Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Hrist posted:

I forget which magazine it was exactly. But I remember one I had saying that if you beat one of the Metroid games fast enough you could see Samus nude. And I think they might have had a pic of the bikini version. So to this day I don't know if that was supposed to be the "nude" ending. Or if they were like, "If you think this is hot, just you wait, buddy!" I really want to go back and see what time they claimed it took.

Similar to the 'naked Lara Croft cheat' hoax that was in almost every magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I think there was a lot of gaslighting from the letters section and what the editors of the different magazines would choose to publish. I remember there being a letter to the effect of "I know this cheat is real, I used it on the display at blockbuster" and the editor would reply "We cannot confirm nor deny" and even back then I thought something was fishy

Also lol and lmao that I was subscribed to Tips & Tricks at one point in my life. So little actual content, but the cheats for different games was at least entertaining to look through and get an idea if the developer had a sense of humour or not

EGM had pranks that always had people write in confirming it worked for them at home, and they could have been ghost written by the editors themselves but I believe enough people wrote in to confirm just to get on the page or were delusional that it likely wasn't necessary

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

If I remember correctly, EGM used to do April Fools type jokes sometimes. Maybe just once, maybe just in April, maybe every year, maybe even more often. It could have even been all the time, my memory of it is almost as sketchy as the stories they were publishing.

It was basically their excuse to make up whatever bullshit they wanted, then in next months issue go "haha, that sure was a funny joke" which might have even been a cover for getting called out on whatever crap they made up.

I certainly remember some friends "confirming" some of those stories that they totally got to work at home or the arcade because they were so good at video games only to have the next month's issue say it was a hoax, lol.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Twenty Four posted:

If I remember correctly, EGM used to do April Fools type jokes sometimes. Maybe just once, maybe just in April, maybe every year, maybe even more often. It could have even been all the time, my memory of it is almost as sketchy as the stories they were publishing.

Speaking of, their greatest trick reached its greatest fruition last month.

Sheng Long is in Street Fighter 6... as basically the bonus superboss of World Tour.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 7, 2023

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Twenty Four posted:

It was basically their excuse to make up whatever bullshit they wanted, then in next months issue go "haha, that sure was a funny joke" which might have even been a cover for getting called out on whatever crap they made up.

I certainly remember some friends "confirming" some of those stories that they totally got to work at home or the arcade because they were so good at video games only to have the next month's issue say it was a hoax, lol.

they would do april fools jokes every year. off the top of my head I remember the sheng long thing, sonic & tails being unlockable in smash bros melee, dead or alive: xtreme beach volleyball nude code, and wind waker getting a twilight princess style makeover. I was also convinced for a while that 50 cent: blood in the sand was the april fool's prank for the issue it was previewed in

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

forest spirit posted:

I think there was a lot of gaslighting from the letters section and what the editors of the different magazines would choose to publish. I remember there being a letter to the effect of "I know this cheat is real, I used it on the display at blockbuster" and the editor would reply "We cannot confirm nor deny" and even back then I thought something was fishy

Also lol and lmao that I was subscribed to Tips & Tricks at one point in my life. So little actual content, but the cheats for different games was at least entertaining to look through and get an idea if the developer had a sense of humour or not

EGM had pranks that always had people write in confirming it worked for them at home, and they could have been ghost written by the editors themselves but I believe enough people wrote in to confirm just to get on the page or were delusional that it likely wasn't necessary

My dad and I used to go scope out those magazines in bookstores and memorize the codes (many of which involved playing certain sounds in a certain order) instead of just paying the $5 to take it home haha

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

My dad and I used to go scope out those magazines in bookstores and memorize the codes (many of which involved playing certain sounds in a certain order) instead of just paying the $5 to take it home haha

lmao that rules

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

wizard2 posted:

lmao that rules

One time I loudly announced to another customer exactly what we were doing because I was proud of how genius we were and 7 and dumb.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

romanowski posted:

they would do april fools jokes every year. off the top of my head I remember the sheng long thing, sonic & tails being unlockable in smash bros melee, dead or alive: xtreme beach volleyball nude code, and wind waker getting a twilight princess style makeover. I was also convinced for a while that 50 cent: blood in the sand was the april fool's prank for the issue it was previewed in

I had friends absolutely convinced that the Wind Waker remake was real even it was insane

https://twitter.com/GifZelda/status/1438850254611390469?t=7VDJ1GGdSAtSRuwTUwMhWg&s=19

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Len posted:

I had friends absolutely convinced that the Wind Waker remake was real even it was insane

https://twitter.com/GifZelda/status/1438850254611390469?t=7VDJ1GGdSAtSRuwTUwMhWg&s=19

I legit want this. Not even with Twilight Princess graphics, just Wind Waker (/Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks) released on the switch.

C'mon Nintendo. If you can release an updated Mario RPG, you can release the cel-shaded Zeldas :negative:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gorilla Radio posted:

I legit want this. Not even with Twilight Princess graphics, just Wind Waker (/Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks) released on the switch.

C'mon Nintendo. If you can release an updated Mario RPG, you can release the cel-shaded Zeldas :negative:

I expect the Wii U ports to come over once we’re a little further from the new game.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid I had a series of 3 books titled "How to win at Nintendo Games" that were full of walkthroughs (of dubious quality) for a lot of the most popular games at the time. One of them straight up just said the final boss of Metal Gear was impossible to kill and that you should just give up.

Years later, when pokemon was brand new, I remember flipping through an unofficial "How to be a Pokemon Master" book in a grocery store that had "tips from REAL LIFE POKEMON MASTERS!" It was predictably largely useless, and the 'tips' were from literal children who had insightful things to say like "Charizard is the best starter because he's a dragon and dragons are cool" and "my favorite pokemon level is 16 because that's when a lot of pokemon evolve" :allears:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

dolphinbomb posted:

When I was a kid I had a series of 3 books titled "How to win at Nintendo Games" that were full of walkthroughs (of dubious quality) for a lot of the most popular games at the time. One of them straight up just said the final boss of Metal Gear was impossible to kill and that you should just give up.

I had these two, and used them for a leg up on any rental that didn't get Nintendo Power coverage. It was super wild in 2016 when the author went on Hannity claiming he was the secret fixer for all the Clinton scandals and that he was done covering up what a sex freak Hillary was.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I remember the Akuma in Resident Evil 2 prank and the screenshots were pretty good for 1998. Looked real to me.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Tips n Tricks whipped rear end. Other magazines claimed they were made by and for gamers but nobody else was out there doing monthly Armored Core mashups years past the series’ relevance. Nobody else was doing Shining Force III character guides or coming up with decent V-ism combos for every fighter in Alpha 3, but by god the mad lads at TnT served it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I read and reread their 100th issue constantly and even recently bought a copy to digitize since it wasn't online...only for someone to go and digitize it while I was figuring out how to do that. I thought the Top Secret Tricks feature in that magazine was incredible especially when it talked about things like NARPAS SWORD or the nude code in that one arcade game.

Also it introduced me to Ikaruga and made it seem like the coolest game ever and they were right.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

wanna say the manual has a page with a pic of zubat and a header titled RARE POKEMON

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

romanowski posted:

I was also convinced for a while that 50 cent: blood in the sand was the april fool's prank for the issue it was previewed in

I'm like 90% sure this happened to me as a child with an April issue of GamePro and Kingdom Hearts

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Kotaku has run a story suggesting that myhouse.pk3 is actually a take on veddge's divorce, supported by an ex-wife's posts on tiktok: https://kotaku.com/doom-2-free-mods-myhouse-download-gzdoom-goty-1850616515

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Codependent Poster posted:

I remember the Akuma in Resident Evil 2 prank and the screenshots were pretty good for 1998. Looked real to me.

I thought it was hilarious when they actually put that picture of akuma in the remake but I never hear anybody talking about it

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Arivia posted:

Kotaku has run a story suggesting that myhouse.pk3 is actually a take on veddge's divorce, supported by an ex-wife's posts on tiktok: https://kotaku.com/doom-2-free-mods-myhouse-download-gzdoom-goty-1850616515

Kotaku seems shocked that folks aren’t engaging with this aspect much, but I think many of us do not want to investigate the personal failings of the map creator and his relationships and would rather interact with the work with the context given. Like I really don’t give a poo poo about Melville’s fishing stories when I read Moby Dick—he’s shown what he intends to show in the work. MZD and Poe’s childhood homelife details are unimportant to me when “reading” or “listening to” the house, beyond knowing that the two works are related in that way I don’t need to know what is an inside reference between the two of them/family as none of these works are trying to convince me of anything about those situations and made the references oblique enough to ensure that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

flavor.flv posted:

I thought it was hilarious when they actually put that picture of akuma in the remake but I never hear anybody talking about it

I didn’t know that. That’s fantastic.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

do I really wanna know that the guy who made the really creative and interesting mod had a divorce that does not seem to colour the mod in any significant way or seem important for us to know. Like why are you like this Kotaku

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It's pretty funny how savvy Capcom seems to have become in the modern era. Stuff like the Akuma reference, Shen Long, the ditman glitch, and more obscure stuff most game companies usually don't care about.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

do I really wanna know that the guy who made the really creative and interesting mod had a divorce that does not seem to colour the mod in any significant way or seem important for us to know. Like why are you like this Kotaku

Media criticism is in a really rough spot right now because so many schools of thought are colliding with people who haven't actually been properly taught critical thinking and interpretation and it's lead to this absolutely bizarre situation where people have mistaken analyzing a piece of art to tell us about a creator/understanding the mindset and context of a creator's life that may frame or reframe a piece of art with "we have to know absolutely everything about the creator of this art so we know how to feel about it". It's very strange and ultimately lacking in nuance.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
hey

some people got their tedious PhDs in recounting Herman Melville's life, so even academia has been m*****t**** for awhile

anyone read Olson's Call Me Ishmael? that's fun scholarship

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

hey

some people got their tedious PhDs in recounting Herman Melville's life, so even academia has been m*****t**** for awhile

And that’s why I explicitly called out that Moby Dick bullshit.

A high school era mentor of mine got her doctorate writing on Shakespeare’s use of the letter “o,” and I’ve since admired the ability to spin whatever bullshit out of the text.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

hey

anyone read Olson's Call Me Ishmael? that's fun scholarship

I actually have that in my little pile of to-reads.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Grassy Knowles posted:

And that’s why I explicitly called out that Moby Dick bullshit.

A high school era mentor of mine got her doctorate writing on Shakespeare’s use of the letter “o,” and I’ve since admired the ability to spin whatever bullshit out of the text.

lol that's rad

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Black August posted:

I actually have that in my little pile of to-reads.

as an Olson and Melville admirer, it's one of my peculiar favorites. Charles Olson and Ezra Pound: An Encounter at St Elizabeth's is also a neat one

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Because they're burning bridges with major studios and need content somehow

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

wanna say the manual has a page with a pic of zubat and a header titled RARE POKEMON

And also this wild little baby:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

And also this wild little baby:

I want to play the game they did

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

when you've definitely played the game you're making a guide for

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Grassy Knowles posted:

Kotaku seems shocked that folks aren’t engaging with this aspect much, but I think many of us do not want to investigate the personal failings of the map creator and his relationships and would rather interact with the work with the context given. Like I really don’t give a poo poo about Melville’s fishing stories when I read Moby Dick—he’s shown what he intends to show in the work. MZD and Poe’s childhood homelife details are unimportant to me when “reading” or “listening to” the house, beyond knowing that the two works are related in that way I don’t need to know what is an inside reference between the two of them/family as none of these works are trying to convince me of anything about those situations and made the references oblique enough to ensure that.
While I agree with your point, non-fiction on the Essex whaling disaster is interesting. Though that's more just going into the real life inspiration rather than how Meville particularly related to it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Terrible Opinions posted:

While I agree with your point, non-fiction on the Essex whaling disaster is interesting. Though that's more just going into the real life inspiration rather than how Meville particularly related to it.

I think there’s a notable distinction there as the intended audience was expected to be somewhat familiar with the Essex whaling disaster, they shouldn’t have known anything about Melville’s specific history at sea. I can understand a very very narrow reason to explore this from a semiotic standpoint, but I don’t think it’s useful outside of that.

And this whole discussion is still far more interesting than the personal life of a wad creator

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah read In the Heart of the Sea instead of that kotaku article.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Maritime disasters are interesting and public matters whereas a guy’s divorce is boring and private.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Maritime disasters are interesting and public matters whereas a guy’s divorce is boring and private.

You don’t want to talk about McKids ROM hacker xXxSpawnViolator666’s romantic relationships? You think it’s exploitative?

Explain James Cameron’s Titanic then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I was very upset when I learned that boats are real