Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

If I want to watch Stardom for the first time (not literally, but like, first time in four years at least), is that last PPV with the cage match on it a reasonable entry point? Or should I go back to the big Yokohama show or some other one?

Been watching TJPW with my sister while I've been visiting family, and now she's asking about Stardom since I've referenced it a lot as the Serious Workrate Joshi Company. Figure we could watch some big show together, or maybe just find a few matches

The main event is the blowoff to a months long storyline about Utami being a poo poo leader of QQ and Oedo Tai having their number in multi-mans and generally being bastards from hell, so you might not get as much out of it if you haven't kept up, but it's like the best booked match of the year for them so it's not exactly hard to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

abraham linksys posted:

If I want to watch Stardom for the first time (not literally, but like, first time in four years at least), is that last PPV with the cage match on it a reasonable entry point? Or should I go back to the big Yokohama show or some other one?

Been watching TJPW with my sister while I've been visiting family, and now she's asking about Stardom since I've referenced it a lot as the Serious Workrate Joshi Company. Figure we could watch some big show together, or maybe just find a few matches

The big Yokohama show is my show of the year fullstop in wrestling but the queens quest v oedi tai cagematch is my stardom match of the year but it might require a level of an investment in Utami that someone coming in fresh might not have

Edit

As yea ok says its pretty perfectly booked and everyone across the two groups gets a ton of shine. So even coming in fresh I'd imagine the match will still be really good.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 9, 2023

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Utami vs. Billie about to start

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I'll never complain about bad color balance or bad audio on World ever again

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

yea ok posted:

Utami vs. Billie about to start

Got the fite plus free trial to specifically just to watch the red queen

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

abraham linksys posted:

The difference between Stardom and TJPW is that Stardom is going to have way better big shows most of the time but require a whole lot of context and the wrestling is great versus watching TJPW where every wrestler is summed up in a sentence and the shows are good every time.

It's Waffle House versus a 4* steakhouse. Sometimes you're going to go to that steakhouse and have a great time, sometimes you're going to go to that steakhouse and have an off night but at Waffle House you get average food every single time and sometimes a great meal but at worst it's good enough and consistent so you can't complain

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Good little match

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Utami good as ever

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tampa Bae posted:

The difference between Stardom and TJPW is that Stardom is going to have way better big shows most of the time but require a whole lot of context and the wrestling is great versus watching TJPW where every wrestler is summed up in a sentence and the shows are good every time.

It's Waffle House versus a 4* steakhouse. Sometimes you're going to go to that steakhouse and have a great time, sometimes you're going to go to that steakhouse and have an off night but at Waffle House you get average food every single time and sometimes a great meal but at worst it's good enough and consistent so you can't complain

Also a lady in a superhero mask is gonna pull a gun on the short order cook.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

yea ok posted:

I'll never complain about bad color balance or bad audio on World ever again

I wonder if Marvelous ever replaced that camera that made it so nobody was sure whether Mio Momono's gear was pink or orange for years

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016

Tampa Bae posted:

TJPW makes me go "haha" and STARDOM makes me go "oooo that looks like it hurt quite badly". Comedy wrestling is the best poo poo to me (when it's done well) so I'm always gonna gravitate to those kinds of promotions, but yeah if you're ignoring STARDOM altogether you're crazy. Whenever I sit down and watch a Mayu Iwatani match I always come away thinking she is easily one of the best wrestlers in the world

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

this kid is nuts posted:

TJPW makes me go "haha" and STARDOM makes me go "oooo that looks like it hurt quite badly". Comedy wrestling is the best poo poo to me (when it's done well) so I'm always gonna gravitate to those kinds of promotions, but yeah if you're ignoring STARDOM altogether you're crazy. Whenever I sit down and watch a Mayu Iwatani match I always come away thinking she is easily one of the best wrestlers in the world
I think mayu iwatani's skeleton is made of rubber erasers which makes her a great and simultaneously terrifying wrestler. Giula is absolutely the star that AEW needs though, she could be a much better version of Jade because she has IT and she can wrestle too which is something only Asuka has been able to do in America as far as Joshi wrestlers go

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Giulia in AEW would loving suck, please don't put that out into the cosmos

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
TJPW is a lighthearted comedy showcase that every now and again will kick you in the balls because you dared to believe that good things can happen

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I'm not sure how far down the roster in Stardom I'd have to go before I find someone who I'd be ok with going to AEW. Maybe like, Hina or something.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Crapple! posted:

I'm not sure how far down the roster in Stardom I'd have to go before I find someone who I'd be ok with going to AEW. Maybe like, Hina or something.

Even Hina has a good upside. Those sisters are obviously good athletes

Its kind of annoying that during a uniquely terrible time for Japanese wrestling they are only slowly getting out of any discussion on it is framed around how can these talents be raided by US wrestling promotions

This is not a good period for joshi wrestling at all at the box office and it seems like a lot of western fans just want western promotions to increase the box office pressure by signing up everyone who draws.

Because I can tell you right now how stardom would deal with aew raiding them. All that young talent across other promotions would be pursued like suzu Suzuki was. Do you guys want joshi wrestling to be stardom and absolutely nothing else???

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016

Tampa Bae posted:

I think mayu iwatani's skeleton is made of rubber erasers which makes her a great and simultaneously terrifying wrestler. Giula is absolutely the star that AEW needs though, she could be a much better version of Jade because she has IT and she can wrestle too which is something only Asuka has been able to do in America as far as Joshi wrestlers go

From what I've seen of Giulia she's good (and obviously has a great "look"... hate talking about people/wrestlers in that way but it is what it is), but her matches sometimes feel like she is of the philosophy of "stiff = good" and her selling can be pretty so-so. It's funny that she teamed with ZSJ for that crossover show, because her selling annoys me in the same way his used to (basically he just wouldn't do it sometimes). I think Giulia is only 5 or so years deep into wrestling though so I'm sure she'll be legit as gently caress with a few more miles on her

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If anyone in Finland (or within travel distance of Finland) would like to see Max the Impaler live, now's your chance. September 30th.

I think I might have to journey down to Helsinki for this.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I can't think of a reason why you'd want a joshi you're a fan of to go to AEW unless you want them to make more money. Because you're gonna see them a lot less. Emi's barely on tv, Shida disappears from time to time and we need to file a missing person's report on Riho. I actually just checked and Riho still has had more matches in Stardom than she has in AEW.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
There's a lot of people that seem to think Guilia would be a major star in AEW or WWE, like "oh this time it'll be different. She's a can't miss superstar!" and all I can think is I've seen several Guilia-tier joshi meander through NA wrestling careers by now why in the world would Guilia be any different?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

mooseinfants posted:

There's a lot of people that seem to think Guilia would be a major star in AEW or WWE, like "oh this time it'll be different. She's a can't miss superstar!" and all I can think is I've seen several Guilia-tier joshi meander through NA wrestling careers by now why in the world would Guilia be any different?
okay well, you're right. The only exception was Asuka and she is basically the only Japanese wrestler to remain at the top of a US promotion for longer than a minute

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

MIZUKI vs. Maki Itoh was incredible. That last sequence made me a wreck. Amazing stuff. And the NEO Biishiki-gun match was just so so so funny :allears:

Great show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Tampa Bae posted:

okay well, you're right. The only exception was Asuka and she is basically the only Japanese wrestler to remain at the top of a US promotion for longer than a minute

Hikaru Shida was AEW women's champion for an entire year.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

It needs to be the other way around, with AEW sending people to Stardom to work second match on the show Club Venus 8 mans to get better. Look at what 6 months did for Xena and Mariah, get Skye Blue's mediocre rear end over there to learn something. Would really prefer Giulia and everyone else stay where they are instead of working half speed in AEW

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Obviously it was against syuri who is about as good as it gets but xenas last match of the tour was so good it was legitimately shocking to me.

Stardom do a staggering amount of dates. Mariah May has 109 matches in her career that started in 2019. She's worked 63 matches of those 109 matches this year in stardom. That's more matches than Noah and ajpw guys are wrestling.

That's why stardoms roster is so good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

MIZUKI vs. Maki Itoh was incredible. That last sequence made me a wreck.

Mizuki being on the verge of tears knowing she had to put Maki down ruined me

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
TJPW rojo soon!
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1677571686013751296

Also, baby Mima Shimoda.
https://twitter.com/mima_shimoda/status/1678021044089819137

Numero6 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 9, 2023

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
I was watching random late 90s joshi shows recently and stumbled on a Mima Shimoda match, having only known her as the "Chair Lady" from Jay White promos. It was mostly her being crazy as gently caress and throwing another lady head-first through doors. Blood everywhere. It was badass

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

If anyone in Finland (or within travel distance of Finland) would like to see Max the Impaler live, now's your chance. September 30th.

I think I might have to journey down to Helsinki for this.

Oh hell yeah.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

this kid is nuts posted:

I was watching random late 90s joshi shows recently and stumbled on a Mima Shimoda match, having only known her as the "Chair Lady" from Jay White promos. It was mostly her being crazy as gently caress and throwing another lady head-first through doors. Blood everywhere. It was badass

He was great in LCO with Etsuko Mita.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Catching up with some recent Stardom shows and I guess they revealed the final Five Star competitors in a rumble a couple weeks ago. Here's the full field:

Mayu Iwatani
Hazuki
Utami Hayashishita
AZM
Saya Kamitani
Natsuko Tora
Starlight Kid
Momo Watanabe
Giulia
Maika
Tam Nakano
Natsupoi
Saori Anou
Syuri
MIRAI
Ami Sourei
Mina Shirakawa
Suzu Suzuki
Hanan
Mariah May

The last one was a surprise but it will be good for her and she's pretty over. I was expecting Thekla, Koguma, or a suprise of some kind though.

This is the anti-G1 as far as bloat goes. All killer no filler!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah they have the groups already

Red Stars
Ami Sohrei
Natsuko Tora
Hazuki
Natsupoi
SLK
Suzu Suzuki
Syuri
Saya Kamitani
Mayu Iwatani
Tam Nakano

Blue Stars
Utami Hayashishita
Hanan
Mariah May
Giulia
Mina Shirakawa
AZM
MIRAI
Momo Watanabe
Saori Anou
Maika

Idk if they've announced all the cards or just 7/23 but the 7/23 one is about as stacked as you can get

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

An idea for stardom to consider to balance the workload is to run a high speed tournament after the 5 star ends. A lot of the wrestlers who aren't in the 5 star are more associated with the high speed title.

Do it like the bosj. Now obviously it wouldn't have all the big names so the undercard would need to probably have the Tam's and giulias but they could rotate who is working what shows. The workload on the roster is ridiculous.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

abraham linksys posted:

I'd start with All Star Grand Queendom from back in April.

If you want more, you can catch up on the follow-up major shows - Flashing Champions, Sunshine, Midsummer Champions - but Grand Queendom was a huge show. You might want to read up on the stories going into it though.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Is Stardom the closest thing going to like early 90s AJW?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

An idea for stardom to consider to balance the workload is to run a high speed tournament after the 5 star ends. A lot of the wrestlers who aren't in the 5 star are more associated with the high speed title.

Do it like the bosj. Now obviously it wouldn't have all the big names so the undercard would need to probably have the Tam's and giulias but they could rotate who is working what shows. The workload on the roster is ridiculous.

I have (what I think is) a great idea for a high speed tourney where you get 5 points for a win under a minute, 4 for a win under 5 minutes, 3 for a win under 10 minutes, 2 for a win under 15 minutes, and 1 for a 15-minute time limit draw. The math might be a nightmare but it would give a lot of incentive to keep up the fast pace.

And yeah the FS participants could use a break after the tourney. And so could we, the viewers, many of whom will also be following the G1.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

apophenium posted:

The important thing to note is that literally every promotion's drawing power is miniscule compared to 90s AJW and does not have the massive access to the best rookies that AJW had. Plus, nearly every promotion is going to be a post-Ice Ribbon promotion because that's what draws, so you're not going to see AJW replicated 1:1.

There's a few promotions that have a harder style (but in part trace their lineage to Gaea Japan) or have a direct connection with early 90s AJW:

Stardom has the Rossy connection
Chigusa's Marvelous promotion
Sendai Girls
Seadlinning
Mayumi Ozaki's Oz Academy

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

apophenium posted:

Not really (that would probably be one of the vet-run promotions like Marvelous, Seedlinnng, or Oz Academy), but probably the closest thing to it that's easy to keep up with if you don't read Japanese.

e: yeah what fez_machine said

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 10, 2023

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
TJPW's Princess Cup lottery is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMl6Rfze1lE

The first match is going to slap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

yea ok posted:

Yeah they have the groups already

Red Stars
Ami Sohrei
Natsuko Tora
Hazuki
Natsupoi
SLK
Suzu Suzuki
Syuri
Saya Kamitani
Mayu Iwatani
Tam Nakano

Blue Stars
Utami Hayashishita
Hanan
Mariah May
Giulia
Mina Shirakawa
AZM
MIRAI
Momo Watanabe
Saori Anou
Maika

Idk if they've announced all the cards or just 7/23 but the 7/23 one is about as stacked as you can get

Almost all of those matches are awesome on paper but Starlight Kid vs Natsupoi, Syuri vs Suzu and MIRAI vs Momo are the ones I'm looking forward to the most