Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is that what that tweet was talking about, was the Flash movie? I didnt even know it was out now, and the trailers made it look really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's insanely bad, and just think DC pushed it through despite erza miller being a hosed up sex freak cult leader because they thought it was their golden ticket lol

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's "so-so" reviews so I think they're talking about the Indiana Jones movie. IIRC the Flash movie was so bad they would have lost less money if they hadn't released it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Indiana Jones has made $172,484,331, which seems really low? It released June 30th. I love the first like three Indiana Jones movies, but I tried to watch the Crystal Skull or whatever it was called, and could only ever make it 30 minutes in before stopping. It was just too stupid.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But also pretty much every tentpole release in the last 7 months or so has been losing money, and it's been sparking a conversation about just how sustainable these big budget blockbusters are in a post-pandemic movie watching world.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

It's "so-so" reviews so I think they're talking about the Indiana Jones movie. IIRC the Flash movie was so bad they would have lost less money if they hadn't released it.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's insanely bad, and just think DC pushed it through despite erza miller being a hosed up sex freak cult leader because they thought it was their golden ticket lol

Guess that worked out well!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Indiana Jones has made $172,484,331, which seems really low? It released June 30th. I love the first like three Indiana Jones movies, but I tried to watch the Crystal Skull or whatever it was called, and could only ever make it 30 minutes in before stopping. It was just too stupid.

Shame cause the new one's quite good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waffleman_ posted:

But also pretty much every tentpole release in the last 7 months or so has been losing money, and it's been sparking a conversation about just how sustainable these big budget blockbusters are in a post-pandemic movie watching world.

Didn't Guardians 3, John Wick 4 and Spiderverse all do pretty well? And Mario was a huge success.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Scream VI made a gently caress ton of money off it's 15 mil budget, but horror has always been able to do poo poo like that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Live action Disney remakes always make a trillion dollars

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

stev posted:

Didn't Guardians 3, John Wick 4 and Spiderverse all do pretty well? And Mario was a huge success.

Yeah, that's four out of what, like 12?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Live action Disney remakes always make a trillion dollars

Actually Little Mermaid has not made a profit yet.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

According to Wikipedia it has… $250 mil budget, $500 mil box office

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm really disappointed that release to both theaters and digital at the same time did not catch on. I haven't seen a movie in theaters since Avengers Endgame, and don't really feel like seeing a movie in theaters again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Lol same, he sounded so loving bored and fed up with the role in 4 I don't imagine I'll ever watch 5. Plus 4 was supposed to be setting up a new guy to be the new Indiana Jones.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Lol same, he sounded so loving bored and fed up with the role in 4 I don't imagine I'll ever watch 5. Plus 4 was supposed to be setting up a new guy to be the new Indiana Jones.

Yeah I was really surprised that Harrison Ford decided to do another one. The money offered must have been amazing. I remember interviews with Steven Spielberg, and he didn't even hide that he did not want to do Crystal Skull. The Last Crusade really should have been the final movie. It was a perfect ending to the character.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I said come in! posted:

I'm really disappointed that release to both theaters and digital at the same time did not catch on. I haven't seen a movie in theaters since Avengers Endgame, and don't really feel like seeing a movie in theaters again.

The movie studios were never gonna let that become a thing unfortunately

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Mutt died in Vietnam, probably partially because of Shia LaBeouf's current allegations of abuse by several ex-partners.

And of course they had probably started production before Everything Everywhere came out, or else they 100% woulda gotten some Short Round in the mix.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The movie studios were never gonna let that become a thing unfortunately

Waiting for Dune Part 2 on digital is going to be really painful, but also I have no good movie theaters around me anyways.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Mutt died in Vietnam, probably partially because of Shia LaBeouf's current allegations of abuse by several ex-partners.

And of course they had probably started production before Everything Everywhere came out, or else they 100% woulda gotten some Short Round in the mix.

gently caress dude, now Indy 5 with Short round is something I palm slam onto the Alamo draft house for sure

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

According to Wikipedia it has… $250 mil budget, $500 mil box office

Movie budgets typically only include the cost of making the movie, not marketing and promotion. For tentpole releases, it's not unheard of for a movie to have to make double its budget to break even with the costs of advertising. So yeah, it's probably just about to become profitable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If they get around to an Indy 6, there's no way they don't try to get Ke in there.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
This is probably a half truth but during the initial deal for the first Indy movie Lucas and Spielberg agreed to a five picture deal

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
At least they were able to get out of being involved with the newest one

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol did they really kill Indy's son off screen?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol did they really kill Indy's son off screen?

Mutt died in Vietnam

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

Waiting for Dune Part 2 on digital is going to be really painful, but also I have no good movie theaters around me anyways.

See something like that I'm always going to make the effort to see in the cinema. It feels like half the appeal of that sort of film is seeing it on the biggest, loudest screen possible.

Sure most people have bigger, fancier TVs now but it's never going to match going to an actual cinema.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like going to the cinema because it forces me to watch the movie and not pause every three minutes to check out the latest SA leper colony entries

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Barry Bluejeans posted:

Mutt died in Vietnam

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jay Rust posted:

I like going to the cinema because it forces me to watch the movie and not pause every three minutes to check out the latest SA leper colony entries

just check them on your phone

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Me yelling at the projectionist to stop the movie because I gotta see what this 10ker probe is about

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hwurmp posted:

suicide encouragement is bannable

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

how is sandrock in terms of completion? isn't it near full release now?
where the EA stops right now already feels like you've reached the epilogue. it basically goes up to and includes the final boss reveal and fight

the last bit of story, though they claim will be 20-30hrs, is probably going to not actually be THAT much longer, and involves seeding and greening more of the desert, as well as unlocking the last bit of map which I'm sure will have a new dungeon and probably a new mine. and then of course adding more side/characters quests

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Did Indy really name his son Mutt?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Did Indy really name his son Mutt?

His real name is Henry, just like Indy.

But also Indy did not know Mutt was his son until he met him in Crystal Skull

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Who wants to watch 70 year old Indiana Jones.

Shoulda just gone Fury Road route and recast

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Disney got scared by Solo and vowed to never recast a character again

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why anyone would prefer staying in to going to the theatre is beyond me. It's not the same thing, you're not going to get an experience anywhere near the same unless you're a millionaire with a private theatre.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Waffleman_ posted:

Disney got scared by Solo and vowed to never recast a character again

Companies never learn the right lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

where the EA stops right now already feels like you've reached the epilogue. it basically goes up to and includes the final boss reveal and fight

the last bit of story, though they claim will be 20-30hrs, is probably going to not actually be THAT much longer, and involves seeding and greening more of the desert, as well as unlocking the last bit of map which I'm sure will have a new dungeon and probably a new mine. and then of course adding more side/characters quests

Part of me is hoping this ends with you restoring Sandrock, but also war with Duvos flares up and their next game is My Time At War. I think the Stardew guy talked about that once, making a game about the war or whatever Kent was in.