Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if there are still people around to be historians 1000 years in the future they're going to be writing stuff like "well, while [47th president of the united states] was undoubtedly a flawed and complicated individual, we have to remember that they came to power amidst a bloody and tumultuous period of decline for the former North American world empire and they had many influential enemies in the media, so descriptions of their behavior drawn from contemporary sources have to be taken with a healthy degree of skepticism.

surely nobody could possibly have been as cretinously loving stupid, just comprehensively dumber than pig poo poo, as they were repeatedly described"

you can argue that there are petabytes upon petabytes of primary sources in 4k video of every major historical event that has occurred in the recent past, but we've also been doing this long enough to know that digital data is really quite amazingly perishable. do you really think that the internet archive will still be around in 100 years, much less 1000? because if so then you are far more optimistic than i. "commercial internet services are a museum of data in the same way that a grocery store is a museum of food" and all that.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
commercial hosting services are grocery store museums, but large organizations like major mainstream media can have their own archival departments and own the storage devices, they can probably preserve 4K video for as long as they’re still in business. like I’m sure the New York Times keeps and can still read stuff they acquired in the 19th century

a ton of casual/amateur content will be lost but the stuff we’re pretty sure will be historically important today will probably last a while

haveblue fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 8, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

if there are still people around to be historians 1000 years in the future they're going to be writing stuff like "well, while [47th president of the united states] was undoubtedly a flawed and complicated individual, we have to remember that they came to power amidst a bloody and tumultuous period of decline for the former North American world empire and they had many influential enemies in the media, so descriptions of their behavior drawn from contemporary sources have to be taken with a healthy degree of skepticism.

surely nobody could possibly have been as cretinously loving stupid, just comprehensively dumber than pig poo poo, as they were repeatedly described"

you can argue that there are petabytes upon petabytes of primary sources in 4k video of every major historical event that has occurred in the recent past, but we've also been doing this long enough to know that digital data is really quite amazingly perishable. do you really think that the internet archive will still be around in 100 years, much less 1000? because if so then you are far more optimistic than i. "commercial internet services are a museum of data in the same way that a grocery store is a museum of food" and all that.

given the well known deepfake of the 45th president staring directly into the sun without protective eyewear, it is hard to take any supposed evidence as truth

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

ultrafilter posted:

Google Translate doesn't work with Latin. Like yes, they offer it as an option, but the output is so bad that it's really only good for getting an idea of what the text doesn't say.

yeah, it’s not even useful for translating individual words, i use it for lols exclusively

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol weed advertising is starting to go hard

https://twitter.com/shredweed/status/1663615797267234817?s=46&t=8g1SJ87BoVmp86tfUCXz2A

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

idk about elsewhere in canada but it’s weird as hell in alberta to see weed stores with less restrictions than liquor stores. they dropped the restriction that the windows need to be blocked so it’s almost just like window shopping for weed now. everyone advertising lowest prices and “clearance sales”, it’s absolutely wild

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

im in ontario and frankly i think weed stores shouldn’t be subject to any harsher rules than the lcbos. having to have secondary entrances is kinda dumb imo lol

though now we’re getting shrooms dispensaries just out and out advertising illegally on main streets so things are getting wild here too

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
thwomas
thomp

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

haveblue posted:

thwomas
thomp

Thanks, Thomas. Thwompass.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

MrQueasy posted:

Thwompass.
that thummer feeling

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

MrQueasy posted:

Thanks, Thomas. Thwompass.

Thwompas the thank engine

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Double post

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/letsgotothemaul/status/1677670725761605632

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

my dad has been getting into model trains lately I should see if he hid any around lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

puts new meaning to HO scale

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
The position on the packet with the blue couch is really something else

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
What is it?

To me, it looks like a dude taking a poo poo on his couch with his dog coming over to check it out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

polyester concept posted:

puts new meaning to HO scale

puts new meaning to getting railed

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/weeabob/status/1677591396033912833?t=7tuktWgv4hY_9E17CRC_1w&s=19

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

koolkal posted:

What is it?

To me, it looks like a dude taking a poo poo on his couch with his dog coming over to check it out

teabagging

well, maybe tea stirring

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

why would anyone willingly subject themselves to mister bread's face

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

my dad has been getting into model trains lately I should see if he hid any around lol

better move is to buy some and hide them and see how long it takes him to notice

betty boof
Jun 2, 2023

presented by SPUDNUTS

Beeftweeter posted:

why would anyone willingly subject themselves to mister bread's face
He is seriously so creepy looking

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Achmed Jones posted:

better move is to buy some and hide them and see how long it takes him to notice

hes gonna find one every place he goes to hide one

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

https://twitter.com/TheWapplehouse/status/1678051188367937537

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1678199881486200833

:hmmyes:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1677814331298414592

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol he's a total boss and has 16 steals in 30 games

go redlegs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/MrKevinHinkle/status/1678116319269642240?s=20

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

well-read undead posted:

also fun: out of curiosity i wanted to see what google translate would make of it and it translates the opening line as “I will follow you and I will visit you” lmao

:eyepop:

i feel like that understates the shocked laugh that mistranslation gave me

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

king poo poo

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ultrafilter posted:

Google Translate doesn't work with Latin. Like yes, they offer it as an option, but the output is so bad that it's really only good for getting an idea of what the text doesn't say.

Google Translate doesn't even work with english

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Today's Mood - whatever this mustachioed creature is

https://twitter.com/WeirdMedieval/status/1678412990679248897?s=20

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

some of those would be very good tattoos

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm the nude christmas arsonist

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hes admiral crunch now :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

polyester concept posted:

some of those would be very good tattoos