Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Right, like, do truckers need to have a different state license because of Florida? That seems...unlikely.

IIRC CDL's are valid in all states due to federal law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The law says that those states’ licenses aren’t valid if they’re held by a person residing in the United States illegally.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I saw an article that DeSantis is going to be especially pouty if he gets shamed and embarrassed out of the race.

I wish Florida wouldn't have allowed him to eliminate resign to run.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

silvergoose posted:

Right, like, do truckers need to have a different state license because of Florida? That seems...unlikely.
The tweet is lacking some detail. According to this article from NBC-Miami, there are five states' who have license classifcations that are impacted by the law. Those classifications are:

quote:

Connecticut licenses that indicate "Not For Federal Identification"

Delaware licenses that indicate "Driving Privilege Only" or "Not Valid for Identification"

Hawaii licenses that indicate "Limited Purpose Driver’s License" or "Limited Purpose Instruction Permit" or "Limited Purpose Provisional Driver’s License" or "Not Valid for use for official Federal purposes"

Rhode Island licenses that indicate "Not for Federal Identification" or "Driver Privilege Card" or "Driver Privilege Permit"

Vermont licenses that indicate "Not for REAL ID Purposes Driver’s Privilege Card" or "Not for REAL ID Purposes Junior Driver’s Privilege Card" or "Not for REAL ID Purposes Learner’s Privilege Card"
I don't know how common those license classifications are in those states. Some sound like they'd screw over kids with learner's permits; others sound like the kind of thing you'd get when you had no other legal option (like, say, you're on house arrest but have approval to drive to work). It all sounds intended to gently caress with immigrants. But it's not like the law refuses to recognize entire states' licensure. If you have a "regular" driver's license from Vermont or whatever, Florida will still recognize it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They messed up on the CT one. Someone pointed out they should be the DO class licenses.

The long and short of it is the law needs a plaintiff to be challenged, and I doubt someone who has one of those types of licenses spends any time in FL.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Mr. Nice! posted:

They messed up on the CT one. Someone pointed out they should be the DO class licenses.

The long and short of it is the law needs a plaintiff to be challenged, and I doubt someone who has one of those types of licenses spends any time in FL.

SCOTUS just enshrined hypothetical plaintiffs therefore we’d not need one, just a group willing to fund it correct?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There are a whole lot of people who still haven't bothered to get a REAL ID. That will change when they finally get off their asses and enforce it for airplanes. Or even better repeal the motherfucker.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If it's that important why don't they just issue them with license renewals? Why would it be something I have to "bother" to get

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

If it's that important why don't they just issue them with license renewals? Why would it be something I have to "bother" to get

You have to haul in proof of citizenship, most people don't drag a birth certificate or passport in for a DL renewal.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

You have to haul in proof of citizenship, most people don't drag a birth certificate or passport in for a DL renewal.

The weird thing is that I’d you’re a US citizen the requirements for a real ID and an enhanced drivers license are the same. Except only a couple states have bothered to implement EDL - I think it’s only NY, MI, MN, and WA.

Still, if you get an EDL from one of those states you can finally go back to popping into Canada with only your DL! You can now gently caress up exits on Detroit freeways without fear of arrest!

I’m not sure what the pattern here is though, MN’s “default” ID still isn’t a real id - you have the option of a regular DL, a Real ID one or an EDL.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Midjack posted:

There are a whole lot of people who still haven't bothered to get a REAL ID. That will change when they finally get off their asses and enforce it for airplanes. Or even better repeal the motherfucker.

Yeah, I haven't gotten a REAL ID driver's license because a military CAC serves as a valid federal ID when flying and the documentation requirements for the driver's license are a pain in the rear end.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You can also use a passport if you have one.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I have a CT "Not For Federal Identification" licence.

They really didn't do their research when they wrote it and it won't hold up in court.

Anyone want me to come down to FL and have a friendly cop ticket me so we can have Me Nice represent me in the Supreme Court?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, I haven't gotten a REAL ID driver's license because a military CAC serves as a valid federal ID when flying and the documentation requirements for the driver's license are a pain in the rear end.

:same:

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Reuters posted:

Florida will no longer accept driver's licenses issued by some other U.S. states to immigrants living in the country illegally

It's still stupid, but at least read the story first.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Last time I needed a license renewal it was a little wait but not too bad then the worker was super nice/competent & hilarious, threw me for a loop.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

It's still stupid, but at least read the story first.

But that doesn’t follow what they did. Take a look at Florida’s FAQ on this: https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/visiting-florida-faqs/

quote:

OUT-OF-STATE DRIVER LICENSE CLASSES THAT ARE INVALID IN FLORIDA

Note: Pursuant to section 322.033, Florida Statutes, this list has been prepared and provided “to facilitate the enforcement of [section 322.033, Florida Statutes] and to aid in providing notice to the public and visitors of invalid licenses.” The information in this list necessarily and unavoidably is evolving, may change due to the revision of driver license issuance requirements in other states, and will be updated periodically. The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles does not warrant the accuracy of the information contained herein.

So let’s look at their table. I just grabbed Vermont, it indicates that the invalid licenses are those that say “Not for REAL ID Purposes Driver’s Privilege Card”

On Vermont’s webpage here: https://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/files/documents/VL-011-License_Comparisons.pdf
That appears on all non EDL/Real ID licenses so publishing that this license would be invalid impacts US citizens.

For other other states they at least link to sites that talk about being for people that are “unable to establish legal presence” or the like. But they call out the phrasing “Not for Federal Identification” as being the class of license that is not valid in Florida. Notably this is every non Real ID state license issued after Real ID is implemented in the state. Note for example the Connecticut link here: https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DMV/Real-ID-Brochure-English.pdf

Even if the state legislature intended the law to only apply to those licenses in “other U.S. states to immigrants living in the country illegally” based on this list from FLHSMV they’re issuing guidance that all non real IDs are not valid in Florida. That’s a big problem.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
When your mission is simply to break poo poo, you don't have to care about the details.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Midjack posted:

gently caress man no wonder people don't bother

Just look it up and give me one. I know they've got the records

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Platystemon posted:

You can also use a passport if you have one.

This. Getting a passport card next time I renew my passport (which will be sometime later this year) so I don't need to deal with the lovely DMV

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Midjack posted:

Why bother getting a REAL ID? The enforcement date for air travel keeps getting pushed out, gently caress it.

I'm 34 and I still have my high school photo on my license thanks to online renewal and covid lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arrath posted:

Why bother getting a REAL ID? The enforcement date for air travel keeps getting pushed out, gently caress it.

I'm 34 and I still have my high school photo on my license thanks to online renewal and covid lol

lmao literally twice as old as the photo

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Arrath posted:

i dont know for certain whether this was why it was accepted as proof of identity despite official publications stating otherwise, but it was very useful when i got my passport stolen and needed a replacement abroad

officially the rules say you either need the old passport (if it got damaged) or a certified birth certificate to prove US citizenship

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Suicide Watch posted:

This. Getting a passport card next time I renew my passport (which will be sometime later this year) so I don't need to deal with the lovely DMV

It's super handy to just pop that sucker out of your wallet if you ever need to fill out an I-9 to start a new job

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Platystemon posted:

lmao literally twice as old as the photo

It's a fuckin bad photo, too

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

Even if the state legislature intended the law to only apply to those licenses in “other U.S. states to immigrants living in the country illegally” based on this list from FLHSMV they’re issuing guidance that all non real IDs are not valid in Florida. That’s a big problem.

No, that's the door to getting this poo poo into court.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 9, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

No, that's the door to getting this poo poo into court.

It’ll probably cause issues in the meantime for all sorts of industries.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i dont know for certain whether this was why it was accepted as proof of identity despite official publications stating otherwise, but it was very useful when i got my passport stolen and needed a replacement abroad

officially the rules say you either need the old passport (if it got damaged) or a certified birth certificate to prove US citizenship

Emergency passports are different. They have to have procedures to let US citizens back in eventually even if you have absolutely nothing.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ya I saw a guy on tiktok who lost everything while traveling and basically showed up at the airport and went "I have no ID sorry" and they pulled him into a room, asked him a ton of questions and let him on. He even still made his plane. There's a process for that they just don't advertise it for obvious reasons.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

Ya I saw a guy on tiktok who lost everything while traveling and basically showed up at the airport and went "I have no ID sorry" and they pulled him into a room, asked him a ton of questions and let him on. He even still made his plane. There's a process for that they just don't advertise it for obvious reasons.

Same but it was a group of college girls whose hostel burned down with all their documents while they were out boating in Mexico

Imagine going through all that and you're not even wearing clothes

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A family friend had an elderly relative’s purse stolen in Paris with her passport, she was originally from Laos & isn’t 100% fluent in English but they got it sorted out at the US consulate. Guessing that probably happens a few dozen times a day in Paris & Rome.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1677816238557331457?t=V9ESzWTK5orAs2TW9Xp-Bg&s=19

Uh.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The Marines don't have a Commandant for one day and already falling apart

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
One thing about that story that strikes me as very very peculiar:

quote:

The girl, who has not been identified because of her age, was reported missing by her grandmother on June 13, according to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department. Sheriff's officials said the grandmother told them the girl, who had run away before but always returned home quickly, went missing on June 9.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zamujasa posted:

One thing about that story that strikes me as very very peculiar:

why is that peculiar? dumb kids with hosed up home lives do that, and their caretakers just get used to it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I guess I just feel like someone's kid running away from them multiple times is, I dunno, cause for additional concern with what might be going on at home, too?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You have way too much faith in CPS. They’re under-resourced as gently caress and they get a lot of political flack whenever they make a wrong call, so they don’t look too hard at poo poo if it’s not egregious.

Yes this results in a lot of class and race based discrimination.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Zamujasa posted:

I guess I just feel like someone's kid running away from them multiple times is, I dunno, cause for additional concern with what might be going on at home, too?

yes, it's an indicator of additional abuse or discomfort at home, but not really the point of the story. children do things like this for a lot of reasons and CPS cannot be everywhere at once, especially with how underfunded they are. unless she specifically says something to the cops about why she's running away, it's just going to be A Detail.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zamujasa posted:

Note that the child was being cared for by the grandmother. It's not uncommon for a pattern of behavior to continue long after the child is removed from the home situation that caused the behavior to develop.

If the kid's got problems that cause them to run off and behave in dangerous ways, I'd not be at all surprised to hear that CPS had already been involved and placed them with the grandmother as a safer, healthier environment.

That's pure speculation in this case, but I've seen the pattern a few times before.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

also it's really loving important to note that she was found ALIVE, since a lot of places seem to be glazing over that detail for clicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
that pedo Larry nassar got cut up in the pen

Shame he didn’t die