Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Zesty posted:

The portals all lead directly to those plants. Except the special one, which is there.

I'm sure, as I was when I saw the portals, but handing the player an explicit fetch quest (and really the first in the game) as the Last Big Thing To Do is a weird, unnecessary thing to do, even if you proceed to hand them what they need right after. I found the rocket construction (which I did after disarming the gun because doing it before felt like hanging a noose in your bedroom closet "just in case") to be uncharacteristically needy in a similar way.

I don't think either decision was bad per se, but both were reasonably unexpected. I also expected to have to dump power into the rocket post-construction given the PDA entries about it but didn't, which at least would have tied into base construction. It just feels like we got a segment of an unrelated but similar game at the end, when i'd normally expect a game to tie the existing threads together. I guess we got a little of that, since I had to pull the lava larva remover out of my Cyclops at the last step.

GD_American posted:

I accidentally spoiled some of the endgame for myself reading about the game before I played it, so when I reached the Sea Emperor I already knew a bit of what was going to happen, and one I realized that the manner of its reveal is exactly meant to look like an endgame boss about to start beating your rear end as a fakeout right before it just tells you how happy it is to see you I kinda realized I had cheated myself of a nice little twist.

As someone who was fully unspoiled about that particular thing even existing, don't worry. They very, very clearly telegraph the intention there, and in case you didn't quite get that the earlier friendly psychic messages were from her, they hit you with "I am what... you seek. Want to... help you" as you enter the pit, and to ensure the connection is clear they also gave her the only blue eyes in the game so you can connect those particular dots easily. You missed nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Tom Tucker posted:

This whole thread opening a big can of cope branded “actually I liked using the Prawn Suit on the surface making everything take 10x longer and it wasn’t just because I couldn’t get a hang for the SnowFox controls. Also unrelated but the above water sections took sooooo long clearly bad design”

How do you even fit that on the label tho?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tom Tucker posted:

This whole thread opening a big can of cope branded “actually I liked using the Prawn Suit on the surface making everything take 10x longer and it wasn’t just because I couldn’t get a hang for the SnowFox controls. Also unrelated but the above water sections took sooooo long clearly bad design”

I will vouch, as a guy who has no fondness for the prawn and used the snowfox all over the place, (Hell even used TWO of them! since the first got thrown into the sun by physics), that the above ground sections sucked rear end. Being knocked off your bike was scary the first time, and quickly got repetative without the threat of actual danger, and the southern maze was so poorly laid out that I did the plot-heavy "excavation site" 2 seconds before winning the game, it was so goddamn off to the side.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, it goes against the entire theme of the game, but I feel like the best early-game vehicle concept might've been, like... a boat? Restricted to the surface, but you can use it to zip fast across the surface and then dive down from, and load it up with freight and stuff without having to go all the way home. But you still have to actually dive to do anything.

It's subnautica, so make it look like this

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 28, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
A seatruck definitely seems over engineered for 80% of the deliveries they're using it for in game

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, it goes against the entire theme of the game, but I feel like the best early-game vehicle concept might've been, like... a boat? Restricted to the surface, but you can use it to zip fast across the surface and then dive down from, and load it up with freight and stuff without having to go all the way home. But you still have to actually dive to do anything.

Yeah that's a weird oversight. You could even make some shallow areas that are more annoying to get a sub through but a boat could skim right over (although setting that up now might require downgrading the Seamoth equivalent again, which would feel annoying). Maybe some players would be more ready to pay attention to the surface above them and be inspired to build pipe networks.

I never really felt right using the Cyclops as a base because it was too cramped to really furnish much, maybe a boat would give me more frame of reference.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I never understood people whose favorite vehicle wasn't the Seamoth. Beautiful little Scooty Puff Jr. sounding bastard that moves like a jet fighter in the water

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

GD_American posted:

I never understood people whose favorite vehicle wasn't the Seamoth. Beautiful little Scooty Puff Jr. sounding bastard that moves like a jet fighter in the water

Seamoth’s best feature was its lack of free look which definitely amplified the anxiety of setting off into uncharted waters.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gimme full 6dof in the Seamoth a la Descent and I might place it next to the Cyclops.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think I got something very different from the game than most people, the more powerful the vehicle the less interesting the game became. I liked the unupgraded seamoth the best, once you got to put self defence mechanisms and so forth on it though it lost some of it's charms

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Oh the old seamoth was great before they nerfed the handling and the shock upgrade. You could harass, chase, and outmaneuver a reaper all day.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

GD_American posted:

Seamoth is Scooty Puff Jr, and I liked naming my Cyclops Scooty Puff Sr :)

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Getting the Seamoth in Subnautica was like being able to walk after having to crawl scraping at the ocean floor for hours

Not only the speed and feel of it but it was also the first easy way to get oxygen down to where you’re searching and opened everything up to about 250 m so the world got so much bigger right as you were able to move through it faster which is honestly such good game design it makes me jealous

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Agreed. I remember my first play through so fondly. I was always scared as poo poo to swim far from the life pod. Took me forever to even get to the kelp forests and unlock the next tier of poo poo you can build with lubricant and fiber mesh. You’re also so limited until you learn where to get reliable sources of silver/gold. It’s fantastic game design.

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018
Add me to the list of people who love the Seamoth - one of my very first posts in these forums was in this thread about how much I loved to "skim" it over the water by dipping down and up. It could really catch some air!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Zirak posted:

Add me to the list of people who love the Seamoth - one of my very first posts in these forums was in this thread about how much I loved to "skim" it over the water by dipping down and up. It could really catch some air!

There was a Subnautica mod for a few versions of Minecraft.
The best thing about it is that it felt perfect, even the cresting out of the water felt the same.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

MikeJF posted:

There'd have to be a few ways to make it a lil more obvious you're getting in different biomes, and stuff like weather would definitely help a lot to make sure it's easier to tell where you are I always thought a vehicle like this would be a much better alternative early on to the Seamoth as well. The surface is relatively safe and it helps to reinforced the fear of diving down deep especially in very deep areas where you'd just look down and see nothing but empty blue beneath you; in places like the Grand Reef in a Seamoth you can jsut safely go down in your craft, but with this you'd have to physically leave it which is a much bigger step to make.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Surface vehicles and extreme surface weather would be neat ideas for a sequel. Or more realistically a spiritual successor by a different team, I guess.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I loved the addition of weather in BZ and wish that was back-ported to OG. Obviously no snow storms, but some rain maybe a hurricane or something that ruins uncovered crops or changes the fauna, maybe making Reapers more violent and causes them to briefly explore outside of their regular areas.

Something that says "oh no, a storm is coming...." and have even a bit of actual panic.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Reapernado

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I loved the addition of weather in BZ and wish that was back-ported to OG. Obviously no snow storms, but some rain maybe a hurricane or something that ruins uncovered crops or changes the fauna, maybe making Reapers more violent and causes them to briefly explore outside of their regular areas.

Something that says "oh no, a storm is coming...." and have even a bit of actual panic.

Storms like the Degasi survivor datapads talked about would’ve been a nice touch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Icon Of Sin posted:

Storms like the Degasi survivor datapads talked about would’ve been a nice touch.

Absolutely.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Why leave the safe shallows? Well an incoming typhoon with forty-foot waves is why

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Manager Hoyden posted:

Why leave the safe shallows? Well an incoming typhoon with forty-foot waves is why

Minding your own business collecting shells in the safe shallows when suddenly the water level drops. You have a few brief moments catching some floundering fish before the tidal wave appears on the horizon.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
I passed on Below Zero for a long time due to the lackluster reception it got and it supposedly having a bigger story focus, but picked it up on summer sale and enjoyed it thoroughly. The fun per minute felt on par with the base game and it only lacked for total length.

The twisty bridges and lily pad biomes were incredible and straight outclassed everything but the lost river from the base game. Both had tons of stuff going on from the surface to the depths. The first time I dropped down into the squidshark part of the twisty bridges and was ducking and weaving between the roots to avoid getting caught was tense and cool.

The shadow leviathans in the final zones having actual pathing was like a 900% improvement over the sea dragons clipping through the ground and pelting you with snot rockets in the base game lava zones. Watching the first one thread its way around the crystal formations and disappear down into a cave opening then come back out via a different path was great. It inspired me to play a sneaky cat and mouse game even though I was invincible in the prawn suit. It didn't work out because they have a huge aggro range, but still delivered some level of tension.

My number one dislike was the new predators trapping you in bite animations. In the base game you could slide by the sharks and reaper attacks to avoid the dead center big bites, but it felt like squid sharks and and leviathans and the ground trap things would lock you into animations if their distance was less than X even if you were outside their mouth angle. It was particularly annoying with the squidsharks because after escaping the bite you also couldn't knife them to chase them away because they had no tail hitbox.

Sea Truck was vastly inferior to the Sea Moth but still felt fine because it pushed me to do more sea gliding and that fit the pace/size of the game pretty well.

I stuck to the go deeper/farther paradigm and didn't try to follow the story at all and it worked out smoothly gameplay-wise but I had no idea why the Alterra people weren't around and why nothing was ever resolved about the insufferable boss or beleaguered sea trucker Fred. The green pings were actually nice because any time I didn't know where to find a material I could go to them and it would open up some new tech. Marguerit getting introduced like a borderlands character didn't give me a good first impression, but the overall execution of her continued story was well done.

Alan was dumb as hell. Sad british companion who doesn't understand emotions or sarcasm did nothing for me and he didn't feel alien at all. Then the ending/epilogue where you build his divine techno centaur body and fly away to neverland in a concrete box with rusty playground equipment handles was a complete farce. I might still rate it above the base game's epilogue because I didn't have to actually doing anything compared to the tedious chore of the Neptune resource gathering spree, but it was easily the low point of the game.

Built my base in the most uncreative place possible, next to a quest marker in the lily pad biome. Didn't feel like there were many good alternatives although I liked the atmosphere of eye jelly area and the ventgarden area seemed okay for a thermal base.

Ended up with just under 15 hours playtime, which is slightly more than I'd spend on a replay of the main game. Could have been a bit more if I built anything but the most basic base, but I felt satisfied with just teching up and reaching the ending.

gnoma fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 3, 2023

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Mike the TV posted:

Minding your own business collecting shells in the safe shallows when suddenly the water level drops. You have a few brief moments catching some floundering fish before the tidal wave appears on the horizon.

Ha yeah something like that scene out of Interstellar.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

So I'm finally getting around to playing Below Zero. I can see why there's no Seamoth or Cyclops, given what they did with the environment design. I still miss my giant submarine.

A spoilery question: Y/N

Do I need ever need to come back to the various minor alien curios I'm finding for Alan? I imagine any larger discoveries will be obvious, but I'm not sure about the little ones.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Teledahn posted:

So I'm finally getting around to playing Below Zero. I can see why there's no Seamoth or Cyclops, given what they did with the environment design. I still miss my giant submarine.

Do I need ever need to come back to the various minor alien curios I'm finding for Alan? I imagine any larger discoveries will be obvious, but I'm not sure about the little ones.

No.

Just scan them, scavenge anything around if applicable (there's no Ion Cube fountain unlike Subnautica vanilla so yoink all of those), and you're done game mechanics wise.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Let us know what you think as you play through.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Teledahn posted:

Scan enough little ones and he remembers locations of the big ones and advanced blueprints like the ion batteries and other stuff.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm playing Subnautica on my Switch and I'm seeing more content than the first time I played it on PC (I stopped because a bug deleted my save file). I figured out how to unlock the force field at the alien platform - I totally missed the lock my first time playing. So I read a lot of exposition that I missed the first time.

Also, there's an underwater enemy that looks kinda like a Xenomorph with praying mantis claws - I first encountered one next to the alien base, so I thought it was one of the sentient aliens. Now I've seen a few, and I think it's just one of the underwater carnivores.

I'm enjoying the game a lot more now that I've turned off hunger. I was never in danger of starving, but I spent half my time on the chore of catching and cooking fish.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Zesty posted:

Let us know what you think as you play through.

I don't really know why it's taken me so long to play it. I think I heard about how much of a different experience it was and shelved it for later. Recently I watched a blind LP of Subnautica, which inspired me to replay it. I've since had a bit more free time and booted up the sequel. It's certainly different, but still has some of the same magic.

I was stuck with the Seatruck without depth upgrades and no rebreather for quite a while, which made exploring deep rather tricky. I've since improved both but am still without the high capacity air tank, which is a bother, but the truck cab itself can sneak into most of the regions and suit itself to refill my air. Annoyingly I have the ultra-capacity tank unlocked, but it's an upgrade of the mid-tier version...

Amusingly I built my first non-tube base right on top of the SOS signal. I'm amassing a pile of most of the basic resources, so mostly I think I'm limited by blueprints/fragments and figuring out where to find specific rare items. Like where the heck 'Spiral plants' are. (Don't answer that please.)

Thus far it seems like most of the large predators have been scaled down, and don't seem very threatening. (We'll see how wrong I may be)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Spiral plants are annoying but in a neat place.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

Teledahn posted:

Thus far it seems like most of the large predators have been scaled down, and don't seem very threatening. (We'll see how wrong I may be)

I AM WRONG.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Teledahn posted:

I AM WRONG.

I soooo wanted to correct you, but this way was better!

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

I love this game. I made a toilet.

Loaded the thread from the last time I check it, and found a curiously prophetic post. Shitpost two years too early.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like building a scenic shitter is one of the fundamental universal experiences in Below Zero.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Loaded the thread from the last time I check it, and found a curiously prophetic post. Shitpost two years too early.

Who wants to walk that far to use the restroom? Just go aquadumping.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

:lol: Wow, fun facts:

In Below Zero if you ram an aggroing, snarling Cryptosuchus head-on at normal speed in a Seatruck, it will break its neck on your windscreen and die from the attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Vanilla Seatruck is very funny that way. Because I have no self control, I then picked up the Seatruck speed upgrades mod and it became Bonkbote, bruiser of leviathans. I had a great many giggles that playthrough saying bonk every time I hit something.