Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Futanari Damacy posted:

I am secondhand embarrassed just knowing about this! :(

Get with the winning team, mate! We have the best memers, which means we shall win. That's just how warfare is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Real shame the Estonian flag design/color scheme is wasted on the country.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nix Panicus posted:

You say this, but I feel like the coup indicated some deep east/west tensions

That’s the Catholic Orthodox Divide

🇦🇹🇭🇺/🇷🇺

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
just hangin with the fellas in the private jet

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1677679101761519616?s=20

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

January 6 Survivor posted:

like, you can't read it because it's blocked where you are?

as of like a week ago you have to be logged in to twitter to see it, though for some people randomly embeds still seem to work, in general most of these are just dead links now though (I Will Not Log In To Twitter)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1677641178450210818?s=20

quote:

At the same time, the Turkish leader called for a new round of negotiations between Moscow and Kiev after mediating peace talks last year

Details: https://on.rt.com/cf1o

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

big billions vibes from this

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lol whole lotta NAFO goobers who are reading way too much into his statement here.:allears:

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

tazjin posted:

as of like a week ago you have to be logged in to twitter to see it, though for some people randomly embeds still seem to work, in general most of these are just dead links now though (I Will Not Log In To Twitter)

also there was a thing called nitter before that could "proxy" tweets to make them viewable, but twitter killed the APIs it uses

speng31b
May 8, 2010

tazjin posted:

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011
Things seem to be going great for these triple amputees. I wish I could get a girlfriend like them... War is great, and every young man should go fight in one.

quote:

Opinion

Nicholas Kristof
They’re Ready to Fight Again, on Artificial Legs
July 8, 2023

LVIV, Ukraine — The Superhumans Center is full of war amputees learning to walk on artificial limbs or smoking cigarettes clutched in prosthetic fingers.

Yet this philanthropically supported hospital for wounded Ukrainians is not antiseptically depressing, as hospitals often are. Perhaps that’s because of the admiration that Ukrainians feel for these veterans, leading them to carry their stumps with pride — and to plan a return to the front with artificial arms and legs.

“I do not see disabled people,” Oleksandra Kabanova said as she sat waiting for her husband, Oleh Spodin, to complete a physical therapy session. “I see superheroes.”

She eagerly shared the story of how Spodin lost his leg: He volunteered to go out and rescue a wounded comrade. “He’s very sexy without a leg,” she added, beaming.

That’s where I think Vladimir Putin miscalculated when he invaded Ukraine last year: He underappreciated Ukrainian grit and resilience. I suspect some Americans make the same mistake. Month after month, Ukrainians have lost buildings, heat, electricity, lives — yet they are ready to keep sacrificing, and there is a society-wide reverence for those who have given so much.

A recent poll found that 78 percent of Ukrainians had close relatives or friends killed or injured in the fighting. That’s a staggering toll, yet if anything, it has strengthened Ukrainian determination rather than weakened it. On each of my visits to wartime Ukraine, what has struck me the most is not the immense suffering but the even more overwhelming resolve to win.

While the pain and difficulty faced by those struggling to learn to walk again are enormous, the public adulation is a salve.

“This week, a woman tried to embrace me at a bus stop,” said Denys Kryvenko, 24, who lost both legs and an arm in January in fighting near Bakhmut. “People have tried to give me food, give me money, give me hugs.”

Kryvenko told me that even as a triple amputee, he is going to rejoin his unit on the front line.

“My unit is waiting for me,” he insisted. He is discussing two roles: either as an instructor for paramedics — he is proof of the value of tourniquets, three of which saved his life — or as a counselor to coach soldiers struggling in bleak times

Bohdan Petrenko, 21, whom I met when he was practicing walking with his artificial leg, is likewise planning to rejoin his military unit as soon as he fully recovers from the mortar injuries that took his leg and mangled his arms. Petrenko said he would return to the front as a radio man or drone operator.

Petrenko had a crush on a girl in his hometown before the war but had never dared ask her out, and when fighting broke out she evacuated to Poland. On a trip back to Ukraine to visit her parents, she heard he was injured and when passing through Lviv stopped by to visit him in the hospital.

“She never left,” he added. “She’s still here. It’s magical.”

They’re now living together, he said, adding, “Someone can have all his arms and legs and still not be successful in love, but an amputee can win a heart.”

The West should surely do a better job providing Ukraine with the F-16s, tanks and long-range missiles it needs to end this war. But what may matter even more than weaponry is the value of the Ukrainian determination to win — even on prosthetic legs.

The war amputees are stoical about their challenges, for they’ve lost friends and, by that standard, feel fortunate. “After the amputation, I didn’t feel so bad,” mused Yevhen Tiurin, 30, with a grin. “The problems in my leg were now over.”

The nurse treating him, Olha Baranych, was impressed. “Something clicked in my heart,” she recalled. They married and are expecting their first child in August.

Kabanova, the woman who thinks her husband looks sexy without a leg, acknowledges that heroes aren’t always family-friendly. Being alone while Spodin was on the front was “10 months of hell,” she said. When he was injured the first two times, she begged him to come home to her.

Spodin refused. Then on Feb. 15, he called Kabanova and sounded different, weak.

“Are you injured?” she asked.

“My leg is missing,” he said faintly but, trying to maintain his humor, added, “A piece of me will stay behind forever.”

Kabanova becomes teary at the recollection. “People thought that girls would dump guys after their injuries,” she said fiercely. “No way! It doesn’t work that way.”

Spodin’s amputation was imperfect, so he had to undergo another surgery to reshape the stump, and now he’s waiting for the wound to heal so that he can get a prosthetic limb — and then he’ll be back to war.

“Amputation is a temporary difficulty,” Spodin explained. “These are just new conditions in our lives that we must adjust to.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/08/opinion/ukraine-war-amputees.html

Pro patria mori and so on.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

How Darwinian posted:

Things seem to be going great for these triple amputees. I wish I could get a girlfriend like them... War is great, and every young man should go fight in one.

captain pegleg rear end propaganda

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Majorian posted:

Lol whole lotta NAFO goobers who are reading way too much into his statement here.:allears:

Here is a delicious cone of ice cream, let me just give it to you

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i had no idea that being willing to send an entire generation into the meat grinder was a good thing again

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

-_- her parents forgot its kkk not kk

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

currently having family birthday dinner at a restaurant and the weird racist distant uncle is standing up and having the loudest angry rant ever about victoria nuland, maidan and us imperialism :allears:

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

AnimeIsTrash posted:

-_- her parents forgot its kkk not kk

'Killer' Kaja Kallas

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DancingShade posted:

I assume the palace intrique in Ukraine is basically game of thrones but with everyone eating cocaine for breakfast, lunch and dinner while also shooting up with comically large hypodermics full of steroids.

so late season game of thrones then

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

is Zelensky like 5 feet tall

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

here's some neat fascist artwork. even the babies will fight

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
welp, I imagine the grain deal is done after all of the Azov commanders were released back to Ukraine.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Asian Games: officials vote to allow 500 Russian, Belarusian athletes to compete in Hangzhou, but they can’t win medals

In the world of sports. Russian and Belarusian athletes will be allowed to compete in the Asian Games as individuals under neutral flags. While they cannot win medals. This gives them a pathway to qualify for next year's Olympic Games.

This continues the turn of Russian sports federations away from European sports events toward those in Asia.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The Dutch government has fallen. Expect the center right coalition to turn hard right at this rate like every shithole in europe

ok but is this the good kind of hard right that supports the war in ukraine or the bad kind of hard right that doesnt

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

He looks like Artie the Strongest Man in the World

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

:eyepop:
gunter posting thirst traps

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

gunter e-girlinger

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

on my knees as the bombs drop and there's a stupid dog with a bonk sticker on the side :negative:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

January 6 Survivor posted:

like, you can't read it because it's blocked where you are?

She says more than this. Among other things, she says "We would like to wish the Fellas the most based NAFO summit"

(she actually says this, including the "most based NAFO summit" part)

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

NY Times posted:

She eagerly shared the story of how Spodin lost his leg: He volunteered to go out and rescue a wounded comrade. “He’s very sexy without a leg,” she added, beaming.

That’s where I think Vladimir Putin miscalculated when he invaded Ukraine last year: He underappreciated Ukrainian amputee fetishist.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

ok but is this the good kind of hard right that supports the war in ukraine or the bad kind of hard right that doesnt

the leading party in polling is spearheaded by farmers that i think are similar to those polish farmers that hate ukrainian grain imports

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

She says more than this. Among other things, she says "We would like to wish the Fellas the most based NAFO summit"

(she actually says this, including the "most based NAFO summit" part)

Imagine, for a moment, you got to live in a world where you didn't know this part of the story. Think how much better that world would be. Think of what you took from them.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

currently having family birthday dinner at a restaurant and the weird racist distant uncle is standing up and having the loudest angry rant ever about victoria nuland, maidan and us imperialism :allears:

Uncle has been Coach Redpilled.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Thank you Racist Uncle.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

WaryWarren posted:

Uncle has been Coach Redpilled.

more of a broken clock situation i suspect, he's a covid vaccine truther who thinks the government wants to use 5g for mind control purposes

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Futanari Damacy posted:

I am secondhand embarrassed just knowing about this! :(

Fremdschamtruppen

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Man the orcs must be terrified of the triple amputees. You could replace all the limbs with shovels and triple a soldier's killing power.

Also I'm very glad the US finally got rid of it's chemical weapons stockpile on the exact same day as they announced an artillery ammunition package for Ukraine. Even against all odds good things can happen.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh, ok. It's only a handful of guys not the entire azovstal gang.

Still more proof that NATO members will never negotiate in good faith or abide by any treaty or agreement.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

How Darwinian posted:

Username/post combo, Christ alive this is a depressing and twisted piece of propaganda

Also lol

quote:

he is proof of the value of tourniquets

Was there a strong anti-tourniquet movement in the AFU or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Chillgamesh posted:

Was there a strong anti-tourniquet movement in the AFU or something

I dunno about the AFU, but there is/was a common anti-tourniquet take from online medical "experts" who wagered that simply dying from blood loss was a better gamble than maaaaybe losing a limb.