Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Cant find it, but i did save it as .txt

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Jelly posted:

I don't know where else to ask this so I'm asking here since it only happens in d4 and I've never noticed it do this at any time ever before watching anything or playing anything, ever.

I have an LG C1 TV.
My energy saving settings have been off since I bought the TV and I have recently re-confirmed this.

I got up this morning and logged in. I started running a nightmare dungeon. I could see fine. The sun does not enter my apartment until 3pm and my blinds are 3/4 closed.

Near the end of the dungeon maybe ten minutes later, the brightness had notably decreased, however as soon as I complete the dungeon and the altar bubble pops up, BAM, brightness immediately restored to normal/good.

This is easily replicable with running any dungeon at any time. It's like at least a 100% increase in brightness as soon as that bubble pops.

I have spent well over a half hour poring through the TV settings and I am 98% convinced this is a Diablo issue due to how replicable it is and I think it's the stupidest thing I've ever experienced in a video game.

LG picture settings are saved per input, so make sure you have the correct input selected and then go through and disable all the auto poo poo that is enabled by default. RTings.com will probably have a guide for this if you want to make sure you got everything (their guide will be a generic "make your tv look good" type thing but it should work for your purposes). FWIW I have the B1 and don't have this issue at all playing on PS5.

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

bus hustler posted:

My main's name is Landlord and his title is Covetous Thief. What's more evil than the devil if not a Landlord?

:sickos:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Tiny Timbs posted:

OLED TVs have ABL functions you can’t disable. Diablo is probably just much darker across the image than most games. The altar is really bright and fills the screen when it pops up.

This kind of stuff is why I gave up on using my C7P as an HTPC. Webpages would make the brightness go back and forth as I scrolled between images and text.
This is probably the correct answer but I just ran another one and it actually brightens once I apply the levels to a glyph, not when the bubble pops up, which is arbitrarily more bizarre.

e: I have the "settings applied to all inputs" thing enabled

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Jelly posted:

This is probably the correct answer but I just ran another one and it actually brightens once I apply the levels to a glyph, not when the bubble pops up, which is arbitrarily more bizarre.

it's a setting called TPC (Temporal Peak Luminance Control), and it can only be disabled from the service menu

ask in this thread and someone should be able to help out

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jelly posted:

there's also the input itself, check that it's set to PC (not HDMI), iirc that changes some behavior as well

my cx dims, but only if I let it sit for awhile (which is what I want it to do anyway), it brightens once I start moving

I do recall firmware updates adjusting this, so that's another item to check

the c1 may have the settings substantially different from mine though, not sure

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bus hustler posted:

My main's name is Landlord and his title is Covetous Thief. What's more evil than the devil if not a Landlord?

Imperius is basically the landlord of heaven.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
lol i actually ran out of loving silver ore because everything that drops is rare and mobs drop MORE veiled crystals

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Verviticus posted:

lol i actually ran out of loving silver ore because everything that drops is rare and mobs drop MORE veiled crystals

you can get more by salvaging your jewels/weapons

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

OctaMurk posted:

Cant find it, but i did save it as .txt

Hey that's my post! It is linked in the OP as "getting big damage". Please note that the math in the example at the end is wrong, but the idea behind it is correct.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Doesn't really impact the gamerdads but I realized that the seasonal gimmick effectively removes 750 flat armor from everyone because you can't put skulls in your jewelry anymore.

That's actually pretty significant at the late endgame, hopefully the ligma gems make up for it or stuff gets rebalanced somehow

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Doesn't really impact the gamerdads but I realized that the seasonal gimmick effectively removes 750 flat armor from everyone because you can't put skulls in your jewelry anymore.

That's actually pretty significant at the late endgame, hopefully the ligma gems make up for it or stuff gets rebalanced somehow
Does STR still increase armor? Was planning to roll barbarian for the season and this may reinforce that.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

It's a BIG chunk of armor and I can see the situation where if any malignant gems contain some kind of armor or significant DR effects they might be required to make a build that doesn't die. That 750 armor really carries a lot of DR.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
day 2 of trying to find people in a pvp zone in HC and no luck :sigh:

Martian Manfucker posted:

It's a BIG chunk of armor and I can see the situation where if any malignant gems contain some kind of armor or significant DR effects they might be required to make a build that doesn't die. That 750 armor really carries a lot of DR.

its funny cause armour is still definitely undervalued by a lot of people

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Jelly posted:

I don't know where else to ask this so I'm asking here since it only happens in d4 and I've never noticed it do this at any time ever before watching anything or playing anything, ever.

I have an LG C1 TV.
My energy saving settings have been off since I bought the TV and I have recently re-confirmed this.

I got up this morning and logged in. I started running a nightmare dungeon. I could see fine. The sun does not enter my apartment until 3pm and my blinds are 3/4 closed.

Near the end of the dungeon maybe ten minutes later, the brightness had notably decreased, however as soon as I complete the dungeon and the altar bubble pops up, BAM, brightness immediately restored to normal/good.

This is easily replicable with running any dungeon at any time. It's like at least a 100% increase in brightness as soon as that bubble pops.

I have spent well over a half hour poring through the TV settings and I am 98% convinced this is a Diablo issue due to how replicable it is and I think it's the stupidest thing I've ever experienced in a video game.

i have a LG B9 that does the same thing. especially noticeable when i’m trying to redo skills. no fix that i’ve found but also only happens with diablo for me

e:

Tiny Timbs posted:

OLED TVs have ABL functions you can’t disable. Diablo is probably just much darker across the image than most games. The altar is really bright and fills the screen when it pops up.

This kind of stuff is why I gave up on using my C7P as an HTPC. Webpages would make the brightness go back and forth as I scrolled between images and text.

oh bummer

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 8, 2023

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm a mid level 60 Druid Pulverize build and not sure how to proceed. I feel like I'm stuck and thinking about changing to a different build. I'm currently in Tier 4 and doing Helltides and Nightmare Dungeons but any items that I get is not relevant to my build. Any ideas on how to get a fresh start with a new Druid build and what route I should follow?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i havent played a druid but you should do the thing where they teleport around without ever walking and turn screens of enemies into gold and items without - to the untrained eye - actually doing anything but teleporting

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

The patch we're getting on the 18th is supposed to be the big rebalance one.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

Salvaging stuff and then going to the alchemist and converting iron to silver works pretty good. I never seem to get much silver from salvaging.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Can I just say that whatever developer thought it would be just a wonderful idea to flood this game with a constant stream of fear / dizzying / whatever other bullshit spells enemies cast that constantly take control from the player with nothing they can reasonably do to stop it should never be allowed to touch video game development again?

Same goes for making every single boss constantly swap in and out of "IMMUNE" status, which coincidentally most often happens a quarter of a second after every single time I use an ability on a long cooldown.

gently caress everyone involved in both of those decisions. It's not fun. It doesn't make the game feel more strategic or high stakes. It just sucks and makes the game suck a little bit more every time it happens. It doesn't feel like a Diablo game. It just makes me want to play the game less.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 8, 2023

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

what class are you? i feel like everyone has at least one way to deal with that stuff, though some classes (like barbs) its a lot easier

SHISHKABOB posted:

Salvaging stuff and then going to the alchemist and converting iron to silver works pretty good. I never seem to get much silver from salvaging.

even a full inv. of rares doing this is like.. 4-5 silver worth. its honestly easier i think to just focus on veins when im in the overworld, sadly

in s1 im definitely paying a little more attention to those nodes as i level up. and i think im never gonna stop picking up magic items just to break at the blacksmith

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Verviticus posted:

what class are you? i feel like everyone has at least one way to deal with that stuff, though some classes (like barbs) its a lot easier

Sorc. But I think that's beside the point. I don't want a way to "deal" with it. I just want it to not happen. Even if you had a resource free, always-available "counter stun" button, the entire thing just disrupts the flow of the game and sucks.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 8, 2023

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

what would you change to compensate for the fact that the game is like 30% easier now

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Verviticus posted:

what would you change to compensate for the fact that the game is like 30% easier now

I would do one or multiple things that literally any other developer in the world who knows that taking control from the player is a cardinal sin of design would do. Just off the top of my head, how about adding more enemies and giving the player slightly more mobility options to avoid projectiles, like maybe adding a few extra dodges on that cooldown or something. I dunno... literally anything else besides "unavoidably lock the player in place so they just have to sit there helpless and watch while monsters wail on them for half their health."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 8, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Sorc. But I think that's beside the point. I don't want a way to "deal" with it. I just want it to not happen. Even if you had a resource free, always-available "counter stun" button, the entire just disrupts the flow of the game and sucks.

I know this isn’t going to change your mind but you need Unstoppable.

It is kinda silly that there’s a plethora of CC mechanics that can effect you, all of which are negated by that one component. I’m not smart enough to propose an alternative, but you gotta play the game you have not the game you want.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i am the dumbest motherfucker alive bc despite the fact that ive played d3 and understand how seasons work and dont really care about eternal beyond this first month, ive been keeping a huge hoard of gems in my stash since they hinted excess gems would have a use in future seasons

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

unattended spaghetti posted:

I know this isn’t going to change your mind but you need Unstoppable.

It is kinda silly that there’s a plethora of CC mechanics that can effect you, all of which are negated by that one component. I’m not smart enough to propose an alternative, but you gotta play the game you have not the game you want.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might try that out. I still hate that it takes up an entire skill block though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

I would do one or multiple things that literally any other developer in the world who knows that taking control from the player is a cardinal sin of design would do. Just off the top of my head, how about adding more enemies and giving the player slightly more mobility options to avoid projectiles, like maybe adding a few extra dodges on that cooldown or something. I dunno... literally anything else besides "unavoidably lock the player in place so they just have to sit there helpless and watch while monsters wail on them for half their health."

lol adding more enemies makes the game easier, not harder. i think you might be playing with a bad build

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. I might try that out. I still hate that it takes up an entire skill block though.

You need to remember that a big part of killing dudes is not dying first and it makes more sense.

There's also the boots/gloves aspect that makes you unstoppable if injured and crowd controlled every 20-40 seconds which is a good backup if you can give up the spot.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Well, I don’t know all the skills for all the classes chapter and verse, but at the least the stuff that provides unstoppable has other utility besides. It does feel like a non-choice right now though because of that high CC prevalence.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
with regards to the cc thing the design reason is that the alternatives are

-player character has no cc
-there is no pvp
-there are anti cc tools that never see play in pve

1 is probably the only feasible option imo but apparently the design team thought differently and tbf it does feel good to cc a big whack of mobs and a lot of strats revolve around it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't remember how all the pieces come together but I know my Sorc has Ice Armor and whenever I pop it I gain several seconds of overshield, CC immunity, faster movement, and more damage

ALl those things are super fun & so I recommend using the skills/gear that solve your problem and also add more fun to the user experience

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Busy Bee posted:

I'm a mid level 60 Druid Pulverize build and not sure how to proceed. I feel like I'm stuck and thinking about changing to a different build. I'm currently in Tier 4 and doing Helltides and Nightmare Dungeons but any items that I get is not relevant to my build. Any ideas on how to get a fresh start with a new Druid build and what route I should follow?

What tier nightmare dungeons are you doing? I felt like this as well on my necro, until I realized I was doing t21 nm dungeons. I salvaged all those and crafted/switched to mid 30's and it's a bit better. I might push it even farther to see how the drops look at like 41+.

Edit: I'm 70, running infinimist build without the unique boots or Black River for reference.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

unattended spaghetti posted:

you gotta play the game you have not the game you want.

Big wisdom right here

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't remember how all the pieces come together but I know my Sorc has Ice Armor and whenever I pop it I gain several seconds of overshield, CC immunity, faster movement, and more damage

ALl those things are super fun & so I recommend using the skills/gear that solve your problem and also add more fun to the user experience

flame shield and teleport gets you out of most things too iirc but he already said he doesn't care that theres a counter, its the fact that CC is in the game in the first place

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

with regards to the cc thing the design reason is that the alternatives are

-player character has no cc
-there is no pvp
-there are anti cc tools that never see play in pve

1 is probably the only feasible option imo but apparently the design team thought differently and tbf it does feel good to cc a big whack of mobs and a lot of strats revolve around it

What? The design alternative would just be "don't let enemies CC the player." Period. Done. Simple as that. I have a nice time playing the game when I'm not getting CC'd, don't you? I'm not sure why the discussion has to progress beyond that at all. Getting CC'd at all always sucks and is never, ever fun. While you're playing other games, do you think "man this is a cool game but I sure would love it if I was randomly frozen in place for a while every 5th fight while enemies chip away at my health for an extended period, in the middle of a bunch of cool action, and there's nothing I can do about it?" No. You don't.

Also, about "player character has no CC"... why? It's fun for the player to be able to CC enemies. It's not fun for the player to get CC'd by mobs. So... let the player CC enemies but don't let enemies CC the player. Diablo is a game about mowing through fields of enemies. It's not about being "fair" for all the pieces on the board, it's about being fun for the player.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 8, 2023

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If only there were some way of knowing when enemy CC was coming :rolleyes:

Now the spider trap bullshit on the other hand...

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

GreatGreen posted:

Getting used to what kind of CC is present in certain groupings will allow you the most ability to mitigate it. Practically every enemy group "type" has at least one monster that will attempt to punish the player along this axis, not including dungeon/elite keywords. A majority of CC is positioning punishment, allowing you the opportunity to avoid a lot of it through practice and fiddling with your skills/gear.

There are boots that provide additional dodge charges. Movement speed helps immensely with avoiding CC. There are class skills/aspects that give you a "oops, my fault" mechanics to circumvent CC.

Personally, I prefer games with increased lethality and mechanics that bully me if I'm not paying attention. Anything that makes me think "Oh, I could have avoided that if I did X" or gets me looking around for a solution is more engaging for me. Maybe not the most desirable trait for an ARPG, but was a pleasant surprise on my first play through.

Probably the most egregious example of CC being a bit ridiculous is the frost enchanted elite packs. Especially anything that moves fast and/or attacks quickly. Quill rats are hilarious in this regard.

Droxis fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 8, 2023

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

What? The design alternative would just be "don't let enemies CC the player." Period. Done. Simple as that. I have a nice time playing the game when I'm not getting CC'd, don't you? I'm not sure why the discussion has to progress beyond that at all. Getting CC'd at all always sucks and is never, ever fun. While you're playing other games, do you think "man this is a cool game but I sure would love it if I was randomly frozen in place for a while every 5th fight while enemies chip away at my health for an extended period, in the middle of a bunch of cool action, and there's nothing I can do about it?" No. You don't.

Also, about "player character has no CC"... why? It's fun for the player to be able to CC enemies. It's not fun for the player to get CC'd. It's not a difficult concept. Do you also think that in a Diablo game, each individual enemy should be just as strong as the player? The game is not about being "fair" for all the pieces on the board, it's about being fun for the player.

It's like you didn't read the post. If the player character has CC but enemies don't, you either need to get rid of pvp or add pvp only skills that don't see use in pve - either adding a layer of confusion or making pvp capable builds gimped in pve. None of those options seem great to me.

Or many other replies, frankly - your answer for what to do to increase difficulty to match what enemy cc does is laughable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

If only there were some way of knowing when enemy CC was coming :rolleyes:

Now the spider trap bullshit on the other hand...

Hmm, if only there was some other system that could be leveraged against the player as a consequence of mistakes during fights. Maybe some pool of resource that, if depleted, would end the player's "life" or something.

If only.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 8, 2023