Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Tai posted:

Also NAFO has done some heavy work too making GBS threads on russia disinformation. Russian disinformation is massively down compared to first few months at the start of the war. Bonus of enraging tankies. The fact that it is banned here as a compromise just shows you how effective it is.

IT'S NOT FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rant:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Eric_Lecomte_/status/1677705125161230338
That's interesting. Apparently Strelkov was forced to cancel one of his speeches, this one concerning Pig Boss's abortive rebellion, by the cops. Looks like his constant criticism is starting to attract more substantial pushback.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

I'm the box of two watermelons.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Ikasuhito posted:

An interesting photo op. Zelensky visits Snake Island.

https://twitter.com/front_ukrainian/status/1677557639817969665

How did that boat not sink under the weight of Zelenskyy's massive balls?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
BALTIC SEA SECURITY SITREP: Three months after my country joining NATO a seagull* of unknown origin dropped a putin on my arm spreading small sub-munitions on my child and shoe. Article 5 motherfuckers

*possibly seagal

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Liquid Chicken posted:

I'm the box of two watermelons.

Watermelon is probably a great choice for trench food. Energy, hydration, fiber

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Tai posted:

Also NAFO has done some heavy work too making GBS threads on russia disinformation. Russian disinformation is massively down compared to first few months at the start of the war. Bonus of enraging tankies. The fact that it is banned here as a compromise just shows you how effective it is.

the internet discourse equivalent of cluster bombs

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Icochet posted:

BALTIC SEA SECURITY SITREP: Three months after my country joining NATO a seagull* of unknown origin dropped a putin on my arm spreading small sub-munitions on my child and shoe. Article 5 motherfuckers

*possibly seagal

confirmed and geolocated from the future

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Gonna get me one of them taped-together kalashnikov AA setups that were posted earlier

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

zone posted:

confirmed and geolocated from the future

Even that seagull is like "Never go full Seagal."

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

pro starcraft loser posted:

Good thing there isn't a war then, just a special military operation.

POSMO

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Icochet posted:

Gonna get me one of them taped-together kalashnikov AA setups that were posted earlier

:hai: it doesn't look very useful, but it DOES look fun as hell

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1677706895778369538
Just in case the vatniks needed to screech some more about Sarmats and Istanbul actually being Greek again.

Russian Stretch goal for 2024: Have at least one friend that borders either the Black or Baltic seas.
Solution??: Maybe let Kaliningrad become an independent puppet state.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Does Turkey's navy rival Russia's in the Black Sea?

Not that I think anything will come of this, just curious.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Not that I think anything will come of this, just curious.

Well I mean if you control what goes into and out of the Black Sea....yes.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hang on let me ask the opposition *plunges head underwater*

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

I doubt we've reached the limit of decieving Putin.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's an old saying in Ukraine, probably in Russia too, "Deceive me once, shame on...shame on you. Deceive me—you can't get deceived again."

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

*the twinge of a banjo strums in the background*

...Well, ol' Erdoğan sure pulled a fast one on 'em....

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

bob dobbs is dead posted:

he actually has quite the accent in english and actual ukrainians are poor

He moves people to tears via translators, so I can imagine he’ll get speaking engagements all over the world

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

mobby_6kl posted:

There's an old saying in Ukraine, probably in Russia too, "Deceive me once, shame on...shame on you. Deceive me—you can't get deceived again."

I cannot wait for putin's Mission Accomplished moment

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/kajakallas/status/1677659297600217091

lmao at the melt down in the comments

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zelenskyy's decision to stay and lead from Kyiv was a pivotal moment for the morale of Ukraine's defense. I'm not speaking in the immeasurable and unquantifiable terms that would describe his effect on the defenders themselves, but rather his effect on Europe and the US.

When he responded to offers of aid for an escape with "I need ammunition, not a ride!" That was when the rest of the world realized that Ukraine was going to stand and fight, and that this wasn't going to be a repeat of 2014. This isn't about a great man narrative that people tend to gravitate towards. What President Zelenskyy did was give voice to the men and women standing up to Russia's colonial and genocidal, ambitions. It's sadly very, very easy for the people of the world to turn a blind eye to suffering and by giving people the seeds of a story to tell, he made sure that they stopped and listened for once.

He put a spotlight on the determination and courage of the people who were already fighting, and helped convince those who were on the fence about their odds that this time, Russia won't just get away with it again. This time it'll be different.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Tag urself, I’m the random box of watermelons

Fake edit: beaten like a Russian winter offensive

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thesis: He's doing a great job
Antithesis: That's propaganda to build western support
Synthesis: Building western support is his job

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The fact that people in the west, with the exception of a few amoral ghouls, are so ready to lionize Zelenskyy is a testament to just how effective his efforts are.

Tunicate posted:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
It's trivia time! Did you know that many Ukrainians have an oddly bent little finger on their left hand? It's true because I have one. My little finger looks broken, but it's actually because I'm the grandson of Ukrainian immigrants.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

:hmmyes:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I understand how Disco Elysium is a product of Estonia now

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

lmao

zone
Dec 6, 2016

fatherboxx posted:

:laffo:

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Runa posted:

Zelenskyy's decision to stay and lead from Kyiv was a pivotal moment for the morale of Ukraine's defense. I'm not speaking in the immeasurable and unquantifiable terms that would describe his effect on the defenders themselves, but rather his effect on Europe and the US.

When he responded to offers of aid for an escape with "I need ammunition, not a ride!" That was when the rest of the world realized that Ukraine was going to stand and fight, and that this wasn't going to be a repeat of 2014. This isn't about a great man narrative that people tend to gravitate towards. What President Zelenskyy did was give voice to the men and women standing up to Russia's colonial and genocidal, ambitions. It's sadly very, very easy for the people of the world to turn a blind eye to suffering and by giving people the seeds of a story to tell, he made sure that they stopped and listened for once.

He put a spotlight on the determination and courage of the people who were already fighting, and helped convince those who were on the fence about their odds that this time, Russia won't just get away with it again. This time it'll be different.

Hell, I'm all for putting up statues for the guy. Although we should probably wait for him to retire, atleast.

I do always chuckle a bit when landing at Lech Walensa airport. Not that he wasn't a great man, just the fact he's still alive gives him a chance to gently caress it all up.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

tango alpha delta posted:

It's trivia time! Did you know that many Ukrainians have an oddly bent little finger on their left hand? It's true because I have one. My little finger looks broken, but it's actually because I'm the grandson of Ukrainian immigrants.

That's called arthritis where i'm from, the flareups are bloody painful. :argh: :corsair: :razzy:

There must have been a small genetic bottleneck for that to occur in the local population.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I always find it kind of funny that Zelenskyy detractors always pivot to "he's an actor!" like it some kind of gotcha. He has to be an inspirational figurehead, he has to give speeches to extremely different audiences all over the world, he has to speak directly to his own people and to give them hope and resolve.
An actor is loving perfect for the job; they know how to find meaning in a phrase and to imbue it with emotion and meaning. The assumption is that an actor has to be basically faking everything they do, rather than using their learned skills in different ways.
The man has every kind of expert around him to deal with military tactics, international diplomacy etc.

His job is to be the face of it all, to hold it all together and to keep Ukraine front and center in international news reporting, and he's a juggernaut at doing just that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The main accusation from russian commentors is "he's an addict", and personally I'll have whatever he's smoking

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

The main accusation from russian commentors is "he's an addict", and personally I'll have whatever he's smoking

After the war, I want to party with him and Hunter.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tunicate posted:

They always ignore the little detail about V.V. Monke being a failed spy relegated to a desk job in East Germany, that wound up stealing a washing machine when he went home

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Some Z patriot started raising the alarm about eastern europe's shell factories spinning up their production lines.

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1677747805325017088
Tatarigami has a good thread here about a captured document detailing the vatnik tactics on the Zaporizhzhia front. Going over those tactics, it's probably just as well that Russian methods of centralized command are as ineffective and inefficient as they are.

zone fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Maybe Prigozhin is a nazi, but is a cool painter

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2023/06/01/wagner-head-prigozhins-past-life-as-a-childrens-author-and-illustrator-a81358