Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol won't fit a modern truck/SUV

e: just noticed it is a shipping container and widowless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i dont even understand why you'd do that poo poo. shotgun houses already loving exist and they're probably cheaper to build

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Peanut President posted:

i dont even understand why you'd do that poo poo. shotgun houses already loving exist and they're probably cheaper to build

https://twitter.com/scottdavisCRE/status/1677405522998206464?s=20

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

why would anybody buy that. that’s smaller and more expensive than most of the apartment listings in my neighborhood, which is supposedly one of the most inaccessibly pricy areas in the country and not the middle of nowhere like that appears to be

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Mr. Sharps posted:

why would anybody buy that. that’s smaller and more expensive than most of the apartment listings in my neighborhood, which is supposedly one of the most inaccessibly pricy areas in the country and not the middle of nowhere like that appears to be

Where are you and what are 1 bedroom apartment rents? These seem kind of small and stupid until you realize they are cheaper than apartments.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mr. Sharps posted:

People will pay an enormous premium for detached or even semi-detached housing.

In my are of San Diego stuff like this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1601-Madison-Ave-San-Diego-CA-92116/81959669_zpid/ will sell for six digits more than a larger condo in a multi unit building.

mystes
May 31, 2006

There's absolutely no issue with small houses they should just be built as something like cottage courts which loving rule rather than inefficiently avoiding any common spaces like the plague to copy the worst aspects of american suburbs just so they can look like a fisher price my first single family home

Also they shouldn't require driving/car ownership because it's a massive waste of space to have to devote space for cars for really small houses

mystes has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Jul 8, 2023

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Twerk from Home posted:

Where are you and what are 1 bedroom apartment rents? These seem kind of small and stupid until you realize they are cheaper than apartments.

I’m moving into a 1 bedroom soon in seattle, 15 min walk from downtown, would have to live there for nearly a decade to equal the price of the larger of those two homes and the apartment is 100 sqft bigger

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Mr. Sharps posted:

I’m moving into a 1 bedroom soon in seattle, 15 min walk from downtown, would have to live there for nearly a decade to equal the price of the larger of those two homes and the apartment is 100 sqft bigger

That's wild, I'm in Nashville and the floor on lovely 1 bedroom apartments in newer places is around $1700/mo with many around 2k/mo.

Austin area is similarly insane, I still have friends there. My brother in law is renting a place smaller than those houses for $1660/mo an hour out of town.

What you're telling me is that Seattle rentals are pretty reasonably priced compared to elsewhere in the US.

A mortgage calculator tells me that even at 7% interest the payment on the bigger of those places would be around $950/mo, assuming you have a down payment.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why didn't they mount them up high in the first place

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

actionjackson posted:

you got the looneys and twoneys to pay for it, buddy?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

actionjackson posted:

lmao first thing i thought of

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

shoulda done what China does and put them on overhead gantries :china:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rode my bike today

This is my longest ride yet since the injury back in April. It's good to be back.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'd freak the gently caress out about new development because the only things that are being built these days are horrible awful five over ones or some sort of farmhouse style mcmansion bullshit. Literally no one is building actual new housing for honest working folks we just gotta squat in the ruins of the old

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Every single five over one should be burned and nothing would be lost

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

uh the remainder is clearly 5 for every operation of 5/1

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

What's bad about them?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rode my bike today

This is my longest ride yet since the injury back in April. It's good to be back.

Excellent, nice elevation gain. I've gotten used to biking in the Midwest again so it's always like 40 km distance, 3 m gain.

I was out biking today, got to a cross street and there was a funeral going by, so I turned around, went the other way, and almost got hit by a driver who blew a stop sign. He just shrugged as he went by... and got caught by the same funeral, so I went over and yelled at him. Felt good.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rode my bike today

Rochallor posted:

Excellent, nice elevation gain. I've gotten used to biking in the Midwest again so it's always like 40 km distance, 3 m gain.

I was out biking today, got to a cross street and there was a funeral going by, so I turned around, went the other way, and almost got hit by a driver who blew a stop sign. He just shrugged as he went by... and got caught by the same funeral, so I went over and yelled at him. Felt good.

hell yeah biking long distances. glad to hear you're back up and running after the injury

i was invited to a friend's birthday party like 60km away yesterday and decided what the hell, I'll bike there instead of taking the train like I normally would.

planned the route the night before and ended up sticking pretty close to the train line so I could bail out if I got tired or had a mechanical fault. there was some nice separated bike infrastructure here and there but it was mostly sharrows and a few really dicey 8-lane intersections. the crosswind was pretty strong too which didn't help

fell down once when trying to stop and take a photo because I didn't realize the curb cutout had a big lip to it until it was too late :mad:

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 03:57 on Jul 9, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

What's bad about them?

Never affordable, poor quality construction, ugly, always

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

skill issue, don’t blame the noble building, the problem as always is capitalism

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

"Never affordable" is an interesting take when they are the cost cut, cheapest thing we're capable of building.

5 over 1s are the cheapest new rental housing we can build. If your complaint is that it costs more to rent than a 50 year old apartment, then yes, of course it does. We can't build new 50 year old buildings.

5 over 1s are saving us from even higher rents than we currently have.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

"Never affordable" is an interesting take when they are the cost cut, cheapest thing we're capable of building.

5 over 1s are the cheapest new rental housing we can build. If your complaint is that it costs more to rent than a 50 year old apartment, then yes, of course it does. We can't build new 50 year old buildings.

5 over 1 about two miles from me

As with all 5 over 1s, the street level retail is empty

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah the apartments in them still cost $fuckyou to rent, with the added bonus of the buildings being poorly-built garbage that burns down at the slightest provocation and resists damp about as well as cardboard (because that's basically what they're made of), but with brushed nickel fixtures and greige laminate flooring to 'justify' the 'luxury' pricing

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It's like... how can a building be both riddled with mold, AND a giant fire hazard at the very same time?? In the 21st century, we found a way

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mm you don’t say

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Yes, rent is determined entirely by construction costs and reasonable upkeep, not the absolute maximum you can charge

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

Queens (WABC) -- A scooter-riding man opened fire on innocent bystanders in Brooklyn and Queens on Saturday.

The gunman, identified as a 25-year-old man is now in police custody. The illegal scooter was recovered, as well as a firearm.

Lol the journalists care more about the illicit non-car vehicle clogging the road and contributing to hooliganism than the gun (legal status not mentioned)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mystes posted:

There's absolutely no issue with small houses they should just be built as something like cottage courts which loving rule rather than inefficiently avoiding any common spaces like the plague to copy the worst aspects of american suburbs just so they can look like a fisher price my first single family home

Also they shouldn't require driving/car ownership because it's a massive waste of space to have to devote space for cars for really small houses

What's a cottage court, a bunch of apartments built around a quadrangle? I like those.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

just radically increasing the cost of my lovely shipping container house just so my subcompact can have housing too

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's a cottage court, a bunch of apartments built around a quadrangle? I like those.

yea

https://missingmiddlehousing.com/types/cottage-court/

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hubbert posted:

just radically increasing the cost of my lovely shipping container house just so my subcompact can have housing too

A subcompact that, as of two days ago, Ford doesn't even make any more.

Because, despite in being one of the best-selling cars in the UK for decades (and in many other markets) it has lower profit margins per car sold than Ford's Puma SUV, which has been promoted and prioritised in its place. Ford decided that a next-gen EV or hybrid Fiesta wasn't profitable enough.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BalloonFish posted:

Because, despite in being one of the best-selling cars in the UK for decades (and in many other markets) it has lower profit margins per car sold than Ford's Puma SUV, which has been promoted and prioritised in its place. Ford decided that a next-gen EV or hybrid Fiesta wasn't profitable enough.

ford: how could we lost to chinese cars, nobody could have foreseen this

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

also a subcompact that they have consistently been increasing in size for years till its closer to a loving sedan than other cars in its class. still, seems like the trend for everyone, not just ford, is jamming crossovers down the public's throat. those are not only more expensive, but they are also heavier and more polluting while offering the same amount of internal space as the cars they are substituting. they also occupy more space, and have higher centers of mass which make them more dangerous to all other road users.

an insane value proposition if your value proposition is 'increasing all the negative externalities for literally only the manufacturer's benefit'

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Stuff like this is popular wherever it exists in the US, which I guess is why it’s illegal to build in most of the country anymore

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just offer to build massive parking dungeons to appease local business owners and car brain guys under every modest missing middle housing project and then in like 20 years when everyone is finally too poor to drive you can just fill in the driveway with dirt and pretend its not there

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

New Batman villain: The Middler

He keeps trying to sabotage Wayne Enterprises giant development projects in favor of missing middle housing

Batman has to go to zoning meetings in the costume and poo poo

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

just offer to build massive parking dungeons to appease local business owners and car brain guys under every modest missing middle housing project and then in like 20 years when everyone is finally too poor to drive you can just fill in the driveway with dirt and pretend its not there

One of the big reasons 5 overs are so popular is that they can accomodate the giant parking dungeons that are required to meet parking minimums.

Parking is a huge part of what makes missing middle housing hard to build since you either have to sacrifice 3/4 of your lot to parking or build underground parking that costs twice as much as the rest of the building.

Weembles has issued a correction as of 17:17 on Jul 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah abolishing ridiculously excessive parking minimums is definitely a key step in even trying to unfuck any of this, there's no loving reason housing should be built around the default assumption that every unit will need 2 or 3 or 4 parking spaces, that 'ideal cottage court' up there has one off-street parking spot for each unit in back