Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Dunno, seems pretty accurate to me, at least in terms of generalizations. The part about hostesses misses the mark but meh it's nothing a 無料案内所 can't solve.

Most adults don't want to eat with picky eaters and if you're not going to sing, don't go to goddamn karaoke. That hasn't changed in 40 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

This type of garbage is based on the assumption that Japanese people are a monolith who all think and act the same way about everything, it just rehashes lazy stereotypes from 40 years ago. I'm actually really surprised people are still pumping out this poo poo as "advice" on how to live here.

Ok, so Bad Source. Got it :)

Japan's at the top of my list for places to relocate, and I just want to be on my best behavior since I'm from a country (U.S.) that's notorious for being... well, the U.S. :kiddo:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Honestly, don't get too hung up about committing cultural faux pas or whatever. Japan is fairly easy to live in imo and you'll figure most stuff out in a few months. If you don't, well, you'll be one of those guys.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like karaoke

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Fushimi Inari shrine trek was more arduous for some than expected. I'd done it before when I was in pretty good shape and probably undersold the effort required, but we were all glad we did it because it's just so beautiful. Definitely helped to go early (we started the climb just after 7 am) to avoid the crowds and afternoon heat.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

olives black posted:

Ok, so Bad Source. Got it :)

Japan's at the top of my list for places to relocate, and I just want to be on my best behavior since I'm from a country (U.S.) that's notorious for being... well, the U.S. :kiddo:

How do you plan on moving here?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Mister Chief posted:

Either get lucky and land a dev job (I have about 7 years of experience) or change careers entirely and teach English. I have my Bachelor's Degree, and from what I understand that's the main qualification.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

socketwrencher posted:

Fushimi Inari shrine trek was more arduous for some than expected. I'd done it before when I was in pretty good shape and probably undersold the effort required, but we were all glad we did it because it's just so beautiful. Definitely helped to go early (we started the climb just after 7 am) to avoid the crowds and afternoon heat.

Go after dark. Just to FI. There will be very few people there and it's a cool/different experience.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

olives black posted:

Either get lucky and land a dev job (I have about 7 years of experience) or change careers entirely and teach English. I have my Bachelor's Degree, and from what I understand that's the main qualification.

would strongly recommend either looking for positions in what you're already doing, or try to find a job that will transfer you from the U.S. over, especially if you're 5+ years into working. Just understand the pay is going to be lower here than in the U.S.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Honestly, don't get too hung up about committing cultural faux pas or whatever. Japan is fairly easy to live in imo and you'll figure most stuff out in a few months. If you don't, well, you'll be one of those guys.

Are [rhetorically] you tolerant of foreigners who commit cultural faux pas? Would you hold it against a Japanese person for slurping their noodles?

Yes and no?

Japanese people aren't any different about it.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 8, 2023

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Funnny thing, PSA offered me a job as a software architect but their stock grant was a “grant to buy options” and I was so sick of their poo poo that I declined after accepting, thankfully before they paid me the signing bonus the hot market at the time required so I didn’t have to deal with the clawback. That caused them some discomfort so if you’re in the industry I might have let you know who I am, but whatever. Seeing the random reference gives me PTSD. I especially don’t understand the stock comp cos they’re privately owned.

I’m extremely interested in niche museums and planning a trip for April, only got two weeks so we’re planning on sticking mainly to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka. I appreciate the comment about the Toyota museum being good (willing to have day trips, trains seem nice). Italys Ferrari museum was unexpectedly cool. Any other good recs along those lines? Coming from Los Angeles so my local faves are the Museum of Jurassic Technology, the Center for Land Use Interpretation, and the Hare Krishna museum with the psychedelic imagineer dioramas, if that gives you an idea.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Also when you’re coming from LA most trains seem nice, but Japanese ones famously so. Our trains here are mostly made in Korea so I’ve built up East Asian trains to a major degree in my mind. Taking them is going to be a primary part of my experience. I love trains a lot despite not really being on the autism spectrum, just your average extremely online goon.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

olives black posted:

The later option is rear end backwards. Come as IT and stay as IT.

The very easiest* way in is a spouse visa.

*hardest

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

Are [rhetorically] you tolerant of foreigners who commit cultural faux pas? Would you hold it against a Japanese person for slurping their noodles?

Yes and no?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

totalnewbie posted:

Yes and no?

Agreed

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

zombienietzsche posted:

I’m extremely interested in niche museums and planning a trip for April, only got two weeks so we’re planning on sticking mainly to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka.

The Meguro Parasitological Museum is probably right up your alley and pretty central in Tokyo.

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003

harperdc posted:

The Meguro Parasitological Museum is probably right up your alley and pretty central in Tokyo.

This looks amazing, thank you!

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Waltzing Along posted:

Go after dark. Just to FI. There will be very few people there and it's a cool/different experience.

Whoa, that does sound cool. Didn't know you could do that.

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

I guess natural history isn’t exactly “niche” but Intermediatheque kept me occupied for a good long while today while the rest of my party was shopping in the department store it’s located in. Plenty of cool specimens/artifacts. It’s free and right next to Tokyo station.

The Seiko museum in ginza is also free and absolutely worth a visit if you like old watches and super old clocks.

No embedded links since I’m on my phone and lazy

http://www.intermediatheque.jp/

https://museum.seiko.co.jp/

Plan to visit Ueno park tomorrow to hit up Tokyo National Museum and whatever else looks interesting

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003
Hell yeah those also both look good. I just love when someone is passionate enough about something to curate a museum about it, and given recent discussions please don’t crucify me for characterizing Japan as a cultural monolith - I recognize it’s a country famous for its counter-culture rebellion too (I loving love Guitar Wolf) - but I think being a fifth generation paper manufacturer is like a Japanese cultural trait. Strong attention to details and a passion for the simple things. Maybe I have a warped perception and will experience a reverse Paris Syndrome.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

socketwrencher posted:

Whoa, that does sound cool. Didn't know you could do that.

It's open 24 hours.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Had to be sure you guys all saw this legend at the Abe memorial event.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
I'm sure they're both great but some in our party are debating between Tempura Tenkou and Suehiro in Hiroshima. Is this a can't-really-go-wrong situation?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
English teaching is pretty much minimum wage work now because it's an easy ticket to get into Japan so people are willing to do it for really cheap. A loving minimum wage job that requires a bachelors degree.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I feel like if an English teacher in Japan is not weird or socially inept, dresses well and speaks conversational Japanese that they could teach private in home lessons for a decent amount of money.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

I am pretty sure 99% of people who talk online about wanting to "leave the US because of the political situation to move to another country" never actually do so, and half of those rare ones who do move have a breakdown in year one of moving because it turns out that other countries have problems too and that most people’s personal problems tend to follow them. Also it’s hard to meet good friends when you’re over like age 30, especially if you move somewhere that you don’t speak the local language.

Like I basically can’t imagine what the problem with America is that moving to Japan would help with, that could not be far more easily solved by just moving cities or states within America.

I mean to be sure the US has unique issues but e.g. if you can’t get healthcare in the US, then I doubt Japan will accept you as an immigrant. Some countries explicitly won’t accept you as an immigrant in such cases, like Australia.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Saladman posted:

Like I basically can’t imagine what the problem with America is that moving to Japan would help with, that could not be far more easily solved by just moving cities or states within America.

I can't think of one city in the states that has the combination of proper public safety, strong public infrastructure, no visible mental health / drug addiction / homeless problem, "strong" worker's rights (at least no at-will jurisdiction), respected police force that has accountability etc. Combined with Japan not having to deal with an abundance of military worship and a politically divided population, I can think of many reasons as to how moving to Japan would help with one's mental health and well being.

I agree with you on someone's personal problems following them though. A lot of people think that just by moving cities or even countries will help them but that's not how it works.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Busy Bee posted:

I can't think of one city in the states that has the combination of proper public safety, strong public infrastructure, no visible mental health / drug addiction / homeless problem, "strong" worker's rights (at least no at-will jurisdiction), respected police force that has accountability etc.
Japan's better than the US but some of this stuff definitely does not apply (lmao at anaccountable police force), particularly if you're poor.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Japan's better than the US but some of this stuff definitely does not apply (lmao at anaccountable police force), particularly if you're poor.

I can't imagine it to be a common situation in Japan where there's a video of a Japanese cop shooting an unarmed suspect, or even being physically violent towards one and after public uproar the police force say that they investigated themselves and found no wrongdoing.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 9, 2023

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

That's because they just restrain them in police cells or immigration facilities until they die.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Right, and how many times has that happened in the last few decades? I'm sure it's a very uncommon situation for a country of 125 million people and it pales in comparison to the number of deaths that even happens at the immigration facilities on the US-Mexico border.

The US police force are poorly trained and lack any accountability. I fear them and will limit any interaction I have with them. I can't say the same about the police in Japan.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

There's been several cases of people dying in police detention in the last year alone. You want standards that are more than just being better than US cops.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I can't see how moving to Japan would not improve your physical health. Food better. Water better. More exercise due to things being walkable. Improved physical health will usually improve mental health. You can't escape your karma, though. That definitely follows you around.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Saladman posted:

I am pretty sure 99% of people who talk online about wanting to "leave the US because of the political situation to move to another country" never actually do so, and half of those rare ones who do move have a breakdown in year one of moving because it turns out that other countries have problems too and that most people’s personal problems tend to follow them. Also it’s hard to meet good friends when you’re over like age 30, especially if you move somewhere that you don’t speak the local language.

I mean to be sure the US has unique issues but e.g. if you can’t get healthcare in the US, then I doubt Japan will accept you as an immigrant. Some countries explicitly won’t accept you as an immigrant in such cases, like Australia.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Busy Bee posted:

I feel like if an English teacher in Japan is not weird or socially inept

So not goons, then? :v:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

I can't think of one city in the states that has the combination of proper public safety, strong public infrastructure, no visible mental health / drug addiction / homeless problem, "strong" worker's rights (at least no at-will jurisdiction), respected police force that has accountability etc. Combined with Japan not having to deal with an abundance of military worship and a politically divided population, I can think of many reasons as to how moving to Japan would help with one's mental health and well being.

I agree with you on someone's personal problems following them though. A lot of people think that just by moving cities or even countries will help them but that's not how it works.

Uhm... to put it kindly, you've got a very rose tinted view of the country. There's plenty of homelessness in Tokyo for example, from the older generation to 20 somethings hanging out in Kabukicho cause they got nowhere else to go. There's no drug addiction sure, unless you count alcohol cause there's plenty of alcoholism around.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Archer666 posted:

Uhm... to put it kindly, you've got a very rose tinted view of the country. There's plenty of homelessness in Tokyo for example, from the older generation to 20 somethings hanging out in Kabukicho cause they got nowhere else to go. There's no drug addiction sure, unless you count alcohol cause there's plenty of alcoholism around.

I do not have a rose tinted view of Japan and never said there are no homeless there. When comparing to the homeless in the states, the abundance of homeless in and outside a lot of the major cities in the US (Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Philadelphia etc.) is on a whole another level.

How often are the homeless in Japan using drugs in the open, committing property crime, and defecating on the streets?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

I do not have a rose tinted view of Japan and never said there are no homeless there. When comparing to the homeless in the states, the abundance of homeless in and outside a lot of the major cities in the US (Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Philadelphia etc.) is on a whole another level.

Strong worker's rights? In Japan? For minimum wage workers in hard jobs, sure maybe. For the class/jobs of Americans who have the money and capacity to actually pick up sticks and move to Japan, absolutely not. Someone working at an Ikea checkout line in the USA isn't going to get a visa to go work in Japan.

Military worship, politically divided population: sure on a societal basis, but if you live in San Francisco you're literally never going to see any political division between the population nor military worship. Basically, if you stop reading Twitter then those problems disappear and you don't even have to move across the Pacific Ocean. Japan also has some pretty bad military worship issues going on (Yasukuni), but yes you'd be able to ignore it just fine as a foreigner. You can also ignore it just fine in the USA, it's not North Korea where you hear the US military anthem played before every movie in the cinema or whatever.

Homeless/alcohol/especially mental health issues: certainly more visible in the USA, but again these societal issues also don't really affect one personally. If you live in San Clemente, you also won't see any homeless people or any (visible) drug addicts either, and that barely requires moving counties from LA, let alone across the Pacific Ocean. All those other big cities you mention: there are also many smaller cities in the USA or nice suburbs/satellite cities of those specific ones where you won't personally encounter homelessness, violence, crime, etc.

If it is not about "seeing" those issues, but the problem is that morally you're in a society that does nothing about them: then why is moving to Japan any better for one's conscience than moving to a city in the USA that doesn't have those issues? Now you're ignoring the problem even more than someone who moved out of Venice Beach and to San Clemente.

What you've said are all real societal problems but they are not the types of things to personally affect the people who have the money, internationally-recognized-employment-skills, and wherewithal to move their life across the world, and issues like racism are going to be way worse in Japan than in the US.

E: I mean I left the USA many years ago, not really for any of those reasons I just wanted to spend a year doing something else, so I get it to some extent, but except for worker's rights all of those other issues are abstract and 100% ignorable for anyone who is an IT professional with the capacity to move abroad. And worker's rights are absolutely not better in Japan for people in highly-specific/trained professions. By all means the OP may benefit from moving to Japan, but anyone whose reasons are "because society is icky in the USA and every other country in the entire world is better than Amerikkkka*" seems to be starting off really on the wrong track.

*That was not the OP's phrasing, but I've seen other people phrase it literally like that.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 9, 2023

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I mentioned specifically "at-will" jobs in the US where one can get fired or laid off for any reason, this is more difficult in Japan. Having stability at work and knowing that you can't get easily laid off is great for one's mental health.

Unless you expect someone who has the money and skills to move their life across the world to not have any hobbies or friends while being devoid of any US media and living outside a major US metropolitan area, then yes, all the problems I mentioned personally affects them in one way or another.

Again, not saying Japan is perfect. But there are many problems that can be fixed for one's personal well being and mental health by going from the US to Japan if it applies to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
As someone who visited a bajillion times, and met enough goons in Japan. Living in japan is a completely different beast, heck sometimes I’m worried I know too much Japanese because those random conversations you hear in the bar, or those cute signs you see is just like city life else where: someone’s work problems, or some advertising.

I agree with what saladman is saying, but I like to add one major difference about life in japan cities versus North America/Australias - japan is a lot less car depended and a lot easier (albeit still not cheap) getting around. The post ww2 suburbia with cul de sacs and lawn, is so expensive and excessive to maintain and you need to drive 15-25 minutes for each trip is crazy. Hey nice spacious bathrooms and space to spend the panedmic though!

But Shinkansen ain’t cheap and once you are living in japan you rather fly LCC or to Neighboring countries instead of another city.