Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

im_sorry posted:

You guys are agents from Arturia trying to get me to buy a Rackbrute, aren't you.....

I've never been able to get into properly using Softube Modular, even though I bought some really cool modules. I really have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it, and while I did find a really cool series of tutorials on the program, they're really really long, and I just can't muster the interest level to watch them. I usually get a basic oscillator/filter/amp thing going, and then lose interest, so I've decided that modular probably isn't for me, although I imagine using the physical hardware would be more intuitive.

It's a VST, right? Doesn't it have some presets? How familiar are you with using VSTs and what is your DAW? Or is it a standalone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Looks like a closed source VCV Rack.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's exactly what it is, you trade VCV's absurd library of free modules for well known brands in software form.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I've seen a few requests for a good portable mixer to use with volcas and other smaller synths ITT and while I have no use for this anymore this is exactly the thing I would have wanted when I was still owning my volcas. Thought it could interest some people if they weren't aware this exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpOY3rYaLA0

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I've seen a few requests for a good portable mixer to use with volcas and other smaller synths ITT and while I have no use for this anymore this is exactly the thing I would have wanted when I was still owning my volcas. Thought it could interest some people if they weren't aware this exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpOY3rYaLA0

i’ve been looking for a no-nonse mixer for a while and this seems like pretty much exactly what i’m looking for. also just wanna run kick drums through the maxxed gain and feedback

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I think I might lease to own Serum. I'm on Splice's 3 day trial. Seems like the main tool people making the kind of music I like and want to make use. Heaps easy to do a supersaw. Now I just gotta find someone who doesn't breeze past every setting or I have to pause and meticulously copy and wonder why my poo poo sounds nothing close to theirs.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
spectraphon? more like spectrafun

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I think I might lease to own Serum. I'm on Splice's 3 day trial. Seems like the main tool people making the kind of music I like and want to make use. Heaps easy to do a supersaw. Now I just gotta find someone who doesn't breeze past every setting or I have to pause and meticulously copy and wonder why my poo poo sounds nothing close to theirs.

serum is good and legendary for a reason, it’s worth checking out vital tho if you haven’t. it’s very similar but free. better in some ways and worse in some and if you haven’t already enshrined yourself into serum by using it in a bunch of projects it’s worth trying it out and seeing which one you prefer

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Better in lots of ways. True dual filters, better reverb, proper modulation scaling, audio rate LFOs.

Perhaps some of the dubstep wub tricks don’t literally work as in the tutorials, but eh.

That said: no Vital without Serum, no Serum without Massive.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Vaguely recall Helm being a good freebie too

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Laserjet 4P posted:

Better in lots of ways. True dual filters, better reverb, proper modulation scaling, audio rate LFOs.

Perhaps some of the dubstep wub tricks don’t literally work as in the tutorials, but eh.

That said: no Vital without Serum, no Serum without Massive.

yeah the two filers is really nice but there’s not nearly as many types of filters so it is what it is. and for the most part i don’t really care but the weirdo ones in serum are extremely well designed

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

This Bento box is freaking awesome. I recorded a segment in it with the "tape recorder" and then played that back in vcv rack with the nysthi complex simpler, and fed it through a bunch of fx.

Here's 10 2/3 minutes of ambient noise texture for your :canada: day celebrations https://voca.ro/1g4jBZwksujq

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nigel Tufnel posted:

95% sure I'm going to buy a model:samples but wouldn't mind a sense check. Will mostly be using it as a drum machine paired with a Roland S1 as poly synth but may use it standalone from time to time. I'd like to make some IDMish + future garage stuff and mostly play 'live' rather than pre-sequence everything. I'm thinking I can load in some 909 and Burial-esque samples. I like that it has para-meter possibilities and you can play the trigger probability pretty easily which I like to do. Conditional stuff is cool too.

In this price range and for that use am I missing out on anything else obvious? Volca beats / drums looks less ergonomic and doesn't have the parameters I want to perform with as easily accessible.

Just do it, the model:samples absolutely kicks rear end!

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Gonna ask here because I've been trying to work up a NMD OP and failing for a couple days.

Is noise music that makes you want to dance a genre or a movement? Like there are certain commonalities in the sonic palettes of hyperpop, breakcore and audio maximalism to my ear.
The article A Sex Close to Noise by Leah Tigers draws an interesting through line of trans women noise musicians, but it only makes me more curious in the history of the noise scene as a whole.

TL;DR: been listening to a lot of Lauren Bousfield, why does her music go so hard?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Gonna ask here because I've been trying to work up a NMD OP and failing for a couple days.

Is noise music that makes you want to dance a genre or a movement? Like there are certain commonalities in the sonic palettes of hyperpop, breakcore and audio maximalism to my ear.
The article A Sex Close to Noise by Leah Tigers draws an interesting through line of trans women noise musicians, but it only makes me more curious in the history of the noise scene as a whole.

TL;DR: been listening to a lot of Lauren Bousfield, why does her music go so hard?

Rhythmic noise/powernoise is a subgenre of industrial music that peaked in the very early 00s but is still going. It varies in precisely how noisy it is, and some is just 4/4 techno loops or breakcore/dnb with a bit of distortion while some is more IDM or or interestingly experimental techno or verges into stuff you can't dance to, but it covers a pretty broad church of "noisy but danceable". The artists at least originally tended to either be people who wanted to push the boundaries of techno towards noise, or people who liked noise but also wanted to get played in clubs.

Back in the day, I remember people who liked listening to idk Merzbow and straight up harsh noise stuff getting really angry that the subgenre had 'noise' in the name because it was fairly explicitly club music for dancing to and they were not down for that being called noise, which is fair really. Like, this sort of thing doesn't fit in the NMD noise/drone thread at all, even if some of the artists who make it love that kind of stuff.

Anyway, rhythmic noise/powernoise is very beat-driven but generally distorted and can at times be pretty harsh and abrasive - and many of the artists doing it were certainly interested in and influenced by experimental/noise music even if it wasn't what they were actually making for the most part. The labels and festivals for this kind of thing would certainly have artists that people unfamiliar with this subgenre would call noise music, along with power electronics as well.

Couple of fave tracks from back in the day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrdSL2MA3wo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av8TgQME_70

Distortion Six are a more current artist doing this kind of thing, big fan https://ant-zen.bandcamp.com/album/skade

And there's Catastrophe Noise who I really like, her music kinda veers between really noisy beats, occasionally fairly plain undistorted stuff and a few tracks that are more just experimental and out there. https://catastrophenoise.bandcamp.com/track/to-all-my-exes

I've been listening to this sort of thing for over two decades now tho so I guess if it interests you, PM me and I can give you like a million recs. If this isn't what you wanted at all, then oops.

edit: oh and there's Hypnoskull, he's great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KlEqKq__no

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 4, 2023

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I just discovered this one earlier this year when one of the guys from I Die: You Die brought it up on their podcast when the subject was something like, "music you like to listen to when you feel really, really lovely."

Some other favs of mine in the whole rhythmic noise/power noise vein of industrial music:

Converter - Blast Furnace
https://ant-zen.bandcamp.com/album/blast-furnace

Iszoloscope - False Vacuum
https://ant-zen.bandcamp.com/album/false-vacuum

Wychdoktor - Pact
https://wychdoktor.bandcamp.com/album/pact

DA OCTOPUSS - The Rise
https://daoctopusss.bandcamp.com/album/da-octopusss-the-rise-ep
Is this one you, Danger - Octopus! ?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

DA OCTOPUSS - The Rise
https://daoctopusss.bandcamp.com/album/da-octopusss-the-rise-ep
Is this one you, Danger - Octopus! ?

lmao no, I've seen them live though and they wore those ridic tentacle masks the whole time. They must have been so sweaty underneath.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Just do it, the model:samples absolutely kicks rear end!

In possibly the quickest GAS of all time, I started gassing for the Polyend Play while the Model Samples was still in transit to my house and now it's being returned to be replaced with the Play.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
My synth squad mate has another jam up with his S-1 and T-8. It's amazing to me how much he manages to coax out of these little things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y-dCnLOpR4

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

My synth squad mate has another jam up with his S-1 and T-8. It's amazing to me how much he manages to coax out of these little things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y-dCnLOpR4

Nice, is that a lizard or are you happy to see me. I just pulled the trigger on an S-1. Seems like it's really made to suit so many of my personal wants.

How many axes does the accelerometer do? Just one or two?

ED: Just dled the manual and it appears it has two, which is a real winner for me.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 5, 2023

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I have one myself and it's great. I haven't really dived deeply into it yet but even the little bit I've done with it is very cool.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I really wish the new Roland non-boutiques didn’t have non-removable batteries, otherwise I’d have prolly bought a set already

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Immediate got GAS for this, plus I just sold my previous (Behringer) MIDI-to-CV module and this is much more powerful.

https://youtu.be/jkMMAuse5HA

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

duck.exe posted:

Immediate got GAS for this, plus I just sold my previous (Behringer) MIDI-to-CV module and this is much more powerful.

https://youtu.be/jkMMAuse5HA

Another good one to consider if you have a bunch of 1U spac is the Intellijel MIDI 1U system. It has 8 CV ports on it and it can take up to 4 additional 8 port expansion blocks. There is editor software to assign every port, assign poly blocks, drum blocks, voltage range per port etc, its pretty awesome.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have the Befaco MIDI->CV module, but they are about to come out with a new v2 of it.

I think I will get the new one, because it looks like exactly what I want.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

There is also the "can I make this work?" method I use of niftycase and/or neutron's onboard midi to cv

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
that thing is definitely super cool but im in a similar position to b33rchiller where i have a bunch of worse midi to cv converters that add up to be enough for me (mainly 2 nifty cases + 2 sq64s)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CatBlack posted:

that thing is definitely super cool but im in a similar position to b33rchiller where i have a bunch of worse midi to cv converters that add up to be enough for me (mainly 2 nifty cases + 2 sq64s)

:same: plus the SQ-1 of course, and I think the modular side of the MS-20, I'm kinda eager to try sending out to a Wavetek 185 from that.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I think the next-step for my modular setup is to look into some smarter clocking and quantizing options, vs my current setup of having like four different 8-step sequencers and kind of hoping I can remember what the hell is going on. What are some good master clock and quantizer options out there right now? wouldn't need to be a single module by any means, but I would like a clock source that's pretty flexible and has some clock division/multiple outs available if possible.

Is Pamela's New Workout still kind of the be-all end-all of master clocks?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

LZX finally restocked a bunch of stuff. Anyone have an LZX setup? I’m real tempted to splurge, but at this point I’ve got a pile of video synthesis gear I don’t think will play nice with it.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

MockingQuantum posted:

I love mine and it’s completely changed how I make music. It’s also super intuitive and doesn’t take long to learn.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

MockingQuantum posted:

I think the next-step for my modular setup is to look into some smarter clocking and quantizing options, vs my current setup of having like four different 8-step sequencers and kind of hoping I can remember what the hell is going on. What are some good master clock and quantizer options out there right now? wouldn't need to be a single module by any means, but I would like a clock source that's pretty flexible and has some clock division/multiple outs available if possible.

theres pamela's pro workout now. i bought pamela's new workout because everyone is getting rid of it and it seems like a very solid clock / lfo device with some decent quantization built in. i've also used temps utile for a long time and find it very useful for manipulating clock signals. my main quantizer is ornament and crime and i dont think i could live without it

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I have a Noise Engineering Fractio Solum as a stand alone clock divider. It has a huge range of divisions and it does multiplication of clocks too. Might be something to look at if you're only looking for a divider.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

LZX finally restocked a bunch of stuff. Anyone have an LZX setup? I’m real tempted to splurge, but at this point I’ve got a pile of video synthesis gear I don’t think will play nice with it.

Do it. And post more about your video synth setup.
There's a module from I think Syntonie that will process composite video into LZX compatible RGB. I'm not in front of my computer right now but just look at modulargrid under Video.
Edit: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/syntonie-vu003b ah, it only encodes from component, my bad.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 8, 2023

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

https://moogaudio.com/products/befaco-7u-case-diy
I think I found my box. 70 mm depth in some parts.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I love the idea of a DIY kit case, but that’s way too expensive for DIY (I realize it’s CAD). A Mantis is ~$350 USD. The Intellijel 7u case it is competing with is $700 USD.
I don’t see what’s so special about this Befaco one to justify its price.

I know the site linked is Canadian, but even the USD prices I’ve seen for the Befaco case - both assembled and DIY - seem out of whack with everything else available.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I love the idea of a DIY kit case, but that’s way too expensive for DIY (I realize it’s CAD). A Mantis is ~$350 USD. The Intellijel 7u case it is competing with is $700 USD.
I don’t see what’s so special about this Befaco one to justify its price.

I know the site linked is Canadian, but even the USD prices I’ve seen for the Befaco case - both assembled and DIY - seem out of whack with everything else available.

It's really not that far off in price from the comparable Intellijel. I think you're getting lost in the currency conversion sauce.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Can I ask for a little help or at least a sanity check? Hooking up my brand-new S1 to my computer via usb or MIDI, I can't send MIDI notes that it will play. The transport button on REAPER is making it play patterns, but nothing else is happening. Can't it simply play MIDI notes? I've tried a number of cables and both the MIDI in and the supplied USB cable. Like I said, the only thing I've been able to do via MIDI is make the sequencer start and stop. Which is really nice but I kind of assumed if it has a tone generator and MIDI in it would be able to play a note. But maybe not?

petit choux fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 9, 2023

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

petit choux posted:

Can I ask for a little help or at least a sanity check?

Assuming you mean Roland S-1 on the product page it does say “use the S-1 and its MIDI I/O as a standalone sound module in a larger performance” which sounds exactly like what you’re trying to do. In Reaper you should have the track routed to midi out which it isn’t by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Stoca Zola posted:

Assuming you mean Roland S-1 on the product page it does say “use the S-1 and its MIDI I/O as a standalone sound module in a larger performance” which sounds exactly like what you’re trying to do. In Reaper you should have the track routed to midi out which it isn’t by default.

Thanks for the reply.

Thank you and yes, I believe I routed the track correctly, as I have with a number of other instruments. I only have one MIDI cable adapter RN and maybe it is the wrong kind, but the USB wasn't doing anything either although the transport did appear to be sending. I'll be looking into this some more. I mean I know it has a nice sequencer but I was thinking of sending from an external sequencer anyway and I'd be disappointed if it can't do that.