Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Solefald posted:

16bbh is really quite funny tho

Just ignore him if he bothers you that much.
I will personally block any attempts to have him banned from this forum :colbert:

He sucks poo poo and I don't know why he's tolerated, but I was talking about the youtube spam guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Solefald posted:

I will personally block any attempts to have him banned from this forum :colbert:
Another GBS pet success story
:qqsay:

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

He sucks poo poo and I don't know why he's tolerated, but I was talking about the youtube spam guy

Oh wait who is the YouTube spam guy because that deffo sounds annoying.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=20974

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Solefald posted:

pet much?

(e: i'm joshin', i don't actually have a problem with butt head, sometimes i think he's overreacting but sometimes he's right)

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 9, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Solefald posted:

Okay, but *you* have to feed him and brush him and clean up his messes when he poops in the thread. Otherwise he has to go back to the bad place.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that's 100% a bot that has tricked the mods lol

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

that's 100% a bot that has tricked the mods lol

hosed up if true

if not it's also super hosed up

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Solefald posted:

16bbh is really quite funny tho

I dunno, I think mods should be impartial and not let their friends get away with obvious concern trolling and blatant thread making GBS threads.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I dunno, I think mods should be impartial and not let their friends get away with obvious concern trolling and blatant thread making GBS threads.

Its a load-bearing forums tradition.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imo posting the identical routine ":gas: aids gay" crap in every supposedly unfunny thread isn't "quite funny", it's more tedious than what it's ostensibly making fun of.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

haha lmao aids that's amazing, quality trolling hahaha

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

haha lmao aids that's amazing, quality trolling hahaha

Apparently it's only people over a certain age who remember how *utterly* homophobic using AIDS as an insult was.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Apparently it's only people over a certain age who remember how *utterly* homophobic using AIDS as an insult was.

I'm not even over a certain age given by the time I was teenager that dumb fucken South Park episode was well known.

I've made this suggestion before in this thread, but calling something "aids" is really fucken homophobic and not okay, but for some reason no one seems to pay any attention.

I've seen cishet people use the f-slur in more acceptable ways, because I've never seen that dumb as gently caress phrase used without malice. It's gross.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Yeah that works good and well until the SAD dipshits start telling us we have special posting pets and then we're all like "yeah. I guess we didnt need to keep that guy who was super vocal about his snake tits fetish around"

"we"? you are not a mod or admin. genuine advice: when people complain about a forum you post in you can literally not read it / not take it personally

as far as bad words, consider reading in good faith? mb the person has some right to use it, and you should reflect on your own language.

syntaxfunction posted:

I've seen cishet people use the f-slur in more acceptable ways, because I've never seen that dumb as gently caress phrase used without malice. It's gross.

ohhh ok how? how has a cishet person used fag in an acceptable way? you're literally doing the mulaney thing where you can't type fag but you can type aids how is aids worse lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Douche Wolf 89 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 9, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
You can also just not post in forums you hate.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

From my understanding shitposting is allowed in GBS unless stated otherwise for a particular thread eg. Ukraine thread
I haven't really seen 16bbh break any rules and annoying some posters doesn't really warrant a forum ban, or post timer or whatever the heck, I can't state this enough; add him to your ignore list. If you do see him breaking any rules or turning threads hostile or whatever then just continue to report him and Moderators can have a look at specific posts you're concerned about.

Issues with using "aids" is fair enough to discuss and I encourage folk to share their opinion on it. I don't like it but I'm also not a huge fan of word filter moderation (see: cuntgate lol).

edit: also just to clarify. I was joking about blocking any attempts to "punish" 16bbh. I don't know the guy, I just find him mostly funny :shrug:

Solefald fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 9, 2023

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

You can also just not post in forums you hate.

You may not have noticed the problem isn't "the forums you hate", but "the psychos who post there".

The only good thing about the really hardcore rage-posters is they pretty much end up permabanned when they repeatedly are unable to understand that they actually need to follow some simple posting rules. They get their inevitable ramp up to a lifetime achievement perma, and mostly, SA moves on, and average post rage ticks down a tiny notch.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Solefald posted:

Issues with using "aids" is fair enough to discuss and I encourage folk to share their opinion on it. I don't like it but I'm also not a huge fan of word filter moderation (see: cuntgate lol).

It's been a homophobic slur from the 80s. Having been alive and known about it as I was studying microbiology and the outbreak of weird diseases like Kaposi's and Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in young, healthy gay males where it was first called GRID - Gay-Related Immune Disorder. The politics of getting the Reagan administration to fund research into HIV because it was literally "a gay disease"... you can't just handwave away decades of the history of the term. If you're okay with calling something "gay" as a slur then I suppose calling it "totally AIDS" or the like is not a problem.

Before someone says it's no different from calling something "cancer", doing so is just profoundly ignoring the history of linking AIDS with gay men for decades, versus the utter lack of cancer having the same history.

That there's an article on Discrimination against HIV

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_people_with_HIV/AIDS

I don't think cancer comes with anything like this stigma. Although Sontag wrote on cancer link

Edit: I should say anyone young enough to have missed the history of HIV in the 80s and 90s and thinks nothing of casually using the term should educate themselves about it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_the_United_States#Public_perception

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 9, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

ohhh ok how? how has a cishet person used fag in an acceptable way? you're literally doing the mulaney thing where you can't type fag but you can type aids how is aids worse lmao

Well, not like this lol

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Solefald posted:

Good news guys, Solefald just gave the forums an n-word pass!

Rust Martialis posted:

It's been a homophobic slur from the 80s.
:hmmyes:
I was a kid but I still remember all those Very Special Episodes about how a kid has HIV and they're still cool just don't like interact with their blood and you're good you don't need to treat them like lepers. Also Magic coming out as having HIV and how much of a Moment that was.

I don't know why this is such a hill to die on. As a community we're pretty much accepted that some words are harmful. I don't see why we carve out an exception for posting like you're 15.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

40-somethings using the South Park words is extremely sad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FilthyImp posted:

I don't see why we carve out an exception for posting like you're 15.

Because if you took it away, some posters would lose their entire "personality"

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

40-somethings using the South Park words is extremely sad

:hai:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Solefald posted:

Issues with using "aids" is fair enough to discuss and I encourage folk to share their opinion on it.

Describing posts/threads as aids/cancer is incredibly dumb and has never been funny or clever and I can't believe it's still being done.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

itry posted:

Describing posts/threads as aids/cancer is incredibly dumb and has never been funny or clever and I can't believe it's still being done.

Again, some posters stake their identity on being edgy or transgressive ("... and the mods can't stop me!"), and they're frequently the loudest protestors when *their* particular ox is gored.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The mods? A trifle!!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

The mods? A trifle!!

Catspaws and bagatelles, p'shaw.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Rust Martialis posted:

Again, some posters stake their identity on being edgy or transgressive ("... and the mods can't stop me!"), and they're frequently the loudest protestors when *their* particular ox is gored.

They’re also the ones who screech the loudest about gimmick posting when their own posting schtick is the worst gimmick of all.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rust Martialis posted:

Catspaws and bagatelles, p'shaw.

P'shaw? Pfft.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Guys, feel free to calm down now.

Thanks! :tipshat:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schweinhund posted:

Can a post timer be put on 16 bit butthead for posting in GBS? The dude just trolls or posts white noise garbage. He currently has the 10th most posts in the groversub thread and every post is him whining about the thread.

FilthyImp posted:

Unfortunately 16B is a noted SAD Pet Freak and vice-treasurer of the SA HOA. So until they go mad with power we will have to abide by their insanity.

They probably should be hit for yelling dumb slurs like a 14 year old on AIM tho.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

FilthyImp posted:

Another GBS pet success story
:qqsay:

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

lmao

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 9, 2023

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I think mods and admins are unpaid humans and allowed to like people and not want them gone.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

wow that thread IS poo poo. :gas:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I guess I just don't know what else there is to discuss about the sub--I'm not going to threadshit but I stopped paying attention to that whole scene once it was not only clear they were gonzo but also everyone apparently knew and just didn't say anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

free butthead

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Rust Martialis posted:

It's been a homophobic slur from the 80s. Having been alive and known about it as I was studying microbiology and the outbreak of weird diseases like Kaposi's and Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in young, healthy gay males where it was first called GRID - Gay-Related Immune Disorder. The politics of getting the Reagan administration to fund research into HIV because it was literally "a gay disease"... you can't just handwave away decades of the history of the term. If you're okay with calling something "gay" as a slur then I suppose calling it "totally AIDS" or the like is not a problem.

Before someone says it's no different from calling something "cancer", doing so is just profoundly ignoring the history of linking AIDS with gay men for decades, versus the utter lack of cancer having the same history.

That there's an article on Discrimination against HIV

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination_against_people_with_HIV/AIDS

I don't think cancer comes with anything like this stigma. Although Sontag wrote on cancer link

Edit: I should say anyone young enough to have missed the history of HIV in the 80s and 90s and thinks nothing of casually using the term should educate themselves about it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_the_United_States#Public_perception

That was 40 years ago, nobody thinks this way anymore

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

first thread deffo goldmine material but scrolling through the last few pages before butthead got probed and it is pretty grim by this point, just a bunch of circling around on dead billionaire fan fiction and an obsession with titanium pieces or whatever floating around. the doctor's prognosis is in: it's aids.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
"nobody thinks that way anymore!"

:::Immediately proven wrong:::

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I brought the aids thing up in SAD at one point and got dog piled by people falling over themselves to be as lovely as possible. I think there was one good faith reply, if any. I'm glad to see some decent discussion about it here instead of more of that.

It never stopped being used as a pejorative to mock and oppress gay men, as well as sex workers and drug users. I'd love to stop seeing it being used like that in GBS at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

UKJeff posted:

That was 40 years ago, nobody thinks this way anymore

link to UNAIDS Zero Discrimination Day 2023.

link to HRC common myths about HIV where #1 is 'its a gay disease' from January 2023. People still think it.

There's still stigma attached to being HIV+. Try Googling "HIV stigma", you get plenty of hits from 2023.

Tons of links talk about negative perceptions of HIV in different groups in the USA.

If you want UK-specific links, just Google. example

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 9, 2023