Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

H110Hawk posted:

Seems to work, thanks. Extremely basic which is fine enough for me. Kind of funny that it doesn't use id3 metadata to sort things but tells you to sort them yourself into folders. It does detect the chapters in this m4b which is nice though. No cover art etc. (vlc shows all that but doesn't handle books well. It does show the chapters.)

I do, does this work remotely assuming I'm not insane and don't expose plex to the internet? Is there an iphone client as well? My wife would benefit from it as well.

is wireguard not sufficient for accessing your server stuff from outside your network?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Uthor posted:

There's an audio book of a comic? Huh.

Yep and it's amazingly well done. Gaiman reads the narration but they have a bunch of A listers doing the voices. I was super skeptical since I'm a mega fan but they knocked it out of the park.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

H110Hawk posted:

I do, does this work remotely assuming I'm not insane and don't expose plex to the internet? Is there an iphone client as well? My wife would benefit from it as well.

There is an iOS app but if you're very security minded, this is probably not for you.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

hark posted:

is wireguard not sufficient for accessing your server stuff from outside your network?

Can I turn in my nerd card and tell you I've never gotten wireguard to work? :ohdear:

Incessant Excess posted:

There is an iOS app but if you're very security minded, this is probably not for you.

Fair enough, if it doesn't have an offline play mode this doesn't help me. Thanks. Basically if it had a functional sync (lol plex + sync + 15 years or whatever and it still doesn't work) I would use it in a heartbeat.

Thanks everyone I'm going to give this smart audiobook player a try today.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

H110Hawk posted:

Can I turn in my nerd card and tell you I've never gotten wireguard to work? :ohdear:

Fair enough, if it doesn't have an offline play mode this doesn't help me. Thanks. Basically if it had a functional sync (lol plex + sync + 15 years or whatever and it still doesn't work) I would use it in a heartbeat.

Thanks everyone I'm going to give this smart audiobook player a try today.

Have you considered wg-easy?
https://github.com/wg-easy/wg-easy

It has a nice gui that should simplify the wireguard setup.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Wireguard or tailscale is perfectly safe imo. Tailscale upped their free plan recently from 1 to 3 users and 100 devices or something like that.

Also, audiobookshelf does have a download to device or 'offline' feature.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

∆∆∆ E: yeah there you go

Tailscale is also a possibility.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah wireguard I would expose to the internet no question. If I didn't suck at computers. I've tried several times. It's my router or something not the server because I also was having trouble getting a basic tcp socket forwarded for like openvpn.

I will give the offline sync a try. So far so good on the smart one despite it not caring about the id3 data no matter how much I push the button. Audio sounds good and it plays through my cars Bluetooth which is all I need.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Tailscale is a dead easy way to VPN a local network of your devices. works on iOS/Android/Linux/Mac/Windows.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
My BBC News app updated yesterday and it's removed the widget capability. Assuming it's a permanent removal, does anyone have a recommendation for another news app that has a decent widget?

Also, what's the best music app that will respond to voice commands?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

dihaploidy posted:

Smart Audiobook Player should fit your needs. I've used it for a range of different audio files and it's handled them all fine so far.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ak.alizandro.smartaudiobookplayer&hl=en&gl=US

This has been totally fine, thanks! 3.5hrs into my book and it's going great. Oddly it doesn't see the title / cover information but VLC (also on my phone, same file) does so I know it's all "there." Just says "Audiobooks" everywhere, which is the folder name. I don't actually care just funny. I've tried toggling the "ID3" button.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Beautiful Widgets finally stopped working for me. End of an era. Had been using it at least a decade now.

Does anyone have a home screen clock widget they recommend? Looking for something similar to BW if at all possible. That is, a widget showing the time, date, and weather, plus functionality where clicking different parts of the widget brings up weather forecast, alarms, etc.

Samsung Galaxy S20+ if it makes a difference.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 9, 2023

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I switched to chronus from BW years ago and have been happy with it

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Geometric weather has widgets where tapping the clock goes to alarms, date goes to calendar, weather goes to weather. Looking it up I guess that's yet another recommendation from me that's an app not available on the play store, just on f-droid. Sorry if you're a normal person and that's not your bag.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Geometric weather has widgets where tapping the clock goes to alarms, date goes to calendar, weather goes to weather. Looking it up I guess that's yet another recommendation from me that's an app not available on the play store, just on f-droid. Sorry if you're a normal person and that's not your bag.

Huh, I have geometric weather installed from the playstore. Do you know why it is no longer on there?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

Huh, I have geometric weather installed from the playstore. Do you know why it is no longer on there?
I have no idea, all the due diligence I did was searching for it on the play store and it not showing up for me. I don't see anything on the github landing page that would explain it either.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have no idea, all the due diligence I did was searching for it on the play store and it not showing up for me. I don't see anything on the github landing page that would explain it either.

Even a quick Google search only turns up people asking why it was removed.

Anyway, it's still available on F-Droid, so at least there's that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Geometric Weather is great. I just wish it had radar. That would make it the perfect weather app.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Nitrousoxide posted:

Geometric Weather is great. I just wish it had radar. That would make it the perfect weather app.

drat I was about to download it, but that's a deal breaker for me.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I use Ventusky for radar purposes.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Flipperwaldt posted:

I use Ventusky for radar purposes.

Oh, thanks. I think this'll replace Windy.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

hark posted:

drat I was about to download it, but that's a deal breaker for me.

I wouldn't let that stop you. It's still really great for weather alert notifications and forecasts.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a good subscription tracking app? I generally have a good handle on all my various subs, but a single place to get an overview would be nice. I don't mind paying but maybe a one time payment rather than a subscription, too much irony otherwise.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a good subscription tracking app? I generally have a good handle on all my various subs, but a single place to get an overview would be nice. I don't mind paying but maybe a one time payment rather than a subscription, too much irony otherwise.

Would a google sheet not be enough for this?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I have an Excel sheet with all that.

That said, I know there's the Trim app which looks for subscriptions.

https://www.asktrim.com/

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

Is there a good (free) alternative to the FitBod app?

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone have a recommendation for a car milage tracking app? I've been using acar forever but it's been getting very crash lately and they are locking more features behind a premium edition. I don't want anything fancy, just average milage and costs over time.

go fly a bike
May 22, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I was using Fuelio for car tracking. I like it better than acar.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

go fly a bike posted:

I was using Fuelio for car tracking. I like it better than acar.

Yep I'll second Fuelio

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use a spreadsheet on my desktop. :corsair:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Thirding Fuel.io, I even took my old tracking app's data and formatted an importable file for it so now I have even more data I don't need! :toot:

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
What are your favorite stock market/finance apps?

Ideally I'm looking for an app where I can quickly look up market info, stock prices, and commodity prices in a clean UI that isn't overloaded with ads.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Any recommendation for a food tracking app that's fairly simplistic? I used to use MyFitnessPal but it's gotten so bloated

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm not on a Samsung phone, but their Health app is "surprisingly good" for that.

In the past I used Livestrong which had by far the best database of food, but I think stuff like Samsung Health has caught up since.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Medullah posted:

Any recommendation for a food tracking app that's fairly simplistic? I used to use MyFitnessPal but it's gotten so bloated

Lose It! is what my sister went to after MyFitnessPal imploded, and I prefer Cronometer. We each have different goals and needs so give each a shot. I need specific nutrients tracked; she just wants macros. Both talk to our watches (Apple for her, Garmin for me), which makes things much easier. I found it easy to add recipes/custom foods to each app. Both have a decent database of food as well.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I used Chronometer to loose about 10 kilos.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Nitrousoxide posted:

I used Chronometer to loose about 10 kilos.

Well done ✊

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

A MINIATURE LLAMA posted:

Is there a good (free) alternative to the FitBod app?

Checked out and have been using BodBot.

Medullah posted:

My best friend, spouse, and I all use MyNetDiary with success.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
Seconding Lose It, it's really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Also, what's the best music app that will respond to voice commands?

I'm paying for Youtube Premium even though I barely use it just because it responds to voice commands in Android Auto well. I keep meaning to try using it more, but VLC just works playing my local music files and I swear it sounds better.