Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Das Boo posted:

You're not wrong; the budget was shoestring as hell. There's definitely some hard decisions being made on crowd shots and the like. It's suspected that the low cost of the show was a major factor in what saved us from Zaslav's axe.

Well good work so far regardless and I’m glad to hear at least two seasons are confirmed right out of the gate (can you say anything about roughly how long a season of this show should be?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Two seasons of ten each. Only ones I didn't get to work on were these first two and the very last episode- WB didn't wanna pay us another two weeks, so I think anything not reused in S2E10 was done via freelance.

The dopey part is that freelance is more expensive, but since it draws from a different cash pile it's where "they had money left."

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Heh, Makes me think of working at Target, sometimes we get scheduled under different teams than we are actually working because they have different hour pools.
And holiday pay comes out of the same pool as overtime so stores tend to let you get overtime on weeks with holidays as it somehow costs them the same as if you didn't work overtime. It is all so weird.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

saw the first episode and i really like it so far! as everyone mentioned it's wholesome as hell. but...that also makes me wonder why it's on Adult Swim? I didn't see anything in that episode that displayed anything excessively profane or violent (the closest being that one scene with the henchman getting killed by the robot).

Das Boo posted:

I can now! Yes, it's Studio Mir. We kiiiinda suspect they outsourced a lot of S1, but they were 100% behind the S2 wheel.

1. do yo work on the show?
2. there's already two seasons completed??

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Das Boo posted:

Two seasons of ten each. Only ones I didn't get to work on were these first two and the very last episode- WB didn't wanna pay us another two weeks, so I think anything not reused in S2E10 was done via freelance.

The dopey part is that freelance is more expensive, but since it draws from a different cash pile it's where "they had money left."

Did anything about the show change as a result of the move or is it still more or less the same series that was pitched to Cartoon Network proper a while back?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Das Boo posted:

You're not wrong; the budget was shoestring as hell. There's definitely some hard decisions being made on crowd shots and the like. It's suspected that the low cost of the show was a major factor in what saved us from Zaslav's axe.

In that case I'm really impressed Lois got multiple outfits because I was under the impression that's more expensive.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mr Interweb posted:

saw the first episode and i really like it so far! as everyone mentioned it's wholesome as hell. but...that also makes me wonder why it's on Adult Swim? I didn't see anything in that episode that displayed anything excessively profane or violent (the closest being that one scene with the henchman getting killed by the robot).

1. do yo work on the show?
2. there's already two seasons completed??

1. I was a BG artist on it.
2. 2 seasons are all done!
3ish. MAWS was originally designed as a CN/HBO Max all-ages show. We didn't find out 'til late (April, I think) that we were getting shifted to Toonami/Max which, as I understand it, is because they're essentially killing CN and absorbing it into WBA. If I go through my phone I could tell you the exact date we found out- Jake called me, jazzed as hell about being on Toonami.

Larryb posted:

Did anything about the show change as a result of the move or is it still more or less the same series that was pitched to Cartoon Network proper a while back?

The shift happened so late that it's still the same CN show. Pretty sure the same's true for Unicorn.

Dawgstar posted:

In that case I'm really impressed Lois got multiple outfits because I was under the impression that's more expensive.

It is, since you're eating up your character artist's and color artist's time for each one. I guess that was part of the allotted "design pool" and why so many of us got rolled off before the last episode, lol. Not to say the show was mismanaged! They tried to stretch their dollars and keep us on as long as possible while making the show look as good as possible and telling stories they wanted to tell.

For example, that's why a lot of the show is kept to Metropolis (and a few other locations): You can reuse a lot! I think I started with 20ish BGs an episode and was down to 10ish by the end since we could reuse so much. A lot of design review was "Ooh, we can use this again for [x]!"

Which hey, means my stuff shows up more.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 8, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Quote is not edit!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/BasedLIDA/status/1677519466337546240?t=bsVkAQB7_5Ug4BSmJDezBw&s=19

Close enough.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

…who’s Griffith in this parallel, though?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

…who’s Griffith in this parallel, though?

Assuming we’re getting one in this series, Lex maybe?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Slade has got the white hair.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So far Slade has done nothing wrong

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MorningMoon posted:

I mean he did say he's the good guy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Does it get gay?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The_Doctor posted:

Does it get gay?

Without naming names, there is a gay couple who are important to the plot.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MorningMoon posted:

It's Slade, we can assume he's done something to get himself put on a government watchlist.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Das Boo posted:

Two more questions for you (and if you can’t answer that’s fine)

-Will there eventually be a Lex Luthor and/or a Mr Mxyzptlk in the series?

-Is the masked guy from the opening called by his comic name (Deathstroke) or by his Teen Titans animated name (Slade)?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Pa Kent’s “What’s not to like about a boy digging up his childhood spaceship? It’s the most natural thing in the world!” followed by the same hasty “Boy, I’m not feeling so good. I better go.” that Clark used earlier is such solid, immediate characterization.

This show might be pretty great.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

Das Boo posted:

I hope with Jimmy's french hyper gorilla or whatever comment that Monsieur Mallah and the Brain become costars. Get them internships too!

The show is excellent, it's captured the sense of joy and excitement that's been missing from DC animation and movies for a long time. I hope you guys get a pick-up for a 3rd season and many more.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Larryb posted:

Two more questions for you (and if you can’t answer that’s fine)

-Will there eventually be a Lex Luthor and/or a Mr Mxyzptlk in the series?

-Is the masked guy from the opening called by his comic name (Deathstroke) or by his Teen Titans animated name (Slade)?

- Can't say to the former but I think I'm okay to confirm the latter since Mr. Mxy was already leaked. Will also confirm that he's my favorite character because he's so joyously the worst.

- We were calling him Slade, but I honestly don't remember if he was referred to as that in the script. He's called Wilson for every instance I can remember. I thought he was Wade Wilson pre Deadpool when I first saw the animatics.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Those are both his name. Slade Wilson is just Deathstroke's real name.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Slaaaaaaade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA_1jtlE9RI

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On another note, I got around to watching the latest Christmas special of BBC's Ghosts because I didn't realise it had been released and missed it, and I love how it shows strength (putting my thoughts here because it's by the people who did Horrible Histories so it's chidren's show adjacent) in the army captain. He's shown to be a good leader because of how kind he is, he's very good with dealing with psychological problems. He may have been a bit too twee to do well in combat, but he made captain because he was a great leader, because he was great at leading his men. The latest episode shows this when Kitty starts freaking out due to stage fright just as they are about to put on a panto for Alison as a present for her, and the Captain is the one who is able to convince her to stop comparing herself to the version Alison was planning on seeing in a theatre with Mel B as Cinderella.

I also love that while some of the deaths have somewhat amusing circumstances it knows to be serious when the situation calls for it, like with Mary, a woman who was burnt as a witch (a bit historically inaccurate as witches in the UK were more commonly hung iirc but makes for a good story) and is the only ghost who cannot bring herself to talk about her death because of how painful and traumatic it was. Some of the deaths themselves are funny, but they are led up to with plenty of tragedy too to balance things out, like with Fanny Button's backstory, who died when she caught her husband in a compromising position with the stable boy and the gardener, but only got stuck being married to him because her family fell badly into debt and due to Edwardian notions of gender roles refused to let Fanny do the books because she was better with money than her rather, and so resolved their problem by marrying her off to a local aristocrat who's family were embarassed by his homosexuality.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Those are both his name. Slade Wilson is just Deathstroke's real name.

Ah right, I don’t believe the OG Teen Titans cartoon ever used his villain name though (but I could be wrong)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
of course not.

the d word is an info hazard for children. same with the k word and a bunch other weird Standards and Practice stuff. oh except the funny times show runners send a sacrificial lamb and it gets through some how but what they really wanted/were okay with gets nixed

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Although, given in the original show he was just as much a psychological/personal threat, being on first name terms with him kind of worked better. I took him more seriously as Slade than I would have done if they'd called him Deathstroke the Terminator. Same with his appearences in Arrow, he's more impressive when he's just a guy, but a REALLY DANGEROUS one.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Deathstroke is just too cheesy of a name to take seriously. Sounds like a villain of the week type of name.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Deathstroke is just too cheesy of a name to take seriously. Sounds like a villain of the week type of name.

Yeah, to be honest “Slade” always sounded better to me anyway (as mentioned above, it’s arguably more menacing as well) so this is one case of censorship actually improving on the original material

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 8, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Being voiced by Ron Perlman also helped.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

One strength of the new show's take on him is that he seems like exactly the sort of guy who's call himself that and insist that everyone else does so as well.

Speaking of MAWS villains, am I alone in kind of rooting for Leslie/Livewire? For a career crook with a troublingly relaxed attitude towards collateral damage, she seems oddly likeable and sympathetic, especially considering the ghastly bunch she's run afoul of.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Livewire is usually a bit sympathetic in most adaptations. Plus she's just a fun villain.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah I think the last time I recall her showing up in the comics(or at least in the Post Crisis/Pre Flashpoint continuity) they had her do a Face turn, even had her adopt a modified version of the "Electric Superman" costume

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, given how hard her new 'employers' are going 'yes, we are responsible for everything bad that happened to you and no, the nice alien lad who saved your life had nothing to do with us', there does seem like a path for her to turn antihero if she's lucky/smart enough.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I think the last time I recall her showing up in the comics(or at least in the Post Crisis/Pre Flashpoint continuity) they had her do a Face turn, even had her adopt a modified version of the "Electric Superman" costume
The problem with that is Sparxx, who I will always remember and be a fan of.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Das Boo posted:

The basis of a good aesthetic is there, but the budget explains a few things. For what's going on in the production background here, I'm impressed by the output.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is this the first bit of Superman media where Kryptonians actually had their own language rather than just speaking English (from the viewer’s perspective that is)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 9, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

So is this the first bit of Superman media where Kryptonians actually had their own language rather than just speaking English?

I think Kyrpton implied they were all speaking an alien language.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Are we sure Jor-El wasn't just speaking Italian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

So is this the first bit of Superman media where Kryptonians actually had their own language rather than just speaking English?

No definitely not, but I think it's the first time the language has remained foreign this long. Most versions I've seen have some sort of weird alien tech thing that downloads Kryptonese or whatever into Clark's head like the first time he interacts with his ship or the Fortress of Solitude or whatever other Kryptonian stuff