Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqwt5FPcS6s

casual reminder that this is the only time Kobashi ever used the Diamond Head (because Kobashi hosed it up and hurt Kanemaru)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
What the gently caress was the Diamond Head even supposed to be?!?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im watching Mox and Homicide vs Kasai and El Desperado (im new to NJPW) and its billed as an "Exciting Encounter No DQ Match"

is "exciting encounter" the name of a type of match/ruleset, the name of the event, or just flavor/creative text?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's just a fancy name for a match to sell it plus it's kinda of thing for Death matches in Japan to get weird long names (See any Onita FMW death/explosion match)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it sounds like the kinda thing that’d be the title of an Ultraman episode

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Halloween Jack posted:

What the gently caress was the Diamond Head even supposed to be?!?
Looked like Faarooq hitting a fall-away Dominator. Fall-Away Dominator, Wednesdays this fall on TNT

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

disaster pastor posted:

Less "plans changed" than "how do we prevent plans changing," but... a lot of WCW's late summer/early fall 1993 pretapes reference the Horsemen (AA and Paul Roma) defeating the Hollywood Blonds for the tag titles. The win was originally supposed to be at Beach Blast in July, but WCW tried to throw a little curve and had the Blonds retain there, swerving people who "knew" the Horsemen would win because they had the belts at the tapings. The intention was to do the switch at the next Clash, which would happen before the pretapes started airing.

Trouble is, Pillman busted his leg in between the two shows and couldn't work. The titles still had to move to the Horsemen somehow, and it couldn't be a forfeit because the pretaped material specifically said the Horsemen beat the Blonds.

So, at the Clash of the Champions, the Four Horsemen indeed defeated the defending champion Hollywood Blonds: Steve Austin and, uh, Lord Steven Regal.
aha that's the exact type of thing I was wondering about, thanks!!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So what's the difference between the different shows under each company? Like raw and smackdown or collision and damage?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Elblanco posted:

So what's the difference between the different shows under each company? Like raw and smackdown or collision and damage?

Right now it's a bit too early to really define Collision because it's only been three episodes. So far it seems like:

Dynamite: Main show to push storylines, though still with plenty of wrestling. Is mainly where you will see the Elite and BCC. All the matches are announced well beforehand and almost always seem important.

Rampage: Hour of about four matches. Based on the midcard. Nothing major seems to happen there anymore, but it does have some good quality stuff.

Collision: Haven for CM Punk, FTR, Miro, Samoa Joe, House of Black, Powerhouse Hobbs, and Andrade. So far there hasn't been that much story stuff in terms of making the following show must-watch. It doesn't help that it's been the main focus of the Owen Hart Cup tournaments, which lacks all that much story flair. Right now it's just a place where matches happen that SHOULD feel important, but honestly don't yet.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I feel like Collision's going to settle into a groove once they hash out what it's actually going to be.

I like it being a soft split, but I hope that veers more towards "if you're not on one show this week, you're on the other", and not "this is the show where you can see these specific wrestlers". Though if you're a wrestler with some miles on you, I can see the appeal of only working Saturdays.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Elblanco posted:

So what's the difference between the different shows under each company? Like raw and smackdown

having watched both for a long time, raw was the A show and smackdown was the more 'accessible' ? show

they tried brand splits and 'free agents' who could go from show to show, separate belts then not separate belts, to including nxt to not including nxt over the past 6 years, but it seems now that smackdown is the A show because it's broadcast over the air on fox for more casual viewership and is generally more easy understanding with the storylines and raw is the more wwe enthusiast show? idk how to explain it.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Elblanco posted:

or collision and damage?

for the first 4 years of aew (i havent been to a live show so please correct me)

hour one+ was dark and dark elevation for youtube (which no longer exist per the new warner contract), hours 2-4 were live dynamite, and hour 5 was rampage to be taped and aired friday nights. everything was taped wednesday

eventually post-pandemic dark elevation was moved to universal studios for its own marathon tapings 5 hours over 2 weekend days to be broadcast over youtube the next two months

with the acquisition of ROH by tony khan, the dark elevation universal tapings turned into half elevation, half ROH for about a year

now, it seems this (again correct me if im wrong)

dynamite wednesdays: (if you're in person) hour one+ is roh, hours 2-4 are live dynamite on tv, and hour 5 is taped rampage for friday

now with collision saturdays: surrounding hours are roh and non-recorded dark matches both before and after the live show 8-10pm

aew has lots of roster bloat, e.g., there's so many talented folks for just one wednesday live show, so part of their new wbd contract was a new saturday live show to showcase the talent not on wednesdays. so it seems there's a soft split in aew between live dynamite wednesday and collision saturday and we're going to see how they interact with each other because collision is so new

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Who first did the tiger driver '98? Kenny catching Rey Phoenix in one coming off the middle rope is one of the coolest spots ever.

Also I've always heard the burning hammer has a reputation of a brutal move that is hard to take like these but it seems pretty safe if it's done right.

As long as I'm at it, was Kenny the first person ever to kick out of the one winged angel?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Also I've always heard the burning hammer has a reputation of a brutal move that is hard to take like these but it seems pretty safe if it's done right.

As long as I'm at it, was Kenny the first person ever to kick out of the one winged angel?

The OG burning hammer had a far more vertical landing than more current versions that make sure to rotate the guy taking it so it's taken on the chest/face

Ibushi kicked out of it in DDT, Okada reached the rope in New Japan but nobody kicked out

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I don't think the OWA has been as protected outside of Kenny using it

A one count is just what happens when you use another man's finisher on him

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

edit: mixed up

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Apparently there is a hard roster split in AEW... but only for folks who are also married to wrestlers in WWE. Since the WWE schedule runs Thursday through Tuesday (with travel days) and AEW ran Tuesday through Thursday before Collision, if someone was in a "mixed marriage" like Malakai Black (married to WWE's Zelina Vega) they would basically never get to be home at the same time as their spouse.

Now anyone with a spouse on the Thursday to Tuesday WWE grind can be at home at least three days a week with their significant other.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Check out AJW on YouTube. Modern Joshi is awesome - I love me some TJPW - but old school Joshi has big badass fuckers punching each other to death and it's great. Aja Kong, Dump Matsumoto, Bull Nakano...some of the coolest wrestlers ever.

I don't know who was in the match because I missed it but I once caught a Joshi boxing match on my channel and was blown away, it was brutal, bloody, and crazy exciting. The Brawl-For-All could never.

In the 90s AJW did a lot of stuff that was either shoots or strange worked shoot things; you had the Martial Arts title matches based around Bat Yoshinaga but they did similar things with others; and then in 1996 they did a full on MMA tournament that was meant to be built around Yumiko Hotta winning (instead she lost in the tournament final to some random shooter they brought in to add legitimacy). Its less known than the Brawl For All or the NJPW Inokiism stuff but that's mainly because it didn't have much of an impact: probably wasn't good to have Hotta lose like that but it didn't have the bigger stars in it; and the main reason AJW went down in the mid/late 90s (Matsunaga brothers being incompetent at handling money; things getting stale and the interpromotional button was already pushed in the early 90s, not clear major stars coming through) had nothing to do with the shoot stuff.

AJW has lots of interesting bits of history like this - random example: AJW's rookie matches apparently used to not have planned finishes: they still worked moves and were meant to let their opponent try to pin them but the covers and kickouts are all shoots. They expanded this for some mid-card title matches as well; there's a 30 minute Bull Nakano-Yumiko Hotta draw for the AJW Championship where both simply made sure that they were on their stomach when they started selling stuff. Died out in the 90s I suspect with the reduction in the number of rookies they had coming through and perhaps with a generation change in the dojo (I think it coincidentally coincides with Jaguar Yokota leaving her training position?) which is for the best as it probably is a stupid way to do things - did mean that they had great kickouts though!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

This is a pet peeve of mine. At some point it's been misunderstood that 'no-one has kicked out of the OWA' means when ANYONE has done it. That's not the thing. The thing is only Ibushi has ever kicked out when KENNY does it. Hangman, Ospreay, Cobb have all done it and people kick out.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

kennys burring his own drat move!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Kenny has the power of god and anime behind his One Winged Angels that's why it's such a killer when he does it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

graph posted:

for the first 4 years of aew (i havent been to a live show so please correct me)

hour one+ was dark and dark elevation for youtube (which no longer exist per the new warner contract), hours 2-4 were live dynamite, and hour 5 was rampage to be taped and aired friday nights. everything was taped wednesday

eventually post-pandemic dark elevation was moved to universal studios for its own marathon tapings 5 hours over 2 weekend days to be broadcast over youtube the next two months

with the acquisition of ROH by tony khan, the dark elevation universal tapings turned into half elevation, half ROH for about a year

now, it seems this (again correct me if im wrong)

dynamite wednesdays: (if you're in person) hour one+ is roh, hours 2-4 are live dynamite on tv, and hour 5 is taped rampage for friday

now with collision saturdays: surrounding hours are roh and non-recorded dark matches both before and after the live show 8-10pm

aew has lots of roster bloat, e.g., there's so many talented folks for just one wednesday live show, so part of their new wbd contract was a new saturday live show to showcase the talent not on wednesdays. so it seems there's a soft split in aew between live dynamite wednesday and collision saturday and we're going to see how they interact with each other because collision is so new
The taping I went to recently had a true dark match pre-Dynamite (which should have been on TV dammit!), then Dynamite, then Rampage, then one ROH match after Rampage.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

My dynamite ticket says 7:30 on it, is that likely to be the dark match?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Kvantum posted:

Apparently there is a hard roster split in AEW... but only for folks who are also married to wrestlers in WWE. Since the WWE schedule runs Thursday through Tuesday (with travel days) and AEW ran Tuesday through Thursday before Collision, if someone was in a "mixed marriage" like Malakai Black (married to WWE's Zelina Vega) they would basically never get to be home at the same time as their spouse.

Now anyone with a spouse on the Thursday to Tuesday WWE grind can be at home at least three days a week with their significant other.

drat, I hadn't considered that checks out for like half the seemingly-exclusive people:

Andrade
Buddy Matthews
Malakai Black
Miro

and then punk and thunder rosa are both people with locker room heat

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

fez_machine posted:

I don't think the OWA has been as protected outside of Kenny using it

A one count is just what happens when you use another man's finisher on him
Jake Roberts is credited as saying that the difference between his DDT and everyone else's is "They don't get up from mine."

Universally accepted kayfabe is that the person who does the move regularly somehow knows a more effective way to deliver it, while everyone else's is a pale imitation.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
and that's why hbk's scm is more powerful than any superkicks the bucks, lucha bros, etc. could ever connect with

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What's one of the earliest big tim heel turns that got people really pissed off. The earliest I can think of is Larry Zybisco turning on Bruno

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bonk posted:

Jake Roberts is credited as saying that the difference between his DDT and everyone else's is "They don't get up from mine."

Universally accepted kayfabe is that the person who does the move regularly somehow knows a more effective way to deliver it, while everyone else's is a pale imitation.

See also, Big Show and Punching.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Shard posted:

What's one of the earliest big tim heel turns that got people really pissed off. The earliest I can think of is Larry Zybisco turning on Bruno

Spiros Arion turning on Jay Strongbow (and hence Larry Z, and Bruno) in the mid '70s got folks pretty pissed as well.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
How did Inoki come to loan VKM one million dollars for wrestlemania I?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Lid posted:

How did Inoki come to loan VKM one million dollars for wrestlemania I?

i also have an inoki and vince question thats been in my brain for a while. I read that Vince copyed Inoki in various ways in the 80s but i could only really figure out entrance music and the general pomp that njpw had. Was their anything else?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

that was the rare incident of inoki stealing from vince

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Suplex Liberace posted:

i also have an inoki and vince question thats been in my brain for a while. I read that Vince copyed Inoki in various ways in the 80s but i could only really figure out entrance music and the general pomp that njpw had. Was their anything else?

An all-consuming and frankly insane determination to transcend wrestling and turn it into something else. Inoki wanted pro wrestling to be shootfighting and Vince wanted/wants it to be Hollywood.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Suplex Liberace posted:

that was the rare incident of inoki stealing from vince

I prefer to believe that it was Inoki stealing from The Sandman & Raven

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think there's a little book that might have done it before all three of those wrestling angles. You may have heard of it, it's pretty darn popular and contains a lot of important lessons. It's even been made into a movie or two.

That's right, they all ripped off the X-Men!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Speaking of Inoki, I was watching Kim Justice's video about the Inoki-Baba rivalry which destroyed the JWA and led to the formation of AJPW and NJPW last night, and I got to wondering about what might have happened had Inoki's attempt at taking over the JWA had been successful.

Which then led to pondering other sliding doors moments in wrestling. The Montreal Screwjob is another obvious one, but what are some other events where a change in outcome could have had a seismic effect on this stupid industry?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

This became more surreal when it turned out Inoki was an actual example of a Secret Muslim and had been for decades. No one did it like Inoki.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The whole Inoki comes out on a cross was for a New Years K1/MMA -show. Dream and K-1 were both in dire straits in 2011, so they asked IGF to help them out.

Thus out came the savior Inoki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Asteroid Alert posted:

The whole Inoki comes out on a cross was for a New Years K1/MMA -show. Dream and K-1 were both in dire straits in 2011, so they asked IGF to help them out.

Thus out came the savior Inoki.

It was the first big JMMA New Years show I'd ever seen live and outcomes crucified Inoki and I was absolutely howling at the sheer nonsense of it all. If the UFC would embrace sheer fun like that I'd probably still watch MMA.