Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

anyone for battlebits? add me on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Why in the heck does it take so many hits to get melee kills (and why aren't most of these people fighting back)?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cant say I've tried to kill someone with a sledgehammer but I imagine if you don't get a direct hit to an unprotected cranium it probably takes several blows to end a life

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

there’s no melee in Battlebit besides the hammers and people almost never use them so those players were blindly running from what they perceived as incoming fire. it’s a two hit kill (I didn’t see any armor breaking icons but that might be relevant and make it 3 sometimes) but connecting is probably tricky since nobody is used to the melee hitbox as it basically never comes up

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

starship troopers extermination has the foundation for a game that could be really fuckin good if the devs play their cards right. the animations need a lot of work and the load outs are barebones but what is there makes sense and produces dynamics that I can see being a lot of fun once there’s a bit more complexity in the mix. every round ends with building a base and defending it against a horde, which they could tweak pretty easily with lots of options, and I’d like to see UI stuff that removes all the super modern bloat elements (all the floating icons and pointless stuff like infestation level) but the basic feeling that comes with extracting as a full team and working as a group to revive the last guy and get them on the lander owns

every round I build a tower and put a machine gun on it and then jet pack away when they inevitably knock it down, I’m looking forward to doing that with rocket turrets and whatnot when they’re added

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I died to a sledgehammer yesterday too. the guy looked friendly (didn't shoot me immediately) and I couldn't understand why I was dying

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i had some serious malding in battlebit earlier because the game was constantly eating my inputs and then i found out that i forgot to turn vsync off 60 hours ago when i first launched the game and I'm dumb as poo poo

Frog Act posted:

starship troopers extermination has the foundation for a game that could be really fuckin good if the devs play their cards right. the animations need a lot of work and the load outs are barebones but what is there makes sense and produces dynamics that I can see being a lot of fun once there’s a bit more complexity in the mix. every round ends with building a base and defending it against a horde, which they could tweak pretty easily with lots of options, and I’d like to see UI stuff that removes all the super modern bloat elements (all the floating icons and pointless stuff like infestation level) but the basic feeling that comes with extracting as a full team and working as a group to revive the last guy and get them on the lander owns

every round I build a tower and put a machine gun on it and then jet pack away when they inevitably knock it down, I’m looking forward to doing that with rocket turrets and whatnot when they’re added

play arc slam

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Frog Act posted:

quote:

I am a 55 year old biker and trucker father, and probably one of the oldest people playing this game. I am a single father to my son, who is 15 now. My son got this game for from his uncle, so we installed it on his computer and he started playing. By the end of the week he had 12 hours on this game. This was horrible for me, as it was already hard for me to find ways to spend time with my son, as he is always out with his friends or just watching YouTube. So i decided to get this game to see if I could maybe play alongside him. I loaded into the game and started playing but I confused about the mechanics. I asked my son for help and he taught me the basics. Me and my son then played a few matches and I loved it as it was the best time I had spent with my son since my wife had died. We didn't end up playing the game much but it helped me and my song learn that we share an interest in shooter games and it made us try more of them.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i played BF1942 with my dad once time. and by that I mean I showed him how to play and set him up in a single player game against bots in danzig with a dp28 and he cackled as he mowed down nazis

it was good bonding

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

alarumklok posted:

why do you have to hit them so many times with a sledgehammer?

pickaxe/sledge is a two hit kill iirc. and it works like a gun reticle only lol. no actual swipe

Ytlaya posted:

(and why aren't most of these people fighting back)?

this game operates on killing people from blindspots/managing corridors, the melee weapons are very silent relative to what noises you expect to be on guard against.

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Jul 9, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

getting near the end of Dave the Diver (or so I imagine) and it yet again throws in another great mechanic with controlling Dave and the merman simultaneously. game just keeps being novel and fresh.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just finished it myself and can report that I was enjoying it as much at hour 40 as I was at hour 1, up to and including still having new mechanics thrown at me. That's an impressive feat, can't really express how impressed with the game I am. Still loading it up for some chill gaming and because there's still plenty to do after credits, doubly so with DLC obviously being on the table now if the dev screenshots I've seen are any indication

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

my bony fealty posted:

getting near the end of Dave the Diver (or so I imagine) and it yet again throws in another great mechanic with controlling Dave and the merman simultaneously. game just keeps being novel and fresh.

yeah that ruled. its great how many mechanics they keep putting in, but, if i had one major complaint is the game is too short and doesn't really let you use a lot of those mechanics to the fullest before being over. i.e. farming. i kept playing through the game expecting another 8 hours or something left based on the fishing pools but oops it's over. QQ now i'm sad

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

the vibe in SF6 is absolutely mesmerizing; I actually have to force myself to take breaks or else I'm gonna tear up my thumb and I can't play at all

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Homeless Friend posted:

pickaxe/sledge is a two hit kill iirc. and it works like a gun reticle only lol. no actual swipe

this game operates on killing people from blindspots/managing corridors, the melee weapons are very silent relative to what noises you expect to be on guard against.

people in battlebit also have terminal bystander effect and will gladly ignore an enemy right beside them shooting teammates so it isn't too surprising that a guy with a sledgehammer could go ham

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
i always thought the persona games were stupid and lame

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Koirhor posted:

i always thought the persona games were stupid and lame

you thought right but they can still be fun with the right frame of mind

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

nobody ever talks about the real black sheep of atlus politics: Catherine

e: lol no pun intended

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

people in battlebit also have terminal bystander effect and will gladly ignore an enemy right beside them shooting teammates so it isn't too surprising that a guy with a sledgehammer could go ham

the amount of people unable to push 3 and hold down a mouse button for free points in a place of complete safety is beyond reckoning

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

it’s a free 400 points that I never skip but most players are so 100% tunnel visioned that the idea of engaging in collaborative play doesn’t even occur to them

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Homeless Friend posted:

the amount of people unable to push 3 and hold down a mouse button for free points in a place of complete safety is beyond reckoning

nah gently caress that. Healing people anywhere besides uncontested capture points surrounded by teammates is usually a death sentence as the person you're healing inevitably gives away your position in prox chat, gets shot in the back while facing away from the only doorway into your room, or stands up out of cover until you're both killed by a grenade or RPG. and then usually if you're the only one who died they just wander off and leave you

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

turn off the TV posted:

nah gently caress that. Healing people anywhere besides uncontested capture points surrounded by teammates is usually a death sentence as the person you're healing inevitably gives away your position in prox chat, gets shot in the back while facing away from the only doorway into your room, or stands up out of cover until you're both killed by a grenade or RPG. and then usually if you're the only one who died they just wander off and leave you

400 points is 400 points

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

If they want to heal so bad then they should figure out how medkits work. Zero people ever use them

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Medic in Planetside 2 was always a blast because you could be healing and reviving people WHILE you're shooting people with the best guns in the game lol

Revive nades had to be 30% of my experience. Sure they're all just going to get killed again immediately but that just got me a scope and a couple seconds where nobody is firing at me

I guess in theory some could live if they're quick enough or I'm strolling in with like 30 other dudes

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

sometimes I see a guy in a match who is like 0-3 and they’re in first place by a wide margin which I think is a result of committed medkit usage. definitely not the norm though

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWovS4oR7ro

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

turn off the TV posted:

this sounds like a skill issue

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Buck Wildman posted:

you thought right but they can still be fun with the right frame of mind

The secret trick to enjoying Persona games - opiates

Some of my fondest memories are of playing Persona 4 in 2008/2009 while on tramadols

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

persona 3 and onward are accessible and simplified renditions of smt's mechanics, something that definitely carries value with how opaque and unforgiving the main series and other spinoffs like devil survivor can be. they also have an undeniably stylish aesthetic, particularly imo the music. they are also cliche anime dating sim tripe with all the baggage that medium carries, and to expect any deeper moral standard or philosophical nuance from that is ridiculous. I fully understand why they're so popular but lol at being upset that they aren't smart enough for your taste, get real

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
yo these chowder man songs are actually pretty good?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Buck Wildman posted:

persona 3 and onward are accessible and simplified renditions of smt's mechanics, something that definitely carries value with how opaque and unforgiving the main series and other spinoffs like devil survivor can be. they also have an undeniably stylish aesthetic, particularly imo the music. they are also cliche anime dating sim tripe with all the baggage that medium carries, and to expect any deeper moral standard or philosophical nuance from that is ridiculous. I fully understand why they're so popular but lol at being upset that they aren't smart enough for your taste, get real

you sure are overreacting a lot to people rightfully calling dated transphobic humor stupid and lame

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
:sam:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Augus posted:

you sure are overreacting a lot to people rightfully calling dated transphobic humor stupid and lame

I fully agree with those people, I'm reacting to people expecting better from it

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

it's like watching texas chainsaw massacre and being upset it's not more feminist

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Augus posted:

maybe some people think "no, it's intentionally made to be stupid kitsch trash with catchy music" is a brilliant defense that automatically invalidates the opinion of anyone who objects to some of its content?

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
standing at my eternal post in the du'at, weighing the heart of every game developer

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I enjoyed Persona 5 well enough, but it's kinda impressive how quickly it fumbles its themes after the first dungeon

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

croup coughfield posted:

standing at my eternal post in the du'at, weighing the heart of every game developer

seeing if my heart weighs lighter than my waifu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Grey Fox posted:

the vibe in SF6 is absolutely mesmerizing; I actually have to force myself to take breaks or else I'm gonna tear up my thumb and I can't play at all

ive been grinding ranked and its so much better than any other ranked online experience in a fg.
i get to deny bullshit wifi losers
i get to play crossplay
i get near instant rematches
i get matched almost too fast to practice combos in training mode.
i get the option to play the guy in a private lobby if the best of 3 wasnt enough.
its great.