Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

SIGSEGV posted:

What's a Rune Fencer and how different are the two fancy fencer jobs?

Also, Dancer, Visaria desperately needs some cheer in her, and forced cheer feels almost as good in a pinch.

Rune Fencer is a tank that focuses on magic damage reduction and parrying. It can cast elemental runes on it's weapon(usually a great sword) that do all sorts of things. It is mostly Mystic Knight from 5.

As for Dancer, Visaria has a majority of the best in slot Dancer gear aside from artifacts which are Rhapsodies locked, yes I farmed Abyssea that is how bad I didn't want to do three paths, so she will have an extended period as Dancer at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Capital Letdown posted:

You could read all about the summons in the Vanadiel Tribune, available to read on Play Online

I did, back in the day. Those stories are super interesting and it's a drat shame they're not referenced anywhere in game at all.

I, too, demand Blue Mage perfection. Become the Zorro.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Summoner Part 2

The summoner I'm looking for is in the northern part of town, not too far from the gate.

Well looks like I need to go find the little punk.

I knew I'd eventually need to touch this rock.

What are you even doing? What am I even doing? I just need to grill him on current happenings.

I just wanted to know about Bahamut! And maybe Fenrir!

I mean... Yeah... You seem pretty easy to kill. I'm rather shocked Shantotto hasn't accidentally vaporized you. Or purposefully I guess... Whatever.

Well there is one answer I wanted.

Jobs done? Back to Koru-Moru.

My interests have been piqued.

This is really getting me nowhere. Carby are you sure you can't like just tell me what is happening?

Mmhmm... Okay.

Koru, my Carbuncle broke...

This is translated to "go to Mhaura".

Once again something we will do in the future makes it so I can just go to this now.

I hate thinking about it. I hate knowing that I will do it or have done it.

Hrmmm. Seems bad.

Hands off that jellybean!

Another day another staff thumpin'.

Me beating these to death with my staff speaks greatly of my power level being way more than is necessary for this outting.

Right. I'm weakened after that. Yes.

I was probably fine.

Gasp. Anyway this doesn't involve me I just wanted my Carbuncle back so I can ask it some dumb questions.

I do believe Ildy just got mind controlled.

Yep, I should probably help him. Also messing with the big rock candies seems bad and I need to put a stop to that so I can go mess with them. Y'know unless I already did. Did I mention I hate time?

Windurst deserves itself.

We head to Rabao now! To fix something bad happening... Gonna be honest this magic crap still goes over my head... I'm a fighter not a magic knower! I'll never read a book! There is a very important reason why I beat things to death with sticks and pointy sticks! Mainly spells are expensive. No actually just that. No I don't care how much cermet I've sold, I'm still a cheapskate at heart.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The only Tarutaru speech tic I don't hate is Shantotto's. Reading this much of their dialogue is destroying my brain.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I can handle Rukususu's tick, it just makes them sound French.
The rest though? Oh hell no.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Summoner Part 3

Same deal as before.

I use the stupid charm.

They gave me a piece of crap.

That's still controlling them! I mean look at Ildy!

Joke's on you, I have no energy. The last shred of it was gone the moment I climbed a mountain for no reason.

Well the colors are cool at least.

Carby could do this alone.

They are probably at Tavnazia by now. I need to wrap this up and zoop.

You know. I don't think I actually needed to be involved in any of this... This probably would have fixed itself.

I could have been doing the Thief or Ranger missions instead. Maybe Black Mage. Funny explosion quest probably, instead I did this.

And just like that not a drat thing was accomplished other than Ildy-Goldy got the summon orb with the juice in it. If we squeeze it out hopefully Carby will stop flopping on the ground. Such drama.

I kinda wanna eat the power orb.

Just a lick to see what flavor of power it is.

They are not gonna let me put it in my mouth.

Thanks for reinforcing that I didn't need to be here for this.

Can I have the orb instead?

That was a no.

Not my color but better than White Mage.

You know what? Forget Bahamut. I'm gonna go cause problems for myself in the past.

I went around collecting mini elemental tuning forks. These instantly teleport me to the appropriate avatar crystal. Usually outside the crystal chamber is a zoop crystal. Very early in your adventuring life you can simply pick up the fork, use it, and then toss it in your storage and forget about it. As I may have done.

San d'Oria(Shiva), Bastok(Titan), Rabao(Garuda), Norg(Levithan), Mhaura(Ramuh), Kazham(Ifrit)

We will not be using the mini forks. We are using the normal tuning forks. I'll explain the process next time.

Anyway lets have a little taste of power as a treat for whatever nonsense Carby is going to put me through in the future that I just took care of.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Why is the ice lady's vagina emitting a lens flare?

I'm also curious to see FFXI's take on Garuda, usually she has my favourite monster design in the games she's in.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm also curious to see FFXI's take on Garuda, usually she has my favourite monster design in the games she's in.

Because I'm a savant at hitting print screen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

PurpleXVI posted:

That's just how Shiva rolls.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Summoner Part 4

There are 3 types of fights with the Avatars.

Mini Tuning Fork: Your level is capped at 20 and you are alone with only Carbuncle. You also only have 15 minutes to beat it. Level 20 Summoner is not impressive and level 10 of any Sub Job may as well not exist. So how do you deal with this? You build a good set of level 20 gear and try not to run out of MP. Each avatar has an element and each day has an element so ideally you fight on a day the element is weak against and never on the day of the element when the avatar is going to do extra damage to you. The reward is just being able to summon the avatar.

Tuning Fork: You don't need to be Summoner to do this version. You can bring a party and there is no level cap on this. In other words it is do it with your eyes closed easy nowadays. The reward is either the ability to summon the avatar if you have summoner unlocked, an item that combines with other avatar fight items to make a very good summoner ring, or a piece of outdated gear. This type of fight can be done once per day so you can have the ring and the summon.

High Tier Battlefield: Unlocked by doing the normal tuning fork fight of the flavor of avatar of your choice. These are modern day boss fights that can give you the business. Bring friends and/or trusts. Elemental resistance of some kind is highly recommended! I've seen quadruple digit damage from these fights, more than enough to murder anything not a tank. Some of the loot from these fights is actually very good! Shiva has a best in slot PUP tank earring. No getting the summon from these fights though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last time I showed the intro for the mini version. This is the normal version, all the avatars say the same thing.

And when we trounce them we get this:

Going back to the tuning fork giver completes the quest and lets us pick the reward for the day.

Time seems to freeze and a ghostly Tarutaru walks towards me and vanishes.

And then...

I'm back here with a doll and I'm offered a trade of power for either gil, a piece of equipment, or a nugget to make a ring.

Or I can reject the voice...

And make a pact with the avatar to be able to summon it.

I think I see what was... Is? Screw it.

The researchers are stuck in a loop and by association so am I. Thanks Uran-Mafran.

Repeating the fork the next day results in the same choice minus the pact and scene. One could cause problems on purpose if one wanted to.

Instead of that noise let's go make some pacts.

Whew. Got all 6.

Let's go over what they and Carby do.

Carbuncle: Light elemental and a cheap upkeep. Carby's useful for doing things without spending a ton of MP. It has nice AoE cures and can protect AND shell in one ward(also it stacks with normal protect and shell!).

All: These take 15 MP every 3 seconds as an upkeep cost. They are strong and weak against the elements that make sense. That goes for the enfeebling effects tied to the element too. Not every summon is useful and not every situation can be solved by just one summon.

Shiva: Lowers evasion and buffs TP attacks for the party. She doesn't stand out much but she is useful in the right situation.

Ifrit: One of the important summons. He does the big number. He gets big number by having something really unique in that some of his attacks are both physical and magic so they double dip from his stats. He enfires the party. He has a breath attack that lowers int. I think he is just terrific. Fighting something weak to fire? You do some of the biggest numbers of all Jobs.

Leviathan: Slow 1 and a unique 25% attack down. Has a unique Cura that cures status effects too including weird ones like petrify(but not curse for some reason) and a party buff that increases healing taken. That is pretty much it's use.

Ramuh: Ramuh likes to make skill chains. He also has a good AoE attack. Other than that he doesn't do anything too impressive. AoEing? Use Ramuh.

Titan: Titan has a damaging -30% attack speed blood pact and a ward that reduces specifically extremely large hits taken by party members to a much more manageable size(bard can do this too but they stack). Titan is eh...

Garuda: She. Much like Ifrit, Garuda kicks rear end. Has Hastega 2. I could end it here. Red Mage gets single target Haste 2 at level 96, 3 second cast time lasts 3 minutes, Garuda just gives the whole party Haste 2 and then spends the other 15 seconds murdering things. She has a strong healing ward, more expensive than Carby and doesn't heal status effects like Leviathan. She can give blink to the party and also movement speed to the party. This is just her utility stuff! She's very good at magic bursting with her wind. Ifrit will do bigger numbers but if you need a source of Haste 2 for the party, Garuda immediately.

Summed up: Ramuh AoE, Ifrit big physical(and magic) damage, Garuda Haste 2 and magic burst, Leviathan healing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But what if I want more power? Lets look around Windurst for the punk who made the tunning forks.

Fenrir right?

Yeah wild that no one has reported on any of that yet.

So this is all Carby's fault. Good work.

Basically I just need to grab a tuning fork from each researcher and beat up each avatar again. This time however I don't go back to the researchers. I come back to this nerd instead.

Hey Carby. Last time someone summoned Fenrir they died. Whatever. I'm sure Carbuncle knows what it's doing.

No excuses eh?

This door is an excuse! This is the infamous Three Mage Gate. You need a Red, White, and Black Mage to stand in the circles to open the door or do the Windurst main story missions up to going to the Jeuno Windurst embassy. You can also do a very long quest chain to access a different door.

I don't have 3 saps and I'm not filling out paperwork to move to Windurst to go inexplicably fight the Shadow Lord again. Also I was suppose to be back in Tavnazia like 8 hours ago so no time for a quest chain. What do I do?

On the other side of that door is a zoop. Varisele has that zoop but can't open the door for me. Instead I gather a bunch of goblins hanging out in the area before this room, take off my equipment, and get beaten to incapacitation. After I do that Varisele can use the Tractor spell to teleport my body to the other side of the door where I can then be revived with Raise.

All that work to get in a sewer.

You bet your rear end I picked up the zoop for later. One of the Summoner AF pieces is in a coffer in this place. The AF I already showed off. You get it.

I politely let Carby deal with this.

I have to wrassle the doggo.

Fenrir also has a high tier battlefield fight after you clear this. Fenrir is also has the last nugget needed to make the ring. You don't need the 6 avatars to fight normal Fenrir again thankfully.

Anyway back to Windurst.

Is that it Carby? You were lonely?

Hrm. "True form" sets off alarms in my head but I do like the sound of Fenrir's blessings.

Anyway the choices are gil, the ring nugget, some bad equipment, a pact with Fenrir, Fenrir as a mount...

As much as I'd love to use Fenrir to get around I'll settle for the pact for now.

You are gonna end up in a world of trouble one day and I'm not doing to help you.

Fenrir: Dark elemental, uses slightly less upkeep MP than a normal avatar, and has a mix of physical and magical attacks. One important magic attack is Impact which not only deals dark damage but lowers an enemy's str, dex, int, mnd, cha, agi, and vit for 3 minutes at a cost of 666 MP. Impressive. He has some buffs and debuffs that are effected by the current moon phase, most are not worth using. Lunar Roar is an AoE dispel that hits twice which is unique. Last but not least is the party wide Ecliptic Growl which depending on moon phase increases (str/dex/vit)/(cha/agi/int/mnd). A new moon gives +1 str/dex/vit and + 7 cha/agi/int/mnd for example. Neat.

Well. What now?

I'm gonna go get Diabolos. That is a good idea.

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 8, 2023

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm glad Garuda is becoming a Summoning mainstay thanks to XI.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Visaria's lockpicking technique is interesting, getting beaten up by goblin's is certainly out of the ordinary.

Her life kinda sucks a lot these days, I can only guess common thievery was kinder to her.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm glad Garuda is becoming a Summoning mainstay thanks to XI.

It is nice to have a consistent wind Eidolon.

We went from, what, Syldra, to not having one in VI, to Choco/Mog and Typhon (sorta, neither of whom actually deal Wind element damage), then Pandemona, then Fenrir, and then sorta Valefor if you squint, before settling on Garuda in XI and XIV.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

XVI too! And I think XV too? Not too sure about that one in particular.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Ibblebibble posted:

XVI too! And I think XV too? Not too sure about that one in particular.

Garuda is in FFXV. She was added in a patch.

In fact, FFXV has two. One is the Garuda from FFXIV, who is summoned over as part of a crossover event, and fought as a boss. The other Garuda native to FFXV and becomes the summon.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fat and Useless posted:

This door is an excuse! This is the infamous Three Mage Gate. You need a Red, White, and Black Mage to stand in the circles to open the door or do the Windurst main story missions up to going to the Jeuno Windurst embassy. You can also do a very long quest chain to access a different door.

I don't have 3 saps and I'm not filling out paperwork to move to Windurst to go inexplicably fight the Shadow Lord again. Also I was suppose to be back in Tavnazia like 8 hours ago so no time for a quest chain. What do I do?

On the other side of that door is a zoop. Varisele has that zoop but can't open the door for me. Instead I gather a bunch of goblins hanging out in the area before this room, take off my equipment, and get beaten to incapacitation. After I do that Varisele can use the Tractor spell to teleport my body to the other side of the door where I can then be revived with Raise.

Visaria gets stomped flat by goblins and then slips under the door, makes sense.

Also glad to see that Garuda has a cool design again, while I note that Ramuh is in his Goth phase.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

You don't really notice it 'cause his mane and ears are so big but Fenrir has a teeny tiny head.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PurpleXVI posted:

while I note that Ramuh is in his Goth phase.

Given his backstory in this game it's understandable.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Given his backstory in this game it's understandable.

and if you scroll to the bottom you can read the others.

That door is one of the biggest pain in the asses. The intended solution is bug at least two other people or start in Windurst so Kupipi will give you the drat key. Even when you have someone past it, there is no open door button like the door at Grav'iton... You suffer the indignity of having level 50 goblins(that you need to bring over from a 20-30 second walk of shame) beat you up for a while when you are probably 99 and then the other person has to be a Job combo with Tractor(a dark magic spell) and Raise, the Reraise confirmation box gets canceled by Tractor so you can't even have that dignity.

Also you can pick locks in this as a thief. It's not great!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Fat and Useless posted:

Mini Tuning Fork: Your level is capped at 20 and you are alone with only Carbuncle. You also only have 15 minutes to beat it. Level 20 Summoner is not impressive and level 10 of any Sub Job may as well not exist. So how do you deal with this? You build a good set of level 20 gear and try not to run out of MP. Each avatar has an element and each day has an element so ideally you fight on a day the element is weak against and never on the day of the element when the avatar is going to do extra damage to you. The reward is just being able to summon the avatar.

This is how I got all my celestial avatars back in the day -- I didn't want to bug my friends to do six of these fights, and it was an interesting challenge! Usually you could pick the right day to go (Shiva on Firesday, etc), throw Carby out there, use Astral Flow and a Refresh drink, and use Searing Light three times to win. One of them resisted though and after AF ran out I had to have Carby melee it down while popping Ethers and casting Banish until it died.

Fat and Useless posted:

Also you can pick locks in this as a thief. It's not great!

I had a good friend who was so disappointed in the Steal/lockpicking rewards that he quit the game, came back, and quit again. There just ain't no money in thievin' these days.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Bregor posted:

This is how I got all my celestial avatars back in the day -- I didn't want to bug my friends to do six of these fights, and it was an interesting challenge! Usually you could pick the right day to go (Shiva on Firesday, etc), throw Carby out there, use Astral Flow and a Refresh drink, and use Searing Light three times to win. One of them resisted though and after AF ran out I had to have Carby melee it down while popping Ethers and casting Banish until it died.

I did it the "safe" way and summoned, sicced Carby, ran to the entrance, resummoned when he died, ran back to the crystal, rinse repeat until about 80%, then nuked. I had the Carby Mitts though, a good friend took me through the rigmarole to get them.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I did it the "safe" way and summoned, sicced Carby, ran to the entrance, resummoned when he died, ran back to the crystal, rinse repeat until about 80%, then nuked. I had the Carby Mitts though, a good friend took me through the rigmarole to get them.

I had the Mitts too, I was running a social/sky LS at the time and we took plenty of people to get random things -- Carby Mitts, Reverend Mail, Soboro, etc. etc. So even though I pretty much only ran PLD RDM or BRD I would have a ton of random stuff in my Mog House. I think I was just too impatient and wanted to Astral Flow them right quick. The worst part was trying to hit Searing Light when you hadn't refreshed up to 40MP :v:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Summoner Part 5

I swear to the Goddess I'm done after this. Also I'm back on the normal timeline. Huzzah.

I head off to find a "meditating" Tarutaru in the Rhinostery.

I am in fact not hard to find.

I swore off sleep right? I can't remember. Regardless I've been awake for days I think. I think this one is a my bad but Kerutoto probably deserves this in some way.

Could have been worse. You could have experienced the rear end kicking I'm about to get.

Must be nice to sleep all day. Through the power of my zoops I can head straight to Diabolos.

The request was for my friends too but they currently have their eyes on the ball and I'm a total badass who doesn't need help unless it's a door.

S'up.

This chump wants a round 2. Fine. Ding ding let's go!

Mmhmm.

You know. I just realized... Carby is weak because, well, it's Carby and it spreads itself thin. Fenrir barely exists and the Fenrir I fought was sustained by avatar and Carby juice and not quite the real deal that could turn the tide of a war... Bahamut could wipe out the world... So Diabolos not holding back is someplace between fake Fenrir and Bahamut right?

I may have done fricked it. But I have trusts! No wait... I can't summon them.

This is just like last time! I'm psyching myself out!

He still takes good chunks of damage, this is fine. One Fenrir pact wasn't enough to finish him but it knocks him to below half his health.

I have a charge up before I can blow him away. Mechanics happen like these holes. Everything is fine.

He uses Nightmare... I fall asleep. My health dips down to 500 from full and I have a bio effect on me sapping my life away. This sleep lasts a minute. As I slowly die, I understand now. I most definitely fricked it.

I fall into darkness.

Attempt number two. It ends the same way.

I have a solution now though. I'll bring him to around 55% with staff attacks and Fenrir auto attacks then I'll Blast him for the last 55% bypassing Nightmare.

For reference he has like 11000 health. This probably would have been easier if I didn't use Fenrir.

The end.

"Meditating"...

Obviously.

Diabolos: Dark elemental. Has some real odd magical things. First he has a breath attack that deals fixed damage ignoring magic damage reduction that doesn't use TP when used like every other blood pact. His other is Night Terror which deals extra damage to sleeping targets. His wards also have the oddball Somnolence which is a damaging ward. He can boost his magic attack and defense with one of his wards and Nightmare is also a ward which puts a target to sleep and drops a strong bio on them. Last notable thing is he has an instant kill ward that is more effective on sleeping things, it is bad but if it doesn't kill it will dispel an effect off the target. Diablos is what you use if you need a sleeper or magic dark damage. Even with all the unique mechanics he has others are just better damage if used appropriately.

Well I'm finally done until next time an avatar pops up. Also I think I can sleep again without worrying about nightmares! Or I made them worse tying my soul to Diabolos, whatever. No knowledge was gained from any of this and I'm pretty sure the world is worse than when I started. Bog standard day honestly.

I'm zoopin' over to Tavnazia to get the end of the world started by poking Bahamut again. Hopefully everyone hasn't been waiting too long.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love that Diabolos just grabs someone out of their dreams and goes "GIVE THIS LETTER TO THE ADVENTURER, YOU KNOW THE ONE" like loving Freddy Krueger.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

I have a solution now though. I'll bring him to around 55% with staff attacks and Fenrir auto attacks then I'll Blast him for the last 55% bypassing Nightmare.

For reference he has like 11000 health. This probably would have been easier if I didn't use Fenrir.

I love solutions like this. In the Level 75-cap days it was "get out of Nightmare range, or bring a legion of healers, or just eat poo poo". Now it's simply waiting a bit longer before your doggo murders it. In fact if I remember right, Nightmare has a massive range so I'm not even sure you could avoid it.

PurpleXVI posted:

I love that Diabolos just grabs someone out of their dreams and goes "GIVE THIS LETTER TO THE ADVENTURER, YOU KNOW THE ONE" like loving Freddy Krueger.

Yeah it's pretty rad. Diabolos owns. I've always liked the design too, from back in the FF VIII days.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 43: Ulmia

I walk into the stronghold like I haven't been doing random nonsense for the past couple days. I get pointed to the old man's room.

Grav'iton

I didn't think we were gone THAT long... Anyhow Ulmia is a sweet bean and I won't let anything bad happen to her.

But I got dressed up in Dragoon gear and everything! Also I somehow forgot I needed to punch Nag'molada in the face, thanks for reminding me.

Come to think of it I haven't seen either Ulmia or Prishe yet.

Hrm...

Sounds to me like I need to use an Ulmia to get to Prishe and I happen to know where to find one.

Just for fun I'll ask Justinius what's up.

Yep sounds like Prishe got chewed out by the old man.

Tavnazia is actually very pretty. I wonder what it was like before it exploded.

First Ode: Nocturne of the Gods

Her song cuts as soon as I approach.

Recollection

First Ode: Nocturne of the Gods

Cute. Like a helpful Eald'Narche... Well Prishe has always been Prishe it seems, even before the war blew Tavnazia up.

Sorrow

Of course she isn't.

Of course it would.

Dragon?

I feel like Bahamut won't have the answer you want but you are an innocent cinnamon bun and I will keep your hopes up. Also this is probably a Prisheless adventure.

We can't use the zoop from the last Bahamut encounter(and Ulmia can't use the zoop anyhow), we need to go a different displacement path this time. We cut back through the stronghold and head to the other side of the island where the entrance was.

Experienced. A polite word for someone who has been dragged through the mud, set on fire, and still showed up to work today.

Phoenix is a good avatar dousing rod if nothing else. Pretty handy torch too come to think of it.

Oh come on! What now!?

Depths of the Soul

I have killed a Tarutaru before, I'll do it again.

She cast the wrong warp...

You can be a little harsh.

Next time: I don't have enough fingers and toes to count all the times I've done this fight

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 6, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I feel like Tenzen is probably going to tie the idiot trio to a stick and use them as the world's most annoying flail.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Please, Justinius. Just punt them into the ocean. I guarantee you none of us will see a thing if the cops ask.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

quote:

Oh, those bastards.

I remember one post on the forums that was like "please let us have a fight against the 3 CoP tarus, I don't care if it drops an insect wing, I just want to hurt them."

Just repeating this, because it will never not be true.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Melomane Mallet posted:

Just repeating this, because it will never not be true.

Not unprecedented either because there are special event ticket fights that let you kick the crap out of Prishe/Shantotto et al, as well! Those don't drop anything worthwhile, they're just fun. No reason they couldn't do one of those.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

Tavnazia is actually very pretty. I wonder what it was like before it exploded.

I've said this before but I absolutely love the Lufaise/Miseraux zones, how they look, the music, everything. It's a shame they didn't have good exp camps back in the day cos it would've made leveling much more enjoyable.

I'm also going to hold off on commenting on the Taru trio until later in CoP.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Bregor posted:

I've said this before but I absolutely love the Lufaise/Miseraux zones, how they look, the music, everything. It's a shame they didn't have good exp camps back in the day cos it would've made leveling much more enjoyable.

I'm also going to hold off on commenting on the Taru trio until later in CoP.

There is one camp of birds if you don't want to go to Zeruhn Mines(which can handle 3 groups) at that level, other than that eh. Birds are kinda dangerous compared to worms and bats. Oddly enough another alternate leveling spot for that level is entered FROM Tavnazia but not in Tavnazia. It also leads to an end game activity so you get a hit of the music for a few seconds before zoning over when you go about doing it daily.

11 has good field music to just chill to, enough so that you can mod it so your mount music doesn't play.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

11 has good field music to just chill to, enough so that you can mod it so your mount music doesn't play.

Zi'Tah remains the music I put on when I'm having a hard time sleeping, to this day.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Are you sure that Tarus aren't both divine punishment and also the reason for more divine punishment?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It feels like these particular Tarutaru are everything Final Fantasy XIV players meme about Lalafell, but worse.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Be careful, there is always a worse Tarutaru around some dark corner, just waiting...

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 44: Memoria

Like last time we hop through the displacement to reach our floating island destination.

We pass through some displacements and wind up in a cave that warns you about your incoming smack down.

Bahamut

You get used to it.

Ah. Extra dragons.

Extra wyrms.

Dial back that enthusiasm a bit Tenzen.

This is why I stand in the back.

Okay everyone step back, time to throw claws and fists.

Turmoil

There is a side quest prior to this fight which was once necessary but is now less so thanks to the damage at our disposal.

Dragons/Wyrms have a couple rules. You do not ever attack from behind or on the sides, this causes a heavy damage AoE counter hit to everyone around the boss. In later open world boss fights you get warped back to your bind point after causing it. Last year people were griefing with it too much so the warp was added, now it is mainly just a newbie mistake(one AoE can still kill a bunch of fresh 99's quite easily). The other rule is don't stand in front of the lizard, breath attacks and cleaves hurt. The "safe" spot is on the claws or slightly past them being careful not to go too far past the arms.

Specifically for the story version of the fight I make sure to have trusts that can attack at range...

...because Ouryu starts flying part way through. So to make the flying stop you need the item from that side quest I mentioned. Or I can have Shantotto and Semih Lafihna fire away while I jump.

In the high tier version two earth elementals spawn when Ouryu starts flying and hitting them with a weapon skill(an AoE one works best) makes Ouryu come down. The wyrm eventually comes down on it's own but while in the air it fires some spicy earth attacks and it is best to just bring it down so your melee party members have something to do. Please do not accidentally kill the elementals because then you are forced to wait and wallow in shame as the wyrm spits earth magic at you. When it does come down you and your trusts may be in a BAD SPOT like its butt. Please wrangle your trusts to a NOT BAD SPOT as best as you can.

So without question the high tier battlefield version of this fight is the one I've done the most of any fight. It drops the item level 119 Summoner and Puppet(one for melee and one for ranged) controllers as well as one of the best pet tanking earrings. The other armor it drops is all useful in some way but not the best.

Bahamut

Tenzen I regret to inform you as awesome as I am, I can't actually fight them all.

Once again dial it back please.

:siren:Third Ode: Memoria de la S^tona:siren:

This seems important.

No wait. Hang on let me climb back up. Hang on. Just a sec. I spent several updates collecting avatars!

Piss.

Time to head back and tell everyone Tenzen dropped the ball. Soon as I finish the climb back up. Stupid battlefield.

Nevermind they are back already.

Looks like they told Despachiaire and he didn't want to believe it.

Our outing could have gone worse I guess?

This is not the time for any of this...

This is dumb, you are dumb, the church is dumb.

There is a little Visaria inside me that won't stop screaming about the wyrms in burn everything down mode.

However...

I'm sorry Ulmia I need to suplex your... Oh you are mad at Tenzen and not me? Either way I don't think Ulmia would throw us to the wolves. I've blasphemed a lot and she still hangs out with me.

Turns out Tenzen loves wolves. I don't love the T-word Nag'molada just dropped.

Tenzen was in the right trying to use Phoenix and Ulmia just wanted to help Prishe. We may have not done anything right but we didn't do anything wrong.

Also I know drat well Nag'molada and Jeuno aren't on the same page.

I sold it. Go fall off a cliff looking for it.

I am 100% not doing that. I'm gonna go put on my serious outfit then have a talk with Prishe.

Next time: No really I have agency for once in my life

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 6, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

*extremely Lloyd Christmas voice* I’VE GOT WYRMS

Tenzen just cranks all his dialogue up to 11 and it’s great. Love Bahamut and all the wyrms too, I think I saw a Fafhogg chillin’ with the posse as well. It all feels very Final Fantasy to me, maybe that’s why CoP is my favorite expansion story-wise.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love Tenzen confronting the wyrms and demanding that they respect the mortals' fighting spirit. Big flashbacks to Kiith Somtaaw trying to reason with the Bentusi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Tenzen demands respect and basically never gets it. Iroha even steals his place in all the crossovers.