Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HolHorsejob posted:

I see Erdoğan playing Putin at his own game (agreements are only valid until I have an opportunity to flagrantly break them, and you are weak for thinking otherwise)

The worst person you know, etc.

This is the whole game of Erdogan, though! Or perhaps more accurately, his game is "agreements are only valid until I want to catch your attention by flagrantly breaking them".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Erdogan occupies the same peripheral role that Putin does, with two caveats: Turkey is nominally weaker than Russia but Turkey is also tied to the West militarily. This means he pursues a different strategy than Putin while being very comparable to him.

Balancing between NATO and Russia has been Erdogan's game for the whole war, since Turkey is benefitting from re-exporting western goods to Russia while cannibalizing bits of Russia's ME and Caucasus influence. It's why he's holding off on Sweden's NATO membership: it gives him a great bargaining chip. The dial has just moved a little bit more towards NATO as Putin weakens.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Morrow posted:

Erdogan occupies the same peripheral role that Putin does, with two caveats: Turkey is nominally weaker than Russia but Turkey is also tied to the West militarily. This means he pursues a different strategy than Putin while being very comparable to him.

Balancing between NATO and Russia has been Erdogan's game for the whole war, since Turkey is benefitting from re-exporting western goods to Russia while cannibalizing bits of Russia's ME and Caucasus influence. It's why he's holding off on Sweden's NATO membership: it gives him a great bargaining chip. The dial has just moved a little bit more towards NATO as Putin weakens.

What I don't quite understand is how Sweden's Nato application is a better bargaining chip than Finland's. From a Russian perspective it seems like Finland is way more relevant than Sweden, what with the history and the border.

Is he holding up Sweden instead because our problems with for example islamophobia give him an excuse he lacks for Finland, or is he holding us up only because of that, with Russia not being a factor at all?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's likely to be less pressure on Erdogan to accept Sweden's application ASAP, precisely because of the fact that Finland as a NATO member is more important in the short term.

As for "reasons", Erdogan works exactly like Putin - he will conjure justifications out of thin air as long as he needs any, and by stringing Sweden along he can repeatedly try to extort concessions and look strong in the eyes of his supporters, without actually crippling NATO and piss off the other members too much (or any more than he already does).

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I guess the idea is that playing both sides is less appealing when one of those sides is clearly on the verge of collapse.

Which of those sides is clearly on the verge of collapse though? Economically Turkey is in a much, much worse state than Russia. The Turkish economy is an absolute dumpster fire, with Erdogan squeezing on lighter fluid, and they ran out of net foreign reserves recently. The Turkish lira is guaranteed to lose an additional 50-80% in the next two years, and it's already lost 80% in the past three years. If they had pegged their currency to the Euro before, they would be staring at a complete currency collapse like Lebanon did in 2019 because they maintained their USD peg way too long. Instead a slide of 95% over five years is probably just not-catastrophic-enough to result in a de facto euro-ization/dollarization of the economy. Already property in Turkey - even sold between Turkish residents - is *publicly* priced and sold in foreign currencies, and it has been for some time. (At least since 2021, but possibly way before this, I don't know.)

Erdogan needs to stay on the good side of both Russia and Europe, or rather continue his current line straddling of having both sides dislike, but not hate, him.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 8, 2023

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Ynglaur posted:

Former tank platoon leader and mechanized scout platoon leader. I've driven, fired, and commanded M1A1s (the "heavy" variant) in Korea, M1A2s in garrison in the States, and M3A2 (the cavalry version of the Bradley) in Iraq. I've also studied tactics, operations, military history, and military systems (mostly ground systems) since the mid-80s. I understand tactical logistics (convoys, logpacs, etc.), but operational logistics are a bit hand-wavey for me. Formal education is computer science, so pretty unlikely that any of the analytics shops would even glance at my resume, but I can generally read and understand their reports with good contextual understanding.

That’s all great but do you look good in booty shorts?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Saladman posted:

Which of those sides is clearly on the verge of collapse though? Economically Turkey is in a much, much worse state than Russia. The Turkish economy is an absolute dumpster fire, with Erdogan squeezing on lighter fluid, and they ran out of net foreign reserves recently. The Turkish lira is guaranteed to lose an additional 50-80% in the next two years, and it's already lost 80% in the past three years. If they had pegged their currency to the Euro before, they would be staring at a complete currency collapse like Lebanon did in 2019 because they maintained their USD peg way too long. Instead a slide of 95% over five years is probably just not-catastrophic-enough to result in a de facto euro-ization/dollarization of the economy. Already property in Turkey - even sold between Turkish residents - is *publicly* priced and sold in foreign currencies, and it has been for some time. (At least since 2021, but possibly way before this, I don't know.)

Erdogan needs to stay on the good side of both Russia and Europe, or rather continue his current line straddling of having both sides dislike, but not hate, him.

The two sides are Russia compared to NATO, I believe. And I think they don’t mean specifically economics.

They’re saying that Russia’s increased downward trend is making Turkey’s straddling more complicated, and this would be them kind of searching for new footing/balance to continue the metaphor. If you’re balancing on top of two piles, and one starts collapsing, you have to be ready to move your weight.

Hopefully I’m not putting too many words in another poster’s mouth.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Hey, while we're on the subject of Turkey, can we get a ban or probe lined up for this post?

Somaen posted:

Also seems like Erdogan is for Ukraine in NATO... Perfidious kebab...

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

fez_machine posted:

Hey, while we're on the subject of Turkey, can we get a ban or probe lined up for this post?

This is a ten dollar forum where it's cool to make fun of the Holodomor because there's an academic debate whether it's a genocide, a joking way to refer to Erdogan is several orders of magnitude way below that. Are you an american with a case of the leadbrains?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
yeah man nothing bad has been done by people explicitly referring to certain people as 'kebabs', you just have brainworms or something

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Can we get a better derail than this? What's everyone's favorite borscht recipe?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Phosphine posted:

What I don't quite understand is how Sweden's Nato application is a better bargaining chip than Finland's. From a Russian perspective it seems like Finland is way more relevant than Sweden, what with the history and the border.

Is he holding up Sweden instead because our problems with for example islamophobia give him an excuse he lacks for Finland, or is he holding us up only because of that, with Russia not being a factor at all?

I think the easiest explanation is that Erdogan just really personally hates Sweden. I was hoping that his hostility would be just posturing for the election a few months back, but alas, it wasn't.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Chalks posted:

The relationship between Turkey and Russia is fascinating

Basically bending over backwards to give them a pass on this

I think it's the desire to avoid acknowledging that everyone is dunking on them because of how badly they hosed up.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

Can we get a better derail than this? What's everyone's favorite borscht recipe?

Borscht should have the beets in it, not just be a clear soup. Oh and sour cream is an essential add. Poles, go ahead and fight me :colbert:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Phosphine posted:

He was gifted a can of surströmming in 2004 and never recovered.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Mederlock posted:

Borscht should have the beets in it, not just be a clear soup. Oh and sour cream is an essential add. Poles, go ahead and fight me :colbert:

I don't think any would, but they would be mad that you didn't add dill.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I want to love beets because they are healthy but they taste like satan's butthole so

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Somaen posted:

This is a ten dollar forum where it's cool to make fun of the Holodomor because there's an academic debate whether it's a genocide, a joking way to refer to Erdogan is several orders of magnitude way below that. Are you an american with a case of the leadbrains?

Lmao

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
For those defending the use of cluster munitions because it's a useful tool in fighting a war of national liberation- are there are any sorts of tools that you consider indefensible in that pursuit? Where is your line drawn in terms of weaponry or tactics?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jon posted:

For those defending the use of cluster munitions because it's a useful tool in fighting a war of national liberation- are there are any sorts of tools that you consider indefensible in that pursuit? Where is your line drawn in terms of weaponry or tactics?

Anything that can be considered lethal, such as sharp edges or explosive things.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mederlock posted:

This is how all the Polish people I know make borscht. :confused:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Frank Frank posted:

I want to love beets because they are healthy but they taste like satan's butthole so

I have a foodie cousin from California who had reached adulthood without ever having had a pickled beet. So I made some, and after a couple days of pickling, I offered her one. She said "This tastes like vinegar and dirt" I said "I know, Right?!?". But she said it like it was a bad thing.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Anything that can be considered lethal, such as sharp edges or explosive things.

No one in the thread is suggesting pacifism from what I've read- not sure what interpreting a question in bad faith adds to the discussion. Are there limitations to tools of war that you agree with?

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Jon posted:

This entire argument is incredibly stupid; weapons that cause collateral damage after initial impact are already in use - mines, artillery shells, bombs, missiles; basically anything explosive becomes UXO and due to the amount being used, meaning the % increase from cluster munitions is miniscule. The land is already hosed beyond belief, even if these cluster munitions werent used, and is going to require zones setup to prevent people entering them until its cleaned up.

There are still zones in Europe like zone rouge in france that people cant go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_rouge Guess what? Children dont go there and pick up bombs, because the area is well known and the people are educated on the territory and the history of why it happened, the same thing that will happen in Ukraine once Russia is expelled through force, with the help of cluster munitions.

The cluster munitions sent are terrible loving weapons, which only exist because terrible loving people cant stop killing others for personal gain. Blame Russia for starting a war for conquest, which has used cluster munitions the entire time, from Afganistan to Syria to Ukraine.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Jon posted:

Now I don't want to downplay the lethality of unexploded ordinance, but most kinds of chemical weapons are going to linger in the soil and groundwater for a lot longer so I would consider that a red line.

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 9, 2023

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

bad boys for life posted:

This entire argument is incredibly stupid; weapons that cause collateral damage after initial impact are already in use - mines, artillery shells, bombs, missiles; basically anything explosive becomes UXO and due to the amount being used, meaning the % increase from cluster munitions is miniscule. The land is already hosed beyond belief, even if these cluster munitions werent used, and is going to require zones setup to prevent people entering them until its cleaned up.

There are still zones in Europe like zone rouge in france that people cant go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_rouge Guess what? Children dont go there and pick up bombs, because the area is well known and the people are educated on the territory and the history of why it happened, the same thing that will happen in Ukraine once Russia is expelled through force, with the help of cluster munitions.

The cluster munitions sent are terrible loving weapons, which only exist because terrible loving people cant stop killing others for personal gain. Blame Russia for starting a war for conquest, which has used cluster munitions the entire time, from Afganistan to Syria to Ukraine.

You avoided the question, though- are there weapons you think would cause *too much* collateral damage? Is there a limit to the weapons you would prefer to see utilized in the defense of Ukraine?

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Jon posted:

You avoided the question, though- are there weapons you think would cause *too much* collateral damage? Is there a limit to the weapons you would prefer to see utilized in the defense of Ukraine?

Because your question is nonsense. Collateral damage to who? Soldiers? Civilians? Space aliens?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah funny how suddenly cluster weapons are the worst thing to be introduced into this conflict when it's the US supplying new ones to Ukraine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jon posted:

No one in the thread

How do you know? You just came here.

And I already answered your question.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Because your question is nonsense. Collateral damage to who? Soldiers? Civilians? Space aliens?

So chemical warfare? Nuclear weaponry? 'Are there any limits to the tools you would want utilized in the defense of Ukraine' is not a nonsense question, it's just one that you seem unable to answer.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Nenonen posted:

How do you know? You just came here.
I've been lurking for about fifteen years.

Nenonen posted:

And I already answered your question.
You gave a flippant answer that wasn't in good faith.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Alright, fine, here you go: Ukraine should be provided with every weapon system that they ask for and can reasonably be expected to field. If they asked for NBC weapons then yeah, that would probably raise a few eyebrows but guess what; the Ukrainians aren't insane.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jon posted:

I've been lurking for about fifteen years.

You gave a flippant answer that wasn't in good faith.

You're not in good faith.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Jon posted:

So chemical warfare? Nuclear weaponry? 'Are there any limits to the tools you would want utilized in the defense of Ukraine' is not a nonsense question, it's just one that you seem unable to answer.

No one in this entire thread has justified nuclear or chemical weapons - you brought up collateral damage due to cluster munitions, and are now trying to compare conventional explosives to chemical and nuclear weapons to get some kind of moral high ground.

Cluster munitions are meant to spread out to cause damage across an area - they are literally mean to cause collateral damage to enemy armies.

These are in no loving way close to chemical or nuclear weapons. You are trying to make a false equivalency.

People defending the use of cluster munitions are so far from chemical and nuclear weapons that your argument is laughable.

If you dont understand the difference between using cluster munitions on a battlefield where they are already in use to chemical and nuclear weapons, then you are not worth arguing with.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
russia has been firing cluster bombs into civilian areas literally since the opening salvo of the war so the calculus of how to minimize collateral damage to civilians from cluster munitions is going to really heavily emphasize removing russia from Ukrainian territory

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Jon posted:

Weapons which have consequences outside the borders of Ukraine would need to be carefully considered. Consequences could include unacceptable levels of risk should a weapon fall into the wrong hands. This probably means no tactical nuclear weapons would make sense, and probably many chemical weapons would need to be held back as well.
For consequences within the borders of Ukraine, that risk/benefit is for the democratically elected popularly supported leaders of Ukraine to decide.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

No one in this entire thread has justified nuclear or chemical weapons

Two posts above this someone said that Ukraine should be given Nuclear, Biological or Chemical weaponry if they asked for it. The reason I asked the question that I did was because the reasoning in defense of cluster munitions could easily apply to NBC weaponry, and clearly for some folks that's accurate and consistent.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jon posted:

Nukes, chemical weapons, biological agents, white phosphorus. Cluster bombs other than on trench networks and airfields not immediately adjacent to civilian areas.

The best borscht I've had was at the now-closed Prince Street Cafe in Manhattan. Had the beets, had the sour cream, had brisket and pork shoulder, was amazing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I really wish I liked cooking borscht as much as I like eating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Jon posted:

Two posts above this someone said that Ukraine should be given Nuclear, Biological or Chemical weaponry if they asked for it. The reason I asked the question that I did was because the reasoning in defense of cluster munitions could easily apply to NBC weaponry, and clearly for some folks that's accurate and consistent.

That's not what I said and you know it but okay, let's turn this around: are you legitimately worried that Ukraine is going to ask for weapons of mass destruction and be provided them? Or are you Just Asking Questions?