Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

quiggy posted:

I have played both, wildermyth loving owns, fell seal I wanted to like more than I did

yeah! wildermyth is really a quiet masterpiece. i should pick it back up again at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Kenny Logins posted:

oh, i didn't remember that you got a tower shield. have you played all the spiderweb software games yet for turn-based rpg/strat? or shadowrun dragonfall/hong kong?

ive played exile, exile 2, exile 3, blades of exile, nethergate, avernum, then i skipped to all the newest avernums 1, 2, and 3, geneforge mutagen, avadon, and queens wish

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

dwarf fortress asap

check out rimworld too

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i showed my gf my rimworld colony once, and she told me the colonists look like theyre sad

._.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i showed my gf my rimworld colony once, and she told me the colonists look like theyre sad

._.

i showed ur gf my rimworld colony too

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

oh no blimp issue posted:

the best souls game is sekiro

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

fart simpson posted:

ive played exile, exile 2, exile 3, blades of exile, nethergate, avernum, then i skipped to all the newest avernums 1, 2, and 3, geneforge mutagen, avadon, and queens wish
how is queen's wish? i fell off avadon about halfway through but have been meaning to go back. also been meaning to do geneforge mutagen as a shaper (played the og as agent)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Captain Foo posted:

yeah! wildermyth is really a quiet masterpiece. i should pick it back up again at some point

wildermyth is incredible but i do find the tactics lacking, id love a sequel that iterates on the narrative stuff and replaces the tactics with something better

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kenny Logins posted:

oh, i didn't remember that you got a tower shield. have you played all the spiderweb software games yet for turn-based rpg/strat? or shadowrun dragonfall/hong kong?

yeah no worries. i have a few spiderweb games but i always slide off, maybe i should give one of the newer ones a go. shadowrun is fun too although i find the combat often frustrating, idk why

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kenny Logins posted:

how is queen's wish? i fell off avadon about halfway through but have been meaning to go back. also been meaning to do geneforge mutagen as a shaper (played the og as agent)

queens wish is old mans spiderweb software. it’s still clearly a jeff vogel game but it’s designed to be playable in 20 minute bursts

other than that the big new thing is he added some base building stuff and most of your good gear comes from your base’s craftsmen building stuff for you rather than from loot

overall it’s not as good as your avernums or your geneforges but it’s still a good game and I’ll play the 2nd for sure

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

avadon is his weakest game imo. he tried to make it more of a straightforward hack and slash rpg style game and that’s just not the reason you play spiderweb games. that said it was still a decent game and i played it all the way through but i shant be replaying it or playing the 2nd

i think redbeard used the geneforge tho so there’s a tie in there

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

quiggy posted:

wildermyth is incredible but i do find the tactics lacking, id love a sequel that iterates on the narrative stuff and replaces the tactics with something better

big agree, friend

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

quiggy posted:

yeah no worries. i have a few spiderweb games but i always slide off, maybe i should give one of the newer ones a go. shadowrun is fun too although i find the combat often frustrating, idk why
yeah i can only really enjoy sr with like one of two builds that make combat less of a hassle. the setting/characters for df/hk are fun tho.

i feel like the dev learns a lot from his old games in (re)making, so newer ones are usually worth a shot

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

quiggy posted:

this may be true but I am not gud enough
im sure youre aware of the saying

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

fart simpson posted:

queens wish is old mans spiderweb software. it’s still clearly a jeff vogel game but it’s designed to be playable in 20 minute bursts

other than that the big new thing is he added some base building stuff and most of your good gear comes from your base’s craftsmen building stuff for you rather than from loot

overall it’s not as good as your avernums or your geneforges but it’s still a good game and I’ll play the 2nd for sure
ty, will likely check it out and see

fart simpson posted:

avadon is his weakest game imo. he tried to make it more of a straightforward hack and slash rpg style game and that’s just not the reason you play spiderweb games. that said it was still a decent game and i played it all the way through but i shant be replaying it or playing the 2nd

i think redbeard used the geneforge tho so there’s a tie in there
I respect him for trying new things but yeah some of those are swing and a miss (or partial hit). avadon really felt streamlined for iOS when i tried it

didn't know that about redbeard that's neat

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i just want hbs battletech in a non-crippled engine

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

oh no blimp issue posted:

im sure youre aware of the saying

unfortunately the only version i have is the ps4 version which lags juuuust enough to make parry windows impossible to suss out, at least imo. also im generally bad at parrying in games

Captain Foo posted:

i just want hbs battletech in a non-crippled engine

:yeah:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Kenny Logins posted:

ty, will likely check it out and see

I respect him for trying new things but yeah some of those are swing and a miss (or partial hit). avadon really felt streamlined for iOS when i tried it

didn't know that about redbeard that's neat

im speculating about redbeard. i think there’s hints there but the game doesn’t say that

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

fart simpson posted:

im speculating about redbeard. i think there’s hints there but the game doesn’t say that
fair enough. for qw i really like the idea of base-building yielding best gear rather than hunting for class-specific/optimal loot in specific hidden places

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

quiggy posted:

unfortunately the only version i have is the ps4 version which lags juuuust enough to make parry windows impossible to suss out, at least imo. also im generally bad at parrying in games
that sucks, you should give the pc version a go when/if it goes cheap, it's honestly my favourite of froms soulsy style games

you know about games design right? what's honestly the difference between dodging and parrying? both have a window you have to press a button and if you fail you take damage at the most basic level but failing a parry feels much worse

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Processing Vulkan shaders is the new updating font cache

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got the sekiro plat on ps4 and while the parrying may be more annoying it’s definitely possible to learn it

the real problem is the red icon popup, I would always dodge for that and that’s correct only 1/3 of the time

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Silver Alicorn posted:

Processing Vulkan shaders is the new updating font cache

I turned that poo poo off its faster to just let my cpu compile them in game lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I started playing Stellaris last night at 1:30, got a pretty decent and friendly empire going with five or six colonies and great relations with my neighbours. got up to get another drink and use the toilet and the sun was up and the birds were chirping

debating between playing more tonight or uninstalling so that doesn’t happen again

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I started playing Stellaris last night at 1:30, got a pretty decent and friendly empire going with five or six colonies and great relations with my neighbours. got up to get another drink and use the toilet and the sun was up and the birds were chirping

debating between playing more tonight or uninstalling so that doesn’t happen again

:getin:

i need to play some of the new dlc i havent played it since overlord...? So good though

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

:getin:

i need to play some of the new dlc i havent played it since overlord...? So good though

I hadn’t played since the base game came out, and since unity was on sale I grabbed it and made a race of Venus flytrap guys who love tropical worlds

I was initially shooting for space communism or something like The Culture, but Paradox doesn’t seem to think that’ll exist in space I guess

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

PIZZA.BAT posted:

my girlfriend made the conscious decision to get into video games and asked for a bunch of suggestions from me. i was mostly offering easy, low impact games to get started with because it takes a little bit to get into the groove of how video games even work. so she played about an hour of goose game and then decided she was ready. want to know what she chose? as her first real game to play? despite me telling her it may be a *bit* difficult?

hollow knight

and she hasn’t let the game defeat her either. after about eight hours she finally managed to beat hornet. she laughed and cried simultaneously lol. i think she ‘gets’ video games now

this rules

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

._.

"i'm building a bedroom hive complex for my dwarves"
"that sounds horrible"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
stellaris is the game that feels more like work than anything else ive played, they should pay me to play that thing. And Im mad about it cause i played it for a few minutes and immediately hated it and tried to return it but they said i’d played for 12 hours already which is clearly bullshit.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

._.

no it's fine, i put a joywire and a psychic harmonizer in their brain, so it's ok that they can't move because they're super happy and they make everyone else happy too!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

they have an ur board and a nutrient paste machine, what else do people want????

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

stellaris is the game that feels more like work than anything else ive played, they should pay me to play that thing. And Im mad about it cause i played it for a few minutes and immediately hated it and tried to return it but they said i’d played for 12 hours already which is clearly bullshit.

i haven't played stellaris but rimworld was kinda that way. not full on _job_ but it was more a way to make time blink out of existence than a fun game i enjoyed playing. in the year of progress 2023 the last thing i need is to make hours disappear while only being mildly amused

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was having a blast playing tbh. I usually only lose time when I’m having fun and am invested in it.

I think what makes it easy to lose track of time, though, is that similar to dorfs, there’s no built in pauses like the fps games I normally play have.

“ope I died, might as well grab a drink and pee oh crap it’s 3:30 I should go to bed”

“ok I could use another drink and I really gotta pee so I’ll pause and HOLY poo poo ITS 5a… ok I’ll wrap up what I was doing and head to bed.

ok well poo poo, how is it 6 already?”

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

is this a real game?

e: oops quoted the wrong post

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 8, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

rotor posted:

sometimes you just want to look at a spreadsheet after 8 hours of work OP

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

sometimes you just want to look at a spreadsheet after 8 hours of work OP

just wait until u hear about Eve online, op

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I hadn’t played since the base game came out, and since unity was on sale I grabbed it and made a race of Venus flytrap guys who love tropical worlds

I was initially shooting for space communism or something like The Culture, but Paradox doesn’t seem to think that’ll exist in space I guess

i like playing as rogue servitors and enforing mandatory utopia uupon the galaxy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I was having a blast playing tbh. I usually only lose time when I’m having fun and am invested in it.

word, in that case, hell yeah have fun and i hope it makes some fun stories!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my favorite part of rimworld? its obviously the rimming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what is that man doing to his cryptosleep casket