Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I sure do love that Elon bought his favorite theme park and decided he was much happier with it as a total shithole. And now he goes ballistic that people are leaving his theme park for a shittier diet theme park that opened next door. The diet theme park's rides don't work yet but they do have a staff actively sweeping up occasionally, and that alone makes it a hugely attractive option for a big portion of what was once his exclusive clientele.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

This guy's go to insult for anyone is pedophile

He's so bizzare

Can Meta sue him for defamation if he keeps this up? That could be funny

every conservative accusation is a confession

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Dabir posted:

every conservative accusation is a confession

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
3 days in and the Threads algorithm is serving up luke warm bathwater.

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 8, 2023

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

At this point we can be certain Musk is a loving pedo himself. It’s always projection with these types.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, it's not absurd, idk how the merits play out but it was clearly a last 'gently caress Elon lol' from the board. Wachtell earned their money though, that brief was incredible:. https://abovethelaw.com/2022/07/twitter-complaint-demonstrates-that-every-lawyer-everywhere-always-is-smarter-than-elon-musk/

It is absolutely incredible how loving stupid and clownish Musk is, and has been, at every stage of this affair:

quote:

So Twitter gave him a detailed report on how it calculates bots on May 13 (sample of roughly 9,000 accounts). Musk immediately goes on Twitter and says Twitter samples 100 accounts?!?! Then he tweets about Twitter complaining that he seemingly lied about the methodology. And then on June 30…

Indeed, in a June 30 conversation with [Twitter CFO Ned] Segal, Musk acknowledged he had not read the detailed summary of Twitter’s sampling process provided back in May.

Holy hell. What is even going on here? He’s tweeting allegedly wild misrepresentations about the methodology before reading it? This is the moment firms started preparing their pitches for the litigation business.

But as dumb as this motherfucker is, and don't get me wrong, he could dumb for South Africa at the Wold Cup, even dumber are the motherfuckers who still insist he's some kind of superhuman genius.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

eravulgaris posted:

At this point we can be certain Musk is a loving pedo himself. It’s always projection with these types.

I mean, he roleplays as his own kid, it’s pretty obvious.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
The alt he had where he roleplayed as a kid version of himself feels like he was trying to live out some shotacon reincarnation anime crap. Also insert photo of him with Epstein's lady friend and it makes him look, really not good.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

eravulgaris posted:

His brother bough a girlfriend from Epstein.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Wow, you cant view threads on a computer. Genius, what will they think of next

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Oh yeah I tried making an instagram account so I could use threads in the first place and I got autobanned upon login for signing up with a pseudonym. I am not letting my real name out on the internet outside of like, linkedin or something where my loving idiot takes won't be tied to my real identity.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Pontificating rear end posted:

Didn't it take forever until you could see Instagram in a browser, and even longer before you could perform the nigh-impossible task of "upload picture"?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

emSparkly posted:

Oh yeah I tried making an instagram account so I could use threads in the first place and I got autobanned upon login for signing up with a pseudonym. I am not letting my real name out on the internet outside of like, linkedin or something where my loving idiot takes won't be tied to my real identity.

Insta isn't like checking IDs or whatever, I know plenty people using pseudonyms there.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I guess it was too stupid of a name then?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Weedlord BonerHitler was probably taken and there can't be two of them!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Paracausal posted:

3 days in and the Threads algorithm is serving up luke warm bathwater.

Oh, is Belle Delphine on there?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Just install an android emulator on your computer like a civilized person

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

emSparkly posted:

I guess it was too stupid of a name then?

I found like 100+ accounts displaying "Master Chief" as their real name. The bar is pretty low.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

trucutru posted:

TO ACCESS A WEBSITE?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

trucutru posted:

Windows 11 can run Android apps. Natively it only supports installing from the Amazon Appstore (which doesn't have the Threads app), but if you hack it up so you have Google Play instead, the Threads app runs just fine.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Quickly looked at Threads, my Insta account was not the same as my Facebook account since I set it up before they merged and then never really used it, but Threads still forces my full real name into my Threads profile even though Instagram never had my full real name originally. Meta automatically propagated it from Facebook I guess? I eventually found where to change it, it’s not under personal details in Instagram, there’s a Name field in the Instagram profile that can be changed every 14 days, and that then propagates to Threads.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

TO ACCESS A WEBSITE?

No to access an app that was launched a month earlier than originally planned. I think it's pretty obvious that there's gonna be a website closer to the intended launch.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
it is kind of hilarious that Zuck spent years and billions trying to make that vr thing happen, ending up with something that's used by nobody and done better by a free vr chat program, then a lovely little text message app, hastily thrown together by a tiny team almost as a little side project, instantly becomes this huge thing with millions of users overnight. That's gotta bother his programming a little

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steadiman posted:

it is kind of hilarious that Zuck spent years and billions trying to make that vr thing happen, ending up with something that's used by nobody and done better by a free vr chat program, then a lovely little text message app, hastily thrown together by a tiny team almost as a little side project, instantly becomes this huge thing with millions of users overnight. That's gotta bother his programming a little

The ~Metaverse~ was never gonna be A Thing, Zuck just really thought it would be one day and wanted to be first in the door so everyone would use their metaverse. Except literally everything they promise as "coming soon/one day, pinky-swear" was something VRChat had already done. And better. (And I still laugh fondly at the very real possibility it was sunk in realtime by a twitch streamer :allears:).

Threads, by contrast, is something with a clear use case and business model, and a viable potential userbase that's interested in a competitor to a service experiencing a visible downturn in user satisfaction (ie; They know Twitter's making GBS threads the bed and it wouldn't take much to coax at least some of their userbase to jump ship).

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

(And I still laugh fondly at the very real possibility it was sunk in realtime by a twitch streamer :allears:).

What's the story here i could use a laugh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ZeusCannon posted:

What's the story here i could use a laugh

So RTGame did a Twitch stream of Horizon Worlds VR just to show how bad it is, and someone in chat pointed out at the end Meta's stock had nosedived about 20% while the stream was running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdqrFa6pWLA

(It comes up right at the end)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The best part of threads imo are the brands dunking on elan

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Only old people use a computer grandpa.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The ~Metaverse~ was never gonna be A Thing, Zuck just really thought it would be one day and wanted to be first in the door so everyone would use their metaverse. Except literally everything they promise as "coming soon/one day, pinky-swear" was something VRChat had already done. And better. (And I still laugh fondly at the very real possibility it was sunk in realtime by a twitch streamer :allears:).

Threads, by contrast, is something with a clear use case and business model, and a viable potential userbase that's interested in a competitor to a service experiencing a visible downturn in user satisfaction (ie; They know Twitter's making GBS threads the bed and it wouldn't take much to coax at least some of their userbase to jump ship).

Yeah it’s really funny. Every step of the way literally everyone was loudly saying that it was never gonna work and nobody cared but he just committed to it entirely. I think that’s what happens when you start believing every decision you make is great because you once got very lucky. Kinda like someone else we know.

Also my favorite Metaverse anecdote was that after sinking billions into it, it ended up with something between 100 and 200 users (mostly people forced by their job to use it) and made maybe a few thousand bucks. Also the big reveal that they were finally gonna add legs and it turns out they still couldn’t and their big hype video was just a motion captured fake. In fact all their hype videos were absolutely hilarious because they showed just the most godawful way of interacting but had to pretend it was super clever and intuitive with such fake enthusiasm. You can’t write comedy like that

I love techbro fuckup stories like that so much. Things like the Juicero will never not be funny

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Steadiman posted:

Yeah it’s really funny. Every step of the way literally everyone was loudly saying that it was never gonna work and nobody cared but he just committed to it entirely. I think that’s what happens when you start believing every decision you make is great because you once got very lucky. Kinda like someone else we know.

Also my favorite Metaverse anecdote was that after sinking billions into it, it ended up with something between 100 and 200 users (mostly people forced by their job to use it) and made maybe a few thousand bucks. Also the big reveal that they were finally gonna add legs and it turns out they still couldn’t and their big hype video was just a motion captured fake. In fact all their hype videos were absolutely hilarious because they showed just the most godawful way of interacting but had to pretend it was super clever and intuitive with such fake enthusiasm. You can’t write comedy like that

I love techbro fuckup stories like that so much. Things like the Juicero will never not be funny

honestly zuck got off with way less humiliation for that fuckup than he deserved and if elon hadn't come along and stolen the spotlight metaverse would be a lot more prominent on the list of the 2020s biggest business fuckups

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I like to imagine Musk's emotional state these last few days. Is he sleeping? Pacing around, thinking up his next tweet? When he learns Wendy's and Amtrak are dunking on him, will he realize he's lost the plot? Is he calling people, demanding something be fixed?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

redshirt posted:

I like to imagine Musk's emotional state these last few days. Is he sleeping? Pacing around, thinking up his next tweet? When he learns Wendy's and Amtrak are dunking on him, will he realize he's lost the plot? Is he calling people, demanding something be fixed?

Whenever Elon goes quiet it's because he's raging and most likely taking it out on employees so he can feel a sense of control

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Steadiman posted:

Nah man. They earned a few hundred

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.thenation.com/article/culture/metaverse-zuckerberg-pr-hype/

quote:

The Guardian reported that one of the features designed to reward users in Meta’s flagship product Horizon Worlds produced no more than $470 in revenue globally. T

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/esqueer_/status/1677436250268004352?s=46
I'm not owned, corn cob, etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steadiman posted:

A reminder for anyone not aware; VRChat has had working IK-driven legs, and full-body tracking options, for years. And Meta's announcement even name-dropped VRChat in their big showcase recently, right before being all, "Wow, did you know legs ADD to immersion?? We're gonna be the FIRST platform to have legs on avatars!!"

And then used a pre-rendered demo of their avatars with legs.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You made a typo, right? That's supposed to be $470 million right?

*reads article*

lol no loving way

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Steadiman posted:

You will enjoy the Alexa story then. It’s the same story really, “CEO believes in fairy dust that costs his company billions.”

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11/amazon-alexa-is-a-colossal-failure-on-pace-to-lose-10-billion-this-year/amp/

quote:

One internal document described the business model by saying, "We want to make money when people use our devices, not when they buy our devices."

That plan never really materialized, though.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 8, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Musk is the villain in a Scooby doo episode who hired the gang to find out who is trying to scare everyone away from Twitter.

Zuckerberg is the villain in a Scooby doo episode who hired the gang to find out who is trying to scare everyone away from VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

https://youtu.be/_YmDcCpD1gc