Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

He loving rules

Lol at no one covering 3rd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I will go to my grave arguing that a combined no-hitter is a better accomplishment than a 1 pitcher no-hitter.

what the

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
N: Ken Rosenthal says the Angels aren't trading Shohei Ohtani

V: lol

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

:stare:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Edward Mass posted:

I'm sure the sweet sweet comp pick they get back for him will be worth it!

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
owns way too hard

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I'm all for sports teams social media teams going full dork

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1677787228494282752

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm all for sports teams social media teams going full dork

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1677787228494282752

The Reds are so much fun at every level. I'm happy for those fans.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ohtani is basically a lock for the AL MVP, but if he does get traded to the NL, does Ohtani get screwed out of a MVP?

Voters are smarter than they used to be, but the GP would be lacking either way. Are voters allowed to consider opposite league stats in case of a mid-season trade

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I will go to my grave arguing that a combined no-hitter is a better accomplishment than a 1 pitcher no-hitter.

Mods?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

well it is a team accomplishment after all

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ohtani is basically a lock for the AL MVP, but if he does get traded to the NL, does Ohtani get screwed out of a MVP?

Voters are smarter than they used to be, but the GP would be lacking either way. Are voters allowed to consider opposite league stats in case of a mid-season trade

I think if that happens the Angels get disbanded for trading the mvp

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I’m at the futures game and the AL doesn’t seem to have much of a future.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Wayne Knight posted:

Tigers prospects have gotten on base 3 times :colbert:

We won't talk about their gloves though...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The Rangers are reverting into dookie

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wayne Knight posted:

I was listening to a Keith Law podcast earlier this week and either he or his guest mentioned that teams can veto sending certain guys to the game

The AL sent very few good pitchers overall. Only one of them, the guy who was starting, is in the MLB Top 100 prospects.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Edward Mass posted:

Lmao Adell is hurt now too.

They're running out of spots on the 40 man roster because of everyone on the 10 day IL so they're keeping guys that are hurt and can't play on the active roster instead. They've got no bench because Rendon and Ward can't play.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Grem posted:

I think if that happens the Angels get disbanded for trading the mvp

But it's fine to have the most valuable asset in the majors leave for nothing?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He should win both the NL and AL MVP

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Rays looking like frauds again

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

In a 2-run game in just the 3rd inning, the Angels intentionally walked Mookie Betts (.970 OPS) to load the based for Freddie Freeman (.955 OPS). Freeman and Smith both promptly doubled.

:thunk:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
My friend is so smug about the Braves overtaking the Rays this season despite the braves being 4 games behind.

I'm terrified of Acuna and Arcia tho. Those two and Murphy are going to probably way better players than my Ray's outfielders esp because the Rays bench is starting to wind down just a little. But I guess there's still like 60 games to go so anything can happen.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Edward Mass posted:

Part of me knows this is the "wrong" thing to do but a large part of me also thinks it's good to let Angels fans (of which there are many more today because of Ohtani!) enjoy the whole season with him there. It reminds me a lot of the Robinson Cano discourse and how the Yankees "wasted" his last season by not trading him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1677768419116974082

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if Ohtani being such a unicorn makes it more difficult to trade him as a rental player. Staffs might not know how to handle him and his work load, he'd be working with new catchers and facing new pitchers and there's just a lot of uncertainty around how that might effect him if at all.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

I wonder if Ohtani being such a unicorn makes it more difficult to trade him as a rental player. Staffs might not know how to handle him and his work load, he'd be working with new catchers and facing new pitchers and there's just a lot of uncertainty around how that might effect him if at all.

I mean, is it any different from any player being traded though?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Shohei is a great player who's totally wasted on the Angels, if he were on the Jays or the Diamondbacks tho

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, is it any different from any player being traded though?

Not necessarily but I think there is so much hype around Ohtani (deservedly) that the Angels or at least fans would expect to get a haul to feel even somewhat ok with dealing him as a rental and other teams might be hesitant to pay that price.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I don't know if you could even make a fair trade package for Ohtani. Like, what the hell would that even look like?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Tampa Bae posted:

My friend is so smug about the Braves overtaking the Rays this season despite the braves being 4 games behind.

I'm terrified of Acuna and Arcia tho. Those two and Murphy are going to probably way better players than my Ray's outfielders esp because the Rays bench is starting to wind down just a little. But I guess there's still like 60 games to go so anything can happen.

if the Rays can get healthy they'll be just fine by the end of the year, they'll probably be more glad for the break than anyone. even with this July swoon they have the best record in the AL by 2 full games, though the Orioles are making a push

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

blossommirage posted:

I don't know if you could even make a fair trade package for Ohtani. Like, what the hell would that even look like?

I mean, it would be different if he still had some years left on his contract. But for a rental the price probably won’t be as crazy as you think

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Not necessarily but I think there is so much hype around Ohtani (deservedly) that the Angels or at least fans would expect to get a haul to feel even somewhat ok with dealing him as a rental and other teams might be hesitant to pay that price.

blossommirage posted:

This is the other thing, you can't possibly make a trade that feels like the Angels did OK.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I mean, it would be different if he still had some years left on his contract. But for a rental the price probably won’t be as crazy as you think

That's what I mean by it seems like it would be difficult to move Ohtani. He is a one man show, the Angels would want a haul for him because fans would rightfully be very upset to see him moved during a season they are at least somewhat competitive. Everyone is watching and following Ohtani. How do you put together a rental package for him when there might also be question marks surrounding bringing in a 2 way player your organization might not have the experience in handling?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Popete posted:

Ohtani calls his own pitches on pitchcom, I don't think there'd be much issues with a new catcher. The Angels are so stunted as an organization I wouldn't be surprised if they were holding him back.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

elentar posted:

if the Rays can get healthy they'll be just fine by the end of the year, they'll probably be more glad for the break than anyone. even with this July swoon they have the best record in the AL by 2 full games, though the Orioles are making a push
Luckily the Rays rely on random pitchers who nobody knows how to hit against and some of the best outfielders in the league and lol that guys like Siri and Arozarena aren't even the best players on the team, aren't the Rays still one of the teams that spend the least money on players in the league

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

bUt aRRaEz

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

bUt aRRaEz

I mean Arraez is still better this year and would be a needed upgrade to the twins offense but he'd also be replacing guys who have been our best hitters this year (Julien, Solano, Kiriloff) because of position overlap whereas Lopez is replacing....I dunno, whoever our fifth starter would be without him. Varland maybe? Either way it's a much bigger gap.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

blossommirage posted:

yeah this was essentially the argument on a recent EW pod and I tend to agree with it

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Pretty much, Angels sniffed the wild card so far, if you trade Ohtani whatever you're getting better take you to that point or better. But it won't, because no one is giving that up for a rental. Angel fans like myself, who have lived horrible, horrible lives because of this team, would implode in anger. Well actually that makes a trade seem pretty likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Gorman Thomas posted:

Ohtani calls his own pitches on pitchcom, I don't think there'd be much issues with a new catcher. The Angels are so stunted as an organization I wouldn't be surprised if they were holding him back.

He is supposed to be almost impossible to catch. Last I checked, he has thrown the most different pitches this season of any pitcher, coming in at nine. His pitches also run like motherfuckers on top of it all. That's why he leads the league in wild pitches.

That backup catcher the Angels have been using has been amazing to catch Ohtani on no notice.

I know the Angels are coming into the ASB like a plane on fire with one wing. But they're going to want to see how they start the second half of the season before they begin to assess if they are going to compete for a wild card or not. I genuinely don't know if there is a more injured team in baseball right now.