Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You will enjoy the Alexa story then. It’s the same story really, “CEO believes in fairy dust that costs his company billions.”

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11/amazon-alexa-is-a-colossal-failure-on-pace-to-lose-10-billion-this-year/amp/

Lol. My kids love asking Amazon Alexa thousands of inane questions. Good job, boys, rack up those server fees.

Bad snipe, have this video about Cenk and Anna being awful, which dropped 3 days ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6DiIQWb0DE

anonumos fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I need to find that article about the failure of Alexa where it's revealed that amazon had a full time employee just for dog facts.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

anonumos posted:

Lol. My kids love asking Amazon Alexa thousands of inane questions. Good job, boys, rack up those server fees.

Bad snipe, have this video about Cenk and Anna being awful, which dropped 3 days ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6DiIQWb0DE

Can I get a summary

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Shageletic posted:

Can I get a summary

quote:

Over the past several months Ana Kasparian and Cenk Uygur have taken increasingly transphobic stances, especially regarding trans women in sports but also more generally when it comes to trans youth getting access to gender affirming care.

They have begun to lash out at anyone that calls them out on where they are wrong and basically refused to learn. Recently Ana went so far as to defend Jesse Singal, who is very well known as a transphobe.

I've no idea who any of these people are.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You will enjoy the Alexa story then. It’s the same story really, “CEO believes in fairy dust that costs his company billions.”

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11/amazon-alexa-is-a-colossal-failure-on-pace-to-lose-10-billion-this-year/amp/

It's amazing because I'm sure even in the wildest olde sci fi, when Cpt Sammerson said 'computer, order me a star pizza and arrange the sky taxi for 8', no one quite speculated the computer was charging him $10 for the privilege and selling his food preference data back to his health insurance

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Steadiman posted:

Yeah it’s really funny. Every step of the way literally everyone was loudly saying that it was never gonna work and nobody cared but he just committed to it entirely. I think that’s what happens when you start believing every decision you make is great because you once got very lucky. Kinda like someone else we know.

Also my favorite Metaverse anecdote was that after sinking billions into it, it ended up with something between 100 and 200 users (mostly people forced by their job to use it) and made maybe a few thousand bucks. Also the big reveal that they were finally gonna add legs and it turns out they still couldn’t and their big hype video was just a motion captured fake. In fact all their hype videos were absolutely hilarious because they showed just the most godawful way of interacting but had to pretend it was super clever and intuitive with such fake enthusiasm. You can’t write comedy like that

I love techbro fuckup stories like that so much. Things like the Juicero will never not be funny

I don't want to undermine anyone's faith in the American Dream here, but it seems like most if not all the techbro geniuses that hit it big got where they were by sheer dumb luck.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hell even in cyberpunk your AI was typically at least yours?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't think this is quite on the same level, it does mostly work, people do use it, but they're just not able to monetize it effectively even though it seems like there's an obvious way by having you order poo poo thorough it.

gschmidl posted:

I've no idea who any of these people are.
Ana Kasparian and Cenk Uygur are youtube progressives/leftists/whatever, they always seemed to have some lovely opinions on certain things though so good, gently caress em.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
My Threads feed seems to just be people I follow. No random influencer poo poo or whatever. Am I just lucky for some reason?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

AKA Pseudonym posted:

My Threads feed seems to just be people I follow. No random influencer poo poo or whatever. Am I just lucky for some reason?

Refresh it a couple of times, or maybe you are lucky.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

oh my god it's even funnier than my half-remembered earnings. This is just a wonderful crown on this whole disaster. And yeah I'm amazed people don't make more fun of this incredible fuckup

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A reminder for anyone not aware; VRChat has had working IK-driven legs, and full-body tracking options, for years. And Meta's announcement even name-dropped VRChat in their big showcase recently, right before being all, "Wow, did you know legs ADD to immersion?? We're gonna be the FIRST platform to have legs on avatars!!"

And then used a pre-rendered demo of their avatars with legs.
lol Unity had an opensource free VR plugin that had this (I think it's even what VR Chat uses). Super easy to setup and use too, took maybe five minutes without knowing what to do first. I played with it for a bit, just because it was fun. Just breathtaking incompetence, it's delightful

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Stoca Zola posted:

Quickly looked at Threads, my Insta account was not the same as my Facebook account since I set it up before they merged and then never really used it, but Threads still forces my full real name into my Threads profile even though Instagram never had my full real name originally. Meta automatically propagated it from Facebook I guess? I eventually found where to change it, it’s not under personal details in Instagram, there’s a Name field in the Instagram profile that can be changed every 14 days, and that then propagates to Threads.

wait but this thread assured me that a sex worker was a liar for warning about this exact thing

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

sebmojo posted:

ehh, i mean ... they won? Elong got hosed. i think that's the only actual marketing they need.
If you're in acquisitions and your name isn't Musk you're doing a lot of legwork before tendering a structured deal. If you notice your target is maybe retaining the firm that has been legally caught leaving a deal with their hand in the cookie jar you as the acquiring party will at best have a more punitive deal setting up hoops to protect the cookie jar or at worst just walk away leading to the being acquired party to start to not prefer who is otherwise The firm to get.

Not playing by the rules here is a huge deal for client retention and talent attraction. Their entire brand is small but punchy by hiring the best M&A associates and including them in partner like pay arrangements made possible by representing the spendiest M&A clients. There is a lot to lose by admitting to graft.

There's always pride before a fall so maybe they're gonna get caught grafting but my ANAL gut laugh at Elon expectation is they're gonna find the contract is sewn up and the judge is going to have a laugh about doing due diligence about your acquisitions so you don't need to arbitrate a party trying to weasel out mid acquisition when they are going to promise the lawyers a recovery bonus based on your ridiculously overpriced bid.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

:negative: I'm sorry. I'm so sorry but I couldn't exist alone with this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steadiman posted:

oh my god it's even funnier than my half-remembered earnings. This is just a wonderful crown on this whole disaster. And yeah I'm amazed people don't make more fun of this incredible fuckup

lol Unity had an opensource free VR plugin that had this (I think it's even what VR Chat uses). Super easy to setup and use too, took maybe five minutes without knowing what to do first. I played with it for a bit, just because it was fun. Just breathtaking incompetence, it's delightful

I think VFChat actually uses FinalIK for their rigging, it's why it's a whitelisted component for avatar creation.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Destroy the abominable intelligence.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Paracausal posted:

3 days in and the Threads algorithm is serving up luke warm bathwater.

so far it's mostly influences trying to expand their brand

frankly whoever posted about Twitter giving you the illusion of proximity to power was dead right. Elon's radicalization has given power an excuse to step the absolute gently caress away from the platform, and I very much doubt that powerful people will be exposing themselves with such personal-appearance simulacra on a platform again

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Posted Jul 8, 2023 10:01

Polygynous posted:

"everyone who doesn't like elon is probably a pedo"

32k likes

Goons once again seeing into the future.

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1677351005363802112

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 8, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nelson Mandingo posted:

lmao okay

I feel like futurism has gotten cheap, and I'm not sure if that's because I now hold some advanced hard science degrees or if it's the effect that influencer clout culture has had on futurism

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Nelson Mandingo posted:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

zedprime posted:

If you're in acquisitions and your name isn't Musk you're doing a lot of legwork before tendering a structured deal. If you notice your target is maybe retaining the firm that has been legally caught leaving a deal with their hand in the cookie jar you as the acquiring party will at best have a more punitive deal setting up hoops to protect the cookie jar or at worst just walk away leading to the being acquired party to start to not prefer who is otherwise The firm to get.

Not playing by the rules here is a huge deal for client retention and talent attraction. Their entire brand is small but punchy by hiring the best M&A associates and including them in partner like pay arrangements made possible by representing the spendiest M&A clients. There is a lot to lose by admitting to graft.

There's always pride before a fall so maybe they're gonna get caught grafting but my ANAL gut laugh at Elon expectation is they're gonna find the contract is sewn up and the judge is going to have a laugh about doing due diligence about your acquisitions so you don't need to arbitrate a party trying to weasel out mid acquisition when they are going to promise the lawyers a recovery bonus based on your ridiculously overpriced bid.

i mean, maybe, i really have no idea what i'm talking about. but really on the scale of sins i think 'charged a poo poo load of money (?too much? maybe idk) for straight up doing a MK style HUMILIATION on the richest man in the world on behalf of their clients' ranks p low. just shows they got moxie.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Goons once again seeing into the future.

I worked as a skiptracer for a bit (about halfway through the adoption of the Everyone Has A Smartphone era and before it was quite so trivial to learn Everything About Anyone Ever) and a huge slice of the working premise was that people really don't change much.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Elon Musk: Robot loving Martian Demi-god

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

ooooh that's why the myth persists. Because they see themselves as Musk. They like to imagine themselves as him for just a little bit. It's always projection, and in this case, THEY get to pretend they're the Musk, the Trump, the make-believe superhero.

Guys buddies just go on AO3 and write the fanfiction you wish you were living it's normal lots of people do it it's ok I won't tell anyone. Stop trying to make politics your fanfiction. It's ok.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jestery posted:

Lol that Trump successfully called a shot in not returning to twitter

Over breakfast I had the thought that Trump might recognize when other guys are also playing everything by ear but have no idea what the gently caress they're doing

Idk

It also makes perfect sense that Trump wouldn't want to look WEAK BETA MAN NOOOO by swimming in the river twice, so it's probably necessary to keep his rationale as simple as possible

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

this is the basilisk, torturing us all

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

kw0134 posted:

For a firm of Wachtell's size, given that Twitter wouldn't be your only, or possibly even your largest client, that's absolutely an outlier. And definitely not for M&A work that was essentially complete by the time the alleged bonuses were paid. It'd be like having 10 sales people, and somehow one guy in a single quarter made 10% of all your revenue. That's suspicious no matter how you slice it. It might be in fact innocent, but you're not going to wave that away without justification.

Do you have any sources for this? I haven’t been able to find anything to support what % of Wachtell’s workforce worked on the twitter case or any other things to support that it was just 10% of their workforce, also it wasn’t a quarter it was 4 months wasn’t it

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

it would still leave him.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

lol

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

emSparkly posted:

Oh yeah I tried making an instagram account so I could use threads in the first place and I got autobanned upon login for signing up with a pseudonym. I am not letting my real name out on the internet outside of like, linkedin or something where my loving idiot takes won't be tied to my real identity.

I haven't had that issue yet, I made 2 accounts and one is very clearly not a real name. Involving lots of double i's like the wii.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 8, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Potato Salad posted:

I worked as a skiptracer for a bit (about halfway through the adoption of the Everyone Has A Smartphone era and before it was quite so trivial to learn Everything About Anyone Ever) and a huge slice of the working premise was that people really don't change much.

....what is a skiptracer and how often do you have to retire androids who dream of electric sheep.

It sounds like an employment opportunity designed by Philip K. Dick. Very 21st Century.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 8, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They track down people who've skipped out on their debts.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

E:oops

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Hoshi posted:

Do you have any sources for this? I haven’t been able to find anything to support what % of Wachtell’s workforce worked on the twitter case or any other things to support that it was just 10% of their workforce, also it wasn’t a quarter it was 4 months wasn’t it
The percentages are illustrative; Wachtell is Big Law with nearly 300 attorneys and innumerable support staff. Exhibit 3 in the complaint gives an itemized breakdown of the billing in a given period and there's 30 names, of whom at least half are paralegals/assistants (yes, even your loving secretary gets to bill). Given the billing rates, there are probably five partners and the rest are associates. That exhibit is also sketchy as gently caress because there are huge gaps in the billing, like there's blocks of hundreds of thousands of dollars where a partner did something for five hours and billed $8k for the privilege of entering a blank entry on the invoice. Basically, you're not throwing the entire firm at a single client, that's not how that works, so 10% of your revenue from a single client for part of a year is an outlier. Like...what was the rest of your firm doing? Presumably not doing pro bono work for death row inmates. Scaling it up to the rest of the firm, you'd expect reasonable revenues of $800 million for everyone else for the year, and they're not taking your local McDonald's franchisee's requests.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Gorgeous

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The Community Notes feature continues to rack up wins

https://twitter.com/potus/status/1677475709202190344?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Some of y'all post like you're directly involved in these court cases, and I'm not sure you should be fencing on SomethingAwful if that's the case.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Jesus loving christ, this level of wierd Simpery

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

TulliusCicero posted:

Jesus loving christ, this level of wierd Simpery

Haha, just kidding...unless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Musk watched "Ex Machina" and thought "I could make a hotter robot, but she'd love me".