Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

ok so im as guilty of this as everyone else but i just realized this is the tweets thread so lets not get our cspam in our tweet thread plz & thank
ty rotor :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
finally got around to updating the op to expand requested thread content to tumblr posts, toots, and skeets, as long as they're at least screenshotted

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

don't forget chortles!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

don't forget chortles!
and gleeps on frunkley.bunk

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/santiviquez/status/1676677829751177219

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

incorrect the best minds are thinking about how to uninstall python

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kenny Logins posted:

don't call it a comeback, the cool zone's been here for years

heh

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/aschrock/status/1643046985078013953

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
that seems less a zine than a schizo pamphlet

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

same thing

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rjmccall posted:

that seems less a zine than a schizo pamphlet

I mean make your own conclusions but :hmmyes:

https://archive.org/details/manualzilla-id-5678153

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol yeah nailed it

lmao @ someone in loving 1995 saying "clearly, the bad times are upon us."

e: i read that a bit more and lol you could republish that word for word today and not get a second glance. weird how these people never change

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt.

Horace, 20 BCE

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt.

Horace, 20 BCE

I mean I'm no historian. I can't immediately discard the possibility that everything has been going steadily downhill for more than two millennia.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

I mean I'm no historian. I can't immediately discard the possibility that everything has been going steadily downhill for more than two millennia.
:hmmyes:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

Horace, 20 BCE

wasn't that during the collapse of the centuries-old roman republic and a series of brutal civil wars unprecedented in their history?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

7 years into Augustus' reign, but yeah the previous years were a mess. when it fell apart again we get a horse consul and a handful of emperors a year

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/lauriewired/status/1677082589507784704?t=pRVq3fPp1werK1G3D7TXLA&s=19

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

i saw Dumping Core at MoMA last year, it fuckin ruled

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
tldr

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Hopefully at some points in the future posting like this will be met with similar scorn to awesome epic reddit stories

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

laserghost posted:

Hopefully at some points in the future posting like this will be met with similar scorn to awesome epic reddit stories
not 100% sure i'm catching your exact meaning but in the worst case, i just liked the reply rather than the monkeycheese setup, tbqh. also i can't access twitter anymore for my harvests for this thread

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i skimmed the monkey cheese to get to the reply and it was good, thenneth

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
always here for a good tom waits story

https://twitter.com/CWSmets/status/1677410459165552640

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

:lol:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Agile Vector posted:

7 years into Augustus' reign, but yeah the previous years were a mess. when it fell apart again we get a horse consul and a handful of emperors a year
The previous decades. The Social Wars, Sulla's occupation of the city, the Catiline Conspiracy, the 3rd Servile War, et al. But none of it was strictly unprecedented despite the Roman talent for crafting rose-colored glasses.

The horse as consul/senator was rather early on in the Principate—probably midway through Caligula's reign (37-41) when relations with the Senate broke down and was more likely a jab at the co-option of almost the whole of the cursus honorum. Caligula was many things and was certainly not a nice man, but care must be taken with these things because, above all else, the Romans were just utterly full of poo poo.

In Caligula's case, they were faced with a situation where the emperor had been murdered¹ and what people generally assumed was a drooling gimp chosen by the prætorian put in his place. An emperor, it might be added, who was much more popular with the people than he was with the senatorial class (this was also the case, tho less luridly, with Nero)

Contemporary sources are also thin—Tacitus' Annals, written closest to the events, regarding this period have significant lacunæ—but non-Roman writings such as Philo's The Embassy to Gaius portray not so much a perverted lunatic but just a callous, arrogant young man with a strange sense of humor.

As for emperor clusters, well, there are two main events: the Year of the Four Emperors in 69CE and the Year of the Five Emperors in 193CE, which wasn't as nice—especially for Didius Julianus, who lasted a mere 66 days.

And now, a tweet

https://twitter.com/phosphor_glow/status/1677151289438883850?t=3Tg889RiOfWDrONfp6rq2g&s=19

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

my favorite thing about caligula is that his name means little boot, because that’s what soldiers called him when he paraded around in miniature armor as a child

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i guess horace was right then

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Farty Crabcakes posted:

The previous decades. The Social Wars, Sulla's occupation of the city, the Catiline Conspiracy, the 3rd Servile War, et al. But none of it was strictly unprecedented despite the Roman talent for crafting rose-colored glasses.

The horse as consul/senator was rather early on in the Principate—probably midway through Caligula's reign (37-41) when relations with the Senate broke down and was more likely a jab at the co-option of almost the whole of the cursus honorum. Caligula was many things and was certainly not a nice man, but care must be taken with these things because, above all else, the Romans were just utterly full of poo poo.

In Caligula's case, they were faced with a situation where the emperor had been murdered¹ and what people generally assumed was a drooling gimp chosen by the prætorian put in his place. An emperor, it might be added, who was much more popular with the people than he was with the senatorial class (this was also the case, tho less luridly, with Nero)

Contemporary sources are also thin—Tacitus' Annals, written closest to the events, regarding this period have significant lacunæ—but non-Roman writings such as Philo's The Embassy to Gaius portray not so much a perverted lunatic but just a callous, arrogant young man with a strange sense of humor.

As for emperor clusters, well, there are two main events: the Year of the Four Emperors in 69CE and the Year of the Five Emperors in 193CE, which wasn't as nice—especially for Didius Julianus, who lasted a mere 66 days.

And now, a tweet

https://twitter.com/phosphor_glow/status/1677151289438883850?t=3Tg889RiOfWDrONfp6rq2g&s=19

this is a great refresher/education and i forgot there were multiple rounds of Too Many Emperors

also that tweet is going to be stuck in my head for days

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 9, 2023

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

well-read undead posted:

my favorite thing about caligula is that his name means little boot, because that’s what soldiers called him when he paraded around in miniature armor as a child
Well his name was Gaius Julius Cæsar Augustus Germanicus (Augustus coming after ascension). Even given the frequently insulting nature of Roman cognomens (Cæsar is among other things thought to be mocking the family tendency towards baldness, Cicero means chickpea, Brutus means "stupid-looking", Pulcher "pretty boy", etc) Caligula fuckin hated it and its usage in histories is another posthumous "gently caress you"

And fun fact: the Horace that started this thread of conversation deserted the battle at Phillipi and returned to Rome under amnesty. (His cognomen, Flaccus, well, I'm sure you can guess what it means but I'm not quite sure the context is the same. Also a patrician, which is surprisingly less common than you might think when it comes to portrayals of the period.)

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Agile Vector posted:

this is a great refresher/education and i forgot there were multiple rounds of Too Many Emperors
I think there were a couple more with just 3, but I think they escape notice because they didn't come at the end of such a notable dynasty (Julio-Claudian and Antonine, respectivel)

quote:

also that tweet is going to be stuck in my head for days

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Farty Crabcakes posted:

Well his name was Gaius Julius Cæsar Augustus Germanicus (Augustus coming after ascension). Even given the frequently insulting nature of Roman cognomens (Cæsar is among other things thought to be mocking the family tendency towards baldness, Cicero means chickpea, Brutus means "stupid-looking", Pulcher "pretty boy", etc) Caligula fuckin hated it and its usage in histories is another posthumous "gently caress you"

And fun fact: the Horace that started this thread of conversation deserted the battle at Phillipi and returned to Rome under amnesty. (His cognomen, Flaccus, well, I'm sure you can guess what it means but I'm not quite sure the context is the same. Also a patrician, which is surprisingly less common than you might think when it comes to portrayals of the period.)

diss culture run amok!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

This is perfect.

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

well-read undead posted:

diss culture run amok!

quote:

Pēdīcābō ego vōs et irrumābō
Aurēlī pathice et cinaede Fūrī,
quī mē ex versiculīs meīs putāstis
quod sunt molliculī, parum pudīcum.
Nam castum esse decet pium poētam
ipsum, versiculōs nihil necesse est
quī tum dēnique habent salem ac lepōrem
Sī sint molliculī ac parum pudīcī
et quod prūriat incitāre possint
nōn dīcō puerīs sed hīs pilōsīs
quī dūrōs nequeunt movēre lumbōs.
Vōs quod mīlia multa bāsiōrum
lēgistis male mē marem putātis?
Pēdīcābō ego vōs et irrumābō.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://twitter.com/HeheWaitWhut/status/1677458003472318465

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

catallus really had a way with words :allears:

my partner and i have been (slowly) teaching ourselves latin, but reading this is well beyond my grasp, so i had look it up, and funnily enough, she already had it open in a browser tab by total coincidence

also fun: out of curiosity i wanted to see what google translate would make of it and it translates the opening line as “I will follow you and I will visit you” lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Google Translate doesn't work with Latin. Like yes, they offer it as an option, but the output is so bad that it's really only good for getting an idea of what the text doesn't say.