Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

As somebody who has played the MCC but is otherwise fairly unplugged from the Haloverse, what is that creature in the photo? I saw that it was the primary photo of their news update, but then the updated ended up being like twenty pages long and I must have missed it if it was called out in the update somewhere.
It's called out in the update as a creature cut during Halo 1's development.

quote:

SHARQUOI: Hulking bruisers from an ancient battlefield, these monstrosities deliver a faceful of feeling to anyone within their path. Be sure to move as fast as you shoot to avoid being trampled!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

As somebody who has played the MCC but is otherwise fairly unplugged from the Haloverse, what is that creature in the photo? I saw that it was the primary photo of their news update, but then the updated ended up being like twenty pages long and I must have missed it if it was called out in the update somewhere.

that's my mom, rear end in a top hat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Speaking of UT, I had downloaded and played the one they had for free in the epic store, the more "modern" one they never finished. It played for poo poo on my comp so I kinda said hell with it and logged off epic games never to return since I remembered I totally hate gta5. But I remembered I had it a day or so ago since I've been playing Quake Champions and logged on to see how it ran with my new hardware and oops, totally forgot Epic murdered the series dead for ???

Oh well, QC isn't bad. The few matches I played in UT(new) that ran fine were kinda fun but it's not like I needed it or anything

e: oh yeah, the reason I posted about this. Now it's taking up 19 gigs of space and refuses to uninstall. lmao

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

The Kins posted:

So a lot like the Hulks they probably should have cut from Marathon as well.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Kins posted:

Bungie I think were contemplating bringing them back in a later game but never got around to it cause I remember a booklet that came with either 2 or 3 specifically brought them up in a way that heavily implied that they would show up

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Gary Jules' Mad World plays softly, diegetically, in the background.

lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

drrockso20 posted:

Bungie I think were contemplating bringing them back in a later game but never got around to it cause I remember a booklet that came with either 2 or 3 specifically brought them up in a way that heavily implied that they would show up

They were cut again from 2, as “Drinol beast”

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A powerlifter with skin like a hot dog grunts and screams down a hypergothic hallway. He wields a sword that also has a chainsaw on it, and Gary Jules' Mad World plays softly, diegetically, in the background.

i remember the mad world trailer played on tv at a time when it was pretty rare to see ads for games in such an expensive format, and people went nuts over it

all i remember is the character walking mournfully down a wartorn street, then he goes into a house where I guess its just a facade over a massive cave cause theres like a monster surprise party in there for him with a godzilla sized thingy that he starts shooting at. still portrayed very tragically. the true horror of war...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Doom 16 or Eternal considered better?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Eternal is better but I’d play 2016 first. If you play eternal first you’ll be annoyed at how slow 2016 is by comparison

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Doom 16 or Eternal considered better?

Doom 2016 is great but as QoP, it's harder to come back after playing Eternal because it's much faster paced and has more going on. More going on, perhaps too much is a common complain about Eternal that goes from "fast paced fps" to "Devil May Cry fps turned up to 11". I beat Doom 2016 on PC, PS4 and Xbox Series and only beat Doom Eternal (plus DLCs) once on PC because I end exhausted and I doubt I'll ever come back. "Is Doom Eternal better? Yes, but..."

Play them in order and report back, they're well worth playing both (in order if possible).

Edit: Oh and maybe one of the funniest complains about Doom 2016 is that it has like two unskippable short cutscenes but besides that, the plot can be ignored completely. Doom Eternal goes nuts on a dumb plot and lots of cutscenes doubling down on creating a "Doom universe". Imo that was for the worse but hey, matter of taste.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 8, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
doom 2016

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

site posted:

doom 2016

:hai:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

site posted:

doom 2016

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

site posted:

doom 2016

Don't you mean Do4m?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Eternal is better, not even close.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm one of those rare people that didn't care for the nuDOOMs but I dislike what Eternal was doing more.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Eternal on Ultraviolence is past the sweet spot for a lot of people, don’t do what we did and choose it for your first run

And yeah the integration of a complex plot and backstory and ~memes~ was eyerollingly dumb

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wow that got a lot of responses fast

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Eternal is exhausting but my favorite

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

2016 on Ultra Violence but Eternal on HMP for first time runs.

Eventually when you get all the upgrades and the loop just clicks, Eternal is the better game but it's also exhausting.

I still haven't touched the DLC because the main game was so draining.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
2016 and Eternal are practically separate sub-genres. 2016 is a modern AAA quasi-take on boomer shooters and is excellent in its own right. Eternal is in this budding subgenre of first-person character action games currently occupied by it, Ultrakill, and like Severed Steel I guess. It is also excellent, but don't go into it expecting more 2016.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
People who prefer 2016 are just lazy. Lazy gamers.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

People who prefer 2016 are just lazy. Lazy gamers.

The "git gud" meme got old already. Doom Eternal is good but has a lot of flaws and is different enough from 2016 to make people like one more than another and both be right.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

sounds like someone is a lazy gamer

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Eternal is unequivocally the better game to me but you will be drained. It is a fully engaging combat experience.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm one of those rare people that didn't care for the nuDOOMs but I dislike what Eternal was doing more.

:same:

Do4m is at least a bit more restrained, Eternal was just immediately exhausting.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I will never play Eternal since it's like a 90GB download.

2016 is OK.

Fishgun is awesome!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Not a lot of people know this but there was actually a version of Doom 2016 made in 1993. Its a solid little game, people in this thread might enjoy it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Eternal's biggest mistake was having a grenade cycle button instead of just separate buttons for each grenade.

Boltgun wears its Eternal influence on its sleeve and this is the worst part that they took from it.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

1stGear posted:

Not a lot of people know this but there was actually a version of Doom 2016 made in 1993. Its a solid little game, people in this thread might enjoy it.

Lol ok boomer, read the title, this thread is not for discussing games from the stone age

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I will never play Eternal since it's like a 90GB download.

drat it’s 2023, you got a 120gb HDD or sumn

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Eternal is worse because it gives you considerably less freedom in how you want to play it and approach encounters, has extremely frustrating design (a final boss that heals every time he hits you, causing the fight to take far, far longer than could ever be fun) sometimes even purposefully meant to be frustrating to the player, and the story was bad to a stunning degree after the pitch perfect writing in 2016 so much so that it feels like it was made by a completely different team of people. There's also these really terrible platforming segments that don't really serve any purpose other than to drag things out a bit and kill the pacing.

I've never in my life been more disappointed in a game than I was in Eternal, honestly. The dash was a good addition, though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Eternal is worse because it gives you considerably less freedom in how you want to play it and approach encounters, has extremely frustrating design (a final boss that heals every time he hits you, causing the fight to take far, far longer than could ever be fun) sometimes even purposefully meant to be frustrating to the player, and the story was bad to a stunning degree after the pitch perfect writing in 2016 so much so that it feels like it was made by a completely different team of people. There's also these really terrible platforming segments that don't really serve any purpose other than to drag things out a bit and kill the pacing.

I've never in my life been more disappointed in a game than I was in Eternal, honestly. The dash was a good addition, though.

Skill issue.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love it, it’s fast and fun

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mordja posted:

Skill issue.

basically this

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Doom 2016 is the better, more consistent game for me, but Eternal’s combat loop is as exhausting as it is compulsively enjoyable. I really thought it might win me over more, but between the Mick Gordon drama and DLC #2 turning the hamburger made out of 2016’s storyline and transmuting it into Stupid Warhammer 40K, But Only Khorne, I lost my taste for it.

And yeah, gently caress DLC #2’s last boss. Just the most dreary kind of pattern recognition and exacting execution.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I love it, it’s fast and fun

err....

Lots of things can be said about it, but Doomguy is slow as gently caress in Doom Eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Mordja posted:

Skill issue.
:jerkbag:

Don't like Eternal. Regardless of difficulty, it's too exhausting and eventually I get bored from the endless combat and go. Same reason I uninstalled Boltgun after beating that. Some people are into that, others aren't.

Is the game bad? Nah, it's very competent, looks great, and runs on almost anything because it scales so well. Fun to play? Well the last page shows you that there's no middle ground. You either swear upon it when taking an oath or toss it in the bin after you finish the campaign once.