Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

TheScott2K posted:

Why does slipcover damage matter? My trash can isn't picky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Why does slipcover damage matter? My trash can isn't picky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VczTBdnPrU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don’t care a lot about slipcovers. But it does kind of annoy me that that all the rest of my Vestron Blu-rays have them except Class of 1999.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't see the point of keeping slipcovers that have the same art as the actual cover.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Casimir Radon posted:

I don’t care a lot about slipcovers. But it does kind of annoy me that that all the rest of my Vestron Blu-rays have them except Class of 1999.

You can get a copy of that disc with the slipcover for 29.99 on ebay right now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shitcovers

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
im sorry but i also toss slip covers

i know i could sell them but just being v v v honest, i don't have the time to photograph, list, pack and ship things for $3 a pop.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I will literally pay the shipping for your slipcovers.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I don't see the point of keeping slipcovers that have the same art as the actual cover.

When the plastic cases are up against each other on the shelf it makes the plastic all warped over time. The slip cover prevents that, at least to some degree.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Target has 20% off on movies this week. Not sure what deals there are to be had, but figured I’d give an FYI.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
HMV in the UK currently have Arrow Video releases on sale again, so yesterday I got tempted by the 4K special edition of the Sisters Brothers - wasn't keen enough to pay full price but I'll have it at a discount. Amazingly I managed to avoid buying any more releases, after buying this lot the last time they were on sale.

I've only watched Thief so far but the video quality was great for a 1080p Blu-ray.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

be sure to go with the Cannes edit of Southland Tales

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Arrow having incredible releases of Bound, Network, and Bride of Re-Animator but them being UK-only pains me so much. Great finds!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Gripweed posted:

Not caring is the move

I have a mix of case sizes anyway so that "all matching" dream is a fool's errand in my case. I just group stuff together by size so it's all supported nicely on a shelf, same as books, and call that a day. Trying to even keep any alphabet order is fully out too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I like it when there's a reversable insert and a slipcover. On all my Arrow and Kino discs, I flip the sheet so that there's different art when the slipcover comes off.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

I like it when there's a reversable insert and a slipcover. On all my Arrow and Kino discs, I flip the sheet so that there's different art when the slipcover comes off.

Shout Factory has also done this with a lot of their releases and yea it's always very appreciated.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Slipcovers should be screen printed cloth, or perhaps knitted. A little sweater for the movie. The Northern Exposure DVDs were on to something.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

My local B&N had Tati, Demy, and Varda box sets just all over the place and now that the sale is on they've all vanished :negative:

I did go ahead and pull the trigger on the Color Trilogy 4K set though

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Carpet posted:

HMV in the UK currently have Arrow Video releases on sale again, so yesterday I got tempted by the 4K special edition of the Sisters Brothers - wasn't keen enough to pay full price but I'll have it at a discount. Amazingly I managed to avoid buying any more releases, after buying this lot the last time they were on sale.

I've only watched Thief so far but the video quality was great for a 1080p Blu-ray.

drat I didnt know there was a Bound release from Arrow... guess I'm grabbing that in the near future.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have there been any indications of The Exorcist 4k being delayed? I'm just starting to get a bit worried because there's no cover art yet, a lot of times that means something has been delayed.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Want to highly recommend that you all pick up Indicator's Mexico Macabre set that came out a few weeks ago. Been working my way through the set and these look absolutely amazing, light years ahead of the old VHS tapes and the DVDs. The Witch's Mirror in particular is absolutely gorgeous. These movies are also so much fun. Hoping for a second set to be announced soon.

Up next on my watch list will be the 4k for The Burning and Kino's new disc for The White Buffalo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You know how it works, I don't promise any of these arne't expired or already taken

There's a real good one in here.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Gripweed posted:

You know how it works, I don't promise any of these arne't expired or already taken

There's a real good one in here.

Grabbed one and it was The Lighthouse, hell yeah thanks!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Someone got them all

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Managed to get Tar. Thanks!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Whoever got the good one, speak out.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Gripweed posted:

Whoever got the good one, speak out.

what cinematic journey did you inflict on an unsuspecting goon this time

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They all got used already, so someone's keeping quiet

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

zer0spunk posted:

what cinematic journey did you inflict on an unsuspecting goon this time

No this was actually really good. Aside from Black Panther 2 it was all good codes this time, but one was really good.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

You claim it's all good codes, and yet you gifted someone Tar. Curious

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Congrats to whoever got Salo

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Have there been any indications of The Exorcist 4k being delayed? I'm just starting to get a bit worried because there's no cover art yet, a lot of times that means something has been delayed.

Warner seems a little slow these days. They only just announced the August Warner Archive slate today

Which is:

Gay Purr-ee (UPA/Chuck Jones animated feature starring the voices of Judy Garland and Robert Goulet)
Little Women (1933 version starring Katharine Hepburn)
Wichita (50s Allied Artists CinemaScope western)
The Life of Emile Zola (Best Picture winner - only two left are the Warner-owned The Great Ziegfeld and Around the World in 80 Days)
Father's Little Dividend (sequel to the 1951 Father of the Bride, been a public domain staple since forever)
Spinout (60s Elvis movie)

All except Little Women restored from 4K scans of the original camera negative (Little Women is RKO, so it's from the best surviving elements). Looks like most of these will have cartoons and shorts as extras in HD and other DVD extras.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Prime day up and running. Not a bunch of crazy deals but some good ones. I grabbed green knight, casablanca, and singing in the rain.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

BR 2049 is $10 and Fury Road is $15.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Thanks to Prime Day I got The Big Lebowski 4K for about $10 and The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya for $19.99. The entire Paranoia Agent series is about $30 and there's a Marx Brothers box set discounted as well, though I didn't spring for them. Solid deals!

Yesterday I was able to get Arrow's Robocop 4K, Dark Sky's Texas Chain Saw Massacre steelbook, and Shout Factory Halloween from Suncoast in a buy-two-get-one deal. Admittedly more expensive than they would have been online but hey I still saved like $30 and got some dream releases. Good stuff.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If anybody needs a new backpack you can get one with the 5 Bourne movies in 4k thrown in for free for $80: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6D2X25Z/ref=cm_gf_acyi_d_p0_e0_qd2_ux8xmtkeVQhVDaeIXVas

lol

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I would Def buy the first two Bourne movies in 4k but I've read the releases we got were pretty bad so now I'm just stuck with the streaming version.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

I would Def buy the first two Bourne movies in 4k but I've read the releases we got were pretty bad so now I'm just stuck with the streaming version.

Unfortunately The Bourne Identity is the biggest problem, at least from what I gather from the reviews I've seen. Which is always a bummer, when the first movie of an iconic series gets the worst treatment. The reviews for Supremacy and Ultimatum are more middle of the road, the type of UHD we see all the time where it's a well done upscale that amounts to maybe a modest upgrade but nothing that will knock your socks off. Identity though is apparently washed out and just dreary looking, which I think is likely due to a combination of the setting/natural look of the film with a standardized upscale that didn't take those natural qualities into account.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I was not aware of any of that and that's a huge bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Bourne-Trilogy-Blu-ray/11890/#Review

I've still got this blu-ray set which is just a repackage of the original blu-ray releases. Good enough.