Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
This guy is good at everything

https://twitter.com/JedDogKingly/status/1672390620789309441?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

king

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
can't stop. won't stop.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1677039569651245056?s=20

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So someone watched it 3 times?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

I laughed, good one CP. Lmao.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So that's 10,416,666 times watched, approximately.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CelticPredator posted:

Legit funny, nice.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
cameron's killing it and the haters can't take it.

should be the thread title.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The title should just be a link to that gif of Cameron lighting up a cigar with burning money.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
This movie owned. I thought the three hour run time was absurd before watching but like, I'm not going to act like it flew by but it slowed down at points in the EXACT right ways. Like everything with the outcast whale owned I appreciated the movie not half-assing how all the water related stuff works for the Na'vi. I feel like a lesser movie would have just smash cut to them all having mastered the way of water after the first instance of them loving up once or whatever.

I'm already looking forward to the drama when Jake/etc. learn what Spider was responsible for in Avatar 3 lol

For real though I went in blind and was not expecting the entire whale aspect of the movie at all it ruled.

Movie looks fuckin' awesome too, like I was really impressed at some points.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Neo Rasa posted:

This movie owned. I thought the three hour run time was absurd before watching but like, I'm not going to act like it flew by but it slowed down at points in the EXACT right ways. Like everything with the outcast whale owned I appreciated the movie not half-assing how all the water related stuff works for the Na'vi. I feel like a lesser movie would have just smash cut to them all having mastered the way of water after the first instance of them loving up once or whatever.

I'm already looking forward to the drama when Jake/etc. learn what Spider was responsible for in Avatar 3 lol

For real though I went in blind and was not expecting the entire whale aspect of the movie at all it ruled.

Movie looks fuckin' awesome too, like I was really impressed at some points.

hell yeah

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imo spider should kill Jake and his family and it should just be about him and quartich

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Imo spider should kill Jake and his family and it should just be about him and quartich

Already picturing the "Along came a SpI[/id[i]Er" pun cover

This movie firmly establishes that humans on Pandora is planned to be a permanent thing and not just a mining colony like in the first movie. It does make me wonder if Cameron will go so far as to have humanity mostly wiped out or if they'll pull off a Battle for the Planet of the Apes style scenario.

It does seem like half an hour was cut? That makes sense since there's a couple of parts during the battles where all the water Na'vi seem to just suddenly vanish.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 9, 2023

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Yeah they cut time to fit in more screenings. Anyone know if an extended cut is on the bluray?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

yeah make the movie even longer

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

I thought it flew by in theatres so yeah do it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Killingyouguy! posted:

yeah make the movie even longer

Yeah

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chronicles posted:

Yeah they cut time to fit in more screenings.

Because that was such a good idea when BvS did it.

Apparently James Cameron cut a bunch of scenes with guns.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Because that was such a good idea when BvS did it.

Apparently James Cameron cut a bunch of scenes with guns.

The gunplay definitely felt PG-13 overall but I appreciated how much he got away with in this under the guise of "sci-fi violence" like all the arrow shots and whaler guy getting disarmed ( :haw: ) on screen. The action in general I thought was really really well done compared to other big CG spectacle movies too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

The gunplay definitely felt PG-13 overall but I appreciated how much he got away with in this under the guise of "sci-fi violence" like all the arrow shots and whaler guy getting disarmed ( :haw: ) on screen. The action in general I thought was really really well done compared to other big CG spectacle movies too.

I don't think it was a rating thing more as a personal taste thing, from the sound of it. I get the feeling in particular he was hesitant about the still adolescent kids being shown using guns.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think it was a rating thing more as a personal taste thing, from the sound of it. I get the feeling in particular he was hesitant about the still adolescent kids being shown using guns.

Oh yeah the kids pretty much didn't use anything like that which is totally understandable, I didn't mean this as a mark against the gun usage (which was fine and I was surprised how effectively they were able to get the kids into "this one might actually not make it" territory repeatedly). Just that what would be typical for this rating with the guns stands out more compared to how clear and on screen a lot of the other violence is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Considering the movie's production time coincides a lot with the increasing rate and visibility of school shootings to horrific degrees... yeah.

Kinda funny that Subnautica ended up having no proper firearms specifically for the same reason, as well as the devs deciding it didn't fit the tone.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Considering the movie's production time coincides a lot with the increasing rate and visibility of school shootings to horrific degrees... yeah.

This is true of every film's production time for the better part of the last three decades.

BAD ASS minion memes!
Apr 12, 2014

I really didn't enjoy this... it was real pretty and all, and the whale sure was cool. But the white saviour narrative and the weird noble savage stereotype sprinkled throughout it were incredibly jarring to me, and made it impossible for me to take the cool visual effects at face value.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There's really not a white savior element here. Jakesully spends the entire movie being taught how to deal with the aquatic environment and his wife, who is a native Pandorian, and Payakan, who is a cool whale, do far more damage than he does in the final conflict.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Yeah if anything Jake is a scrub the antagonists tunnel vision on and Neytiri is the real threat. She saved him in the first film too.

James Cameron has said some insensitive poo poo about indigenous people before, but yeah I'm not seeing the white savior angle so much.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 19, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The white savior is spider who saves the best character

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BAD rear end minion memes! posted:

I really didn't enjoy this... it was real pretty and all, and the whale sure was cool. But the white saviour narrative and the weird noble savage stereotype sprinkled throughout it were incredibly jarring to me, and made it impossible for me to take the cool visual effects at face value.

Media literacy needs to be taught in schools

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm reading that as "I'm too good of a person to enjoy this movie" which is very funny.

BAD ASS minion memes!
Apr 12, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's really not a white savior element here. Jakesully spends the entire movie being taught how to deal with the aquatic environment and his wife, who is a native Pandorian, and Payakan, who is a cool whale, do far more damage than he does in the final conflict.

Right, but much is made of the fact that he's "Toruk Makto" - it rankles with me that the "chosen one" or "great war leader" or whatever isn't any of the Na'vi themselves, it's an outsider from the colonising group that needed to learn the (moral, harmonious, superior) ways of the indigenous people of Pandora - and in doing so, becomes a great unifying war leader that apparently none of the indigenous inhabitants of Pandora could become without him? Reminded me of the Last Samurai and similar media.

Maybe all this stuff is just baggage from the first movie that I didn't notice or remember because I saw it so long ago, but it was definitely hard to ignore.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Major part of the reason he was able to capture the legendary dragonthing and unite the tribes was because as a sky-person he alone understood the threat that we posed and was able to communicate that to Pandora

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I can't really defend the OG Avatar, other than to say that the "noble savage" has never sat right with me personally because it's so broad. You could conceivably apply it to Prey, for instance. Which feels like bullshit.

In Way of the Water JakeSully is pretty much just "some rear end in a top hat who ruined it for the guys in the jungle" to the water people. He's not any better than them, he is constantly learning and growing from their mentorship, and he's not some innate powerhouse. As I mentioned, in the movie's climatic battle there are at least two other characters who do way way way more damage than he does. Not really getting white savior vibes here, in fact I would argue that it's more like he's the white doom, because wherever he goes Quaritch and his mercs are going to follow. He's going to bring death and ruin until the Sky People are defeated.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Prey kicks rear end. It sucks james Cameron is doing these movies. It would’ve been neat to see Cameron tackle Preys

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Teenage Sigourney Weaver is the real white savior here.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

CelticPredator posted:

The white savior is spider who saves the best character

No, quaritch was blue.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spider is white and he is the savior

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Payakan? A white whale, you say?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Spider is whatever is white on the outside but blue on inside. Not sure what food that is? Some kind of weird frosted pop tart ?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

BAD rear end minion memes! posted:

Right, but much is made of the fact that he's "Toruk Makto" - it rankles with me that the "chosen one" or "great war leader" or whatever isn't any of the Na'vi themselves, it's an outsider from the colonising group that needed to learn the (moral, harmonious, superior) ways of the indigenous people of Pandora - and in doing so, becomes a great unifying war leader that apparently none of the indigenous inhabitants of Pandora could become without him? Reminded me of the Last Samurai and similar media.

Maybe all this stuff is just baggage from the first movie that I didn't notice or remember because I saw it so long ago, but it was definitely hard to ignore.
It's totally baggage from the first film and a lot better in this one.

It's still there, in the stuff you're bothered by, but I personally felt they took a lot of effort to center the stories of the people who are actually from this culture. It's a lot less "look at how neat these people look like to a white guy" and more just "look at how neat these people are" with no special consideration being given to a point of view character who represents "us", the white/human audience.

Jake is still a central character, and he's still a well respected war leader, but that's it. This isn't really his story, and we're not seeing these cultures through his eyes as a white guy.

Edit:
Not that important, but just because it bothered me a bit:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Media literacy needs to be taught in schools
If the idea that Avatar is a white savior/noble savage story is new to you, I have no idea how you've been thinking of or engaging with that film at all.

I don't really accept that this film is all that bad, but it's really not a position or a concern that deserves to be called out as extraordinarily dumb or media illiterate.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jake sucks in the first Avatar too; ita just rhat the planet finds him useful since he turns into a liberal pretty quickly and can help the cause. The first movie is in this really weird position where the only thing Jake brings to the table is being a traitor to witeness, which hedges on white savior but goes against part of the main point (which is using superior whiteness to help the Natives). It's the most "on the edge" example you can probably find where it is, but you're kind of in the right place too.