Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

besides annoying Kim and getting called Roonie, not much else comes to mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Regalingualius posted:

Well, I restarted my first play through from scratch and did quite a bit more than I remembered doing on day 1 the last time.

Is there any reason to continue keeping the corpse around in the freezer once you’ve both found the bullet in his head and steal his boots, or am I in the clear to have him shipped out?

When you ship him out, Kim goes with him.

So do that when you want to do some COOL things. Like selling drugs to a kid, or learning about cryptids, or getting the low down on reality.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The WoolieVersus playthrough is amusing but mostly at the expense of Woolie, who gets upset at there being no "libertarian left" political alignment and goes on extended rants about tankies and misunderstands very basic lines of dialogue (like when he thinks putting soot on Harry's face like warpaint is a blackface thing)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He makes a good point though, Harry should be able to do a land acknowledgement and lecture people on why Dick Mullen is copoganda

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Mystic Mongol posted:

When you ship him out, Kim goes with him.

So do that when you want to do some COOL things. Like selling drugs to a kid, or learning about cryptids, or getting the low down on reality.

See, those are reasons to ship him out, not keep the body there! If you answer questions they don't ask as well as the ones they do, they're never going to become better can openers. :colbert:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The best part of the WoolieVs LP was when he failed the "intimidate Titus Hardie" check and laughed so hard he threw his back out.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The best part of the WoolieVs LP was when he failed the "intimidate Titus Hardie" check and laughed so hard he threw his back out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tLp8KJWpuQ&t=5400s

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

No Dignity posted:

He makes a good point though, Harry should be able to do a land acknowledgement and lecture people on why Dick Mullen is copoganda

This would actually be really funny

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

(like when he thinks putting soot on Harry's face like warpaint is a blackface thing)

I thought that specifically goes to a racial place if you fail a check or something?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

I thought that specifically goes to a racial place if you fail a check or something?

eh. you can assert that it's echoing ancient graad hero ramout karzai (and then it says that he's from iilmaraa? error, I guess) but I wouldn't say it's a "racial place."

more probably you're thinking of the check to figure out that elizabeth the gardener is keeping watch on you on day 1. if you fail the check (viscal? drama? I forget) it goes "all you can see is that her skin is a different color than yours. That's literally it. You're gonna have to go with that" and the only dialogue option is "You're black." which goes about as well as you might expect

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing that kept consistently slaying me when I'd check out other playthroughs is how upset almost all of them got at getting The World's Most Laughable Centrist achievement. Or their reactions to the end-of-game evaluation. Especially funny when they get evaluated as a fascist.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Every livestreamer I've watched hates Jean Vicquemare and I absolutely do not get it. No respect for the man. he's your *goddamn* partneur.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 5, 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

CJacobs posted:

Every livestreamer I've watched hates Jean Vicquemare and I absolutely do not get it. No respect for the man. he's your *goddamn* partneur.

Kim is way cooler than him though

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My voice proceeds to grow smaller as I defend his persistent agita. He had to deal with Harry for yeeeaaarrsss

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jean and Harry's probable dynamic when they worked together is something I'd love to see. The impression I got is that Jean is probably more like Harry than he cares to admit which is why he takes Harry's collapse so personally past just having to put up with a suicidal drunk.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

The WoolieVersus playthrough is amusing but mostly at the expense of Woolie, who gets upset at there being no "libertarian left" political alignment and goes on extended rants about tankies and misunderstands very basic lines of dialogue (like when he thinks putting soot on Harry's face like warpaint is a blackface thing)
The anarchists are mentioned in the game, very briefly, as one of the groups who got shot during the revolution. The book actually portrays Revachol's revolution as being lead by anarchists, rather than communists. The writers know that anarchism is real, distinct from communism, and a motivating force. The fact that Harry cannot become obsessed with them and rarely even remembers them seems like a joke about modern communists to me.

(I don't know anything about Woolie's critiques, so this isn't in defense of those, just an observation about the lack of overt "left libertarian" politics in this game.)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Don't worry, there's a section of the fandom that absolutely thirsts after him too.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Are there any good Let's Plays of the game that don't follow most people's first run (moralist/mild communist, sorry/boring cop, minimal drug use)

I want to see a blind LP where someone really leans into the wild and goes superstar or apocalypse or ultraliberal or fascist in their first run. Just to get a different vibe on it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Aww, boo! I missed out on Torque Dork due to a technicality, despite meeting all the requirements. The game gave me the achievement but not the dialogue for the ingame thought.

From what I can tell, it's because I had 1 Logic instead of 2 when I clicked this. So, it's no longer replaced with the Logic 2 version that lets me recognize the noise of the carriage. The game checks for this during the Torque Dork conversation. Bummer!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Don't worry, there's a section of the fandom that absolutely thirsts after him too.

Feast and famine going around in the Disco Elysium fan community

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 5, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sebzilla posted:

Are there any good Let's Plays of the game that don't follow most people's first run (moralist/mild communist, sorry/boring cop, minimal drug use)

I want to see a blind LP where someone really leans into the wild and goes superstar or apocalypse or ultraliberal or fascist in their first run. Just to get a different vibe on it.

Supergreatfriend (formerly of the LP subforum fame) has a playthrough that's communist, but otherwise he went for
- max physique
- superstar
- speed freak

Also it's a very thorough and will put together series in general.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
If the OG team ever got to make another game set in Revachol, I'd have loved if it starred Jean. We don't really get a lot about him except that his belligerent, gaping rear end in a top hat front belies a frankly unreasonable amount of loyalty and respect for Harry.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

steinrokkan posted:

Supergreatfriend (formerly of the LP subforum fame) has a playthrough that's communist, but otherwise he went for
- max physique
- superstar
- speed freak

Also it's a very thorough and will put together series in general.

And fittingly, when he got the boombox he had Harry playing it ALL THE TIME.

Interestingly enough, the music from the boombox supercedes all background audio, so in scenes where there would be very haunting melodies, instead there was just eurotrash dance being blared endlessly.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Samovar posted:

And fittingly, when he got the boombox he had Harry playing it ALL THE TIME.

Interestingly enough, the music from the boombox supercedes all background audio, so in scenes where there would be very haunting melodies, instead there was just eurotrash dance being blared endlessly.

This is how you stop The Pale

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

No Dignity posted:

post/avatar/username combo on point

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
On an entirely unrelated note: Revachol Pyscho Harry.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I feel like your opinion of Jean depends entirely on whether you get the Esprit check after the precinct phone call. I can easily imagine not caring for him if you don't get to see that.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

No Dignity posted:

Lol at this actually being true. I wonder if the devs thought about that when they implemented the boom box. I'm sure there are a few checks for it where people tell you they hear it (besides the obvious one from the island guy), but if shivers or someone made a comment that touched on the pale while you did it that'd be cool.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Killingyouguy! posted:

drat, I didn't think it was possible to fill up the thought catalogue. I only ever did the like two thoughts the game seemed to require of me. They cost skill points so they didn't seem worth it, better to use the skill points to get rerolls on white checks

(I should note, I thought the clock mattered and I really was racing against time to stop a civil war from breaking out, so clearing checks as fast as possible seemed like the priority)

This is the saddest post in the thread :(

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Why would you not go Apocalypse Cop in your first run, it has the most awesome lines. No role play needed either considering real life

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I know its just the moustache but drat this guy is definitely Harry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xA_yrHOQLo&t=401s

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
So I was watching an LP and it just hit me that the Doomed Commercial Area intercom is where Harry got the idea to nuke his memory with the Swallow. "Ever since I came to work here it's been different... As if my mind's been wiped clean... It's so nice. It's so nice to finally forget about you." No idea how I missed that until now—maybe I just never "talked" to the recording twice after my first playthrough?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IIRC your precinct buddies imply that you’ve done this before, or at the very least you’ve done a couple of practice runs before really nuking yourself so I think this is an idea Harry had before he came to Martinaise

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh03HBTGcs4

hadn't seen this little treasure before

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

christmas boots posted:

IIRC your precinct buddies imply that you’ve done this before, or at the very least you’ve done a couple of practice runs before really nuking yourself so I think this is an idea Harry had before he came to Martinaise

It's my own pet theory but I always thought it would've been quite fitting if the Insulindian Phasmid was what gave Harry amnesia. He went on a drunken rampage ended up on the other side of the river met the stick insect and it wiped his mind like it's been did to the deserter, would also give the game a bit of a nice bookend to it
People keep claiming that Harry did it to himself before though, but ah well I've always thought it was a neat idea.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Everyone always wants to read the deepest lore implications into Harry's backstory and abilities but I like to think he's just a wily cop who got really hosed up on a bender

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the game very deliberately avoids confirming any one theory so you can say whichever one you prefer is the most plausible, but I'd say there's plenty of reason to think it's the Phasmid; it clearly has the ability to do so, and it cares about people in its own alien arthropod way. It is very kind in the Inland Empire conversation and straight up tells Harry to forget about what's-her-face, and if you want a more credible skill's input, Volition believes it gave Iosef the idea to leave may bells for Klaasje. Plus there's the solution to Cleaning Out the Rooms which pretty explicitly suggests a supportive third party deliberately boxed away your memories in the hopes that you'd only unpack the good ones later.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Any sufficiently consciousness altering drug trip+drinking binge is indistinguishable from divine prophecy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I also ascribe to the idea that nothing supernatural happened to him, but if it did it wouldn't change much.

Personally, I think his name was a real big factor in discarding his identity for this case. There are hints all over the place that Harry didn't just dislike his name, he actively held disdain for it and the meaning attached to it. The smashed bird at the bar, followed by shouting that he "doesn't want to be this type of animal anymore" implies to me that his mind had connected detective cops to being the embodiment of a harrier, the hawk. Nearly everyone, even Kim, comments that the name suits him. If you manage to call Video Revachol, they've still got his name on file at the site of one of his hardest memories. Even the description of your badge lays on a 'really' if Kim isn't there as if he doesn't want to believe it:

quote:

BADGE: LTN-2JFR DU BOIS - This document confirms it -- Harrier Du Bois, i.e. Harry, is really your name.

After 40+ years of being reminded that your purpose is to overwatch the whole world from the thick of it via your name, I can see why you'd grow a little tired of it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 13, 2023

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think the game very deliberately avoids confirming any one theory so you can say whichever one you prefer is the most plausible, but I'd say there's plenty of reason to think it's the Phasmid; it clearly has the ability to do so, and it cares about people in its own alien arthropod way. It is very kind in the Inland Empire conversation and straight up tells Harry to forget about what's-her-face, and if you want a more credible skill's input, Volition believes it gave Iosef the idea to leave may bells for Klaasje. Plus there's the solution to Cleaning Out the Rooms which pretty explicitly suggests a supportive third party deliberately boxed away your memories in the hopes that you'd only unpack the good ones later.

Yeah, I think this is the only pathway to a hopeful 'maybe this time will be different for Harry' interpretation of the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Because the skill is Inland Empire, I believe that the phasmid isn't actually having a conversation with Harry. Harry is having a conversation with himself