Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Don't forget there's a Pikmin 4 Tetris 99 theme this weekend. It's a really nice theme. I noticed I missed both 23 and 25 (both Kirby themes) and that they didn't do a TotK one interestingly enough. I hope they'll put some of old ones for 'sale' again.

Won in 4 matches despite not doing Tetris in a bit. I've slowed down a bit but it's like riding a bike. Got top 30 twice and made it to 5th and 11th otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cum jabbar posted:

We need a New Donk City track

I really just want this for New York City and New Donk City to be in the same game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How did I forget to play Mario odyssey

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I exclusively use Labo when I'm on a flight.

Ok, this got a sensible chuckle out of me, thanks for that.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
don't eat the yellow pikmin

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

hatty posted:

Yeah as long as it’s your primary switch
Brilliant, thanks Hatty.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Blasphemous 2 is out next month let's fuckin goooo

Good timing too. I'm gonna face Ganondorf and take his rear end today once I farm a few sundelions. Then I'll go back and complete the billion side quests shrines roots etc that I still need

I gotta finish the compendium too! A month should be enough time I hope. Currently at 110 shrines completed

What a great god drat game

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 8, 2023

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It's called F-Zero because Zero people want a new one

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

F

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Don't forget there's a Pikmin 4 Tetris 99 theme this weekend. It's a really nice theme. I noticed I missed both 23 and 25 (both Kirby themes) and that they didn't do a TotK one interestingly enough. I hope they'll put some of old ones for 'sale' again.

Won in 4 matches despite not doing Tetris in a bit. I've slowed down a bit but it's like riding a bike. Got top 30 twice and made it to 5th and 11th otherwise.

How much Tetris have you played? I made it to top 50 once and thought I did well

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

trevorreznik posted:

How much Tetris have you played? I made it to top 50 once and thought I did well

In my life A LOT. Recently not so much. I’ve gotten first in 3 separate occasions by just having good fundamentals. I don’t bother much with the targeting thing. I was playing handheld too which tends to slow me down a bit too.

Tetris is a top 5 greatest of all time for me if it’s not top 3.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It's called F-Zero because Zero people want a new one

:eyepop:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

F, Zero, because those are the kinds of ratings it would get

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Rain Code trip report. I’m enjoying it more than when I first started, although I thought chapter 3 was a bit weak.

The stakes are escalating nicely and it feels familiar but distinct from dang ol ron paul. Shinigami has grown on me a bit but she’s still kinda grating especially with the horny anime trope type stuff. I knew what I was getting into with this dev though.

There’s not much to do besides sidequests, but having all these full environments to wander around gives it a nice sense of place.

I think my biggest complaint is it’s particularly handholdy. They practically smack you in the face with the correct answer if you get something wrong and it’s impossible to outright fail with the skills you get along the way.

The load times are killing me. I sincerely wish it was multi platform from the get.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is rain code made by the Dagonrompa people?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Is rain code made by the Dagonrompa people?

Yes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

man nurse posted:

I think my biggest complaint is it’s particularly handholdy. They practically smack you in the face with the correct answer if you get something wrong and it’s impossible to outright fail with the skills you get along the way.
This is true but the hangman's gambit in this game is also instant game over (restart from checkpoint) if you fail. All they have to do is give you a free letter for the 5+ letter ones and it would be fun!!!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

100YrsofAttitude posted:

In my life A LOT. Recently not so much. I’ve gotten first in 3 separate occasions by just having good fundamentals. I don’t bother much with the targeting thing. I was playing handheld too which tends to slow me down a bit too.

Tetris is a top 5 greatest of all time for me if it’s not top 3.

I think it's the greatest game ever made and nothing is even close. It's one of the most intuitive yet has stayed exciting for almost 4 full decades. I'm just not that good at it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

F Zero Rammers will be a Switch 2 launch title next spring.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
F Zero has lasted longer than Street Fighter 2

I think it's finally time for F One

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Why is the final fantasy pixel collection so god damned expensive?
I have never played a final fantasy game but saw someone on Reddit I think it was (maybe a few pages back here) say they just picked it up. Is this just the artificial scarcity thing run amok?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

no it's because Final Fantasy whips rear end

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

otter posted:

Why is the final fantasy pixel collection so god damned expensive?
I have never played a final fantasy game but saw someone on Reddit I think it was (maybe a few pages back here) say they just picked it up. Is this just the artificial scarcity thing run amok?

They're $20 which is pretty much the standard for that kind of thing now. They actually change/adjust a whole lot so they're not just straight ports.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

ImpAtom posted:

They're $20 which is pretty much the standard for that kind of thing now. They actually change/adjust a whole lot so they're not just straight ports.

$20 each. $80 for the collection on the game card. Sounds like it might be worthwhile if they are all worth playing?
Assuming it’s a better experience than throwing the roms on the ol analogue pocket.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'd say 4 5 and 6 are worth $20, the first three are not, though they are still much better than playing the originals, or the notoriously bad DS remake of 3

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The odds of a new F-Zero is extremely tiny unless some third party studio convinces Nintendo to let them do it. Nintendo isn't going to do it themselves because anyone who wants to do so has to be able to, at the very least, explain why Nintendo should spend dev resources on a game for a series that doesn't sell especially well when those resources could be spent on making more DLC for MK8DX, the highest selling* game in the company's history. Or, more realistically, working on Mario Kart 9 for the eventual Switch successor.

* Wii Sports doesn't count because they include the copies that were included with the console as sales (like the did with Mario 1).

otter posted:

I’ve started playing phantasy star ii every few years since like1993 and still haven’t made it very far. My brother beat ps4 back in the day and I remember it being a huge deal.

PS4 was a huge deal if for no other reason than it wasn't a steaming pile of garbage like PS3. It also had pretty good music, especially for a Genesis game.

icantfindaname posted:

I'd say 4 5 and 6 are worth $20, the first three are not, though they are still much better than playing the originals, or the notoriously bad DS remake of 3

FF3PR is hands down the best/only way you should play FF3 and is worth playing in general. It still has a few goofy mechanics like HP being set based on your class when you level, so leveling everyone as vikings or even as black belts means your casters can have a lot more HP than they would otherwise. The final dungeon isn't nearly as awful in FF3PR either. FF3DS, like FF4DS, is just a garbage version of the game and the worst version to play.

FF1PR is fine as well. FF2PR is flat out inferior in every way to the PSP/GBA version that they pulled from mobile (along with the FF1 PSP version) when they released the PR versions. At least in that version of FF2 you got to kill the emperor in Heaven and Hell instead of just Hell. :black101:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I hate being an adult so much

I want to play more Zelda. I beat Ganon
I wanna do shrines and farm zonatile all day tomorrow but that's not gonna loving happen

:(

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

KingSlime posted:

I hate being an adult so much

I want to play more Zelda. I beat Ganon
I wanna do shrines and farm zonatile all day tomorrow but that's not gonna loving happen

:(

Why not?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

The odds of a new F-Zero is extremely tiny unless some third party studio convinces Nintendo to let them do it. Nintendo isn't going to do it themselves because anyone who wants to do so has to be able to, at the very least, explain why Nintendo should spend dev resources on a game for a series that doesn't sell especially well when those resources could be spent on making more DLC for MK8DX, the highest selling* game in the company's history. Or, more realistically, working on Mario Kart 9 for the eventual Switch successor.
This is the truth, but it won't stop me from being cranky. At this point it's more that I'm annoyed they haven't tried to do anything with it then I'm absolutely dying for more F-Zero?

Like "why should they spend effort on something that doesn't sell particularly well (GX sold about as well as Pikmin 1)" ends up being a bit of a silly quesiton cause it can devolve into "Why are they making things that are not more open world zeldas" but less ridiculous then that questions become "Why Donkey Kong platformers if Mario outsells it" (which might be happening already) or "Why do a Advance Wars re-release instead of a Fire Emblem one?"

It'd be nice to at least get a remaster/touch up of F-Zero GX.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I think a 1080p/ 60fps GX with online would placate most people. That game looks great on Dolphin still.

With Mario Kart also integrating antigrav and 200CC, it's kind of stepped on the FZero racing niche in a lot of ways unfortunately.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

F-zero needs to be destroyed to make way for the actually good overlooked Nintendo Racing game.

Kirby Air Ride

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

FF3PR is hands down the best/only way you should play FF3 and is worth playing in general. It still has a few goofy mechanics like HP being set based on your class when you level, so leveling everyone as vikings or even as black belts means your casters can have a lot more HP than they would otherwise. The final dungeon isn't nearly as awful in FF3PR either. FF3DS, like FF4DS, is just a garbage version of the game and the worst version to play.

FF1PR is fine as well. FF2PR is flat out inferior in every way to the PSP/GBA version that they pulled from mobile (along with the FF1 PSP version) when they released the PR versions. At least in that version of FF2 you got to kill the emperor in Heaven and Hell instead of just Hell. :black101:

4 DS is bad too? I thought it was just 3

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Sam Faust posted:

F-zero needs to be destroyed to make way for the actually good overlooked Nintendo Racing game.

Kirby Air Ride

That's a weird way to misspell 'Wave Race'

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Sam Faust posted:

Kirby Air Ride

Just release a standalone $20 city trial mode and I'm sold.

(For those of you who had "City Trial brought up within 30 seconds of a Kirby Air Ride reference on your bingo card, drink!)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

icantfindaname posted:

I don't think the DS remake of FF4 has the same flaws as FF3DS - the overtuned random encounters to compensate for the fact that they couldn't put more than three enemies in a battle at a time, and it doesn't have the class change stat penalty in a game that forces you to change up your classes frequently - but IIRC it's just ball-bustingly hard, like random encounters can and will wipe you if you're not careful.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

4 DS is fine, but in many respects, it feels like a romhack of the original.
The enemies are even more wildly over-tuned than they were in the original, dragons especially are horrible to fight (flame and frost hounds are notorious in both for a reason).
Most of the bosses have very unpleasant counters to strategies that worked in the original I.E. the obvious ones, it almost feels designed for people who played through the original instead of newcomers.
The worst case is a boss near the end has a character that gives you bad advice in the remake, it'll get you killed very quickly.
No idea if the ports changed the In-battle dialogue for that.
The augments are neat, and help turn the tide in your favor but the method of gaining them can be obtuse.
However every port since the DS version has an easier difficulty that can sand off the worst of the changes and I personally like the soundtrack remixes, story additions and voice acting.
I feel that it's better to have played the original version before the DS one to get the most out of it, but the aforementioned things aside, it's a decent remake.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 9, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

otter posted:

Why not?

arrested for vague posting

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

trevorreznik posted:

I think it's the greatest game ever made and nothing is even close. It's one of the most intuitive yet has stayed exciting for almost 4 full decades. I'm just not that good at it

It may sound reductive but my advice for 99 is just clear lines. I know people who do Tetrises or try for t-spins but generally if you can just clear the board fast enough you can get pretty far. Keep the attack thing on random and you can often go below peoples radar. I find that I usually get a solid challenge around 50 or but if I clear fast enough they’ll either let up or even lose to me. After that you can just sneak on through.

A good controller helps too. The snes controller is so good for Tetris. You can’t choose who you target but that d-pad is perfect.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

otter posted:

Why not?

Social and work obligations mostly

WWLK

What would Link do

Quantum of Phallus posted:

arrested for vague posting

Not really interesting just gotta get poo poo done on Sunday! I love totk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

KingSlime posted:

Not really interesting just gotta get poo poo done on Sunday! I love totk
That’s the worst.
I cleaned the garage today and it sucked rear end.
It doesn’t look much better or different but I removed half a giant recycle bin of cardboard boxes, a contractor bag of trash, and took stuff to goodwill. Then I set up my Pandoras Box arcade stick and played street fighter alpha 2 and nba jam.