Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

What's the deal with Nazis and painting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Toxic Mental posted:

Other way around.

All painters are Nazis.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Mental posted:

Vision

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
Not just painting, art in general. The link between failed artist careers and bitter hard-right politics is well-established. Shapiro couldn't make it in hollywood, several failed painters...and god look up the failed stand-up comedians sometime.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Prigozhin did not paint that book but most likely wrote it himself.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
And the ''neutral'' Swiss were happy to store it for the nazis

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1677747805325017088
Tatarigami has a good thread here about a captured document detailing the vatnik tactics on the Zaporizhzhia front. Going over those tactics, it's probably just as well that Russian methods of centralized command are as ineffective and inefficient as they are.

Doesn't matter how good a thread it is, people without Twitter accounts can't read anything but the first tweet you linked.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Doesn't matter how good a thread it is, people without Twitter accounts can't read anything but the first tweet you linked.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1677747805325017088.html still works

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bertha the Toaster posted:

There's ways around that, and just like paywalled articles, should imo be left as an exercise to the reader (instead of complaining about it).

Unless I missed mod/admin ruling on this?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Liquid Chicken posted:

I'm the box of two watermelons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpVXpCNFOSg

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

spankmeister posted:

There's ways around that, and just like paywalled articles, should imo be left as an exercise to the reader (instead of complaining about it).

If you want people to engage with your uncommented on link then you need to do the legwork and not leave it up to people to spend time trying to figure out if its even worth their time or not.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Maybe there should be. A lot of stuff just get posted without comment and its a massive pain to find some exploit that may or may not work depending on Musk's ever changing mood.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

capitalcomma posted:

Not just painting, art in general. The link between failed artist careers and bitter hard-right politics is well-established. Shapiro couldn't make it in hollywood, several failed painters...and god look up the failed stand-up comedians sometime.

I contend the rise and reign and end of Benito Mussolini was one of history's most elaborate performance art projects.

"LOL, U MAD?!"
"Yeah, we're pretty pissed" BAM
*looney toons extro-theme, Porky Pig*: "th-th-t-ththat's all folks!"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i dont think nafo has really led to there being less russian propaganda/info efforts but what it has done is ensured that the comment sections of that poo poo are full of dog avatar guys making GBS threads on pro-z morons 24/7 which is apparently aggravating the gently caress out of pro-z types. which is hilarious and ultimately probably pretty good for the ~info space~.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 9, 2023

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Mental posted:

I'd make a Venn Diagram to explain it, but that would make me either a painter or a nazi, and I'm not risking either, frankly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

spankmeister posted:

Not a mod in GBS but as a poster here in my opinion a poster shouldn't expect a reader of their post to try and find a way around a pay or login-wall, it's nice as a courtesy do the work and post the info in a form that is readable for everyone.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Mistle posted:

I'd make a Venn Diagram to explain it, but that would make me either a painter or a nazi, and I'm not risking either, frankly.

:perfect:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The George W Bush of Russia

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not a mod in GBS but as a poster here in my opinion a poster shouldn't expect a reader of their post to try and find a way around a pay or login-wall, it's nice as a courtesy do the work and post the info in a form that is readable for everyone.

Yeah this, it isn't going to be a formal thing unless a gbs mod wants to make it one, but it is good and kind to help people see stuff you're linking.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I think it's bad I think we need more posting paywalls from now on you cant read my posts unless you pay me :10bux: a month this is the law now

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
If you read even one post without paying me you're stealing

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nooner posted:

I think it's bad I think we need more posting paywalls from now on you cant read my posts unless you pay me :10bux: a month this is the law now

Nooner posted:

If you read even one post without paying me you're stealing

quoting is post piracy :yarr:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i put all my best posts behind spoiler tags, and my posting EULA requires you to pay me before mousing over

unfortunately i haven't authored my best posts yet, so i can't show any examples

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great news for Ukraine - They have made gains of 1 kilometer in the direction of Bakhmut, and the Russians are hitting the Ukrainian artillery units much less

https://edition.cnn.com/europe/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-news-07-08-23/index.html

6 hr 16 min ago

Gradual gains around Bakhmut: Troops have advanced about 1 kilometer in the direction of the battered eastern city, Ukrainian officials said Friday. Artillery units firing at Bakhmut have seen tangible progress in pushing the Russians away, Ukrainian fighters told a CNN team reporting from the eastern front. "The Russians are falling back. We know because they hit us much less," according to one gunner.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Thats good news but as the CNN article says these are only gradual gains, lets not get too excited fizzy

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Flavahbeast posted:

Thats good news but as the CNN article says these are only gradual gains, lets not get too excited fizzy

It's kinda their gimmick though

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Russia - By the admission of their own propaganda media, Russia is unable to stop Ukraine from launching artillery attacks against Russia's illegally-annexed territory, testimony to the strength of Ukraine's military and the inability of Russia to protect its (self-proclaimed) "own" territory

https://tass.com/russia/1644331

Kiev troops shell Donetsk twice early on Sunday
9 Jul, 09:48

MOSCOW, July 9. /TASS/. At least two shelling attacks on Donetsk, the administrative center of the Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR), were registered in the early hours of Sunday, the DPR mission to the Joint Center for Control and Coordination of issues related to Ukraine’s war crimes said.

"One Ukrainian shelling attack was registered <…> at 1:45 a.m. [Moscow time], coming from the settlement of Netaylovo and targeting the city of Donetsk (Kievsky District). Five 155mm artillery shells were fired," the mission said on its Telegram channel.

Later, the center reported that five more 155mm shells were launched in the same direction at 2:20 a.m. Moscow time, towards the city’s Kievsky and Kuibyshevsky districts.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

A 1km gain translates to taking a trenchline. The larger gain here would be the suggestion of local artillery dominance, either due to Russian units running low on shells or losing too many guns/tubes, leaving them unable to maintain counter battery efforts. That would make further gains more rapid and less costly.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Yeah this, it isn't going to be a formal thing unless a gbs mod wants to make it one, but it is good and kind to help people see stuff you're linking.

If there was one reliable site to use for twitter links it would be great to have everyone use that. I'm not sure if that exists right now though, twitter is utter chaos.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

finallly russian soldiers getting food and water

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/IhateTrenches/status/1677779004206481408
(source is a foreign legion soldier fighting in Ukraine)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Call my cynical, but I do wonder why Edrogan released the prisoners in the first place. I wouldn't trust it to be from the kindness of his own heart.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Samovar posted:

Call my cynical, but I do wonder why Edrogan released the prisoners in the first place. I wouldn't trust it to be from the kindness of his own heart.

He presumably saw some benefit in it? That's how countries normally operate.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah to me every time a country does something that seems clearly good even when we cynically (and appropriately) expect them to not do something good, it is probably just more evidence that absolutely nobody outside Russia believes Russia is going to win this war and they know there is no benefit to be had to cozy up to them

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

DiomedesGodshill posted:

How did that boat not sink under the weight of Zelenskyy's massive balls?

speaking of, I hear willo's balls are due to retire next wednesday

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

sebmojo posted:

He presumably saw some benefit in it? That's how countries normally operate.

Well, yes undeniably. But I am curious as to what that benefit is.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Samovar posted:

Well, yes undeniably. But I am curious as to what that benefit is.

Yeah. What's the relationship between Russia and turkey like?

E: aside from slightly worse than it was a few days ago obv

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

sebmojo posted:

Yeah. What's the relationship between Russia and turkey like?

E: aside from slightly worse than it was a few days ago obv

Historically? Not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I feel like Turkey's got a long-term strategy of cultivating influence over former Russian client states, and trying to at least snag some military contracts as they do. The Bayraktar drones have been important for Ukraine and apparently were a decisive factor in the Armenia-Azerbaijan war. The coverage I saw of that conflict seemed to indicate Russia only showed up for mop-up duties towards the end of that, whereas Azerbaijan was leveraging Turkish drones the whole time.

Turkey also got the boot from the F-35 program for negotiating for the S-400 air defense system at the same time. Erdogan got caught trying to play both sides against each other, and I have to wonder if that was a long-shot gamble to bolster Turkey's military-industrial complex by getting access to as much advanced tech as they could. He definitely has already seen that Moscow is in long-term decline, and wants to strengthen his position as a regional power with an eye towards being a global power. Letting the Saudis get away with murdering Khashoggi in Turkey was probably part of that too.