Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Carthag Tuek posted:

in every context. they are all "british", but the protagonist is called "indian" when i would have thought she would be called "asian"
Why? "India" was distinct from "Asia" in Britain by the 1700s at the latest (because they took it over in 1757)

And, y'know, the whole East India Company thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Carthag Tuek posted:

in every context. they are all "british", but the protagonist is called "indian" when i would have thought she would be called "asian"

but she was excellent

There are many, many distinct cultures from South Asia but in the timeframe the piece is set that distinction wasn't made or even considered in general British consciousness - if you weren't white or Caribbean you were probably going to be lumped into 'Indian' or maybe 'Pakistani' depending on what the majority desi culture was in your local town. British-Asian is an even later distinction.

The other characters except the copper are all right wingers so as somebody else pointed out it's probably being used as a polite substitute for the nasty four-letter term those characters would actually have used, even to her face.

Lady Parts is well worth a look. Hoping they do a second season.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

darkwasthenight posted:

There are many, many distinct cultures from South Asia but in the timeframe the piece is set that distinction wasn't made or even considered in general British consciousness - if you weren't white or Caribbean you were probably going to be lumped into 'Indian' or maybe 'Pakistani' depending on what the majority desi culture was in your local town. British-Asian is an even later distinction.

The other characters except the copper are all right wingers so as somebody else pointed out it's probably being used as a polite substitute for the nasty four-letter term those characters would actually have used, even to her face.

Lady Parts is well worth a look. Hoping they do a second season.

The writer of We Are Lady Parts mentioned on twitter a few months ago that she was currently writing S2.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Why didn't the resistance just use scales attached to mines to stop the terminators? They are made of metal and have a lot of flesh covering them. They are all giant beefy dudes in a time when people are barely eating. So if some survivor rolls up flexing his pecs and asking if he can come in, he walks down the path to the door he hits a scale, scale goes "WHOOPS 300+LBS!" and blows up the mines, they run out and shoot the poo poo out of the robot and reset the mines.

The odds you'd take out some poor powerlifting bastard who manages to eat 5k calories a day to be a giant beefy dude during the war by accident have gotta be incredibly tiny.

When/if skynet figures out they are blowing up the heavy ones and starts making like kid sized terminators, set the scales down a bit to like 200lbs and keep going until skynet is sending little infant terminators that you can just shoot on sight because it's obvious the lil baby walking towards the base looking for dada john is a robot.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I forget if this is addressed but there's no way a robot with a piston-driven powered metal skeleton has a similar density to a human.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Baron von Eevl posted:

I forget if this is addressed but there's no way a robot with a piston-driven powered metal skeleton has a similar density to a human.

It's easy enough to believe that skynet has some sort of future metal alloys that they can use to get the weight of them to roughly human weight.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

They aren't measuring ponytails

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jedit posted:

Second, why is she in the book at all when she's living in Ginger's apartment? The phone would be in Ginger's name, not hers.

Did American phone books not have every adult person listed regardless of whether they owned the phone or not?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Did American phone books not have every adult person listed regardless of whether they owned the phone or not?

No. They only listed people with accounts with the phone company. A lot of the time it would be "Bob and Martha Wayne" because it's the home phone so they put both people's names on the account when they set it up but the phone book wasn't just a register of the names and addresses of every adult in town. It used to be an extra monthly charge to be un-listed in the phone book.

Looking back it's kind of insane that a book so goddamn useful for stalking people was just delivered for free to your house twice a year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Quote is not edit

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The phone book was back before social media poisoned the minds and decayed the morals of everyone, back when we were a proper country

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

darkwasthenight posted:

It was kinda wild when I found out that was a slur, I thought it was just the naming convention in Central Asia again.

Kazakhstan - Land of the Kazakhs
Afghanistan - Land of the Afghans
Pakistan - Land of the

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Byzantine posted:

It was kinda wild when I found out that was a slur, I thought it was just the naming convention in Central Asia again.

Pakistan - Land of the

That's exactly what it is. The Kyrgyz/Kirghiz and the Uzbeks are the same. Even within Pakistan itself you have Baluchistan, which is where the Baluchs live. Pakistan is the sole exception in what its people want to be called, and it's specifically because of a bunch of English racists in the 1960s and 1970s.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
For some reason Bostonians use 'packie' to refer to a type of shop, and I wince every time I hear it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Jedit posted:

That's exactly what it is. The Kyrgyz/Kirghiz and the Uzbeks are the same. Even within Pakistan itself you have Baluchistan, which is where the Baluchs live. Pakistan is the sole exception in what its people want to be called, and it's specifically because of a bunch of English racists in the 1960s and 1970s.

Doesn't seem to be true to me?
https://web.archive.org/web/20080616183117/http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_11-2-2004_pg3_6

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pakistan is different because there isn't really a separate ethnic group called Pakistanis in the same way there are Kazaks or Tajiks or Uzbeks and so on and so forth. In the Turkic Stans the titular ethnic group is usually 70-80% of the population.

Punjabis , the largest group in Pakistan, aren't even 40% of the population.

Pakistan is very big and diverse and populous so it's all a bit complicated. If it wasn't for the British deciding the entire subcontinent was basically the same thing a theoretical non-colonized Pakistan would probably be about 8 different countries today.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Jul 8, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Torquemada posted:

For some reason Bostonians use 'packie' to refer to a type of shop, and I wince every time I hear it.

There's some brand that sells gimmicky potato chips called something like Paqi and the 7-Eleven I worked at had tons of kids coming in every day talking about it. I've never even heard the word used as a slur, but I am aware of its uh, hm, potency.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Guardians 3:

Come on, the High Evolutionary has such command over biology that he can grow an enormous scrotum space station and create entire races but he can't fix his face? poo poo, we have plastic surgeons who can do a better job of it than he did.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I can fully assume that once he stapled his face back on, and it fit right, he was like "good enough, back to making more weird hybrids".

That dude had a hosed up hobby.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Pakistan - Land of the
It's a forced acronym by Chowdhry Rehmat Ali
Punjab, 
Afghania, 
Kashmir,
Iran, 
Sindh (including Kachch and Kathiawar), 
Tukharistan,
Afghanistan
BaluchistaN.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Ali suggested it to mean "land of the Paks" (note lack of I) but that was a backronym for a few regions combined with a Pashtan/Persian word for 'pure'. It wasn't the name of an existing group like the others are.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Torquemada posted:

It's short for "package store" which is it's own dumb story but it definitely has innocent origins, slur-wise

But it's a bit like that professor using "niggardly" in a speech, where ok, the etymology is completely different but you should really know better if you're so smart and just pick a different word

But I honestly think most Americans have no idea about the P word

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I honestly think I learned about it from these forums.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Goons do love to talk about slurs

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

oldpainless posted:

Goons do love to talk about slurs

We can't hold a candle to the wikipedia freaks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

That is certainly, uh, extensive.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

8one6 posted:

Looking back it's kind of insane that a book so goddamn useful for stalking people was just delivered for free to your house twice a year.

I always had an unlisted number growing up in the eighties because my mom had been stalked and harassed before I was born. So yeah, it always seemed insane to me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Watching this dumb Adam Driver movie on Netflix, 65, and my IIMM: when are we going to have feathered dinosaurs, goddammit

Also it's one of those movies where every gadget makes so much fuckin noise. Right after a scene about HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO NOT MAKE A SOUND he takes out his little chittering beeping doodad and scans the horizon. The little gadget goes brrrrrrrrr dededededede chpchpchpchpchp but why?? Why does movie gadgets always have to be making all these awful chirping sounds? Can you imagine how awful it would be if any time you looked at your Google Maps on your phone it would just be drdrdrrdrrdrrdrdring the whole time? Argh

credburn has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Jul 9, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Torquemada posted:

British racists also use the term for a type of shop, because a lot of small convenience stores here were run by families who immigrated from India or Pakistan (and they didn't bother to come up with a specific slur for shops run by Indians). I don't know if it's still in use now but it was definitely still being used into the 90s.

In fact that reminds me there's an excellent radio sitcom about one such shop with the name "Fags, Mags and Bags" which I imagine would not survive a transfer to the US market.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Fil5000 posted:

British racists also use the term for a type of shop

I'm British, hence the wincing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Torquemada posted:

I'm British, hence the wincing.

Oh, I see! Well, at least I provided wincing context for non brits I guess?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

credburn posted:

Watching this dumb Adam Driver movie on Netflix, 65, and my IIMM: when are we going to have feathered dinosaurs, goddammit

Also it's one of those movies where every gadget makes so much fuckin noise. Right after a scene about HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO NOT MAKE A SOUND he takes out his little chittering beeping doodad and scans the horizon. The little gadget goes brrrrrrrrr dededededede chpchpchpchpchp but why?? Why does movie gadgets always have to be making all these awful chirping sounds? Can you imagine how awful it would be if any time you looked at your Google Maps on your phone it would just be drdrdrrdrrdrrdrdring the whole time? Argh

Film is a visual medium, but sound supports the experience. Just imagine if his gadgets didn't make those sounds, it would be even goofier to watch him waving those things around in complete silence. The beeboobeeboodrrrrrrzd emphasises that Stuff Happens.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

credburn posted:

It'd makes sense if they didn't have screen technology advanced or the ability to have a small in ear speaker. But if you still need to memorize the noise codes for a device then you shouldn't have space ships.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Grendels Dad posted:

Film is a visual medium, but sound supports the experience. Just imagine if his gadgets didn't make those sounds, it would be even goofier to watch him waving those things around in complete silence. The beeboobeeboodrrrrrrzd emphasises that Stuff Happens.

All that beeping could should be replaced with a contemplative, "Hmmm..."

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

nesamdoom posted:

It'd makes sense if they didn't have screen technology advanced or the ability to have a small in ear speaker. But if you still need to memorize the noise codes for a device then you shouldn't have space ships.

*sad astromech noises*

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
watching a dumb vampire movie and im kinda annoyied that writers dont know how twilight works?

like there's a poo poo ton of ambient light(and therefore UV?) well before/after the sun sets or rises below your local horizon , or the platonic horizon. a none vampire example is the 2nd Mummy movie with sun hitting the pyramid diamond top. like yeah yeah magic, but you would think that people having lived through thousands of sunsets would intuit how "day"light works.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I thought the use of sunscreen in Blade was pretty clever, then I was reminded that there's a whole other scene in the movie that runs the idea into the ground. Still a great movie though

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

credburn posted:

Can you imagine how awful it would be if any time you looked at your Google Maps on your phone it would just be drdrdrrdrrdrrdrdring the whole time? Argh

Your phone actually have lot of noises that doesn't have to be there. The camera for example, it doesn't have to make a noise, but people expect cameras to make a little sound when you take a picture so they added it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Your phone actually have lot of noises that doesn't have to be there. The camera for example, it doesn't have to make a noise, but people expect cameras to make a little sound when you take a picture so they added it.
And in Japan it's impossible to mute this sound for reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FFT posted:

And in Japan it's impossible to mute this sound for reasons.

Probably the same reason it's on by default in the rest of the world.