Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Babylon Astronaut posted:

If you give ratling guns poison, the speed debuff stacks, so do that a bunch.

Is that an Ikit's Workshop ability or a warlord trait I've probably not taken due to misunderstanding it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah, like enchant them with the plague buff spell.

However, the issue with this is that buff spells that give effects to attacks override whatever is on there first. Giving the poison buff spell to Ratling Guns will override their inherent suppression. To make it stack, don't buff all your gunners, or the simpler solution of using a unit with inherent poison (higher-tier Gutter Runners, for example) alongside Ratling Gunners to make their slows stack.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Admittedly not a Skaven expert but I do think some of their SEM units like hell pit abominations etc have poison attacks too. SEMs do a good job bogging down attackers while not blocking your own LoS on archers

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yeah, use the spell from the lore of plague. Maybe put it on your jezzails or something so the enemy has to move at a slow crawl to get to your gun line. It works really well and if you don't have a plague priest, idk what you're doing with your life lol.

Bonus strat: iska's triads' decoy ability can lead the enemy into a devastating ambush from your gunners with no risk of friendly fire.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Jezzails make great targets for Bless with Filth because their long range makes the increased fatigue effect actually have time to work, too.

And yeah you want plague priests. Summoning units is just too good, especially if you have a nuke available.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Skaven is super easy, once you have 3 plague claw catapults on turn 5, you have effectively won and everything else is just icing on the cake.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Cardiac posted:

Skaven is super easy, once you have 3 plague claw catapults on turn 5, you have effectively won and everything else is just icing on the cake.

depends on the start. Clan Pestlins has a tougher one and an early right of primeval glory army can ruin them or at least slow them down.There are also some battles a typical skaven ranged stack is countered by even with tons of rat summons.

Gort posted:

I've been playing Cathay recently and the caravan battles are kinda cool 'cause I have to fight with what I'm given against some ogre force.

It has, however, shown me that ogre leadbelchers are loving ridiculous. I'm gonna make an army that's half them and half gnoblar trappers and destroy the world

you can buy them off. Get peace + trade with them early on through gifts.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm not at war with any ogres, I just get events where it's like, "Give up a bunch of money or let them eat some of your people or have an easy fight" or just "Horrible ambush where half your army dies". I haven't lost a caravan yet, I just noticed leadbelchers get 400 kills when other ogre units get like 12.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Cranappleberry posted:

depends on the start. Clan Pestlins has a tougher one and an early right of primeval glory army can ruin them or at least slow them down.There are also some battles a typical skaven ranged stack is countered by even with tons of rat summons.

An early primeval glory is a rare thing happening early.
And three plague claws worked well for a pestilence start in my experience (as well as being more thematic). They are far more reliable than any other skaven war crime unit. Basically deletes one unit per salvo.
Plague claws, couple of slave slingers and clan rats have gotten me through more skaven starts than I care to remember.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Are there epilogues for the chaos dwarf characters?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Arbite posted:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I think after this Eshin game I don't want to play another faction on this continent again. Jesus Christ there's a lot of Cathay to eat

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I think the worst region is the mountains where the ogres live. It reminds me of wh1 fighting the dwarfs where you can't really settle their towns, but if you don't wipe them out they will annoy you constantly.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah I hate that area. You cant do jack with their settlements

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve reached a point in my Astragoth RoC campaign where I can force confederate another faction through the conclave. I haven’t been as aggressive as I could have been, so I had three provinces built tall, and adding one of these guys would be a huge logistical thing.

All three options are tempting in their own way. Drazoath has the most territory, Zhatan has Castle Drakenhof which is where an artifact is located, and Zhar-Naggrund has its fancy landmarks and less territory meaning a less complicated transition.

I guess the biggest thing to overcome is reorganizing the distribution of “labor.” My current cities are sitting right at capacity, and it looks like the other factions’ special resources don’t carry over. How you you guys go about it?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Get the resurrect as vassal/diplomacy mods, turn one of the ogre kingdoms into your vassal and let them hold the ogre mountains. You get a buffer state and easy access to ogre allied units, which are fantastic.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I've played this game a lot but I just cannot get good w/ Skaven. This has been discussed multiple times but can someone please explain a good strat for Ikit? I've bounced off him and Throt multiple times. I've pretty much played every faction and most lords at this point but they continue to elude me. I'm fine w/ other gunlines more or less but something about their glass cannon status just throws me off.

Doom flayers, or whatever the motorcycles are called, are not good units, but you can get nearby units to chase them forever while your guns shred them to pieces.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Dr Christmas posted:

I’ve reached a point in my Astragoth RoC campaign where I can force confederate another faction through the conclave. I haven’t been as aggressive as I could have been, so I had three provinces built tall, and adding one of these guys would be a huge logistical thing.

All three options are tempting in their own way. Drazoath has the most territory, Zhatan has Castle Drakenhof which is where an artifact is located, and Zhar-Naggrund has its fancy landmarks and less territory meaning a less complicated transition.

I guess the biggest thing to overcome is reorganizing the distribution of “labor.” My current cities are sitting right at capacity, and it looks like the other factions’ special resources don’t carry over. How you you guys go about it?

This is kind of degenerate, but Servants of the Conclave are the last one you should bother confederating - and consider not confederating them at all, because they're completely passive and will never break treaties or declare on you... which means for the price of an overseer with a stack of 19 goblin laborers, you can get ~430 free labor every turn forever by just raiding Zharr-Naggrund, and another 60-70 labor each for the minor regions.

Honestly, the most appealing benefit to confederating the other chorf factions is that you get their Tower seats and they stop stealing them back. But you absolutely don't obtain any of the AI labour, materials, or armaments, and the AI is not good at sensibly setting up their provinces, meaning that if you've been building tall and don't have a big labor surplus it will annoy you because you will almost certainly have to dump a ton of labor you don't have to get their settlements functioning and organized in an efficient way. The other annoyance is that you'll obtain the AI armies but won't get any expanded unit caps.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah I hate that area. You cant do jack with their settlements
Orcs can use them just fine. Each settlement rapidly grows and each settlement can supply the global +sacking/raiding building, the income building, and +1 to a hero cap of your choice, and that's really all you need at that point.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Doom flayers, or whatever the motorcycles are called, are not good units, but you can get nearby units to chase them forever while your guns shred them to pieces.

They're ok if you use them like kroxigors, tie up an infantry unit with slaves or clan rats and then charge the doom flayers in to actually kill them.

They help to reinforce your frontline before you get access to the stuff that makes a frontline unnecessary.

I think I would take a unit of giant rats over them, though.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 8, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Carcer posted:

They're ok if you use them like kroxigors, tie up an infantry unit with slaves or clan rats and then charge the doom flayers in to actually kill them.

They help to reinforce your frontline before you get access to the stuff that makes a frontline unnecessary.

I think I would take a unit of giant rats over them, though.

There's a lot of overlap with the Skaven roster. Doom Flayers are real good with Ikit in particular but yeah with any other LL you might be better off with Rat Ogres, and definitely so for Thrott.

Did they ever make it so Doom Wheels don't just implode during auto-resolve calculations?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Arbite posted:

The hats get taller. Don't ask how. It's magic. Chorf hats must always be taller.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Think I'm done with this Eshin campaign, I've got all of Cathay and the mountains and I don't feel like chasing down a bunch of lore-appropriate-but-widely-scattered mountain settlements for long vic. Overall pretty fun?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gonkish posted:

The hats get taller. Don't ask how. It's magic. Chorf hats must always be taller.

Can we get a mod where Chorf characters' hats get taller the higher their level?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Chorfs should have a pike unit where they wear a very tall hat with a spike at the end. They then tilt their head down when bracing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Leal posted:

Chorfs should have a pike unit where they wear a very tall hat with a spike at the end. They then tilt their head down when bracing.

Instantly killing the attackers, but suffering ~95% damage as all their necks break.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Can we get a mod where Chorf characters' hats get taller the higher their level?

I mean probably, there is that whole "Kholek gets bigger as he gathers more vassals" thing...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Think I'm done with this Eshin campaign, I've got all of Cathay and the mountains and I don't feel like chasing down a bunch of lore-appropriate-but-widely-scattered mountain settlements for long vic. Overall pretty fun?

glad you came around on it. I tend to like gimmick runs that force you to do something different

I do agree long victory conditions are a little all over the place

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

glad you came around on it. I tend to like gimmick runs that force you to do something different

I do agree long victory conditions are a little all over the place
It's one of those weird ones where I got the short vic and felt like, okay sweet, getting a handle on this faction, surely I'm supposed to finish up uniting Cathay---oh wait no you want me to migrate across the world now, sure whatever

I DID nuke the #1 military power with the revolt-collapse shady dealing and also stole Nagashizzar with the steal-a-Skaven-settlement dealing, which was also a fun, stupid experience.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
It's because long victory conditions are the same for the whole race, not per faction, so you'll get a lot that don't make sense for particular factions. The victory conditions overhaul mod is a must have imo, he's slowly adding bespoke objectives with tailored rewards to every faction.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
A dream of mine is they put the narrative campaigns in the big map with the cut scenes and everything. The eshin campaign was better on the vortex map.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Babylon Astronaut posted:

A dream of mine is they put the narrative campaigns in the big map with the cut scenes and everything. The eshin campaign was better on the vortex map.

I think they mentioned wanting to do this in an interview, but implied they might never actually get around to working on it. Kind of silly how they treat IE as a sandbox only style of thing, when it's just the default map for most people. You can always ignore the campaign objectives and do your own thing anyway, it would be a big shame to never port over all the hard work they did on the faction campaigns.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

It's because long victory conditions are the same for the whole race, not per faction, so you'll get a lot that don't make sense for particular factions. The victory conditions overhaul mod is a must have imo, he's slowly adding bespoke objectives with tailored rewards to every faction.

This made my Khatep IE run the longest campaign I ever played (outside the awful grind that was WH2 norsca). It actually made the endgame kind of crazy, as once I fended off the northern Chaos hellwar I ended up landing on the Badlands and had to wipe out both Khalida and Settra with full power stacks with the great Waagh simultaneously barreling down from the other side.

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!
Finished my first campaign in TWW1 with the Dwarfs last night. (Was a little disappointed that there wasn't an ending cutscene, or even a race specific ending text blurb, but whatever.) Next I plan on trying the Vortex campaign with the Lizardmen in 2. After that, I'm not sure.

Is there any reason to bother playing Mortal Empires at this point, or has Immortal Empires in 3 made it absolutely obsolete?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Botman posted:

Finished my first campaign in TWW1 with the Dwarfs last night. (Was a little disappointed that there wasn't an ending cutscene, or even a race specific ending text blurb, but whatever.) Next I plan on trying the Vortex campaign with the Lizardmen in 2. After that, I'm not sure.

Is there any reason to bother playing Mortal Empires at this point, or has Immortal Empires in 3 made it absolutely obsolete?

Immortal Empires has nearly utterly obsoleted Mortal Empires. At least the Vortex and RoC maps have unique objectives for some races/factions and different maps to play on.

If you really, really need to play a chaos invasion scenario then the WH1 or ME maps are there I suppose.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Botman posted:

Was a little disappointed that there wasn't an ending cutscene, or even a race specific ending text blurb, but whatever.
Its been a while, but if there is one it will pop the turn after you win. There were cool plot hooks for wh3 in the wh2 victory texts.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Is there a mod out there that fixes miscast chance modifiers? I figured the community bug fix mod would do it, but Kairos still has 50% even with his special -40% miscast chance skill (which was a complete waste now).

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I played through the Norsca campaign and I'm guessing it might be bugged? When I got to my allegiance up to the highest level I got a cut scene and a powerful Chaos army appeared near one of my undefended settlements, so I raised my new super Lord of Change and readied for a difficult fight... and then the enemy just wandered off? A few turns later I was able to take part in 'the final battle', killed the enemy and won. That can't be right...

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Insurrectionist posted:

Is there a mod out there that fixes miscast chance modifiers? I figured the community bug fix mod would do it, but Kairos still has 50% even with his special -40% miscast chance skill (which was a complete waste now).

I believe that is specifically a native game bug that can’t be fixed by mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

I played through the Norsca campaign and I'm guessing it might be bugged? When I got to my allegiance up to the highest level I got a cut scene and a powerful Chaos army appeared near one of my undefended settlements, so I raised my new super Lord of Change and readied for a difficult fight... and then the enemy just wandered off? A few turns later I was able to take part in 'the final battle', killed the enemy and won. That can't be right...

Did you side with WoC or oppose them?

Edit: If you challenge the WoC your job will be to exterminate them, which they might do by themselves just fighting other armies.