Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Disco Pope posted:

An aesthetic that spans the 80s and 90s that I don't see revived much, which is surprising because of its proximity to alternative and goth, is the whole Dave McKean look where an album cover would be a collage of like, a broken picture frame, a dead birds wing, some rusty nails, a seashell and a faded photo or something.

Think Sandman comics or 4AD albums. It's one of those 80s things that had a long tail, perhaps, kind of like how Pixies are an 80s band, but not really.

you’re talking about that ‘mid-to-late IRS era/early-WB era REM’/Cocteau Twins/“arts and crafts” aesthetic.

four years ago I went to an exhibit opening at the Peabody Essex Museum in MA, for a now-closed career retrospective on the work of Olivia Parker, who is arguably one of the key photographers associated with developing that style

https://www.pem.org/exhibitions/order-of-imagination-the-photographs-of-olivia-parker

I feel like it got a mini-revival of sorts in the cottagecore/goblincore/etc scenes of the pandemic era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
What about Clowncore?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

dialhforhero posted:

What about Clowncore?

I dunno, you tell me

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Big Lebowski was released in 1998 and set in 1991. Could the Dude's outfit be considered 90s or was he wearing retro?

Basically wondering if I could wear this to a 90s theme night.

TITTIEKISSER69 has a new favorite as of 14:27 on Jul 8, 2023

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Disco Pope posted:

An aesthetic that spans the 80s and 90s that I don't see revived much, which is surprising because of its proximity to alternative and goth, is the whole Dave McKean look where an album cover would be a collage of like, a broken picture frame, a dead birds wing, some rusty nails, a seashell and a faded photo or something.

Think Sandman comics or 4AD albums. It's one of those 80s things that had a long tail, perhaps, kind of like how Pixies are an 80s band, but not really.

The NIN album Hesitation Marks had a few covers that had a similar aesthetic (especially the bottom right). Obviously similar to The Downward Spiral in style.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The Big Lebowski was released in 1998 and set in 1991. Could the Dude's outfit be considered 90s or was he wearing retro?

the dude is still living in the 70s

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

100%

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Devoid of the Big Lebowski connection, I wouldn't call that outfit 90s. With it, absolutely.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Fors Yard posted:

The NIN album Hesitation Marks had a few covers that had a similar aesthetic (especially the bottom right). Obviously similar to The Downward Spiral in style.

Yeah! 90s NIN absolutely tapped into that, and I was huge into them up until The Fragile and then kind of fell off

Ok Comboomer posted:

you’re talking about that ‘mid-to-late IRS era/early-WB era REM’/Cocteau Twins/“arts and crafts” aesthetic.

four years ago I went to an exhibit opening at the Peabody Essex Museum in MA, for a now-closed career retrospective on the work of Olivia Parker, who is arguably one of the key photographers associated with developing that style

https://www.pem.org/exhibitions/order-of-imagination-the-photographs-of-olivia-parker

I feel like it got a mini-revival of sorts in the cottagecore/goblincore/etc scenes of the pandemic era.

Yes, this is exactly it. I can see what you mean, and I've seen some nautical aesthetics creep back, but not quite in the "dead" way these artists did.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Jul 8, 2023

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Joseph Cornell was active decades earlier:

https://milenaolesinska77.medium.com/mixed-media-art-joseph-cornell-fd2fa1f062e

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Rap Game Goku posted:

Devoid of the Big Lebowski connection, I wouldn't call that outfit 90s. With it, absolutely.

It needs to be accessorized with a rolled up rug then.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Another thread mentioned Carrot Top and that triggered a weirdly vivid memory of a very 90s thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwHBK4wRH_U

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rap Game Goku posted:

Replace the cardigan with a drug rug and it would fit mid 90s just fine

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The outfit abides

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Fors Yard posted:

same guy did both. https://www.nin.wiki/Russell_Mills

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Replace the cardigan with a drug rug and it would fit mid 90s just fine

Or just carry around a carton of milk

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I believe the Dude preferred half and half

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Make sure to have some post dated checks and roaches on you to really tie the outfit together.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Ah, poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHUYWL1eIU

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR0vRuZkxdw

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Jul 9, 2023

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

They still make that sweater and it's $350.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I have a cheap knockoff that was "only" $70

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Splint Chesthair posted:

They still make that sweater and it's $350.
I have one. It is toasty warm. The original was made in the 70s, and then retired. They had to study the movie to get everything right because they no longer had the patterns.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpGzCh1nn7o

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Drug Rug was such a good name for those hoodies. So many boys I went to Jr and high school with. Though I associated them mostly with classic rock kids, which I mean, that tracks.

I still see them once and a while. I always wonder if they still make them or they're vintage.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

twistedmentat posted:

Drug Rug was such a good name for those hoodies. So many boys I went to Jr and high school with. Though I associated them mostly with classic rock kids, which I mean, that tracks.

I still see them once and a while. I always wonder if they still make them or they're vintage.

They still make them, and I still want one

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

They’re still making them, for sure. I recently saw them for sale at the goddamn grocery store. Sadly, there were no blacklight posters of mushrooms and wizards though.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
go getcha one, not too expensive.

https://www.orizabaoriginal.com/products/black-pink-green-drug-rug-manasquan

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think the more PC name is Baja jacket

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Heath posted:

I think the more PC name is Baja jacket

Man, don't pin that poo poo on Baja.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

You go to enough swap meets and farmers markets you'll learn the drug rug never went out of style. My 18 year old niece is wearing my brother's from 30 years ago.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've been wearing them for years and I don't even do drugs

I was on call once at a hospital one night and I showed up in mine with my hair down looking like poo poo (because it's 2 a.m. and I came in the back, who cares) and the night supervisor thought I had snuck in until she saw me clocking in so that was embarrassing to have to be like no I do work here no I am not homeless or high they're just comfy

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

They're still just called Bajas around here (NE TN). I first heard the term drug rug a couple of years ago from someone who had moved here from up north (which some might refer to as a carpetbagger, but that's more 1890's than 1990's, although it still keeps with the theme of the thread).

empty baggie has a new favorite as of 06:01 on Jul 14, 2023

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
I was at Nordstrom yesterday and they were selling a drug rug for 160 bucks

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Aeryk posted:

I was at Nordstrom yesterday and they were selling a drug rug for 160 bucks

High fashion can he most heinous.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Not sure where to post it but I was watching naked gun the other day and they're on a stakeout eating pistachios in the car and it was the red dyed ones and their lips were all red. I remember getting those from a non super walmart too

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not sure where to post it but I was watching naked gun the other day and they're on a stakeout eating pistachios in the car and it was the red dyed ones and their lips were all red. I remember getting those from a non super walmart too

Probably in the 80s thread.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
This one is 1994

https://youtu.be/rubKIb7_lFI

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I had forgotten all about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YVWpgjCgLE

Used to play at the beginning of a lot of VHS tapes my family owned/rented.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Probably in the 80s thread.

I meant more the pistachios than naked gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I had forgotten all about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YVWpgjCgLE

Used to play at the beginning of a lot of VHS tapes my family owned/rented.

Real sneaky of them to slip the Full Moon films in towards the end of the parade.