Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I like how the backstory is being doled out in piecemeal as opposed to getting dumped on us all at once like in the previous animated series.

Also we’re only two episodes in and I think this show already has my favorite versions of Lois and Jimmy (this interpretation of Clark is really good too)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Called it

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Pakled posted:

Are we sure Jor-El wasn't just speaking Italian

You can always do a Kryptonian accent. It's never racist.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

You can always do a Kryptonian accent. It's never racist.

Luthor: Is that a challenge?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In this version the hologram of Jor-El is an old Italian guy who explains how there are like five words that are the n-word for Italians, and so Italians are really oppressed, except it’s about Kryptonians.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
My only beef with the new Superman show is that I can’t find a streaming site to watch episode 2 as I do not have cable :argh:

Also the blue electricity eyes power up is a little weird but nbd

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

My only beef with the new Superman show is that I can’t find a streaming site to watch episode 2 as I do not have cable :argh:

It's totally setting up a big hype/terrifying moment where the light turns red and he lasers something in half.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jor-El sounded a bit like Lobo on Young Justice and now I want to see a superman story where Lobo is Clark's biological dad.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Both episodes are on Max (at least in the US).

I never watched TTG. Did they ever do a Deathstroke censor joke? I can imagine them calling him different comedy versions of his name like Le’MorteAneurism or 死脳出血.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
I'm really glad they went with a younger Slade with two functioning eyes cuz the other animated versions of him never really went into his backstory much. I wanna see this dude get divorced with extreme prejudice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

VibrantPareidolia posted:

I'm really glad they went with a younger Slade with two functioning eyes cuz the other animated versions of him never really went into his backstory much. I wanna see this dude get divorced with extreme prejudice.

From his eyeball? Because most other forms of divorce imply marriage, and that seems like a big, big reach for this version of Slade.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

AlternateNu posted:

Both episodes are on Max (at least in the US).

I never watched TTG. Did they ever do a Deathstroke censor joke? I can imagine them calling him different comedy versions of his name like Le’MorteAneurism or 死脳出血.

Unalivestroke

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really shouldn't read Twitter about the superman show.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Arc Hammer posted:

I really shouldn't read Twitter

Could have just ended it there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sentence structure is key so as to not bury the lede. It's like people are looking for reasons to hate the show and I really don't get it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I don't get it either as I was hooked right from the first few minutes (Lois has the same dorky yet awesome qualities I loved in Luz from Owl House and Adora from SPoP and the others are great too)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Pakled posted:

Are we sure Jor-El wasn't just speaking Italian

I'm told it's Esperanto.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
What year does this show take place in? I noticed in the beginning that when kid Clark saved that mother and child, there was a smartphone in the van, and in present day, Lois had a hologram projector or something when she was talking to the chief.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This is so frustrating to watch play out in real time

https://twitter.com/bfredmuggs/status/1677870288724426752

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The first episode of the Superman show didn't quite grab me and I don't think it'll end up being for me. That said, I do like the design of the characters and how emotive they can be - it's a real refreshing change of that really bland in-house style they used for like 90% of all those animated films. It's also nice having a Superman cartoon around again and it seemingly connecting with an audience is great! I'm glad people are liking it, even if it's not for me.

Took long enough for one to be made, if you ask me. Really should have had more Superman cartoons after Justice League ended a billion years ago.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Justice League action was good but drat did no one watch it or promote it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Superman: did Brad loving die?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I don't know. It was kind of unclear.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Arc Hammer posted:

I really shouldn't read Twitter about the superman show.

Other than the usual "I need more white in my cereal" bunch, I had a big hearty lol at a dude who just kinda forgot that Superman has super speed and melted down about it.

Also a bunch of people really overestimating Josie Campbell's influence on the show. Jake has been working on a pitch for a Superman cartoon as long as I've known him and his weeby fingerprints are slammed all over this thing. He was heading every design meeting, working with every writer, even animating some scenes himself. So evidently a white Christian family man from the deep South is just too woke for some folks. Dude literally teaches Sunday school.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
Yes, but a WOMAN touched it at some point, thus tainting the entire show and is the cause of everything I don't like in it!!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's absolutely nuts and I feel so sorry for Josie. Anything she every touches, no matter how small, will make her the scapegoat for these twats.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Well those two episodes were fantastic, so you can ignore the haters. Now I have to wait on newer ones. It is toonami all over again. Except it is a series of odd esoteric streaming services these days instead of stolen satellite because dad didn't want to pay for all his sports channels..

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Twibbit posted:

Well those two episodes were fantastic, so you can ignore the haters. Now I have to wait on newer ones. It is toonami all over again. Except it is a series of odd esoteric streaming services these days instead of stolen satellite because dad didn't want to pay for all his sports channels..

They are also airing the new episodes on toonami like two days later lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Justice League action was good but drat did no one watch it or promote it

Semi-related the second version of DC Super Hero Girls show was a lot of fun with my favorite iteration of Supergirl, portrayed as a good-natured thug who just wanted to rock out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I’m curious if Supergirl (or any other DC hero) will eventually make their way into the new series like they did in STAS

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Das Boo posted:

Other than the usual "I need more white in my cereal" bunch, I had a big hearty lol at a dude who just kinda forgot that Superman has super speed and melted down about it.

Amazing. What about "faster than a speeding bullet" flew past this guy?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Kids cartoon chat is just especially terrible because on top of all the spicy takes you also have "cartoons were better when I was a kid" going on at all times.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Neeksy posted:

It's Flash's power to go fast! Flash's!
It was pretty funny to see a bunch of people pulling up endless pics of the speeding bullet line, Superman Blue, and a reoccurring comic gag where Supes and Flash race.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mycot posted:

Kids cartoon chat is just especially terrible because on top of all the spicy takes you also have "cartoons were better when I was a kid" going on at all times.
Mt kid's been watching MotU and it's kind of nice to see the dumb positive messages at the end of shows.

Also kind of :psyduck:
One was basically "hey kids, your dad may not say it or hug you, but he loves you"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How long did the PSA era last anyway? I seem to remember a few popping up in early 90’s cartoons as well

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

FilthyImp posted:

Mt kid's been watching MotU and it's kind of nice to see the dumb positive messages at the end of shows.

One was basically "hey kids, your dad may not say it or hug you, but he loves you"

A very depressing number of kids need that message. See also: Fred Rogers.

Das Boo posted:

It's Flash's power to go fast! Flash's!
It was pretty funny to see a bunch of people pulling up endless pics of the speeding bullet line, Superman Blue, and a reoccurring comic gag where Supes and Flash race.

Those races were for *charity*, Clark.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Watching the Power of Grayskull documentary shortly after the first part of MotU: Revelation dropped was funny because the Filmation folks loving HATED having to shove those moral messages in at the end of every episode and they made fun of them all time.

mycot posted:

I've actually tried to put this to the test and go back and watch some of the stuff that was on when I was a kid and about 75% of the time my reaction has been "Oh holy poo poo, this is loving garbage."

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Neeksy posted:

It turned out at least one of those people were talking about the blue lightning effect he had rather than super speed, which is still stupid mind you as flash didn't start out with that either

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

mycot posted:

Cartoons WERE better when I was a kid.
Because I was too stupid to know better, and was easily entertained by literally any garbage :smuggo:

The agony of going back and going wow yeah this sucks rear end means I'm never going to revisit a few of my favorites. They can stay as hazy golden memories for me :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I did a rewatch of Samurai Jack in the lead up to Season 5 and was pleased to see that it was still badass. Unfortunately, then season 5 happened :smith: