Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

stephenthinkpad posted:

When a peg is loose, it doesn't stay the folding upright angle, its very hard to use it as a peg. Like if it rotates 90 degree or 180 drgree, its useless. Unless a peg has two holes to secure its angle and the bike frame has to two holes, which I have never seen on a run of the mile ebike.

We've got a radwagon 4, which is why I was posting rad accessories. The pegs mount into a square mount, which means they're unable to rotate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I got my Tern Quick Haul in September last year, and after using it rain or shine (though mostly shine) 5-6 times a week, the controller died and power cut out maybe 30s into a ride.
I have been testing intermittently since, and sometimes I can see the LCD screen power up, and then show the OFF lettering before turning back off. Each time I turn it on, the battery comes on (the LED charge indicator lights up like normal), so there's still some electronic life in there. It rained on me a couple times in the past week, once pretty heavily. The layout of the parts seems pretty weatherized to me, and I imagine Bosch tested these things endlessly, but I still suspect water.

Unfortunately, with the busy summer cycling season, the local Tern dealer can't look at it til 7/8.
I'll keep using it without a battery, with conveniently long daylight right now.
Once I turn it in, I'll have to dust off the old cargo bike.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Saw this baby at work today.

What? WEIRD BIKE has evolved!

It is now WEIRD DIY SOLAR BIKE!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Thats a loving giant panel. You probably can get the sun to do most of the work.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

stephenthinkpad posted:

Thats a loving giant panel. You probably can get the sun to do most of the work.

Yeah my boss started getting into solar bikes when he decided to cross the whole US with one. Since then he's been into The Sun Trip races https://www.thesuntrip.com/

The bike has a throttle and no speed limit. It's completely unregulatory and nobody will insure him but it looks rad.

His previous bike:

On of his challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGzYe06Acbk

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I love to watch those Sun Trip videos. I love tran-eurasia blogging videos of all kind. There was an UK kid who rode around eurasia on a monocycle.

Although not a fan of the lay down bike. You just lose so much visibility. I know its more aerodynamic but you lose the top up angle of seeing the scenery and the bike is heavier.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 29, 2023

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Oh man this is so cool, how have I never heard about this. Do they need modified controllers to allow charging while in use?

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

kimbo305 posted:

I got my Tern Quick Haul in September last year, and after using it rain or shine (though mostly shine) 5-6 times a week, the controller died and power cut out maybe 30s into a ride.
I have been testing intermittently since, and sometimes I can see the LCD screen power up, and then show the OFF lettering before turning back off. Each time I turn it on, the battery comes on (the LED charge indicator lights up like normal), so there's still some electronic life in there. It rained on me a couple times in the past week, once pretty heavily. The layout of the parts seems pretty weatherized to me, and I imagine Bosch tested these things endlessly, but I still suspect water.

Unfortunately, with the busy summer cycling season, the local Tern dealer can't look at it til 7/8.
I'll keep using it without a battery, with conveniently long daylight right now.
Once I turn it in, I'll have to dust off the old cargo bike.

Have you tried charging the computer via the usb port? I didn't realize I needed to charge it on my HSD until it popped up saying "charge computer" or something like that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

Have you tried charging the computer via the usb port? I didn't realize I needed to charge it on my HSD until it popped up saying "charge computer" or something like that.

Which controller do you have? Afaik, the Purion takes coin batteries. I did test swap, but to no change in behavior.

E: Someone also suggested looking at the plugs under the plastic motor housing. Those looked good. The potential for wires to fray against the metal cradle frame makes me nervous, especially with how much pulling in the harnesses on the outside of the cradle can shif the wiring around.

It's been two days of daycare commute plus extra few-mile rides, and my legs sadly feel the difference. Otoh, it's nice to actually have to really put the power down, instead of having the motor assist so much that you're at max safe speeds before you've really wound up the legs.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 30, 2023

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Interesting, I have the Bosch Purion and all I did was plug the USB into my laptop for a few hours and the "Charge Display" stopped popping up. :shrug:

After my courtesy tune up I haven't taken my bike into the shop and have done all the maintenance myself, it's probably about time to pony up the cash to have some professionals look over my bike.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Holy poo poo I threw a Brooks B33 saddle on my Gazelle and it is so comfortable.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

Interesting, I have the Bosch Purion and all I did was plug the USB into my laptop for a few hours and the "Charge Display" stopped popping up. :shrug:

From Tern's docs:
https://www.ternbicycles.com/en/support/kb/348025/bosch-purion-display-settings

quote:

How do you change the Purion display's battery?
The Purion display doesn't run off of power from your e-bike's battery. Instead, it has two CR2016 coin cell batteries that need to be changed periodically.

Can you use the Purion display's micro-USB port to charge devices?
The Purion display's micro-USB port does not offer any functionality to the bike's owner, and can't be used to charge a phone or other device.

Maybe the coin batteries got topped off a tiny bit from the USB being plugged in? I didn't know that could happen with normal non-rechargeable batteries.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

From Tern's docs:
https://www.ternbicycles.com/en/support/kb/348025/bosch-purion-display-settings

Maybe the coin batteries got topped off a tiny bit from the USB being plugged in? I didn't know that could happen with normal non-rechargeable batteries.

Most coin cell batteries are rechargeable on a technical level, you just usually shouldn’t do that because unless you manage it carefully because they’re not designed for it and overcharging them is a good way to make little explosions that release extremely toxic smoke. So this is plausible if the circuit isn’t designed very well.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Huh that's news to me. I've had my ebike about a year. I wonder how long they're expected to last.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
It may have just been an extra cold day when I got the battery warning. I wonder why the display can't just run on the main battery, voltage difference?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

It may have just been an extra cold day when I got the battery warning. I wonder why the display can't just run on the main battery, voltage difference?

Without a backup battery, it'd lose settings/mileage every time you pulled the main battery out. And it'd cost a chunk more to have electronics to use both sources.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
That makes sense, I guess I'll pick up some batteries to have on hand.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Safety Dance posted:

Holy poo poo I threw a Brooks B33 saddle on my Gazelle and it is so comfortable.

Brooks saddles are always the right move

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Any recommendations for a light step through e-bike? For someone who is older and thus would have trouble lifting a heavier bike/getting their leg high enough to go over a non step through frame. I think they’d like something with pretty wide tires (eg 50c or something), and a more upright riding position. Are there any good candidates?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've now tried a Selle Anatomica H2, a Brooks B17, and a Rivet Pearl and finally concluded that the apparent holy grail of endurance saddles don't work for my rear end.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

tildes posted:

Any recommendations for a light step through e-bike? For someone who is older and thus would have trouble lifting a heavier bike/getting their leg high enough to go over a non step through frame. I think they’d like something with pretty wide tires (eg 50c or something), and a more upright riding position. Are there any good candidates?

Bikes from the mainstream bike brands like Specialized, Trek, and Giant tend to be lighter than basically all of the ebikes startups. Maybe something like this Giant brand?

https://www.momentum-biking.com/us/transend-eplus-lds-28mph

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

My mom just got a specialized turbo vado SL step through that seems pretty nice. The SL has a smaller motor and battery than the other variations. It's something like 33 lbs, lighter than the low end trek MTB she was riding.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Finally decided to take a long bike ride around a lake today, about 1/4th of the way through my ride the motor started making a grinding or slipping sound, now I am waiting to get picked up after pushing the bike to a parking lot which was thankfully not too terribly far.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Any opinions or experience with Bulls as an ebike manufacturer? My wife test rode an Iconic Evo TR1 750 and really loved it. It's more money than I was hoping to spend and in a form factor I didn't expect her to like so I hadn't done much research into it.

It's just a regular Bosch motor (performance line CX smart system) though and Shimano Deore gearing, and a really huge battery, so it seems like it would be pretty serviceable if anything went wrong in the future.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 5, 2023

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Rip sondors bike battery. Lasted just a handful of rides before refusing to charge.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

raggedphoto posted:

Yeah my only slight regret with my GSD is not getting the belt drive, last winter I was doing ever other day service on the chain and it needed to be replaced after only 4 months of ownership. I since upgraded the chain but I am still probably looking at 2 chains a year.
That's been our experience as well. 1 change in spring when they remove the road grit, one through the winter when it's stretched to poo poo.

Gates belts are loving awesome, and when you need 2 chains every change like on the GSD they practically pay for themselves.

Grumpwagon posted:

It's just a regular Bosch motor (performance line CX smart system) though and Shimano Deore gearing, and a really huge battery, so it seems like it would be pretty serviceable if anything went wrong in the future.
That's a decent combo TBH. Our GHD has this and it's fine.

stephenthinkpad posted:

If your bike has holes to install running boards, get the board.
Yeah they're much nicer. They'll provide some protection if you lowside, and you can remove the board from the frames and tow bikes.

kimbo305 posted:

That's a bummer, and frankly unacceptable they can't service a bike they sold for an entire month.

kimbo305 posted:

Without a backup battery, it'd lose settings/mileage every time you pulled the main battery out. And it'd cost a chunk more to have electronics to use both sources.
what? they make non-volatile memory, I'm pretty sure.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 6, 2023

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

Rip sondors bike battery. Lasted just a handful of rides before refusing to charge.

Turns out the battery is fine and the software just glitched when I charged the battery wrong. Seems like that’s a thing

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
How do you charge the battery wrong? With a 220v outlet?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

How do you charge the battery wrong? With a 220v outlet?

Apparently the only correct way to do it is first to shut off the bike computer, then the battery, and to plug in the charger to the battery before plugging it into the wall. I think I left the battery on and the charger plugged into the wall.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rated PG-34 posted:

Apparently the only correct way to do it is first to shut off the bike computer, then the battery, and to plug in the charger to the battery before plugging it into the wall. I think I left the battery on and the charger plugged into the wall.

You monster!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

That's a crime against ergonomics WTF

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rated PG-34 posted:

My Current bike won't charge when its powered up. My old bike can charge whenever.

But what do you mean "then the battery", the battery has a power switch independent of the bike switch?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

stephenthinkpad posted:

But what do you mean "then the battery", the battery has a power switch independent of the bike switch?

That not terribly unusual, I don't think. My battery has three states: on/locked to the bike, locked to the bike but no power, and unlocked/power off.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

My Current bike won't charge when its powered up. My old bike can charge whenever.

Yes. I didn’t know until I called tech support actually

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/10/23785871/rad-power-bikes-uk-europe-shut-down-ebike

This feels like a really bad sign if Rad Power is fully leaving the European market. Was their stuff not as competitive there? Regulatory environment is somehow worse? Company is struggling to stay afloat in general?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

news posted:

...And the wrongful death suit, in which the parents of a 12-year-old girl who died after falling off the back of a RadRunner utility bike are suing the company for negligence, highlighted the lack of regulations for the fast-growing e-bike industry in the US.

Jeez. 12 year old is a big kid. I wonder what happened. Those radwagon can only go up to 20mph. My coworker has the exact same bike.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

Jeez. 12 year old is a big kid. I wonder what happened. Those radwagon can only go up to 20mph. My coworker has the exact same bike.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-08-05/e-bike-crash-death-daughter-manufacturer-to-blame-rad-power-bikes

It's a sad one. Riding a big heavy bike with a passenger is tricky. It sounds like they bombed a hill and crashed while going fast, didn't necessarily have anything to do with the e-bike ness.

I will say that Rad brakes are really lovely and need constant adjustment and/or a lot of force. I've done one emergency stop when someone pulled out in front of me with kids on board going down a hill and they have plenty of tire but single piston mechanical brakes are a pretty subpar solution on a 100lb bicycle + 100 lbs of passenger + 150+ lbs of rider.

quote:

“Part of their appeal is they take you places you wouldn’t normally be able to go, which includes uphill,” said Olivier Taillieu, the lawyer who filed suit for the Steinsapirs.

It sucks rediscovering that bicycles can be dangerous. Bicycles with passengers are heavier and more dangerous too, it's probably not a good idea to let a kid pilot anything with another passenger at speed. I wouldn't let a kid captain a tandem, either.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 10, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

quote:

Several states, including California, have passed laws prohibiting children under the age of 16 from operating e-bikes.

Lol I had no idea. It's an ebike summer renaissance for middle school kids around here.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a42690937/molly-steinsapir-lawsuit-rad-power-electric-bike/

hosed up case. Grieving and probably negligent parents are also both lawyers. In the story they give permission to the kids to ride an older sibling's ebike, and they would presumably know about the local terrain (sustained 14% grade). Nothing specific seems to point to Rad being at fault but as has been pointed out here, they are cheap junk bikes and the company hasn't shied away from kids using them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I can agree that the brakes on my Rad are functional but not particularly amazing. I don't run into any issues but I pretty much only ride in something resembling ideal conditions. I guess this is one way to get me thinking about a replacement! :v: