since saturdays are the weekend day where they hold all the non-magic events :v:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

gimme the skinny on LOTR draft then. is it still dominated by BR and amass, and is there any off ramp into other archetypes or colors if you get cut off from that

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

kalel posted:

gimme the skinny on LOTR draft then. is it still dominated by BR and amass, and is there any off ramp into other archetypes or colors if you get cut off from that
everyone fights for BR, if you don't open bombs/1st picks don't bother

I had the most success with 3 color green piles, with the really good GU legends as workhorses

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

kalel posted:

GW food/hobbits is good, G/B tempted is great if you get Smeagol, gollum and rise of the witch king, U/B amass mill control is amazing if you get enough pieces for it (mouth of sauron, surrounded by orcs, mordor muster, tons of removal and counterspells), RW aggro is similarly loving bonkers if you can get it

Just because BR Amass is the best doesn't mean nothing else is viable

Edit: this format loving owns and is probably an all-timer for me

Edit 2: oh gently caress, I forgot about UR spells, that deck can go the gently caress off with Gandalf the grey and the enchantment that's basically guttersnipe

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 8, 2023

Kids and Guns
Apr 1, 2013

kalel posted:

Ux spells/tempt can do a lot of work. It's probably what I've drafted the most so far. Prioritize good blue spells like Lorien Revealed, Birthday Escape, and Gales. Pelargir Survivors are also super important, for early blockers and spell ramp/fixing. They also hold the Ring pretty well.

UR gets all the good red spells, and has potential for getting Bilbo/Gandalf's Sanctions. A single Sanction can be a good win condition, especially since these blue decks usually want at least one Treason of Isengard to recur Lorien Revealed/removal.

UB gets all the good black cards. Not much more to say there, black is the best color, pick the removal etc etc.

Mouth of Sauron is a good splash card for any Ux deck, you can target yourself with the mill to make a huge Army or point it at your opponent to also mill them. It's also probably the best target for Meneldor the blink bird at uncommon.

If you don't have a good way to stop yourself from decking, like 2+ Bath Song or 1 Bath Song and either Revive the Shire or Rise of the Witch King, you'll want to be thinking about cards in your library. You'll probably be the player in each match who will deck first, so just keep in mind how many turns you have to win. You might not want to loot with the Ring each turn if you're low. Bath Song is probably the uncommon you want the most in this deck, it is absolutely nuts.

These decks can have trouble with your opponent going wide with Rally tokens/random X/1s, so The Black Breath is a good splash card. The best part of having these silver bullets is you can loot them away with the Ring when they aren't relevant or you can't cast them and need to dig for other stuff.

UW can do the control thing too, since no one else is likely to want cards like Banish to Edoras. It's definitely not as synergistic and usually not as powerful as Grixis.

I've not drafted UG.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

UG is only playable if you get every good enabler plus multiples of the creature that gets +1/+0 and unblockable when you scry

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Gave myself a single try in the BO1 qualifier play-in for next week's Qualifier Weekend, went 6-1. First time I ever spiked one of these. So after cashing the Open last weekend I am now queued for the next two Qualifier Weekends, which I find amusing because I really dislike LTR as a format but have been running insanely hot in it. I don't expect to make it to the Pro Tour via Qualifier Weekends (you have to go 7-1 or better two days in a row) but I always wanted to play in one of them so I am thrilled to be queued for two practically out of nowhere.

I'll be playing a sealed RCQ next Saturday (format will be MOM though) so I will probably end up registering for the Qualifier Weekend on my iPad between rounds (entry window is 3-5pm in my timezone) and playing the matches later when I get home lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Lmao, explorer is somehow a worse format than pioneer. I didn't know what I expected after not firing up arena for a while but this is bad news bears. If WOTC can't even get pioneer in arena, then forget everything else. I guess drafting at least gets a decent client.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
explorer's been fun imo

what did you lose against?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

flatluigi posted:

explorer's been fun imo

what did you lose against?

Its not what I lost against. Its what I can't play because its not imported into arena yet. Its frustrating to not have a format as basic as pioneer not sync'd up yet.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does Explorer at least have more diversity than pioneer?

Went to LotR celebration, got the dice. Jumpstart is pretty fun on paper, my deck was some Blue Scry / White Ring deal. First opponent had the exact same deck lol.

Absolutely ridiculous they don't include a ring or any tokens. At the very least the drat deck theme card could have a token on the back, weird choice that.

I won a few games but the synergy on my deck was wonky so I actually bought another 2 packs (tbh hoping for a Nazgul) and got doubles lol. Aggressive monored deck, won twice easily, then I barely lost a third match mostly because I stuck with a 1 land hand. That played out exactly as I deserved.

I'll take the spiteful banditry for a commander deck, fun boardwipe imo, gimme da treasures.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Explorer is a hell of a lot better than historic which is just trying to slam the most broken poo poo as quickly as possible with little regard to what the other player is doing. Oh and the second someone is the slightest bit behind they concede.

Also went to the LOTR jumpstart thing. Wins were hard fought because of the low power level and the mind games with tapping certain lands and humming and hawing were great. Went 2-1 for some store credit and picked up the Yoji Shinkawa Satoru Umezawa. Just need to get the Junji Ito elesh norn to finish off that secret lair art set.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

My friend said this set Jumpstart is the same as the other bad Jumpstarts. Five themes, two variations each? I'm going to buy one of each theme in singles to make some reusable packs, but there's no way I'm buying that sealed unless it's for an event

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sickening posted:

Its not what I lost against. Its what I can't play because its not imported into arena yet. Its frustrating to not have a format as basic as pioneer not sync'd up yet.

it's still three thousand cards they have to put in, it'd take a while even if they were adding cards every month

if you weren't aware, there's gonna be a historic and an explorer anthology coming out later this month. we don't know everything that's in the anthologies yet, but we do know the explorer one is getting the canopy lands, cyclonic rift, deathrite shaman, eidolon of blossoms, choird of calling, xenagos god of revels, and abbot of keral keep

(the historic anthology is also not fully revealed yet, but it's got tooth and nail, worn powerstone, acidic slime, bloodbraid elf, echoing decay, sunbaked canyon, sun titan, and primeval titan)

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

big cummers ONLY posted:

My friend said this set Jumpstart is the same as the other bad Jumpstarts. Five themes, two variations each? I'm going to buy one of each theme in singles to make some reusable packs, but there's no way I'm buying that sealed unless it's for an event

Yeah It's not the og jumpstart or jumpstart 2022. I initially got 2 of the same white one and the guy beside me got 2 of the red. We ended up swapping a pack probably to our detriment but whatever.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hopefully those anthologies launch with a non-alchemy hbrawl, because it's fun when your mono blue opponent gets to cast loving lightning helix, doom blade or swords to plowshares because of tome of the infinite or key to the archive

Also just put sol ring into hbrawl already goddamn

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
hbrawl doesn't even have the fig leaf of "well your opponents can all gang up on you to stop you getting too far ahead" that the commander folks use to justify not banning sol ring, lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sickening posted:

programming is hard yo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tbh i think it's mainly just 'how the hell are we going to release all these cards' and less the actual programming, since everything about arena's card acquisition breaks if you're releasing more than a ~300 card set at once (and even then that wants for being able to draft it simultaneously). like it'd be nice if they just went 'here's all the cards, we're just adding them to everyone's accounts' but then they wouldn't make any money off of it lol

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

flatluigi posted:

it's still three thousand cards they have to put in, it'd take a while even if they were adding cards every month

if you weren't aware, there's gonna be a historic and an explorer anthology coming out later this month. we don't know everything that's in the anthologies yet, but we do know the explorer one is getting the canopy lands, cyclonic rift, deathrite shaman, eidolon of blossoms, choird of calling, xenagos god of revels, and abbot of keral keep

(the historic anthology is also not fully revealed yet, but it's got tooth and nail, worn powerstone, acidic slime, bloodbraid elf, echoing decay, sunbaked canyon, sun titan, and primeval titan)

You can prioritize 3k cards based on if someone is putting them in a pioneer deck. They have access to this data better than anyone. Out of those 3k cards, there are probably less than a hundred that see even a small amount of play, way less that see a lot of play.

kalel posted:

programming is hard yo

I remember all this talk about how the arena rules engine was going to way easier than modo to put new cards in. Turns out, the amount of cards added to arena vs modo isn't that impressive. If anything, its kind of the opposite. Modo seems to be keeping pace with new card releases and the the amount of cards released only to arena is... lmao.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

you know what would have sped pioneer implementation up? if they didn't spend all their resources into historic and explorer formats
edit: and emrakul, although that probably was somewhat worth it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

you know what would have sped pioneer implementation up? if they didn't spend all their resources into historic and explorer formats
edit: and emrakul, although that probably was somewhat worth it.

do you mean alchemy? I bet having to adjust the engine to handle digital only cards, then qa'ing all of them to make sure they don't break the game, took some kind of toll on the explorer anthology and remastered set release schedule

kalel fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Sickening posted:

I remember all this talk about how the arena rules engine was going to way easier than modo to put new cards in. Turns out, the amount of cards added to arena vs modo isn't that impressive. If anything, its kind of the opposite. Modo seems to be keeping pace with new card releases and the the amount of cards released only to arena is... lmao.

magic arena was rushed trash designed to captivate the people that like watching a pixelated card slam down and sometimes shoot lines and bump into one another, from a different card game that at the time was taking a sizable market share. wotc hasn't seemed to have cared about the quality of any of their products short of whether it affects their bottom line or not. they stopped using good card stock like a decade ago lol