Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m pretty sure in every single case, the episodes are pulled without anyone ever really complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Chronicles posted:

Or the 30 rock episodes that were explicitly about how bad and dumb the people doing blackface were. Happy I caught the Jenna/Tracy raceswap episode on a rewatch before it got pulled. An all timer on a show full of them.

Two Black Swans wasn't really about blackface being bad, but I still wouldn't think of it as a troublesome thing. It's a costume for a costume party. Without the makeup, it's not really the same costume. But, what do I know. I'm a white Jew, a minority that's totally kosher to dress as.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I will never not be uncomfortable when this thread pines for the days when they could see blackface on TV.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

I just rewatched this one, and it kind of balances out by her getting played out multiple times in the episode and the big final rap song on what a piece of poo poo she is. Yeah, it's not great they throw around "retarded" for comedy all through the 2000's seasons in the same way that "gay" is thrown around in all of 80s/90s comedies... but it wasn't as lovely as I thought it would be on the rewatch somehow.

I'm sure things like south park or anything else with comically over-the-top poo poo head characters did the exact same crap at the time, super glad we moved past that one honestly.

I was actually impressed that even when the episode aired they had already softened it a bit. The original title was "Sweet Dee's Dating a Retard" and even in 2007 they walked it back to "Sweet Dee's Dating a Retarded Person". Still not great, but probably more progressive than most 'edgy' media 15 years ago.

uXs posted:

I don't like entire episodes of something getting pulled because of one or two scenes.

The D&D episode of Community for example is absolutely amazing and it's not shown anymore because of Chang playing a Drow, thus doing blackface. It even gets called out in the show too.

I understand networks or creators not wanting to show their old poo poo that's now in bad taste (or was already in bad taste when they aired), but there has to be a better solution than just removing the episodes.

Pretty sure they said on the podcast (or maybe it was just Charlie?) that they didn't agree with banning media like that, preferring for people to be able to choose for themselves.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LividLiquid posted:

I will never not be uncomfortable when this thread pines for the days when they could see blackface on TV.

Yes that’s exactly what’s happening, you got us. Deep down we really just want the minstrel shows back on air.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

LividLiquid posted:

It's fair for people to see a difference between malicious blackface and not. It reminds me of a scene from The West Wing, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0CrZPoXdeE. Not the same situation, but there is and has to be a difference in response when there's a difference in intent.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Actually, when it's not made in the Blackface region of France, it's just sparkling white racism.
:goonsay:

While it'd be nice if they agreed with the decision (and I thought they'd said they had until recently,) for many reasons, they're not really authorities on whether the use of blackface is okay.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 8, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Doublepost.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And a bunch of streaming site execs should have the moral power? Yeah gently caress that noise.

Best remove every episode of Mac talking about being gay then, given the actor isn’t gay himself. Obviously nobody is complaining about that either, but best get ahead of the situation eh.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

they're not really authorities on whether the use of blackface is okay.

Blackface is explicitly not ok. That is why the characters are horrible stupid assholes for doing it. They suck, that's the joke.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

and I will never not be tired of your whining, but here we are

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I enjoyed the risk-e-rat episode. It was a great illustration of how everyone thinks things were perfect and just right when they were a kid. The gang hated how PC everything was today, but when frank would talk about how things were in his day they would act like it was horrible and obviously going too far the other way. Their 80's childhood was of course the exact right balance. Everyone goes through life thinking this. Their parents generation was regressive, their kids generation are pussies.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

No Dignity posted:

and I will never not be tired of your whining, but here we are

Every drat time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The moment people stop defending the use of blackface is the moment you'll never hear me express my discomfort about it again.

It's a low loving bar. You can all clear it. I promise.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shut the hell up! No one cares!!

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

LividLiquid posted:

The moment people stop defending the use of blackface is the moment you'll never hear me express my discomfort about it again.

Intent matters. I don't understand why you think it doesn't. A lot of comedy is using uncomfortable situations. I don't find it funny when shows make prison rape jokes, but saying people can't make a joke in that vicinity doesn't help anything. I don't find it funny, in fact I find it offensive, when shows have people mocking Jews and dressing up as orthodox Jews for a joke, but it's stupid to say people can never do it again regardless of the intent.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

LividLiquid posted:

There's not a single episode of the series that someone somewhere doesn't think crosses the line and should be censored. Just because this is your weird specific personal line doesn't make it any more justified or moral or special than anyone else's censorship kink.

I'm sure Mother's Against Drunk Driving think the underage drinking episode should be banned. Everyone's got something.

Mocking blackface is out of bounds, but misogyny is just fine? Says who? You? Hulu?

Don't like it, don't watch it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s like the people who loved Family Guy and South Park until their situation was included, except in this/Community case the gang are the punchline not the trope.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the shower scene with Mac's blackface melting away was extremely funny, as was intercutting a pair of beautiful muscular black buns as though they were Mac's buns, and I look forward to them talking about it on the podcast

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I rewatched the Risk-E-Rat episode and I retract most of my complaints about it, guess I was just in a bad mood. I do think we should have seen more antics and less discussions, though.

LividLiquid posted:

You do this in every thread you post in, and I feel pretty confident in saying that you need to touch grass.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I rewatched the Risk-E-Rat episode and I retract most of my complaints about it, guess I was just in a bad mood.

I love it when this happens. The first time I watched Team America after waiting so long, the first 10 minutes or so just didn’t work for me at all for some reason. Luckily when I tried it again a few days later everything was funny.

That ain’t gonna happen with Sausage Party tho, so no way in hell am I trying that turd again.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

EL BROMANCE posted:

And a bunch of streaming site execs should have the moral power? Yeah gently caress that noise.

Best remove every episode of Mac talking about being gay then, given the actor isn’t gay himself.

If he's not gay, then why did he marry an actress who's actually on his payroll? :tinfoil:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

1glitch0 posted:

Don't like it, don't watch it.

That is impossible for some people. Every one and every thing must be fixed. Only approved humor and thought will be permitted. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Meanwhile, all the way back in one page ago:

LividLiquid posted:

God drat, I didn't realize they went back to those wells as often as they did.

But also, it's actually laudable and a loving miracle that a show that revels in "what if horrible people," that deals in the topics that it does, has so few episodes in their many, many years of making them, that have been over the line.

That's really loving great, actually.
So, try again.

Edit: To clarify, I don't think they're bad for having made those episodes. I don't even skip them on rewatches. I just get the horribles when a group of people get together to talk about how blackface is good, actually, so long as you also briefly mention that it isn't.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 9, 2023

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

I don't even skip them on rewatches.

I would also like the option to not skip them on rewatches.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I do find it a bit odd they removed the episodes making fun of the gang for being lovely racists but left in the ones with Carmen (or at least the early ones), where the writing itself is ignorant

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

koolkal posted:

I do find it a bit odd they removed the episodes making fun of the gang for being lovely racists but left in the ones with Carmen (or at least the early ones), where the writing itself is ignorant

It's because they didn't. Hulu just did a blanket blackface ban. They don't care about anything else.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Imagine not having every episode of sunny sitting on your computer, rather than depending on the fickle whims of streaming services.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Imagine not having every episode of sunny sitting on your computer, rather than depending on the fickle whims of streaming services.

:hmmyes:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Baronjutter posted:

Indeed.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Super Deuce posted:

Two Black Swans wasn't really about blackface being bad, but I still wouldn't think of it as a troublesome thing. It's a costume for a costume party. Without the makeup, it's not really the same costume. But, what do I know. I'm a white Jew, a minority that's totally kosher to dress as.

I forgot about that one. I was talking about “Believe in the Stars”

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

How dare you save blackface videos!

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Chronicles posted:

I forgot about that one. I was talking about “Believe in the Stars”

Oh, I know. Just they did two different ones that were both taken down.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
i also think it’s good they removed the blackface episodes and this discussion occurred during the airing of an episode making fun of the displeased posters very sentiment

then again what do I know, i’m a white person

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m black and it kinda feels disingenuous and perfunctory to remove those eps. That’s just me though, maybe other people of color found it offensive but “this character is so stupid they thought doing blackface in their lovely Lethal Weapon reboot, that’s the joke, how stupid and lovely they are” is still pretty funny to me.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
In the end, it's up to them, if they feel bad about doing it and decide that they would rather, not have those episodes in circulation, it's their choice.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

In the end, it's up to them, if they feel bad about doing it and decide that they would rather, not have those episodes in circulation, it's their choice.

That is the thing, it wasn't their choice!! The network pulled them because they wanted to look like they were doing something when the 2020 BLM protests happened and in comments since then they were clearly upset with this. If they had pulled them of their own volition, or there'd actually been a widespread call from ethnic minorities to pull them we wouldn't be having this conversation

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Charlie_ohmygod_shutup.gif

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
i will also admit i think those episodes are pretty funny all around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I definitely don't see the point in removing the episodes. The joke is obviously at the expense of racists. It's mocking them as stupid and ignorant. Removing the episodes kinda gives the impression that we aren't allowed to mock racists.