Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The cardboard sleeves for the David Lynch films are undoubtedly beautiful

Don't forget to look inside the Blue Velvet sleeve after watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I watched Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire that I got from the Criterion site sale a few months ago over the long weekend and they're all really great versions and packages. Inland in 4k looks better than I expected in a lot of scenes.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vinegar Syndrome issued a press release announcing that while Culture Shock is moving on to do its own thing,

a) they've acquired two new partner labels. IFC Films and Art Label
b) both will have titles added to the monthly lineup starting in December
c) they teased that IFC's December release will be from Alex Ross Perry (Her Smell previously released on the service; its success probably helped boost their interest in trying to make more of this happen in the first place. I'd love to see a Queen of Earth release)
d) they also teased that other partner label releases this year will include the first 4K from Canadian International Pictures, and Dekanalog releasing the first partner label 3D distribution

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Someone posted a while back about F/X and F/X 2 getting a 4K release but it’s totally ungoogleable. Does anybody have the link?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I checked Wikipedia to see what IFC Films has and apparently they did a restoration of Brother From Another Planet

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Chris James 2 posted:

Vinegar Syndrome issued a press release announcing that while Culture Shock is moving on to do its own thing,

a) they've acquired two new partner labels. IFC Films and Art Label

I hope this means I can finally own Death of Stalin on BD in region A, only got a DVD and VOD here...total nonsense.

e: google says there's a german bluray thats region A/B though...might be the move if VS isn't doing it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Here's where I found the press release btw https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/...ew-labels/47958

IFC Films' catalog of 967 releases https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IFC_Films_films

Really excited if that archive gets explored. Even if the first thing I want is more on the semi-recent side of that (I Am Not A Serial Killer deserves more respect and everything VS has done with their partner labels in my brief history of following this stuff makes me trust them)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Bummer to see Culture Shock is leaving the partner labels, doubt I'll remember to check their solo site often enough lol

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Creature posted:

Someone posted a while back about F/X and F/X 2 getting a 4K release but it’s totally ungoogleable. Does anybody have the link?

Maybe a 4K scan?

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/F-X-and-F-X-2-Blu-ray/339131/

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VS' $14 deals today:

Beats
Devil Story
Steel and Lace
El Planeta
Master of the World
Pathogen
Backwoods Marcy
Take Me Somewhere Nice
Streets of Death
Unmasking the Idol
The Flesh Merchant

This is their last set. Tomorrow is $18 4Ks and then their subscriber week is done

Also their first set where I don't already have anything of :thunk: I've got $10 in rewards left to spend, might hold onto it unless anyone has recommendations

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I can sign off on Steel & Lace as being good and the same for Beats (a nice slice of life/coming of age story set in the underground rave scene of the 90’s).

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Chris James 2 posted:

Tomorrow is $18 4Ks and then their subscriber week is done

My wallet is hosed tomorrow, isn't it :(

:)

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Yessss, I've been wanting Unmasking the Idol! Hoping they have Werewolf vs Vampire Woman tomorrow.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The Camp Arrow sale rules, mostly because the turn around of placing the order to it being shipped was about 15 hours

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Devil Story is AWFUL, highly recommended

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Steel & Lace is a surprisingly fun flick, but Unmasking the Idol is just terminally boring.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

PinkoBastard posted:

Devil Story is AWFUL, highly recommended

Oh yeah that one is… unique

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Final day of VS' Subscriber Week. Today's $18 4K(+Blu) deals:

The Beastmaster
Prospect
Awaken
Summer of 84
Ebola Syndrome
Madman
Schizoid/X-Ray double feature
Scanner Cop
Scanner Cop 2: The Showdown
Out of Order

Recommend Ebola Syndrome, Out of Order and Summer of 84. I'm jumping at the Scanner Cops :rubby: holy poo poo

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
If you love the Qatsi films, Baraka, and Samsara, you’ll like Awaken

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Thinking about dropping $18 just see Tanya Robert’s eyes in HDR

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Couldn't resist two 4K movies for $18 and grabbed X-Ray and Schitzo on top of the Apocalypse Tetralogy. :hellyeah:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Out of those I can say Scanner Cop 1 and Schizoid/X-Ray are worth a blind-buy.

Might go ahead and grab Ebola finally. That one has been on my radar for a minute.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Beastmaster has one scene where the colors look off but they have a statement at the beginning about it. I think it looks pretty great and there’s a good amount of ferret shenanigans that makes the movie pretty charming overall. Plus Rip Torn as an evil wizard.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

oof I did it again...

those damned sales titles get me every time...

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Beastmaster is so good. They really put an incredible amount of money and effort into making it that goes underappreciated. Filming with a child actor and animals is super difficult. All natural lighting and cinematography by the same guy that did Barry Lyndon. The climax where literally everything is on fire is insane.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

TheMopeSquad posted:

Beastmaster is so good. They really put an incredible amount of money and effort into making it that goes underappreciated. Filming with a child actor and animals is super difficult. All natural lighting and cinematography by the same guy that did Barry Lyndon. The climax where literally everything is on fire is insane.

They blackfaced a whole tiger, that’s the kind of dedication to in camera effects you just don’t see anymore.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Beastmaster rules. I watched an episode of the TV show as a kid and it was pretty lame, which turned me off watching the movie for a couple decades. Don't make the same mistake I did, kids.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Mantis42 posted:

How many of you actually listen to commentary tracks on most of the movies you buy? I try to every now and then but I just don't rewatch movies often enough to make it that attractive. Also on a lot of the kung fu movies I collect the commentaries are just some breathy nerd with a podcast or something.

I do generally if it's a movie I really like. I do have many disks where that is a feature and I haven't, but I probably will one day.

Funnily enough though, my favourite commentary track is on the Timelife "The Real Ghostbusters" box set. It's an actual video commentary, you see the people talking in it talking head-style with the episode inset, and the J. Michael Straczynski ones in particular are really interesting. He really cared about that show, including writing an episode that explained events directly after the end of the movie which obviously was broadcast out of order because networks.

He also is really angry about the consultants who the network got in to "fix" the popular show, who just made racist and sexist stuff up like "children find Janine's NY accent and pointy glasses too scary" and "Winston should be the driver", as well as "you need to have some children for viewers to relate to, we have invented The Junior Ghostbusters" and he really explains in detail exactly why the show started off great and just got worse and worse over time, mostly due to the incoherent "MORE SLIMER" screaming from the network/consultants.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Charles Ford posted:

"children find Janine's NY accent and pointy glasses too scary"
The Boogeyman was horrorfuel and a lot of the ghosts and situations were pretty gnarly.

Lmao at Jeanine's glasses.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Charles Ford posted:

I do generally if it's a movie I really like. I do have many disks where that is a feature and I haven't, but I probably will one day.

Yea I should clarify that if it's one of my all time favorites I'll listen but not for every random Shaw Bros film I pick up.

Btw I think I met one of the goons from this thread the other day. There's this old guy at work who was talking about his collection of old films and he specifically mentioned a softcore British dracula film from the 70s or something.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Mantis42 posted:

How many of you actually listen to commentary tracks on most of the movies you buy? I try to every now and then but I just don't rewatch movies often enough to make it that attractive. Also on a lot of the kung fu movies I collect the commentaries are just some breathy nerd with a podcast or something.

Commentaries have always been my favorite supplement, particularly from film scholars (name on Criterion discs) and directors. I've always been pretty diligent about listening to them, but lately with the proliferation of so many boutique labels offering commentary tracks I've stopped bothering for a lot of discs. As you've discovered, Hong Kong movies seem to be the worst offenders in my experience. It's same couple of nerds just hurriedly reading Wikipedia articles, listening off endless dates and related works, and often times retelling anecdotes verbatim from the site. It's honestly kind of insulting and I'd rather the just didn't bother if they weren't going to do them well.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Dragon Dynasty DVDs had great Bey Logan commentary tracks. Gotta close your eyes when the Weinstein logo is on the screen though.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Boinks posted:

Dragon Dynasty DVDs had great Bey Logan commentary tracks. Gotta close your eyes when the Weinstein logo is on the screen though.

I, uh, have some bad news about Bey Logan.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The best commentary tracks are either a) the Kurt Russell and John Carpenter ones where it's the two of them catching up over beers or b) the C.H.U.D. commentary track where the director, writer and Daniel Stern just rip on their own movie

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

The commentary for Jack-o is pretty famous.

It's just Fred Olen Ray roasting the director who eventually gets so mad that he leaves.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Well drat it all

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Which commentary was Carrot Top watching a movie he wasn't even in?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

TheMopeSquad posted:

Which commentary was Carrot Top watching a movie he wasn't even in?

The Rules of Attraction

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/brettgallman/status/1677704986220789760?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Why does slipcover damage matter? My trash can isn't picky