Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I stuck a mailbox on the place I'm moving to yesterday

apparently you're not allowed to stick a mailbox on your house like that in most areas in the US now because mail carriers don't get around on foot anymore.

i lived in rhode island for like three months but i thought i was gonna be there way longer. streetview doesn't do it justice but i painted mine baby blue with a white fleur-de-lis. it was very pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

love that old stickwork

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

People here are actively ruining 1890s era townhomes by trying to jam all the HGTV poo poo into them instead of just adapting to the floorplans.

The one real estate person I know claims there's a really weird split happening where regular buyers (who want a place to live) will routinely dip out on great deals because of some tiny little outdated imperfection, while all the assholes buying to flip or rent will just throw down huge bids on literally anything.

I don't know how true that is generally, but it's gotta be another feedback loop that's driving up prices if it's actually the case. If typical buyers are going around rejecting perfectly fine homes because of slightly worn hardwood floors or poor layouts, then there's a huge loving incentive for flippers to come in and do these dirt-cheap, surface-level remodels.

Apr 7, 2003

I saw exactly that happen with the house I eventually ended up buying. A couple came in before us, saw that it had baseboard hot water heat, and walked out with less than four minutes viewing the house.

(It has a separate forced air cooling system that they'd have seen had they stuck around.)

Another house I looked it was an 1890s rowhouse that had the walk-in closet and double vanity bathroom retrofitted in. The gutters were completely hosed and actively destroying the brickwork but it went contingent within a week.

e:

Gotta turn sideways to get to the shitter and you have to go through a bedroom to get to the back deck but by god, I got my HGTV touches in.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Jul 7, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lmao "house of the month"

Apr 7, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

mad?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
no I got my plaque for house of the decade years ago you nerd.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my standard for a house is “habitable”.

Apr 7, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

no I got my plaque for house of the decade years ago you nerd.

I didn't put the plaque there, stay jealous though

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

The one real estate person I know claims there's a really weird split happening where regular buyers (who want a place to live) will routinely dip out on great deals because of some tiny little outdated imperfection, while all the assholes buying to flip or rent will just throw down huge bids on literally anything.

I don't know how true that is generally, but it's gotta be another feedback loop that's driving up prices if it's actually the case. If typical buyers are going around rejecting perfectly fine homes because of slightly worn hardwood floors or poor layouts, then there's a huge loving incentive for flippers to come in and do these dirt-cheap, surface-level remodels.

Makes me wonder if buyers are all watching House Hunters and are so impressionable they assume they need to turn down a house over something minuscule like the walls in the sitting room not being their favorite shade of blue or a tree across the street looking funny.

It’s just boomers watching garbage daytime TV and taking whatever it says for granted all the way down.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

boomers dance to the strings of the cable puppet masters

Apr 7, 2003

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Makes me wonder if buyers are all watching House Hunters and are so impressionable they assume they need to turn down a house over something minuscule like the walls in the sitting room not being their favorite shade of blue or a tree across the street looking funny.

It’s just boomers watching garbage daytime TV and taking whatever it says for granted all the way down.

100%, and the entire purpose of House Hunters is product placement.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
why are all those house shows Canadians 80% of the time? is it because canadas real estate market has been hosed longer?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the people who started them are Canadian

Apr 7, 2003

There was a couple here that was on House Hunters and they did an expose in local media, everything right down to the budgets and what the couple does for a living is fake.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

love it or list it and property bros are all Canadian

Apr 7, 2003

nobody lives in Canada

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

a lot of the house flipping shows in the states are based in Texas and Missouri for some reason.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

a lot of the house flipping shows in the states are based in Texas and Missouri for some reason.

chip and joanna gaines have made the waco area worse in a way that's worse than before, somehow

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/441-Houghton-Ave-Marlin-TX-76661/127191765_zpid/

drat someone could do a lot with this if they don't mind a burning cross every once in awhile

the pink and green marble in the fireplace is super unique

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

all I see is $$$$$$$$$$$$ upkeep

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe something more move-in ready

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

i say swears online posted:

maybe something more move-in ready

that's what that house will look like in 6 months when it's relisted for $1.5 million

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Portland prices may actually be going... Down?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1108-NE-Davis-St-Portland-OR-97232/53853891_zpid/

$539,000, 1000 sq ft. Buy it before it gets HGTV'd!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Failson posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1108-NE-Davis-St-Portland-OR-97232/53853891_zpid/

Lmao yes I want to pay half a million for a home right across the street from the industrial bread bakery

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Failson posted:

Craving lemon loaf now, thanks a lot

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Lmao yes I want to pay half a million for a home right across the street from the industrial bread bakery

I think bakeries will cause that whisky fungus sometimes.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I think bakeries will cause that whisky fungus sometimes.

Lol yeah

It’s actually a really interesting listing because on paper that house is in an absolutely phenomenal location but also if you actually know Portland you know that whole area shifts from cute old houses/bars/restaurants to light industrial/bread factories/car dealerships/meat wholesalers like a couple blocks south and a couple blocks east. Very good practical demonstration of why looking at comps doesn’t always work

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

meanolmrcloud posted:

in my metro area, everything outside the ring of 1960ish sprawl is this. the wealthy have fled to them, and it’s a fuckin trip pulling up to a whole gigantic field of nearly identical McMansions, with the new concrete and not a tree in sight. it feels like a movie set.

feels more like the inside of a golden retrievers ear who lives in the country; full of fat swollen disgusting ticks

just big old clumps of ticks all bunched together on the landscape with no trees

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How you can tell that a country can only build single family detached homes on individually owned lots:

https://twitter.com/scottdaviscre/status/1677405522998206464

To be clear, I think this is a good thing broadly. You can go buy one of these! They exist! It even has a warranty! It is a house that you can live in for $130k, and you own the land that it's on, this is not a "tiny house illegally parked" situation.

https://twitter.com/scottdavisCRE/status/1677421173657796608

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Twerk from Home posted:

How you can tell that a country can only build single family detached homes on individually owned lots:

https://twitter.com/scottdaviscre/status/1677405522998206464

To be clear, I think this is a good thing broadly. You can go buy one of these! They exist! It even has a warranty! It is a house that you can live in for $130k, and you own the land that it's on, this is not a "tiny house illegally parked" situation.

https://twitter.com/scottdavisCRE/status/1677421173657796608

I can't wait to see a return of these houses to this thread in a couple of years when they're all $300-400k

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/fst_nml/status/1677521374041063425

https://twitter.com/fst_nml/status/1677521933062086656

https://twitter.com/scottdavisCRE/status/1677522508902268928

https://twitter.com/fst_nml/status/1677713807412436997

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
oh yeah the cold texts I get from home flippers are getting weirder and weirder. I'm too hungover to screenshot the text I got so I'll type it out:

"Hi spacemang,

I recently came, came, just came across (my home address which isn't for sale) Any interest in a sale? Let's set up a walkthrough soon. Available this week?"

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

spacemang_spliff posted:

oh yeah the cold texts I get from home flippers are getting weirder and weirder. I'm too hungover to screenshot the text I got so I'll type it out:

"Hi spacemang,

I recently came, came, just came across (my home address which isn't for sale) Any interest in a sale? Let's set up a walkthrough soon. Available this week?"

Why does this work anyways? Like if I were going to hypothetically sell to an obvious flipper couldn't I just do the cheap reno myself and pocket the higher sale price? Someone coming to you to buy your house like this is basically out in the open saying that they want to turn around and sell it for more than they will offer you. It'd be like having your own business and then hiring a boss to skim profits from you.

We get these texts all the time cause our neighborhood is hot but even if we were ever thinking of selling instead of just living here till we die on our cheap af mortgage I know we'd get way more from putting it on the market than just accepting a random person coming by hoping for an easy profit.

PoundSand has issued a correction as of 17:47 on Jul 8, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PoundSand posted:

Why does this work anyways? Like if I were going to hypothetically sell to an obvious flipper couldn't I just do the cheap reno myself and pocket the higher sale price? Someone coming to you to buy your house like this is basically out in the open saying that they want to turn around and sell it for more than they will offer you. It'd be like having your own business and then hiring a boss to skim profits from you.

We get these texts all the time cause our neighborhood is hot but even if we were ever thinking of selling instead of just living here till we die on our cheap af mortgage I know we'd get way more from putting it on the market than just accepting a random person coming by hoping for an easy profit.

people are really lazy though

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

PoundSand posted:

yeah I've been tempted to reply back with some asinine offer, like 2 or 3 times what it's worth but I don't because I assume that will be taken as an invitation to continue contacting me. if I were to sell this house (i'm not) I'd just do all the renos and upgrades myself like the last people who owned it did

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

PoundSand posted:

I think it's to catch people who are desperate and/or in a tight spot.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I think it's to catch people who are desperate and/or in a tight spot.

it’s this

I take it as an opportunity to use my saved 8==========D~~~~(): ascii dick sucking animations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Propublica did an expose a few months ago about how companies like we buy ugly houses are built entirely around finding and taking advantage of the desperate, right down to trolling funeral notices and going after the newly widowed.