Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I loving loved Doom Eternal from start to finish, if you’re looking for a new doom experience though you aren’t getting it. It’s a hyper demanding game that you have to play on its terms. I get why that upsets people but the glee I get from conquering its mechanics and slaughtering demons is unmatched in any fps for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

err....

Lots of things can be said about it, but Doomguy is slow as gently caress in Doom Eternal.

weird that you're referring to doomguy as "it"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the literal movement speed of the player character is only one part of what makes a game fast/slow

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Turin Turambar posted:

err....

Lots of things can be said about it, but Doomguy is slow as gently caress in Doom Eternal.

don’t think so

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Andrigaar posted:

:jerkbag:

Don't like Eternal. Regardless of difficulty, it's too exhausting and eventually I get bored from the endless combat and go. Same reason I uninstalled Boltgun after beating that. Some people are into that, others aren't.

Is the game bad? Nah, it's very competent, looks great, and runs on almost anything because it scales so well. Fun to play? Well the last page shows you that there's no middle ground. You either swear upon it when taking an oath or toss it in the bin after you finish the campaign once.

Mordja posted:

Skill issue.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

An Actual Princess posted:

weird that you're referring to doomguy as "it"

About it => about the game.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I tried Doom Eternal and wasn't a big fan, I can appreciate what it's going for but I don't think it's for me.

still better than Doom 3

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

1stGear posted:

Not a lot of people know this but there was actually a version of Doom 2016 made in 1993. Its a solid little game, people in this thread might enjoy it.

Meh, I hear they took out glory kills

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

About it => about the game.

the point was that saying that “it’s fast” isn’t the same thing as saying “doomguy has fast movement”

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
ULTRAKILL does the "wacky fast-paced weapon combo combat" better than Doom Eternal :colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Hmmmm….

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ultrakill looks like a PS1 game lol why would anyone want to play it?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it’s true that ultrakill is poggers but the good thing about video games is that u can play both of them

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

did you come here in a time machine from 2011 or are you just like this

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I tried Doom Eternal and wasn't a big fan, I can appreciate what it's going for but I don't think it's for me.

still better than Doom 3

:same:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dieting Hippo posted:

ULTRAKILL does the "wacky fast-paced weapon combo combat" better than Doom Eternal :colbert:

yeah

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Doom Eternal is the Korean MMO timer juggling of FPSs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

C.M. Kruger posted:

you just use the chainsaw now and again lol

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mordja posted:

Ultrakill looks like a PS1 game lol why would anyone want to play it?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Doom 2016 is great but Doom Eternal is amazing

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

C.M. Kruger posted:

Yup

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Do4m and Eternal being marketed as Doom games is a bit of a stem for a lot of the issues they have I think. They're terrible doom games, but they're totally serviceable modern FPSs that fit a certain mold of plate spinning repetition game design that got popular with Dark Souls. It works alright, but it's not doom.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
OH LOOK ITS loving DOOM ETERNAL TALK HHHHHHHHHGNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG

(eternal is better)

C.M. Kruger posted:

ok, this is utterly bizarre to me. Unless you're going for a 100% Ultra Nightmare run; things like quickswitch weapon combos, chainsaw invincibility frames, memorizing demon spawn points blah blah blah - are all completely unnecessary.

Eternal on HMP/UV is a great game, doesn't require bullshit twitch skills, and has balanced the gameplay of "Kill all the demons in enough different ways in enough different environments so I won't get bored before the end"

People say that Eternal is 2016 turned up to 11, but you can turn it down a bit yourself.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Doom games: Doom, Doom II, Doom 64
Not Doom games: Doom 3, Doom RPG, DOOM 2016, DOOM ETERNAL, and Mighty DOOM.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Never met a Doom I didn"t like.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

:hmmyes:

And I'd posit Doom 3 as being the best non-doom doom game.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

God damnit the word doom is starting to look weird.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Doom RPG II escapes to live another day!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jehde posted:

God damnit the word doom is starting to look weird.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It still annoys me they just called it DOOM. It's one of the most well known games of all time you can't do that! Like when titled they The Thing prequel The Thing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jehde posted:

Do4m and Eternal being marketed as Doom games is a bit of a stem for a lot of the issues they have I think. They're terrible doom games, but they're totally serviceable modern FPSs that fit a certain mold of plate spinning repetition game design that got popular with Dark Souls. It works alright, but it's not doom.
what "plate spinning repetition game design" did dark souls popularize exactly

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Assepoester posted:

RagnarRox touts Ashes 2063 / Ashes Afterglow as a free Doom mod that shames modern AAA shooters

I know IcarusLives already covered Ashes extensively but the more attention the merrier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5_zJoJhbOM

I just watched this and it’s really bad. He and his collaborator Michael are like “we got really into Doom” and somehow they never heard of Strife I guess since they talk about dialogue trees as being some totally new poo poo. Also they try and give suggestions for other Doom WADs to play and pick 3 classics then totally whiff on actually discussing them. Eternal Doom isn’t “the one that started it all” and you should probably mention the infamous puzzles. Telling people to play Sunlust without mentioning the combat or showing the actual architecture is just criminal. (The third is project A.L.T. which I can’t personally comment on). Recommending these to players who haven’t touched Plutonia is misguided.

Makes me want to play Ashes, sure, but whoof overall.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

IronicDongz posted:

what "plate spinning repetition game design" did dark souls popularize exactly

You have to maintain your stamina, your health, your crops, and your chakras.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Love them or hate them, the one thing we can all agree on about the last few Doom games is they are not relevant to the thread topic.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Dieting Hippo posted:

way better

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Anyone who didn't like Doom 3's pace and wanted more from the game should check out Doom 3: Phobos.

Made by the guys that did RTC-3057 for Zdoom.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mike Arthur McVein posted:

Love them or hate them, the one thing we can all agree on about the last few Doom games is they are not relevant to the thread topic.

idk it seems more than anything the commercial success of them seemed to kick off the whole throwback revival among the kinda mainstream. Really this seems the "every shooter that isn't a pseudo-realistic war or counterterrorist fps thread" at this point

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

did you come here in a time machine from 2011 or are you just like this

Just another gimmick posting on this forum :rolleyes:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Gonna have to learn to keep my big mouth shut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Gonna have to learn to keep my big mouth shut

No, you asked a legit question that some posters explained their reasons. Gimmick posting is something that should be gone a decade away or kept in subforums made for that.